Daily Current Affairs and GK | 18 January 2020
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with EU High representative Josep Borrell Fontelles
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held interactions with European Union High representative Josep Borrell Fontelles.
- India –EU 2020 summit will be held in Brussels.
- European Union is an economic and political union between 28 countries. 19 out of 28 member states have single currency Euro.
- EU is the largest trade bloc in the world.
2. Russia to provide S-400 air defense system to India by 2025
- Russia will provide an S-400 air defense system to India by 2025.
- S-400 is surface- air long-range missile system for India.
- The contract is to be finalized after the joint production of Kamov lightweight multi-role military helicopters for India.
- The deal to buy an air defense missile system was signed in 2018 for USD 5 billion.
3. APNA- UREA - Sona Ugle brand of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Limited (HURL) inaugurated by Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda
- APNA- UREA – Sona Ugle brand of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Limited (HURL) was inaugurated by Chemicals and Fertiliser minister D.V.Sadanand Gowda in New Delhi.
- HURL is a joint venture company and is promoted by three Maharatnas i.e Coal India Limited, NTPC Limited, and Indian Oil Corporation Limited.
- The government had already approved the revival of three sick urea plants in Gorakhpur, Sindri, and Barauni.
- Two plants at Ramagundam and Talcher will commence the operation.
4. Sardar Patel National Unity Award-2020 nominations open till April 30, 2020
- The nominations for Sardar Patel National Unity Award 2020 have been invited.
- Sardar Patel National unity award is one of the highest civilian awards which is given for the contribution in the promotion of unity and integrity of India.
- The award will be announced on October 31, 2020, the National Unity Day and the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
5. INR 2000 crore awarded for the completion of Z Morh tunnel
- A concession agreement was signed for the completion of 6.5Km Z Morh Tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The bi-directional tunnel will be completed in 3.5 years at a cost of INR 2379 crore.
- The tunnel will be built on Design, Build, Finance, Operate (DBFO) and Transfer Annuity model (TAM).
- For this, a pact has been signed between NHIDCL and APCO Amarnathji Tunnelway.
- The tunnel connects Gagangir and Sonmarg in Jammu and Kashmir and thus facilitates the all-weather road connectivity between Srinagar and Leh.
6. Tejas Express train between Mumbai- Ahmedabad started
- Tejas Express train from Mumbai to Ahmedabad has been flagged off.
- The train is operated by IRCTC and will run on six- days a week basis except for Thursdays.
- Tejas is a semi-high speed fully air-conditioned train.
- The first private Tejas Express is running between Lucknow and New Delhi, with only two halts- Kanpur and Ghaziabad.
7. Oleksiy Honcharuk, the Prime Minister of Ukraine, resigned
- Ukraine Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk has given his resignation to the Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- He is the youngest head Ukraine ever had, as he became Prime Minister at the age of 35 years.
- Ukraine: It is a Black sea country with the capital Kyiv and currency Ukrainian hryvnia.
8. Former Indian all-rounder Bapi Nadkarni passed away
- The former Indian all-rounder Bapi Nadkarni had passed away at the age of 86.
- He started his debut against New Zealand in Delhi in 1955 and played his last test in Auckland against New Zealand under MAK Pataudi as captain.
- He is known for bowling 21 successive maiden overs in a test match.
9. Madhya Pradesh Assembly approved 126th Constitutional Amendment Bill 2019
- MP’s Assembly has passed the 126th Constitutional Amendment Bill 2019.
- The bill seeks to increase the reservation of SC, ST in Lok Sabha and legislative assemblies for the next 10 years.
- The reservation for SCs and STs in the Lok Sabha and Legislative Assemblies is to be expired on 25th January 2020.
10. National Democratic Front of Bodoland signed Suspension of Operation Agreement with Centre and state government
- NDFB has signed the suspension of operation agreement with the centre and the state government.
- President of the outfit B Saoraigwra, Joint Secretary (North East) of Home Ministry Satyendra Garg and Assam Home Commissioner Ashutosh Agnihotri have signed the agreement.
- The NDFB has agreed to join the peace process.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Which type of missile system is S-400?
A. Surface to Surface
B. Surface to Air
C. Air to Air
D. None of the above
2. Suspension of Operation agreement has been signed recently with which of the following?
A. National Democratic Front of Bodoland
B. National Socialist Council of Nagaland
C. United Liberation Front of Assam
D. Reang tribe
3. The Central government has proposed the revival of five sick fertilizer plants. Which of the following is not one of them?
4. National Unity Day is celebrated on which of the following dates?
A. October 30
B. October 31
C. October 29
D. October 28
5. Z Morh tunnel is located in which of the following of the states/UTs?
B. Jammu and Kashmir
6. Oleksiy Honcharuk is the Prime Minister of which of the following countries?
7. Bapi Nadkarni is related to which of the following fields?
8. 126th Constitutional Amendment Bill is related to which of the following issues?
9. European Union is a political and economic union between how many countries?
10. The first private train Tejas Express is running between which of the following two cities?
A. Ahmedabad and Mumbai
B. Kanpur and Ghaziabad
C. Lucknow and New Delhi
D. Kolkata and New Delhi