Daily Current Affairs and GK | 17 January 2020
1. Agreement for permanent settle of Bru or Reang people in Tripura signed
- The union government signed an agreement with stakeholders from Tripura and Mizoram, setting the 22 years old refugee crisis issue.
- 30 thousand Brus would be permanently settled in Tripura.
- An INR 600 crore package has been approved by the center for the tribe.
- Under assistance, refugees will be given 40 x 30 feet plot, a fixed deposit of four lakh rupees, cash assistance of five thousand rupees per month for two years and free ration.
- Bru tribals from Mizoram are living in Tripura as refugees since 1997.
- Bru/ Reang tribe: It is the schedule tribe living in parts of Mizoram, Tripura, and Assam.
2. Vasudev Mohi to be given 29th Saraswati Samman
- Sindhi writer Vasudev Mohi to be conferred with 29th Saraswati Samman.
- He has been selected for his short stories collection- Chequebook which talks about the sufferings of the marginalized section of the society.
- Saraswati Samman:
- It is the award for any literary work in 22 languages of the 8th schedule of the constitution.
- It carries a cash award of 15 lakh rupees, a citation, and a plaque.
3. Senior advocate Harish Salve appointed as Queen’s counsel for England and Wales
- Harish Salve has been appointed as the Queen’s counsel for the courts of England and Wales.
- This was announced by the Ministry of Justice Department, UK.
- The title is given to those who possess advocacy skills and expertise.
- The appointment is done by the Queen on the advice of Lord Chancellor, who in turn, is advised by the independent selection panel.
- Advocate Salve has served as the Solicitor General of India till 2002 and known to represent India in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case in the International Court of Justice.
4. India launched GSAT-30 satellite
- India has successfully placed a GSAT-30 satellite in the orbit.
- It has been launched onboard Arian 5 rocket from French Guiana.
- It will replace the INSAT-4A satellite, the first satellite in the series of INSAT-4.
5. 51st K9 Vajra-T guns dedicated to the nation
- 51st K9 Vajra-T self-propelled howitzer gun has been dedicated to the nation.
- It is manufactured by L&T.
- The guns have been made at Hazira in Gujarat.
- The weight of the gun is 50 tonnes and can fire 47 Kg bombs at a distance of 43 Km.
- It can turn at zero radius.
6. Alok Kansal appointed as General Manager of the Western Railways
- Alok Kansal has been appointed as the General Manager of the Western Railways.
- Western Railways: The headquarter of the western railways is in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It came into existence on 5 November 1951.
7. 1st edition of Krishi Manthan started in Ahmedabad
- Krishi- Manthan, the largest Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia, has started in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- The 1st edition of the summit is being organized by IIM, Ahmedabad.
- More than 1500 delegates are participating in the summit.
8. Mikhail Mishustin, the new Prime minister of Russia
- After the resignation of Dimitry Medvedev, the nomination of Mikhail Mishustin has been approved as the new Prime Minister of Russia.
- The move came after the resignation of the federal government after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced some constitutional changes.
9. ICC Men’s Cricket Award 2019
- Rohit Sharma has been named as the '2019 ODI Cricketer of the Year'.
- Ben Stokes has been awarded ‘Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy’ for the player of the year.
- Virat Kohli won the 'Spirits of Cricket' award along with the captain of ICC's Test and ODI teams of the year.
- Pat Cummins was named as the Test Player of the year.
- Deepak Chahar won the T20 International Performance of the Year award.
- Marnus Labuschagne has been named as the emerging cricketer of the year.
10. HSN Code will be made compulsory for the import of the goods
- HSN Code will be made compulsory for the imports into India.
- The announcement was made by the Commerce minister Piyush Goyal at 6th National Standards Conclave on the subject of Standards for Trade Facilitation.
- HSN: Also known as the Harmonized System of Nomenclature, it is a 6 digit code that is used to classify products worldwide.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. In which of the following states Bru tribe is found in India?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Himachal Pradesh
2. Literature belonging to how many languages are given the Saraswati Samman?
3. Queen’s counsel for England and Wales title is given in which of the following fields?
D. Skill Development
4. K-9 Vajira T guns have been manufactured in
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Himachal Pradesh
5. Where is the headquarters of Western Railways located?
6. 1st edition of Krishi Manthan has been launched in which of the following cities?
7. Which cricketer has been picked up for ‘Spirits of the cricket’ award in ICC Men cricket award 2019?
A. Kuldeep Yadav
B. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
C. Rohit Sharma
D. Virat Kohli
8. Mikhail Mishustin is the new Prime minister of which country?
9. GSAT-30 has been launched from which of the following countries?
C. French Guiana
10. Which of the following is the correct full form of HSN?
A. Harmonized System of Numbers
B. Harmonized System of Nomenclature
C. Harmonized System of Network
D. Harmonized System of Neurons