Daily Current Affairs and GK | 16 January 2020
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. Budget session to start on January 31, 2020
- The budget session will start on January 31.
- The whole session will be carried out in two phases, thus concluding on April 3, 2020.
- Since 2016, the Union Budget is presented on 1st February while before that, it was presented on the last working day of February.
2. Saksham, the fuel conservation campaign to be launched
- Saksham, a people-centric fuel conservation campaign to be launched.
- It is a one-month long campaign to be launched by Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan in New Delhi.
3. 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), India region to be held in Lucknow
- Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh will host the 7th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, India region.
- The conference will be held in the Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.
- The theme of the conference is “Role of Legislators”.
- The event will be participated by 100 delegates of 15 state assemblies and some foreign countries.
- Commonwealth Parliamentary Association conference:
- The conference is held by CPA to discuss important political issues.
- It is an annual meet.
4. Postal Ballots to be used in Delhi elections for specific section
- Postal Ballots can now be used by Persons with Disability and the age-old persons having age over 80 years in Delhi elections.
- Delhi Metro, Northern Railway Employees, and media persons can also use the postal ballot.
- Up till now, only armed forces and personnel assigned election duty could only cast their votes through postal ballots.
5. Anand Prakash Maheshwari elected as new Director-General of CRPF
- Anand Prakash Maheshwari has been chosen as the new DG of Central Reserve Police Force.
- Central Reserve Police Force is the largest Central Armed Police Force.
- It is under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
6. 10th Foundation day of ILBS, New Delhi celebrated
- 10th Foundation Day of Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, ILBS held in New Delhi.
- It is a mono- super speciality hospital in New Delhi.
- It has been established by the government of Delhi as an autonomous institution.
7. SIT recommendations accepted by the centre in Anti- Sikh riot cases
- Centre has accepted the SIT recommendations in anti- Sikh riot cases.
- The Special Investigation Team was headed by retired Delhi High Court judge Justice SN Dhingra.
- The anti- Sikh riots occurred in 1984 after the murder of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
8. India and Uzbekistan foreign ministers hold talks in New Delhi
- Indian External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and his Uzbekistan counterpart Abdulaziz Kamilov hold talks in New Delhi.
- The talks were focused on boosting bilateral trade and investment.
- It is a Central Asian country with capital Tashkent.
- Its currency is Uzbekistani soʻm.
9. Federal government resigned in Russia
- Federal government of Russia has resigned.
- The move came after Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed changes in the constitution to increase the powers of Parliament.
- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev resigned from his post.
- It is the world’s largest country in terms of area.
- Its capital is Moscow with a currency Ruble.
10. 1st Food Processing summit being held in Ladakh
- 1st Food Processing summit was organized by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the UT Administration of Ladakh.
- The summit aims to boost entrepreneurship in Ladakh in the food processing industry.
- Ladakh: It is the newest Union Territory of India formed after separation from Jammu and Kashmir.
- The first and current LG of Ladakh is Radha Krishna Mathur.
Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs)
1. The Saksham initiative is related to which of the following?
A. Pension for Senior Citizens
B. Child Welfare
C. Fuel Conservation
D. Women Empowerment
2. The 7th conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, India region, will be organised in-
3. The ballot system will now be used by a specific section during the elections of which of the following assembly?
D. Madhya Pradesh
4. Since when did the Union Budget is presented on 1st February?
5. Who has been appointed as the new Director-General of CRPF?
A. Krishna Kumar Singh
B. Prahlad Verman
C. Anand Prakash Maheshwari
D. Rajveer Singh Badhana
6. Where is the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences located?
A. New Delhi
7. Who among the following chaired the special investigation committee for 1984 Sikh riots?
A. R S Singh
B. S N Dhingra
C. M Hadiyatullah
D. C S Rao
8. Tashkent is the capital of which of the following countries?
9. Recently the federal government of which of the following country has resigned?
10. Who is the current Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh?
A. Radha Krishna Mathur
B. R K Sharma
C. K R Ramaswamy
D. Shiv Ram Kumar