- 1. Salman Rushdie has written a new book title “Languages of Truth: Essays 2003-2020”.
- 2. RDSO becomes first standards body to join 'One Nation, One Standard' scheme.
- 3. BRICS Foreign Minister meeting concluded virtually.
- 4. Telangana celebrates its foundation day every year on 2 June.
- 5. Lt Gen Ajai Singh assumes charge as 16th CINCAN on June 01, 2021.
- 6. SBI lowers India’s FY22 economic growth forecast to 7.9%.
- 7. Union Health Minister launched digitized versions of health schemes on NHA’s IT platform.
- 8. India-Australia agreed for cooperation in the field of Agriculture.
- 9. J B Mohapatra appointed as interim chairman of CBDT.
- 10. First human case of infection with H10N3 bird flu reported from China’s eastern province of Jiangsu.
- 11. First Asia Pacific Public Sector Cyber Security Executive Council launched by Microsoft.
- 12. Agri services e-marketplace portal launched by the CSC E-Governance India Ltd (CSC SPV).
REPUBLIC DAY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code REPUBLIC
Topic: Books and Authors
1. Salman Rushdie has written a new book title “Languages of Truth: Essays 2003-2020”.
- Salman Rushdie has penned a new book title “Languages of Truth: Essays 2003-2020”.
- It is a collection of insightful and inspiring essays, criticism, and speeches.
- It has been published by Random House.
- In this book, he has written about the change in literature and culture between 2003 and 2020.
- Quichotte, Midnight's Children, Shame are some famous books by Salman Rushdie.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
2. RDSO becomes first standards body to join 'One Nation, One Standard' scheme.
- The Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) has become the first standard body to join the 'One Nation, One Standard' scheme.
- RDSO has been recognized as a 'Standard Developing Organisation' (SDO) by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). The recognition will be valid for three years.
- The recognition will help RDSO in aligning its standard formulation procedures with the WTO-TBT code of good practice.
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is implementing the 'One Nation, One Standard' scheme across the country. It is making efforts to encourage standardization of Organizations.
- RDSO is a standard body for the railway sector.
- 'One Nation, One Standard' scheme:
- It was launched by the Ministry of Railways and the Ministry of Consumer Affairs on 1 June 2021.
- The main aim of this scheme is to synergize standards adopted by various Standard Development Organisations in the country.
- It will improve the quality and services produced in India.
- It will be reviewed once every five years.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
3. BRICS Foreign Minister meeting concluded virtually.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar chaired the meeting of BRICS foreign ministers through video conferencing. Foreign ministers of Brazil, Russia, China, and South Africa participated in this meeting.
- In this meeting, Ministers agreed to cooperate on the pillars of political and security, economic and finance, and People to people and cultural exchanges.
- They also discuss the social and economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and also agreed on the need for reform in the United Nations and other multilateral organizations.
- They also discussed many issues including sustainable development, Terrorism, intra-BRICS cooperation, etc.
- All member countries adopted and released the ‘BRICS Joint Ministerial Statement on Strengthening and Reforming of the Multilateral System’.
- The Ministers reiterated their commitment to establish BRICS Vaccine Research and Development Center.
Topic: Important Days
4. Telangana celebrates its foundation day every year on 2 June.
- Telangana is celebrating its 8th Formation Day on 2 June 2021.
- On the occasion of its formation day, celebration events will be organized in all the districts of the state and Hyderabad.
- Telangana was formed as the 29th state of India in 2014. In 2013, the Congress Working Committee (CWC) passed a resolution for the formation of Telangana.
- Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act (APRA), 2014 bill was passed by Parliament in February 2014. Telangana was formed by carving out ten districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao is the first Chief Minister of Telangana.
5. Lt Gen Ajai Singh assumes charge as 16th CINCAN on June 01, 2021.
- Lt Gen Ajai Singh assumed charge as 16th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman & Nicobar Command (CINCAN) on June 01, 2021.
- The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) is the only tri-service theatre command of the Armed Forces. It is based in Port Blair.
- He has the privilege of working in various posts across all six of the Army’s geographical Commands as well as at the Army Training Command.
Kolkata, West Bengal
Army Training Command
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- He was commissioned in December 1983 into 81 Armoured Regiment, a Regiment raised by his late father.
- He is an alumnus of the Lawrence School, Sanawar and NDA & IMA. He has also worked with United Nations as a Military Observer at Angola.
- He commanded a Rifle Company in Operations VIJAY (Kargil) and MEGHDOOT (Siachen Glacier).
Topic: Indian Economy
6. SBI lowers India’s FY22 economic growth forecast to 7.9%.
- The latest SBI Ecowrap report has projected India’s FY22 economic growth forecast at 7.9% and this is lower than the previous growth projection. Previously, it has projected economic growth of 10.4%.
- The report notes that the impact on the economy would be disproportionately larger this time.
- According to SBI Ecowrap, the provisional projection of real GDP for FY21 has been increased upwards to Rs 135.13 lakh crore from Rs 134.09 lakh crore in the second advance estimates.
- Ecowrap report is brought by State Bank of India based on information and data obtained from various sources.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. Union Health Minister launched digitized versions of health schemes on NHA’s IT platform.
- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched digitized versions of major Health Schemes on the IT platform of the National Health Authority.
- The digitalized version has been launched to provide cashless and paperless healthcare services to beneficiaries.
- The Union Health Minister launched digitalized version of the Central Government Health Scheme, Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi, and Health Minister’s Discretionary Grant.
- Central Government Health Scheme:
- It was started in 1954.
- It provides comprehensive health care facilities to the Central Government employees and pensioners and their dependents.
- Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi:
- It was set up as a society under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- It was launched to provide financial assistance to patients living below the poverty line and suffering from major life-threatening diseases.
- It provides financial assistance up to Rs 2 lakh.
- Health Minister's Discretionary Grant: Under this grant, financial assistance up to Rs 1 lakh is provided to poor patients.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
8. India-Australia agreed for cooperation in the field of Agriculture.
- During a virtual meeting, India and Australia agreed for cooperation and collaboration in the field of Agriculture.
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and his counterpart Mr. David Littleproud participated in the meeting based on the theme of Agriculture, Drought & Emergency Management.
- The main objective of this collaboration is to use Australia’s expertise in post-harvest management. It will help in reducing the losses and wastage of grains and strengthen the storage facility in rural areas.
- Both the Ministers expressed their satisfaction with the market access of their respective Agricultural products. Recently, Australia has given market access to Indian pomegranates.
- India and Australia are also working closely on the cooperation on climate change. Both countries will also exchange technical expertise in the field of agriculture.
- Both nations are Comprehensive Strategic Partners since 2020.
9. J B Mohapatra appointed as interim chairman of CBDT.
- After the tenure of P C Mody ended, J B Mohapatra has been given additional charge of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) chairman.
- J B Mohapatra will hold the charge for a period of three months or till the appointment of a regular chairman. At present, J B Mohapatra is also working as a member of CBDT.
- He has also served as the principal chief commissioner of Income Tax for the Andhra Pradesh and Telangana region.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes:
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes frames policy for the Income Tax Department.
- It is headed by a chairman and comprises six members.
- Income Tax Department is headed by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
10. First human case of infection with H10N3 bird flu reported from China’s eastern province of Jiangsu.
- First human case of infection with H10N3 bird flu reported from China’s eastern province of Jiangsu.
- H10N3 is a rare strain of bird flu. H10N3 cannot spread easily in humans. No case of human infection with H10N3 was reported globally yet.
- H10N3 is low pathogenic. This means that its infection leads to less severe disease in poultry. It may not lead to large scale outbreak.
- Many strains of bird flu are found in China. Only some strains sporadically infect people.
- During 2016-2017, nearly 300 people were killed by H7N9 strain. Since then, no significant number of human infections with bird flu has been reported.
- Avian influenza or Bird flu:
- It is a highly infectious and severe respiratory disease in birds caused by the H5N1 influenza virus.
- It can spread from birds to animals. It can also transmit to humans.
- H5N1 is the most common form of bird flu. There is no vaccine for humans against avian flu.
Topic: International News
11. First Asia Pacific Public Sector Cyber Security Executive Council launched by Microsoft.
- First Asia Pacific Public Sector Cyber Security Executive Council has been launched by Microsoft.
- It consists of policy makers and influencers from Brunei, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- The council aims to accelerate public-private partnerships in cybersecurity and share threat intelligence. The council will meet virtually on a quarterly basis.
- As part of the council, government agencies and state leaders will join a forum. The forum includes Microsoft and its cybersecurity industry advisors.
- Encounter rates for malware and ransomware attacks are higher-than-average in the case of APAC. APAC means Asia-Pacific (A-sia PAC-ific).
- It is an American multinational technology company.
- It is headquartered in Redmond, Washington, United States.
- Its CEO is Satya Nadella.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. Agri services e-marketplace portal launched by the CSC E-Governance India Ltd (CSC SPV).
- Agri services e-marketplace portal has been launched by the CSC E-Governance India Ltd (CSC SPV).
- The portal mainly aims to help small farmers. Farmers will be able to buy seeds, fertilisers, pesticides and other agri-input products through the portal.
- Farmers will also be able to hire and rent farm machinery at affordable costs through this portal.
- Tele-consultation with scientists of Krishi Vigyan Kendras of ICAR is also being made available to farmers through the portal.
- Various government schemes for farmers and loans with better interest rates will also be offered through the portal.
- CSC E-Governance India Ltd (CSC SPV):
- CSC SPV is a special purpose vehicle under the Ministry of Electronics & IT. It provides a number of services to consumers through common service centres.
- It currently operates around 3.74 lakh CSCs, out of which 80% are functional in rural and semi-urban areas.