- 1. Kondapochamma reservoir of Telangana is ready to receive water from Godavari
- 2. Union Cabinet approved proposal of Ministry of Finance to introduce a new special liquidity scheme
- 3. Didi Vehicle Service started in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh
- 4. Launch of Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund
- 5. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged world leaders to send video statements
- 6. Coir Geo textiles will be used for rural road construction
- 7. National Test Abhyas mobile app launched
- 8. Union Cabinet extended the term of Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana by three years
- 9. Union Cabinet introduced the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme
- 10. Nepal unveiled new map claiming three regions of Uttarakhand
- 11. May 21: Anti-Terrorism Day
REPUBLIC DAY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code REPUBLIC
1. Kondapochamma reservoir of Telangana is ready to receive water from Godavari
- The Kondapokhamma reservoir, built in the Gajwel constituency of Telangana, is set to receive water from Godavari.
- Five reservoirs are being built in Siddipet district of Telangana - Annapurna, Ranganaikasagar, Mallannasagar, Kondapochamma and Gouravelli.
- Work on the three reservoirs Annapurna, Ranganaik and Kondapochamma has been completed, while works on Mallannasagar and Gouravelli are pending.
- This reservoir, for which 4,600 acres of land has been acquired, will provide irrigation to about 2.85 lakh acres of land.
- Telangana is a state in southern India.
- Its capital is Hyderabad.
- Telangana Governor is Tamilisai Soundararajan and Chief Minister is K.K. Chandrasekhar Rao.
- Telangana's state animal is reindeer, state bird is Indian roller, state tree is jummi chettu and state flower is Tangedu.
- Telangana has 17 seats in the Lok Sabha and 119 assembly seats.
2. Union Cabinet approved proposal of Ministry of Finance to introduce a new special liquidity scheme
- Recently the Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Finance to introduce new special liquidity scheme.
- The scheme is for Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and Housing Finance Companies (HFCs).
- It has proposed to improve the liquidity position of NBFCs and HFCs.
- The government will have to make an expenditure of Rs. 5 crore, which can be in the form of equity contribution in the special purpose vehicle. Apart from this, there will be no other burden on the government until a guarantee has to be given.
- An SPV will be set up to manage a stressed asset fund whose special securities will be guaranteed by the Indian government and purchased only by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The proceeds of the sale of such securities will be used by the SPV to obtain short-term loans to NBFCs or HFCs. The plan will be administered by the Department of Financial Services, which will issue detailed guidelines.
- The scheme will benefit the real economy by increasing the loan resources of NBFCs or HFCs or MFLs.
- Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) is a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956.
3. Didi Vehicle Service started in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh
- Recently, Didi vehicle service has been started in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh.
- This facility has been started by the women of Rural Livelihoods Mission in tribal-dominated Jhabua district for safe delivery of rural women.
- This vehicle service is completely free.
- The vehicle will also be available for other emergency services.
- Didi Vehicle Service is proving to be a lifeline for pregnant rural women in tribal areas.
- Madhya Pradesh:
- Madhya Pradesh ranks second in terms of area in the country after Rajasthan.
- Bhopal is the capital of the state.
- The Chief Minister is Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Governor is Lalji Tandon.
- The state animal of the state is Barasingha.
- The state bird of Madhya Pradesh is the Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Dudhraj).
- MP’s state flower is Palash.
4. Launch of Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund
- Recently Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath started Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund.
- The purpose of this fund is to encourage the youth of the state for entrepreneurship.
- For this, a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the State Government and SIDBI.
- Under this, the Chief Minister of the state handed over the first installment of Rs 15 crore to the Small Industries Development Bank (SIDBI) in Lucknow.
- This step will further strengthen employment generation prospects in the state.
- Uttar Pradesh:
- Uttar Pradesh is a state of North India. It is the most populous state in India.
- The capital of Uttar Pradesh is Lucknow.
- The Chief Minister of the state is Yogi Adityanath and Governor is Anandiben Patel.
- The state animal of Uttar Pradesh is Swamp Deer, State Bird is Saras Crane, State Tree is Ashoka and State Flower is Brahma Kamal.
5. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged world leaders to send video statements
- Recently UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged world leaders to send video statements for this year's 75th annual meeting of the UNGA.
- Because of the COVID-19 pandemic at this time, it is less likely that they will be able to travel to the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- However, the Speaker of the Assembly said that the decision on the Joint Assembly would be taken only after consultation with the member countries of the United Nations.
- It is known that this year it was expected to bring a particularly large number of leaders to the UN Headquarters to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the founding of the United Nations in 1945 after World War II.
- United Nations (U.N.):
- It is an intergovernmental organization.
- It aims to maintain international peace and security.
- Its headquarters are located in New York, United States.
- It was established on 24 October 1945.
- Its official languages are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- Antonio Guterres is the current UN Secretary General.
6. Coir Geo textiles will be used for rural road construction
- Recently it has been decided that Coir Geo textiles will be used for rural road construction under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna-III.
- Under this, 1,674 km of road will be constructed using coir geo textiles in seven states, which will require 70 million square meters of coir geo-textiles, estimated to cost Rs 70 crore.
- Coir Geo textiles is a permeable fabric that is natural, strong and highly durable. It is also resistant to rots, moulds and moisture. It is also free from any microbial attack.
- This decision opens up a huge market potential for coir geotextiles in the country.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) was launched in the year 2000.
7. National Test Abhyas mobile app launched
- Recently, "National Test Abhyas" mobile app has been launched by Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- This app has been developed by the National Testing Agency.
- This app enables candidates to take mock tests for upcoming exams like JEE Mains and NEET.
- This app is designed to compensate the student loss due to the closure of educational institutions due to lockdown.
- The app has been launched to facilitate access to candidates for high quality mock tests.
8. Union Cabinet extended the term of Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana by three years
- Recently, the Union Cabinet has extended the term of Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana by three years.
- The scheme has been extended from March 31, 2020 to March 31, 2023 for a period of three years.
- Under this, initially there is a fixed rate of 7.40% per annum for the year 2020-21 and will be reset every year thereafter.
- Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana:
- There is a social security scheme for senior citizens.
- It is a pension scheme by the Government of India, especially for senior citizens aged 60 years and above.
- It was available from May 4, 2017 to March 31, 2020.
9. Union Cabinet introduced the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme
- Recently, the Union Cabinet introduced the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS) through the three lakh crore rupees.
- This scheme is for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). It also includes willing borrowers availing the MUDRA scheme.
- The scheme will remain in force during the period from the date of announcement till 31 October 2020 or till the amount of three lakh crore is not approved, whichever is earlier.
- The Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme is launched in response to the situation caused by COVID-19 and the lockdown, which has severely affected manufacturing and other activities in the MSME sector.
- In addition, the cabinet also decided to provide 100% credit guarantee coverage to the member lending institutions by the National Credit Guarantee Trustee Company Limited.
- The funds of Rs 41,600 crore will be provided by the Central Government for this purpose in the current and next three financial years.
10. Nepal unveiled new map claiming three regions of Uttarakhand
- Recently, Nepal has officially approved the new map of the country that claims three regions of India.
- In the map, Lipulekh, Kalapani, Limpiyadhura region of Uttarkahand, have been described as the territory of Nepal.
- Nepal's cabinet has also supported this new political map.
- Nepal Foreign Minister Pradeep Kumar Gyawali said that efforts are being made to resolve the border issue with India through diplomatic initiative.
- This new map has been prepared based on the Sugauli Treaty of 1816 and other related documents signed between Nepal and the Government of British India.
- It has been known that the controversy has begun since the inauguration of Dharchula-Lipulekh road link by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh to help pilgrims visiting Kailash-Mansarovar through the Lipulekh Pass.
11. May 21: Anti-Terrorism Day
- Anti-Terrorism Day is observed across India on 21 May.
- The day is celebrated to spread the message of peace and humanity and to promote unity among the people.
- It is celebrated to commemorate the death anniversary of one of the eminent Prime Ministers of India, Rajiv Gandhi.
- Rajiv Gandhi became the youngest Prime Minister of the country at the age of 40.
- He was the sixth Prime Minister of India.
- Rajiv Gandhi served as Prime Minister from 1984 to 1989. He died in May 1991 in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.