Daily Current Affairs and GK | 22 June 2021
- 1. World Music Day: 21 June
- 2. Max Verstappen wins 2021 French Grand Prix.
- 3. Filmmaker-writer Tahira Kashyap Khurrana announces her book about motherhood.
- 4. Government releases draft of the proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020.
- 5. International Monetary Fund (IMF) proposed setting of international carbon price floor.
- 6. Minority Affairs Minister launched “JaanHaiToJahaanHai” awareness campaign for Corona vaccination.
- 7. Bihar Government launched Mukhya Mantri Yuva Udyaymi Yojana to promote entrepreneurship.
- 8. India was fifth-largest recipient of FDI in 2020.
- 9. Prime Minister launches M-Yoga App on International Day of Yoga 2021.
- 10. DPIIT secretary Guruprasad Mohapatra passed away.
- 11. Indian-American chemist Sumita Mitra wins European Inventor Award.
Amazing April OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code APRIL23
Topic: Important Days
1. World Music Day: 21 June
- Every year World Music Day is celebrated on 21st June. The first World Music Day was celebrated in 1982.
- It is also known as 'Fete de la Musique' in French and Make Music Day as well.
- It is observed as an open music festival where each and everyone can participate.
- On the occasion of World Music Day, music events are organized worldwide. It is celebrated to encourage professional musicians to perform in the streets.
- It was started by French composer Maurice Fleuret, who was also the Minister of Culture in the French government.
2. Max Verstappen wins 2021 French Grand Prix.
- Red Bull's Max Verstappen won French Grand Prix 2021. It was his third Formula One race title in the 2021 season.
- Mercedes Lewis Hamilton ended the race in the second position. Verstappen passed Hamilton in the 52nd lap of the race.
- Max Verstappen also got an extra point for finishing a lap in the fastest time.
- Red Bull’s Sergio Perez ended the race in the third position.
- Mercedes' Valterri Bottas finished the race in the fourth position.
Topic: Books and Authors
3. Filmmaker-writer Tahira Kashyap Khurrana announces her book about motherhood.
- Film-maker-writer Tahira Kashyap Khurrana has announced her book about motherhood.
- The book is titled as 'The 7 Sins of Being A Mother'. Last year, she had released '12 Commandments of Being A Woman'.
- "Cracking The Code: My Journey in Bollywood" and "Souled Out" are other books written by her.
- Last year, she has written and directed a short film 'Pinni'. She has also directed a segment in Netflix anthology 'Feels Like Ishq'.
Topic: Indian Polity
4. Government releases draft of the proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020.
- Government has released the draft of the proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020.
- Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 were notified by the government with effect from 23 July 2020.
- The proposed amendment includes the appointment of Chief Compliance Officer and Resident Grievance Officer.
- Chief Compliance Officer is proposed as a nodal contact person for 24x7 coordination with law enforcement agencies, officers to ensure compliance with their orders.
- Resident Grievance Officer is proposed for redressing the grievances of the consumers on the e-commerce platform.
- The setting of a framework for registration of every e-commerce entity with the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) for allotment of registration number is also proposed in amendments to Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020.
- It is also proposed that the allotted registration number shall be displayed prominently on the website.
- Mis-selling has been prohibited in proposed amendments. Mis-selling is the selling of goods and services by deliberate misrepresentation of information.
- The proposed amendments have provisions to ensure that consumers are aware of the expiry date of the products they are buying on the e-commerce platform.
- The proposed amendments also have provisions to ensure that the domestic manufacturers and suppliers get fair and equal treatment on the e-commerce platform.
Topic: International News
5. International Monetary Fund (IMF) proposed setting of international carbon price floor.
- In order to limit global warming and to achieve low carbon growth, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has proposed to set up an international carbon price floor.
- The price rise on carbon encourages innovation and transition to renewable energy and low carbon technologies.
- According to IMF, limiting global warming to 1.5 to 2 degrees will require the emission cut by a quarter to a half by 2030 and it is not possible without equal measures of a global carbon price of about $75 a tonne by the end of this decade.
- So, IMF has proposed an international carbon price floor to achieve the goal of low carbon growth over this decade.
- The international carbon price floor will mainly focus on large emitting countries and it would be flexible, pragmatic, and equitable.
- The agreement on the carbon price floor will be based on a minimum carbon price.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF):
- It is an international organization headquartered in Washington and founded in 1945.
- Its works for international monetary cooperation, international trade, and poverty reduction worldwide.
- Kristalina Georgieva is the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
6. Minority Affairs Minister launched “JaanHaiToJahaanHai” awareness campaign for Corona vaccination.
- The Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched a nationwide “JaanHaiToJahaanHai” awareness campaign on Corona vaccination for rural and remote areas.
- The aim of this campaign is to aware people of Corona vaccination and to crush rumors and apprehensions related to Corona vaccination.
- It has been launched by the Ministry of Minority Affairs in association with various socio-educational organizations, NGOs, and Women Self Help Groups.
- Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi urged members of Central Waqf Council, Maulana Azad Education Foundation, and other social and educational institutions to take part in this awareness campaign.
- India is running the world’s largest Corona vaccination drive.
Topic: State News/ Bihar
7. Bihar Government launched Mukhya Mantri Yuva Udyaymi Yojana to promote entrepreneurship.
- Bihar Chief Minister has launched 'Mukhya Mantri Yuva Udyaymi Yojana' and the 'Mukhya Mantri Mahila Udyami Yojana' to promote entrepreneurship among youth and women of the state.
- Under this scheme, Rs 10 lakh will be provided as financial assistance for entrepreneurship development. Rs 5 lakh would be provided as a grant and the rest Rs 5 lakh will be given as a loan.
- A portal has been also launched for the registration of scheme.
- Mukhya Mantri Udyami Yojna was launched in 2018 for promoting entrepreneurship among SC, ST, and the extremely backward classes (EBCs).
- Now, it has been extended for youth and women of all sections of the state.
- It is located in the eastern part of India.
- Phagu Chauhan is the Governor of Bihar and Nitish Kumar is the Chief Minister of Bihar.
- It shares its boundary with Uttar Pradesh, Nepal, West Bengal, and Jharkhand.
- It is the third-largest state by population and the twelfth-largest by territory.
Topic: Indian Economy
8. India was fifth-largest recipient of FDI in 2020.
- In 2020, India was the fifth-largest recipient of FDI in the world. India received $64 billion as Foreign Direct Investment in 2020.
- According to the World Investment Report 2021, the Covid pandemic has severely hit the FDI inflows. COVID-19 slowed down the investment projects.
- In India, FDI has increased from $51 billion to $64 billion in 2020. The pandemic has increased the demand for digital infrastructure and services.
- The investment in the Greenfield projects has contracted by 19 percent to $24 billion. Investment in the ICT industry has increased during 2020.
- FDI in South Asia rose by 20 percent to $71 billion. The major investments were in the ICT, health, infrastructure and energy sectors.
- In China, FDI has increased by 6 percent to $149 billion. FDI inflow to Asia has grown by 4 percent to $535 billion.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. Prime Minister launches M-Yoga App on International Day of Yoga 2021.
- On the occasion of the 7th International Day of Yoga, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘WHO M-Yoga’ App to promote Yoga.
- It will provide many videos of Yoga training and practice based on common Yoga protocol in many languages.
- It will help in spreading Yoga all over the world and play an important role in the rehabilitation of Covid-19 recovered patients.
- It has been jointly developed by the Ministry of AYUSH and the World Health Organization (WHO). It will help in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to achieve Universal Health Coverage by 2030.
- M-Yoga App will play a vital role in making the ‘Be Healthy, Be Mobile (BHBM)’ initiative a success. BHBM supports mobile health (m-Health) technology to combat non-communicable diseases (NCDs).
- Videos on the app can either be streamed or even download. It is available in both English and Hindi.
Topic: Personality in News
10. DPIIT secretary Guruprasad Mohapatra passed away.
- Department of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) secretary Dr. Guruprasad Mohapatra died at the age of 59 from Covid-19.
- He was appointed as DPIIT secretary in August 2019. He is the first serving secretary of the government to die from Covid.
- Earlier, he also served as the chairman of the Airport Authority of India (AAI) and as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- He was known for his innovative ideas and proactive initiatives for the Indian Economy.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
11. Indian-American chemist Sumita Mitra wins European Inventor Award.
- Indian-American chemist Sumita Mitra has won the European Inventor Award 2021 in the ‘Non-European Patent Office countries’ category.
- Sumita Mitra has been awarded the European Inventory Award 2021 for her application of nanotechnology in dentistry. The new dental material has been called ‘nanoclusters’.
- European Inventor Award is presented by the European Patent Office (EPO). It is given to inventors who have made a significant contribution to innovation, economy and society in Europe.
- The winners were selected in five categories – Industry, Research, SMEs, Non-EPO countries, and Lifetime Achievement.
- The winners in each category are presented with an award shaped like a sail. The first European Inventor Year awards were presented in 2006.