- 1. The Central Government established the National Council for Transgender Persons.
- 2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to Gujarati poet, playwright and social reformer Narmadashankar Dave on his 187th birth anniversary.
- 3. First meeting of India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee concluded.
- 4. Baldeep Ningthoujam, a 9th grade student from Manipur, developed a mobile game called Coroboi.
- 5. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank will provide a loan of US $ 500 million for the Mumbai Urban Transport Project III.
- 6. Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria launched the My-IAF Mobile App.
- 7. New office building of Delimitation Commission inaugurated in New Delhi.
- 8. Bangladesh will relocate Rohingya refugees to Bhashan char island from Cox's Bazar after the monsoon session.
- 9. China sold the finest fighter ship 054A/P to Pakistan.
- 10. BIS prepared draft standard for piped drinking water supply system.
- 11. A fire broke out in the 139-year-old Grey Street Mosque in Durban, South Africa.
- 12. DRDO's 500-bed Covid Hospital inaugurated in Patna.
- 13. Organisation of 50th session of Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series titled “Cultural Heritage of Hyderabad”.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code FEB24
1. The Central Government established the National Council for Transgender Persons.
- Recently the Central Government has established the National Council for Transgender Persons through a notification.
- Composition of National Council for Transgender Persons:
- The Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment will be its ex-officio Chairperson and the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment will be its ex-officio Vice-Chairperson.
- Representative of various Ministries or Departments
- Five representatives of transgender community
- Representatives of National Human Rights Commission and National Commission for Women
- Representatives of State Governments and Union Territories
- Experts representing NGOs
- The term of the member of the National Council shall be for three years from the date of nomination except for the ex-officio members.
- Functions of National Transgender Council:
- Advising the government on formulating policies, programs, legislation and projects in the context of transgender persons.
- To evaluate and monitor the impact of policies and programs related to providing equal opportunities and full participation to transgenders.
- To review and coordinate the activities of all government departments and other governmental and non-governmental organizations handling matters related to transgenders.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to Gujarati poet, playwright and social reformer Narmadashankar Dave on his 187th birth anniversary.
- On 24 August 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to Gujarati poet, playwright and social reformer Narmadashankar Dave on his 187th birth anniversary.
- Narmadashankar Dave was born on 24 August 1833 in Surat.
- He was a visionary creator, philosopher, pioneer of social justice and a proud poet.
- He is considered the founder of modern Gujarati literature, introduced his fearlessness and creativity through a magazine called ‘Dandio’.
- Narmadashankar Dave's birthday is also celebrated as World Gujarati Language Day.
3. First meeting of India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee concluded.
- Recently the first meeting of the India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee was held.
- India's Minister of State for External Affairs V. Muraleedharan co-chaired the meeting with Sardor Umurzakov, Deputy Prime Minister of Uzbekistan and Minister of Foreign Economic Relations.
- This meeting was held to monitor the implementation of mutually agreed projects between India and Uzbekistan.
- The meeting was constituted under the instructions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uzbek President Shwakat Mirziyoyev.
- The following points were considered during the meeting:
- Line of credit projects, bilateral trade and investment.
- The two sides reached bilateral economic treaties, preferential trade agreements and mutual market access to agricultural produce of the two countries.
- Review of the implementation of the projects under India’s Lines of Credit, cooperation between the State of Gujarat and the Andijan region of Uzbekistan, and the India-Uzbekistan Entrepreneurship Development Centre at Tashkent.
- It is a Central Asian nation and former Soviet republic.
- Its capital is Tashkent and the currency is Uzbekistani Som.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. Baldeep Ningthoujam, a 9th grade student from Manipur, developed a mobile game called Coroboi.
- Recently 9th class student of Manipur, Baldeep Ningthoujam, has developed a mobile game called Coroboi.
- It has become a popular Android based game worldwide.
- The game was first launched in the Google Play store a few days ago, becoming one of the most popular search and download games.
- The theme of the game Coroboi is Coronavirus and Lockdown. According to the mobile game app, an Indian boy named Coroboi is trapped in lockdown and wants to return home.
- This game has been downloaded by more than 20 thousand users. It has already made a record of number two trending mobile game app in Google Play Store.
(Source: News on AIR)
5. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank will provide a loan of US $ 500 million for the Mumbai Urban Transport Project III.
- Recently the Central Government, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai Railway Development Corporation and AIIB have signed a US $ 500 million loan agreement for the Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III.
- This will improve the network capacity, quality of service and security of the suburban railway system in Mumbai.
- Also, the project will reduce travel time and fatal accidents of passengers.
- Additionally, network capacity in the region is expected to increase.
- The primary beneficiaries of the project are 22% women passengers, who will benefit from improved safety and quality of service.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB):
- It is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia.
- It started operating in January 2016.
- It is headquartered in Beijing, China.
- AIIB now has 103 approved members worldwide.
6. Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria launched the My-IAF Mobile App.
- Recently Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria has launched the My-IAF Mobile App at Air Force Headquarters Air Bhawan in New Delhi.
- This app provides career related information and details to the youth wishing to join the Air Force.
- It provides all the information in the Air Force including the selection process, training courses and salaries and allowances of officers and soldiers in one place.
- Information about the history of the Air Force and its gallant saga are also provided on this app.
- The app has been developed in collaboration with the Center for Advanced Computation Development - CDAC.
(Source: News on AIR)
7. New office building of Delimitation Commission inaugurated in New Delhi.
- Recently, the new office building of the Delimitation Commission in New Delhi was inaugurated by Justice Ranjan Desai, Chairman of the Commission.
- The opening of this office will initiate formal consultations with the Associate Members and expedite the process of liquidation.
- The Delimitation Commission has started functioning from March 2020.
- Delimitation Commission:
- It is a commission set up by the Government of India under the provisions of the Delimitation Commission Act.
- The main function of the commission is to redefine the boundaries of various legislative and Lok Sabha constituencies based on the recent census.
- It was founded in 1952.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
8. Bangladesh will relocate Rohingya refugees to Bhashan char island from Cox's Bazar after the monsoon session.
- Recently the Bangladesh government has announced that after the monsoon session it is planning to start the process of transferring Rohingya refugees from the crowded camps at Cox’s Bazar to Bhasan Char Island.
- Newly built facilities have been developed on the Bhasan Char island.
- Bangladesh in April also displaced some Rohingyas from the crowded camps of Cox's Bazar on Bhasan Char due to the Corona Pandemic.
- Ronhigya fled to Bangladesh in 2017 after a military crackdown in Rakhine province of Myanmar.
- Bhashan Char Islands:
- It is an unhabituated island where the government of Bangladesh has built shelters for one lakh Rohingya refugees.
- However, it is an ecologically fragile region, which is prone to floods erosion and cyclones.
- It is also known as Char Piya.
- It is an island in Bangladesh.
- It is located in the Bay of Bengal.
- The island was formed in 2006 by Himalayan silt.
9. China sold the finest fighter ship 054A/P to Pakistan.
- Recently China has sold its best fighter ship 054A/P to Pakistan.
- The Type 054A/P is a guided missile frigate, the largest fighter ship ever sold by China to a foreign navy.
- In addition, China will send three warships to Pakistan.
- This combat ship will double the combat capability of the Pakistani Navy.
(Source: Hindustan Times)
10. BIS prepared draft standard for piped drinking water supply system.
- Recently the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has prepared a draft standard for the piped drinking water supply system.
- This draft is named as “Drinking Water Supply Quality Management System-Requirements for Pipe Drinking Water Supply Service”.
- This draft has been prepared by the Public Drinking Water Supply Services Sectional Committee of BIS.
- This water supply process has been developed keeping in mind the Centre's Jal Jeevan Mission to provide safe and adequate drinking water to all rural households by 2024 through water connections and through tap connections.
- The following provisions have been made in the draft:
- Drawing requirements for water supplier or water utility.
- Guidelines for top management of water supplier and utilities.
- IS 10500- Determination of Indian Standard for Treated Water for Drinking.
- Provision of bulk water meters to ensure water audit.
(Source: News on AIR)
11. A fire broke out in the 139-year-old Grey Street Mosque in Durban, South Africa.
- Recently, a fire broke out in the 139-year-old Grey Street Mosque in the southeastern port city of Durban in South Africa.
- The cause of the fire is currently unknown.
- This mosque located in the city center of Durban is a landmark.
- The mosque has been visited by prominent personalities including the late first black president of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, British musician Cat Stevens and former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad-Ali.
- South Africa:
- It is a country located at the southernmost end of the African continent.
- The President of the country is Cyril Ramaphosa.
- It has three capitals - Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein and the currency is South African Rand.
(Source: The Hindu)
12. DRDO's 500-bed Covid Hospital inaugurated in Patna.
- Recently, the 500-bed Covid Hospital established by Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) was inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai in Patna.
- It also has a separate 125 ICU beds.
- This Covid Hospital is built on the lines of the 1000-bed Covid Hospital built by DRDO at Delhi Cantt.
- PM CARES Trust has allocated funds for the hospital. Another such hospital will also be built in Muzaffarpur.
- Doctors, nurses and other assistant medical staff have been provided by the Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services for the hospital.
- The Bihar government will provide 2 lakh liters of water per day and 6 MVA power supply with facilities like security for the hospital.
13. Organisation of 50th session of Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series titled “Cultural Heritage of Hyderabad”.
- Recently the Ministry of Tourism inaugurated the 50th webinar titled Cultural Heritage of Hyderabad: Hyderabad's Cultural Heritage, under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series.
- The webinar series was launched on April 14, 2020.
- The Dekho Apna Desh webinars are being organized by the Ministry of Tourism for the purpose of spreading awareness and publicity about various tourist destinations in India, including the lesser-known and less-discussed aspects of popular destinations.
- It also promotes the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah established Hyderabad in 1591 to expand the capital beyond the Golkonda Fort. The city was annexed by the Mughals in 1687.
- In 1724, the Mughal ruler Nizam Asaf Jah-I declared his sovereignty and established the Asaf Jahi dynasty, also known as the Nizam. Hyderabad was the royal capital of Asaf Jahi between 1769 and 1948.
- The city also had a British residency and cantonment as the capital of the princely state of Hyderabad until India became independent in 1947.
- In 1956, Hyderabad was merged into Andhra state.
- Hyderabad has been selected as a creative city in the category of gastronomy by UNESCO.
- Hyderabad is also known as City of Pearls and City of Nizams.