Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
1. US President, Donald John Trump's visit to India
- 45th President of USA, Donald J. Trump is on a visit to India from 24 February to 25 February.
- His visit involves three cities in India that are Ahmedabad, Agra and New Delhi.
- On 24 February, he took part in the Namaste Trump Event at Motera Stadium, Ahmedabad. In October 2019, a similar event named Howdy Modi was organized for PM Modi in New Hampshire.
- Sardar Patel Stadium is known as Motera Stadium. It is the world's largest cricket stadium.
- Donald Trump is the 7th US President visiting India. Other six US Presidents visiting India are Dwight D Eisenhower (in 1959), Richard Nixon (in 1969), Jimmy Carter ( in 1978), Bill Clinton (in 2000), George W Bush (in 2006) and Barack Obama (in 2010 and 2015).
- Donald Trump is the second US President, who is visiting India in his first term after Barack Obama. Barack Obama was also the first sitting US President to visit India the second time.
2. Training course on Vessel Search Technique in Chennai
- Indian Coast Guard and Australian Border Force are jointly organizing a Training course on Vessel Search Technique in Chennai.
- The course has started on 24 February. Mobile Training Team of the Australian Border Force is carrying the course for Indian Coast Guard personnel, Customs officials and Coastal Security Group members of the Tamil Nadu Police.
- Indian Coast Guard:
- It was formed in 1978.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It works under the Ministry of Defence.
- It works to support the Indian Navy.
3. Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016 amended
- Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016 has been amended to allow more weapons to international medalists and renowned shooters.
- As per the amended provisions, international medalists and renowned shooters can keep maximum of twelve weapons under the exempted category.
- Now, Indian citizens can get and keep small arms in the curio category without a license.
- But, the license will be needed to use small arms in the curio category. License will also be needed to carry or transport small arms in the curio category.
4. Best marching contingents for Republic Day Parade 2020
- Indian Air Force and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) have been given trophies of best marching contingent for Republic Day Parade 2020.
- While Indian Air Force has won the best marching contingent trophy among three military services of India, CISF has won the best marching contingent trophy among Central Armed Police Forces and other auxiliary forces category.
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) was formed in 1969. Its responsibilities include providing security to the strategic establishment, some private sector units and important government buildings located in Delhi. It also provides security in Z Plus, Z, X, Y category.
- Indian Air Force was founded on 8 October 1932, and 8 October is celebrated as Air Force Day.
5. Appointment of judges of different High Courts approved by SC Collegium
- Supreme Court Collegium has approved the appointment of judicial officers and advocates as judges of Jammu and Kashmir High Court, Tripura High Court and Manipur High Court.
- The names of Vinod Chatterji Koul, Sanjay Dhar and Puneet Gupta have been approved as judges of Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
- The names of Satya Gopal Chattopadhyay and Ahanthem Bimol Singh have been approved as judges of Tripura High Court and Manipur High Court, respectively.
- SC collegium currently consists of CJI Bobde, Justices N V Ramana, Arun Mishra, R F Nariman and R Banumathi.
6. Child malnutrition rate in Bangladesh declines
- Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS), 2019 shows that the child malnutrition rate in Bangladesh has declined in the last six years.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) and UNICEF have jointly carried out MICS.
- UNICEF has developed the Global MICS Programme in 1990s. MICS collects data on the situation of children and women.
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) was formed in 1946. It is headquartered in New York City, USA. It works to provide assistance to children worldwide.
7. Constitution of 22nd Law Commission announced
- After the President's permission, the Law Ministry has notified the formation of 22nd Law Commission.
- 21st Law Commission's term has ended on August 31, 2018, and Union Cabinet has approved the reconstitution of commission last week. The term of 22nd Law commission will be for three years.
- 22nd Law commission will have a full-time Chairperson, four full-time members, two ex officio members and maximum of five part-time members.
- Secretary, Department of Legal Affairs and Secretary, Legislative Department will be its ex-officio Members. The names of chairperson and members of the commission have not been announced till now.
- 22nd Law commission has been given the responsibility to choose unnecessary or irrelevant laws for immediate repealing.
- It will also study current laws in relation to DPSPs and recommend to improve and reform such laws.
- It will also recommend the laws needed to implement DPSPs and achieve goals provided in Preamble.
- It will also give its opinion on legal subjects referred by the central government through the Ministry of Law.
- Law Commission:
- Law Commission is an advisory body. It is a non-statutory body.
- First Law Commission of Independent India was constituted in 1955. Law Commission is re-constituted every three years.
- First Law Commission was formed in British India in 1834. Lord Macaulay was its chairman.
- Usually, a retired judge of the Supreme Court or retired chief justice of a High Court is appointed as chairperson of the Law Commission.
8. Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championship will be hosted by India in January 2022
- India will host the Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championship in January 2022 in Chandigarh.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the Executive Board of Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).
- The medals from Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championship will be included in the ranking for the Commonwealth Games to be held in Birmingham from 27 July to 7 August 2022.
- This decision is seen as India's big win.
- Earlier, India has warned of boycotting the 2022 Birmingham Games after the shooting was not included in the games.
9. International Cricket Council (ICC) bans Oman player Yusuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi for 7 years
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has banned Oman player Yusuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi from all forms of cricket for seven years for his involvement in match-fixing attempts.
Al Balushi admitted four charges of violation of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
- The allegations were related to the International Cricket Council men's T20 World Cup qualifiers 2019 held in the United Arab Emirates.
- International Cricket Council:
- The International Cricket Council is the global governing body of cricket.
- It was established in 1909 by the representatives of Australia, England and South Africa as the Imperial Cricket Conference.
- It is headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
10. Nearly 4,000 years old urban settlement discovered in Varanasi
- The nearly 4,000 year-old urban settlement in Varanasi was discovered by a team of surveyors from the Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
- The site has been unearthed in the Babhaniyav village, 13 km from Varanasi. It may be one of the craft villages described in ancient texts.
- The survey revealed temples made during the 5th century to the 8th century. It also revealed 4,000 years old potteries and 2,000 years old walls.
11. BJP MLA Ramvir Singh Bidhuri appointed as Leader of Opposition in Delhi Legislative Assembly
- BJP MLA Ramvir Singh Bidhuri has been appointed as the Leader of the Opposition in the Delhi Assembly.
- His name was announced by party’s general secretary and central observer Saroj Pandey in New Delhi in the presence of Delhi unit president Manoj Tiwari and party MLAs.
- Shri Bidhuri represents the Badarpur assembly seat.
12. Pattana Pragathi program started in Telangana
- Pattana Pragathi, an ambitious program that envisages all-round development of urban areas, started in all 140 municipalities and municipal corporations spread across Telangana.
- This program has been started on the lines of Palle Pragathi, a program to strengthen the infrastructure in villages.
- The program envisages sanitation campaigns and green initiatives besides building dump yards and educating the public about solid and liquid waste segregation for effective disposal.
- Also, to increase the participation of residents in planning and development and effective implementation of the work, the government has decided to constitute four committees with 15 members.
13. Malaysia's Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Prime Minister of Malaysia Mahathir Mohammad submitted his resignation to the king of the country.
- The 94-year-old Mahathir has taken the decision after his political rivals tried to topple the government and prevent Anwar Ibrahim, who is going to become prime minister, from assuming office.
- Opponents and opposition leaders of Anwar's Pact of Hope alliance were seen trying to form a new government.
- This alliance has achieved a historic victory in the elections in 2018.
- Malaysia is a Southeast Asian country.
- It is known for its beaches, rainforests and a mix of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and European cultural influences.
- Its capital is Kuala Lumpur, and the currency is the Malaysian Ringgit.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. How many US Presidents have visited India before the ongoing visit of Donald Trump?
2. Vessel search technique training program was recently started on which coast of India?
3. In which year was the Central Industrial Security Force formed?
4. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics has jointly conducted a Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey with which organization?
A. World Bank
C. Gates Foundation
D. Asian Development Bank
5. How many Law Commissions have been formed in India since independence?
6. Commonwealth Shooting and Archery Championship will be hosted by which country in January 2022?
C. New Zealand
D. Sri Lanka
7. Recently International Cricket Council has banned Yusuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi for 7 years on charges of match-fixing. He is a cricketer of which country?
8. A 4000-year-old urban settlement has been discovered in which of the following cities?
9. Recently who has been appointed as the Leader of the Opposition in the Delhi Assembly?
A. Ramvir Singh Bidhuri
B. Saroj Pandey
C. Manoj Tiwari
D. none of the above
10. In which state has the program Pattan Pragati started for the all-round development of urban areas?
B. Andhra Pradesh
11. Mahathir Mohammad, who has recently resigned due to political instability, was the Prime Minister of which of the following countries?