- 1. Haryana Deputy CM re-elected President of TTFI.
- 2. IWAI and MOL sign MoU for transportation of LPG.
- 3. India, France, Australia held the trilateral dialogue for cooperation in Indo-Pacific region.
- 4. Union Agriculture Minister inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida.
- 5. 2nd edition of Global Bio-India will be organised between 1st to 3rd March.
- 6. Guru Ravidas Jayanti is being celebrated across the country.
- 7. Ligia Noronha appointed as UN Assistant Secretary-General.
- 8. PM Modi to be conferred with CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award.
- 9. Anjali Bharadwaj is one of the winners of the newly-instituted Anti-corruption award.
- 10. Vinay Kumar announced retirement from all forms of cricket.
- 11. ASI discovered Ancient Buddhist monastery in Jharkhand.
- 12. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary launched City Innovation Exchange (CiX).
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
1. Haryana Deputy CM re-elected President of TTFI.
- Deputy CM of Haryana Dushyant Chautala was re-elected as the President of Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI).
- He was elected at the 84th annual meeting of TTFI.
- Panchkula will host the Commonwealth table tennis championship in 2021.
- Arun Banerjee will be the new secretary and Gurpreet Singh will be the new treasurer.
- Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI):
- It is the governing body for table tennis in India.
- It was established in 1926.
- Headquarters of TTFI: New Delhi
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
2. IWAI and MOL sign MoU for transportation of LPG.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has signed an MoU with MOL (Asia Oceania) Limited for transportation of LPG through Waterways-1 and Waterways-2.
- IWAI will provide support for handling LPG cargo on IWAI terminals or multimodal terminals at Sahibganj, Haldia and Varanasi. It will also provide the Least Available Depth (LAD) information on a fortnightly/ monthly basis.
- MOL (Asia Oceania) Limited is the world’s largest gas carrier company. It will invest for the construction and operation of dedicated LPG barges under Make-In India.
- Currently, 60% of LPG is transported via road to various locations at the cost of 5 to 6 rupees per metric tonne per kilometer.
- Advantages of Handling LPG via waterways:
- Reduce carbon footprints
- Lower overall logistics cost
- Reduce transportation cost of LPG
- Contribution to government schemes like Ujjwala Yojana
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI):
- It is a statutory authority that is incharge of waterways in India.
- It was formed in 1986 under the Inland Waterways Authority of India Act, 1985.
- Headquarters of IWAI: Noida, UP
- Current Chairman of IWAI: Amita Prasad
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
3. India, France, Australia held the trilateral dialogue for cooperation in Indo-Pacific region.
- India, Australia and France hold trilateral dialogue for increasing cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
- It was co-chaired by Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla, Secretary-General Francois Delattre from the French Ministry for Europe and foreign affairs, and Australian Foreign Affairs Secretary Frances Adamson.
- It aims to build strong bilateral ties between the three countries. The three sides agreed on holding this dialogue on an annual basis.
- The three sides discussed the economic and geostrategic challenges that emerged from the COVID-19 pandemic in the Indo-Pacific region. They also discussed the priorities, challenges and trends of regional and global multilateral institutions.
- They also discussed various issues such as Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations, oil spill management, and disaster resilience of small island countries in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The first Foreign Secretary-level Trilateral Dialogue between the three sides was held in September 2020.
Topic: National News
4. Union Agriculture Minister inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida.
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida Haat.
- The Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 will be organised from 26th February to 14th March 2021 by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- Around 300 rural self-help groups and many artisans from different states will participate in the Mela.
- Workshops on various topics, including product packaging and design, communication skills, and social media publicity, will also be organised to educate the self-help groups and craftsmen in the Mela.
- Minister spoke that Self Help Groups could play a vital role in the vision of making India a self-reliant country.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
5. 2nd edition of Global Bio-India will be organised between 1st to 3rd March.
- The second edition of Global Bio-India will be organised from 1st to 3rd March. It will be inaugurated by the Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- It will be organised under the theme of ‘Transforming lives’. The tagline of this edition will be“Biosciences to Bioeconomy”.
- At present, Switzerland is the partner country and Karnataka is the partner state for this event. Representatives from more than 50 countries will participate in the Global Bio-India 2021.
- The government has recognized the Biotechnology sector as one of the key sectors for the Indian economy. The government has aimed for a USD 150 billion bio-economy by 2025.
- The first edition of Global Bio-India was held in New Delhi in 2019.
- Global Bio-India: It is one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders conglomerates. It is organised for attracting investment in the bio-technology sector.
Topic: Personality in News
6. Guru Ravidas Jayanti is being celebrated across the country.
- The 644th birth anniversary of saint Guru Ravidas is being celebrated on 27 February. He is famous for his effort against the caste system.
- A famous sufi saint, Guru Ravidas is also known as Raidas, Rohidas and Ruhidas.
- Guru Ravidas:
- He was born in 1450 AD at Varanasi.
- His 40 devotional poems were included in the Guru Granth Sahib, the sacred book of Sikhism.
- He was a great saint and a social reformer of medieval India.
- He was contemporary to Kabirdas and Mirabai.
- He had founded the Ravidassia religion in the 14th-century.
(Source: News on AIR)
7. Ligia Noronha appointed as UN Assistant Secretary-General.
- Indian economist Ligia Noronha is appointed as Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme.
- She has replaced Indian economist Satya Tripathi.
- She had worked for more than 30 years in the field of sustainable development. She had also worked as Director of UNEP’s Economy Division.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP):
- It is an authority that sets the global environmental agenda and helps developing countries implement environment-related policies.
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya
Recent Appointments in UN’s agencies
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. PM Modi to be conferred with CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be conferred the CERAWeek global energy and environment leadership award.
- He will receive this award during the CERAWeek Conference-2021, which is scheduled to be organised between 1-5 March in virtual mode. It will be the 39th edition of this conference.
- He will get the CERAWeek Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award for his efforts towards sustainability in energy and the environment.
- Recently, PM Narendra Modi has received the ‘Legion of Merit’ award.
- CERAWeek global energy conference: It is an annual conference of energy industry leaders, experts, government officials and policymakers and energy technology innovators.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Anjali Bharadwaj is one of the winners of the newly-instituted Anti-corruption award.
- Anjali Bharadwaj, an Indian social activist, is one of the 12 winners of the Anti-corruption Champions Award 2021. Anti-Corruption Champions Award is a newly instituted award of the Joe Biden administration.
- She is an Indian social activist working on issues of transparency and accountability. She is the founder of the Satark Nagrik Sangathan (SNS).
- She is a co-convener of the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI). She was also involved in the creation of Lokpal and the Whistle Blowers’ Protection Act.
10. Vinay Kumar announced retirement from all forms of cricket.
- Vinay Kumar, a pace bowler, has announced retirement from cricket. He is also known as “Davangere Express”.
- He has represented India in 31 One-day Internationals, nine Twenty20 Internationals and one Test match. He had played for the Karnataka cricket team.
- He played for Mumbai Indians, Kolkata Knight Riders, Kochi Tuskers Kerala and Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL.
- Indian Cricketers that announced retirement in 2020-21 are: MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Irfan Pathan, Wasim Jaffer, Sudeep Tyagi, Pragyan Ojha, Parthiv Patel, Tanmay Srivastava, and Ashok Dinda.
Topic: Art and Culture
11. ASI discovered Ancient Buddhist monastery in Jharkhand.
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has discovered a Buddhist monastery in the Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand.
- Almost 900 years old monastery was buried under a mound in a village of Jharkhand.
- Two months earlier, an ancient Buddhist shrine was discovered buried under a similar mound, 100 meters away from the existing site.
- Artifacts obtained from excavation:
- Four Stone statues of deity Tara in Varad Mudra and six statues of Buddha in Bhumisparsa Mudra
- A sculpture that appears to be of Shaivite deity Maheswari- with coiled crown and chakra
- Nagri script (previous version of Devnagri) on a Tara Statue
- Deity Tara’s statue indicates that the site was an important centre of Vajrayana Buddhism.
- Varad Mudra- Gesture of hand showing dispensing of boons
- Bhumisparsa Mudra- Gesture of hand showing five fingers of right hand towards the earth symbolising the Buddha’s enlightenment
- Vajrayana is a sect of Buddhism that flourished in India from 6th to 11th century. It is also known as Tantric Buddhism.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary launched City Innovation Exchange (CiX).
- Secretary of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Durga Shanker Mishra, has launched the City Innovation Exchange (CiX) platform.
- The platform has been launched to promote innovation in the Urban ecosystem.
- It is a platform to bring citizen organisations, academia, businesses and government together to create future of Urban India.
- Smart Cities Mission will partner with Startup India, Atal Innovation Mission, Accelerating Growth of New India’s Innovations (AGNIi) and other initiatives.
- City Innovation Exchange (CiX):
- It will connect cities to innovators to develop solutions for the challenges faced by them.
- The platform will help cities to find innovative and fitting solutions.
- It is developed on the concept of ‘open innovation’, i.e., ‘everyone is an innovator’.