Daily Current Affairs and GK | 28 February 2020
1. India and Myanmar signed ten agreements in different fields
- India and Myanmar have agreed to further strengthen bilateral relations.
- The two sides signed ten agreements in various fields including infrastructure, energy, communication and health.
- The agreements were signed after talks between Prime Minister Modi and Myanmar President U Win Myint in New Delhi.
- Mr. U Win Myint has come to New Delhi on a four-day visit to India. He is also accompanied by Myanmar's first lady Daw Cho Cho.
- Myanmar (formerly Burma) is a Southeast Asian country of more than 100 ethnic groups.
- It is bordered by India, Bangladesh, China, Laos and Thailand.
- Its capital is Naypyidaw and currency is Burmese Kayat.
2. Vedic scholar Sudhakar Chaturvedi died in Bengaluru
- Renowned Vedic scholar and Gandhian, Sudhakar Chaturvedi died in Bengaluru.
- He was conferred the title Charutvedi for his mastery over the four Vedas.
- Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and the Arya Samaj movement, Chaturvedi wrote more than 50 spiritual books in four languages.
- He was witness to many events in the independence movement. He had said in several interviews that he was an eyewitness to the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
3. New Light Combat Helicopter Hangar inaugurated in Bengaluru
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the new Light Combat Helicopter production hangar in the chopper division at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) complex in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Speaking on the occasion, he said that India has made significant progress towards manufacturing indigenous military equipment under the 'Make in India' initiative in the last five years.
- The Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) is a 5.5-tonne class combat helicopter designed and developed by HAL.
- It is powered by two Shakti engines and inherits many of the technical features of the advanced light helicopter.
4. Prime Minister Modi will distribute aid equipment to senior citizens in Prayagraj
- The Assistive Aids and Devices will be distribted to senior citizens under the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana in Prayagraj and to Divyangjans under the Assistance to Disabled Persons for aids and appliances (ADIP) scheme on 29 February 2020.
- The cost of these devices is more than Rs. 19 crores.
- The purpose of these devices is to provide assistance to the daily life and socio-economic development of PwDs and senior citizens.
- Rashtriya Vyoshri Scheme:
- The scheme was launched on 1 April 2017.
- It aims to provide physical devices and assisted living aids to senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The Scheme is implemented by the sole implementing agency - Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
5. Sakshi Maske won the gold medal in the women's weightlifting at the Khelo India University Games
- Sakshi Maske of Savitri Bai Phule University, Pune, has won a gold medal in the 45 kg category of women's weightlifting event at the Khelo India University Games in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Komal Pohar of Maharishi Dayanand University in Rohtak won silver and Prerana Sonwane of North Maharashtra University won bronze.
- These games are being organized for the first time in the country.
- Savitri Bai Phule University leads the medal table.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of 296 km Bundelkhand Expressway in Chitrakoot
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of the 296 km long Bundelkhand Expressway at Chitrakoot on 29 February 2020.
- The expressway will pass through Chitrakoot, Banda, Hamirpur and Jalaun districts and will also serve as a supplement to the UP Defence Industrial Corridor.
- At the same time, the Prime Minister will also inaugurate ten thousand farmers produce organization.
7. India-New Zealand Business Forum was held in New Delhi
- Recently India-New Zealand Business Forum was organized by FICCI in New Delhi.
- Addressing the forum, Trade and Export Growth Minister of New Zeland, David Parker said that India is a developing country and it is very important for New Zealand.
- He also congratulated India for the impressive measures taken in Ease of Doing Business.
- New Zealand:
- New Zealand is a sovereign island country in the South Western Pacific Ocean.
- Its capital is Wellington and the currency is the New Zealand Dollar.
8. Government of Maharashtra will conduct genetic study of indigenous species of domestic animals
- With the objective of conserving native species of cattle and domesticated animals in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra, the state will conduct their genetic study.
- Recently, a meeting to start this project was held in Aurangabad.
- Under this project, the genetic traits of Osmanabadi goat, Red Kandhari cow, Deoni bull, Caravan or Pashmi dogs will be studied.
- The project, funded by the Maharashtra government, will help in the conservation of native species of animals.
- Red Kandhari and Deoni bulls are useful in farming, but there is a decline in the number of pure breeds of these animals. Therefore, their genetic study is important.
9. 28 February: National Science Day
- National Science Day is celebrated every year on 28 February.
- The theme of National Science Day 2020 is 'Women in Science'.
- The great scientist of the country, Chandrashekhar Venkat, discovered the 'Raman effect' on this day, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in the year 1930.
- The objective of National Science Day is to create awareness among people about the importance of science and its use.
- The first National Science Day was celebrated on 28 February 1987.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Myanmar shares its border with which of the following countries?
D. All of the above
2. Recently Sudhakar Chaturvedi passed away. He was related to which field?
B. Spiritual Writing
3. Recently, Rajnath Singh inaugurated the new Light Combat helicopter hangar. Which of the following is true about LCH?
A. It is a 5.5 ton class combat helicopter.
B. It is designed and developed by HAL.
C. It is powered by two shakti engines.
D. All of the above
4. In which year was the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana launched?
5. Which medal has Sakshi Maske won at the Women's weightlifting event at the Khelo India University Games?
A. Silver Medal
B. Gold Medal
C. Bronze Medal
6. The 296 km long Bundelkhand Expressway will not pass through which of the following places?
D. It will pass through all of the above.
7. Wellington is the capital of which of the following countries?
A. New Zealand
8. Which state government is planning genetic studies of cattle and domesticated animals with the objective of preserving them?
A. Uttar Pradesh
9. What is the theme of National Science Day 2020?
A. Youth in Science
B. Women in Science
C. Progress in Science
D. The increasing contribution of children in the world of science