Daily Current Affairs and GK | 29 April 2020
Amazing April OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code APRIL23
1. Mid-day meal scheme will continue during summer vacation
- Recently the government has decided to continue the mid-day meal scheme during summer vacation due to the situation arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For this, the government has announced an increase of about 11% in the annual central allocation of the mid-day meal scheme.
- In order to provide adequate and nutritious food to the children, the scheme will be continued.
- The scheme involves more than 12 crore children studying in 11 lakh schools across the country.
- Mid-Day Meal Plan:
- The scheme was launched in 1995.
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme that aims at increasing enrollment, retention and attendance of students in schools.
2. The important meeting of the Foreign Ministers of BRICS countries concluded through video conference
- Recently, an important meeting of foreign ministers of BRICS countries was held through video conference.
- In this meeting, the Foreign Ministers of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa considered enhancing mutual cooperation in a united effort to meet the global challenges caused by COVID-19.
- The meeting was chaired by Russia.
- The theme of the BRICS meeting 2020 was "Global Sustainability, Shared Security and Innovation Development".
- A virtual meeting of BRICS health officials is envisaged on 7 May 2020 to further the hypothesis and purposeful discussion on the COVID-19 pandemic.
- BRICS is a group of the world's five emerging economies (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).
- It was established in June 2006.
3. Petersberg Climate Dialogue concluded for the first time by video conference
- Recently the Petersberg Climate Dialogue was held for the first time through a video conference.
- Ministers and representatives of about 30 countries have participated in this conference.
- On behalf of India, Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar attended this meeting.
- This was the first virtual climate dialogue and 11th edition of the Petersberg Climate Dialogue.
- It was started in 2010.
- It is hosted by Germany to provide a forum for informal high-level political discussions, focusing on the advancement of international climate negotiations and climate action.
4. All employees of the major port will be insured for Rs 50 lakhs
- Recently the Ministry of Shipping has decided to provide insurance of Rs 50 lakh for the employees working at all major ports in case of death due to COVID-19.
- This facility will also be provided to contract workers directly appointed by the port.
- This announcement has been made keeping in mind the risk of COVID-19 infection while doing port related work.
- This announcement is only for the COVID-19 pandemic, which will remain in force until 30 September 2020.
- If necessary, then a decision will be taken as per its review.
- India has a total of 13 major sea ports, 12 of which are government and one is Kamarajar Port (Ennore Port) of Chennai is corporate. The other 12 major ports of India are as follows:
- Kolkata Port
- Paradip Port
- New Mangalore Port
- Cochin Port
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port
- Mumbai Port
- Kandla Port
- Visakhapatnam Port
- Chennai port
- Tuticorin Port
- Mormugao Port
- Port Blair port
5. Justice Dipankar Datta was sworn in as new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Recently Justice Dipankar Datta has been sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
- Bhagat Singh Koshyari, governor of Maharashtra, administered him the oath of office at Raj Bhavan.
- Mr. Datta is a former judge of the Calcutta High Court.
- Datta will replace Justice Bhushan Dharmadhikari, who has retired from the post of Chief Justice.
6. In Madhya Pradesh, Jeevan Amrit Yojana was launched
- Recently, Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan has launched Jeevan Amrit Yojana.
- The scheme aims to enhance the immune system of the citizens of the state.
- The State government will distribute a packet of special Trikut Churna prepared by the Department of AYUSH to the citizens for free.
- In collaboration with the AYUSH department, 50 gram packets of Trikut Churna made of Peepal, Ginger and Pepper have been prepared by Madhya Pradesh Small Forest Produce Association.
- Madhya Pradesh:
- Madhya Pradesh ranks second in terms of area in the country after Rajasthan.
- The state capital is Bhopal.
- The Chief Minister is Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Governor Lalji Tandon.
- The state animal of the state is Barasingha.
- The state bird of Madhya Pradesh is the Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Dudhraj).
- The state's state flower is Palash.
- The state is famous for Sanchi Stupa and Bhima Bedaka Caves.
7. Start of Jagananna Vidya Deevena Scheme in Andhra Pradesh
- Recently, Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, introduced the Jaganna Vidya Deevena scheme in Guntur district.
- Under this scheme, in the upcoming academic session 2020-21, fee reimbursement will be transferred to the accounts of the parents of the students instead of the accounts of the colleges.
- Through the scheme, an amount of 15,000 to 20,000 rupees will be given to the eligible candidates.
- The Andhra Pradesh government will reimburse fee for ITI, BTech, B Pharma, MBA, MCA and B.Ed courses.
8. Economic activities started at Numaligarh Refinery Limited, Assam
- Economic activities have been started in Assam's Numaligarh Refinery Limited with adequate precautions.
- Employees initially worked from home during the lockdown.
- Numaligarh Refinery is located in Morangi, Golaghat District in Assam.
- It is a refinery owned by Numaligarh Refinery Limited which is a joint venture of Bharat Petroleum, Oil India and Government of Assam.
- It was founded in 1993.
9. Asian Development Bank approves $ 1.5 billion loan to India
- Recently, the Asian Development Bank has approved a $ 1.5 billion loan to India to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This loan is part of a larger package of assistance that will be provided by the Asian Development Bank in coordination with the government and other development partners.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- It is a regional development bank.
- Its headquarters are located in Mandalayung, Philippines.
- It was established on 19 December 1966.
- Its president is Matsugu Asakawa.
10. Global Macro Outlook 2020-21 released
- Recently the Global Macro Outlook 2020-21 has been released by Moody's.
- It lowers G-20 advanced economies as a group to reduce by 5.8% in 2020 due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
- India's growth forecast for year 2020 has been reduced by 0.2% from 2.5% in March 2020.
- However, for 2021, Moody's expects India's growth rate to reach 6.2 percent.
- China's economy is projected to grow by 1% in 2020.
- Moody's Corporation, often referred to as Moody's, is a US financial services company. Its headquarters are located in New York, United States.
11. 29 April: International Dance Day
- International Dance Day is celebrated every year on 29 April.
- The day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Jean Georges Noverre, the creator of modern ballet.
- International Dance Day is a global dance festival, created in 1982 by the Dance Committee of the International Theater Institute.
- The International Theater Institute is the main partner for UNESCO's performing arts.
- This day has been observed by all member states of the United Nations.
Read the complete list of Important Days in April