- 1. Canadian Space Agency to be headed by a female for the first time.
- 2. READ 2020 programme to be launched in Kerala.
- 3. Teacher’s Day: 5 September
- 4. International Day of Charity: 5 September
- 5. An agreement signed between Tribal Affairs Ministry and IIPA.
- 6. Expansion of Kaziranga National Park approved by Assam Government.
- 7. SPPU maintained its ranking in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- 8. Global Health Tech Summit 2020 organized by PCCI.
- 9. CCI approved acquisition of Metso Oyj’s minerals business by Outotec Oyj.
- 10. CSIR-CMERI develops Solar Powered Battery based Sprayers.
1. Canadian Space Agency to be headed by a female for the first time.
- Lisa Campbell has become the first female President of the Canadian Space Agency (CSA).
- CSA will have first female head in the 31-year history of the agency.
- She will replace Sylvain Laporte, who was serving as the President of CSA since 2015.
- Canadian Space Agency (CSA):
- It was established in March 1989.
- It is responsible for the management of civil space-related activities in Canada.
- It reports to the federal Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development.
- Headquarters: Quebec
- Currently, CSA is contributing the Fine Guidance Sensor to James Webb Space Telescope of NASA.
2. READ 2020 programme to be launched in Kerala.
- In Kerala, the Responsible Adolescence (READ) 2020 programme will be launched on 25 September.
- The program aims to help adolescents by inculcating self-awareness, social responsibility and making them well-rounded individuals.
- Skills and knowledge will be imparted via a series of interactive online classes and seminars.
- Subjects covered are Internet Safety, financial literacy, Indian Constitution, human rights, etc.
- MKMS Education is promoting READ 2020 program with the support of Indian Medical Association, Lions Club, Kerala High Court Advocates’ Association, Thrissur Government Medical College, and others.
- The programme is free of cost and will be English and Malayalam.
- The state was formed on 1 November 1956.
- Kerala is known as the Spice Garden of India.
- The state shares its border with Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
- Official language: Malayalam
- Kerala has 20 Lok Sabha seats and 9 Rajya Sabha seats.
3. Teacher’s Day: 5 September
- Every year since 1962, on the birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, Teacher’s Day is celebrated.
- Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was the second President of India and first Vice President of India.
- He was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1954 and Templeton Prize in 1975.
- His philosophy was based on Advaita Vedanta and he wrote books such as the philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore, The Hindu View of Life, Recovery of Faith.
- Teacher’s Day is celebrated to honour contributions of teachers.
- World Teacher’s Day is celebrated by UNESCO on 5 October.
4. International Day of Charity: 5 September
- International Day of Charity is celebrated annually on 5 September. It marks death of Mother Teresa, who got Nobel Prize in 1979 for her work on poverty.
- She was born as Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in 1910 and came to India in 1928.
- She started the order of Missionaries of Charity in Kolkota (Calcutta) in 1950 and died on 5 September 1997.
- United Nations General Assembly declared 5 September as International Day of Charity in 2012.
|Featured Study Material|
|Important Days in September||Important Days in August|
|List of Important Days in July||List of Important Days in June|
5. An agreement signed between Tribal Affairs Ministry and IIPA.
- An agreement has been signed between the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and the Indian Institute of Public Administration, IIPA, to establish the National Institute of Tribal Research at its Delhi campus.
- This national institute will be involved with other reputed government and non-government NGOs in quality tribal research.
- The agreement was signed during the two-day National Tribal Research Conclave.
- Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA):
- It was established in 1954.
- It is an autonomous research and training institute under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The President of IIPA is M. Venkaiah Naidu (Vice President of India).
- It is located in New Delhi.
- Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda
6. Expansion of Kaziranga National Park approved by Assam Government.
- The government of Assam has approved the expansion of Kaziranga National Park.
- An area of 30.53 sq km will be added to 884 sq km Kaziranga National Park.
- Kaziranga National Park:
- It was designated UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985.
- It was declared a Tiger Reserve in 2006.
- The park is also recognized as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International.
- It hosts two-third of the world’s great one-horned rhinos.
- It has an estimated 2,413 rhinos and 121 tigers.
(Source: The Hindu)
7. SPPU maintained its ranking in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) has maintained its ranking between 600-800 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- SPPU was ranked between 651 and 700 in the QS World University Ranking 2021 and ninth in NIRF 2020.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings declared the list of top 1000 universities in the world. It ranks universities based on criteria like teaching, research, international students, global exposure and dissemination of knowledge.
- SPPU was established in 1949 and was formerly known as University of Pune. It is located in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Times Higher Education is a weekly magazine that publishes news and issues related to higher education. It is UK’s leading publication in the field of higher education.
8. Global Health Tech Summit 2020 organized by PCCI.
- Global Health Tech Summit 2020 was organized by the Punjab Chamber of Commerce and Industries (PCCI), under its global initiative World Punjabi Business Forum (WPBF).
- The theme of the summit was “Bridging Gaps: Leveraging Innovation for transformation of Healthcare in India”.
- Distinguished doctors, hospitals, institutions, innovators, start-ups, and other stakeholders participated in the summit.
- The purpose of the summit was to build a global platform for knowledge-sharing, sharing best practices, disseminate information to industry leaders regarding digital technology in healthcare.
(Source: Indian Express)
9. CCI approved acquisition of Metso Oyj’s minerals business by Outotec Oyj.
- The acquisition of Metso Oyj’s (“Metso”) minerals business by Outotec Oyj (“Outotec”) has been given green signal by the Competition Commission of India.
- Outotec will acquire assets, rights, debts and liabilities related to mineral business of Metso.
- This proposal for acquisition is an integration of two strong and close competitors in the market for Iron Ore Palletisation (IOP) Equipment Island in India and will reduce the competition.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI):
- It is a statutory body responsible for implementing the Competition Act, 2002.
- It was formed on 14 October 2003.
- It has a chairman and not less than 2 and not more than 10 members. The chairman and other members are appointed by the central government.
- Chairman: Ashok Gupta
10. CSIR-CMERI develops Solar Powered Battery based Sprayers.
- CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute has developed affordable solar-powered battery based sprayers to reduce water consumption in agriculture.
- 70% of water is consumed by the agriculture sector for irrigation purposes, and therefore, it is the most vulnerable sector of the economy.
- Drip irrigation is a technique to reduce water consumption, but it is not affordable for marginal to small farmers.
- These sprays will help save 75% of water and 25% time-consumption.
- CSIR-CMERI has developed two types of battery-operated spray systems-
- Back Pack Sprayer with a capacity of 5 liters for marginal farmers
- Compact Trolley Sprayer with a capacity of 10 litres for small farmers
- CSIR-CMERI has recently developed the world’s largest solar tree.
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More