1. Reserve Bank of India announced the sixth and last bi-monthly monetary policy for the financial year 2019-20
- Reserve Bank of India has announced the sixth and last bi-monthly monetary policy for the financial year 2019-20.
- Despite the economic slowdown in the country, the Reserve Bank of India has maintained the status quo in the original policy rates in the Sixth Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Review for the financial year 2019-20.
- There has been no change in the repo rate (5.15%) and reverse repo rate (4.90%).
- The rate of the marginal standing facility (MSF) and bank rate have been maintained at the level of 5.40%.
The six-member Monetary Policy Committee chaired by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das has taken this decision unanimously.
2. Vice-President of Vietnam Dang Thai Ngoc Thinh on an official visit to India from 11th to 13th February
- Vietnam's Vice President, Dang Thai Ngoc Thinh, will be on an official visit to India from 11th to 13th February 2020.
- During this time, he will hold delegation-level talks with Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and will meet President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Also, a direct flight between India and Vietnam will be announced.
- The visit of the Vice President of Vietnam will strengthen the broad strategic partnership established between the two countries in 2016.
- Vietnam is a Southeast Asian country and is famous for its beaches, rivers and Buddhist pagodas.
- Its capital is Hanoi and the currency is Vietnamese dong.
3. International Gandhi Award for Leprosy was presented to Dr. N S Dharmashaktu
- Dr. N S Dharmashaktu was awarded the International Gandhi Award for Leprosy.
- The award was presented to him and Leprosy Eradication Mission Trust by the President of India Ramnath Kovind in New Delhi.
- India has achieved less than one case of leprosy per ten thousand population towards the eradication of leprosy.
- Leprosy, also known as Hansen's disease, is a chronic infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium leprae.
4. NASA astronaut Christina Koch spent a record 328 days on the International Space Station
- NASA astronaut Christina Koch has returned safely to Earth after spending a record 328 days at the International Space Station.
- Koch has returned to Earth after an 11-month mission, which is the world record for the most time spent in space by a woman.
- Koch has broken the record of 289 days spent on the International Space Station by American astronaut Peggy Whitson.
- Koch's medical data will be particularly valuable to NASA scientists as the agency is preparing plans for long-term manned missions to Mars.
5. Death of famous Hollywood veteran actor Kirk Douglas in California
- 103-year-old Hollywood veteran actor, Kirk Douglas, has passed way in California.
- He was born in New York in 1916.
- He worked in more than ninety films for six decades between 1940 and 2000.
- He rose to fame during the Golden Age of Hollywood and won four Oscar Awards.
- Kirk Douglas is best known for his memorable role in “I Am Spartacus.”
6. Sports Authority of India announced to set up high-performance centers in seven cities of the country
- Sports Authority of India and Hockey India have announced to set up high performance centers for junior and sub-junior players in seven cities of the country.
- Its objective is to prepare talents for the Olympics of 2024 and 2028.
- These academies will be started under the Khelo India scheme.
- These centers will start in the next three months at Major Dhyanchand National Stadium in Delhi, National Hockey Academy, Sundargarh, Bhopal and Bengaluru in Odisha, while the remaining three centers in Imphal, Pune and Ranchi will start in the next one year.
- Under this, players will also be given opportunities to play internationally.
7. Rakhi Halder won the gold medal in the Senior Women's National Weightlifting Championships
- Rakhi Halder of Bengal has won the gold medal in the 64 kg category at the 35th Senior Women's National Weightlifting Championships.
- She won this medal by defeating Harjinder Kaur of Chandigarh.
- At the Commonwealth Championships in June 2019, Halder lifted the gold medal by lifting 214 kg.
- This competition is organized in Kolkata.
8. India - Central Asia Business Council held in New Delhi
- India-Central Asia Business Council was held in New Delhi.
- Addressing the council, Dr. Jaishankar said that Central Asia is not a far-flung region for India but is part of India's extended neighbourhood.
- FICCI in partnership with five of the industry bodies of Central Asian countries launched the council.
- The outcomes of India-Central Asian dialogue held in Samarkand in 2019 has led to the formation of this council.
- The countries that are part of the Central Asian region are Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. What is the current repo rate as per the decision taken during the meeting of Monetary Policy Committee?
2. Who among the following has been conferred the International Gandhi Awards for Leprosy?
A. Dr. K. N. Mishra
B. Dr. Devi Shetty
C. Dr. N.S. Dharmashaktu
D. Dr. K. Srinath Reddy
3. Dang Thai Ngoc Thinh is the Vice-President of which of the following countries?
4. Christina Koch returned to Earth safely after an 11-month mission becoming the first woman to spend maximum time in space. She belongs to which of the following countries?
5. Kirk Douglas recently passed away. He was ________.
6. Who among the following has bagged gold in 64kg category at Senior Women's National Weightlifting Championships?
A. Harjinder Kaur
B. Punam Yadav
C. Santoshi Matsa
D. Rakhi Halder
7. Which of the following countries is not a part of the Central Asian region?