Daily Current Affairs and GK | 16 May 2020
March Success OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MARCH23
1. Central Government announced the third phase under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan
- India's Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced the third phase under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an incentive package of twenty lakh crores rupees under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Yojana to make India self-reliant.
- In the third part, special attention is given to agriculture and allied sectors.
- This announcement is as follows:
- A package of one lakh 63 thousand crores has been announced for agriculture and allied sectors. It aims to strengthen infrastructure, logistics and capacity building in the agricultural sector.
- Besides, it has also announced to create an agricultural infrastructure fund of one lakh crore rupees for the farmers. It will fund farmers, agricultural produce organizations, primary cooperative organizations, agricultural entrepreneurs and startups.
- Apart from this, various types of schemes have also been announced for micro food enterprises, cattle vaccination, dairy sector, herbal farming, bee keeping and fruits and vegetables.
- Also, a plan of Rs. 10 thousand crores for micro food enterprises was announced. Two lakh micro food enterprises will benefit from this scheme.
(Source: Times of India)
2. Government announces Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- Recently, the government has announced the launch of Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
- An allocation of 20 thousand crores has been made for this scheme.
- Out of this, 11,000 crore rupees will be given for marine and inland activities and 9,000 crores for infrastructure development like fishing harbor, cold chain and markets. The scheme is expected to provide employment to more than 55 lakh people.
- This announcement was made by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman during the announcement of the third part of the economic stimulus package of Rs 20 lakh crore in New Delhi.
(Source: News on AIR)
- Along with this, a fund of Rs 13,343 crore has been created for the vaccination of cattle and an animal husbandry infrastructure fund of Rs 15 thousand crore has been announced.
- A fund of Rs 4,000 crores has been announced to promote herbal farming. Under this, the target of herbal cultivation on 10 lakh hectare land has been set in the next two years.
- The government has announced to bring all fruits and vegetables under Operation Greens, for which an additional amount of Rs 500 crore will be given. Initially tomatoes, onions and potatoes were under this operation.
- A provision of Rs 500 crore has also been made for bee keeping.
3. EPFO relieves companies from fines for delayed deposits
- Recently the EPFO has announced a relief to companies for penalty for delayed deposits during lockdown.
- This announcement has been given by the Center to companies falling under the Employees Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- Delays during lockdown will not be considered as default and penal compensation will not be awarded.
- Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO):
- It is a statutory body constituted by the EPF and MP Act, 1952.
- It works under the Ministry of Labor and Employment.
- It was established on 4 March 1952.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
4. Minister of Human Resource Development e-launched the set of seven titles
- Recently Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank e-launched the e-editions of seven titles.
- These seven titles are on “Psycho-Social Impact of Pandemic & Lockdown and How to Cope With.”
- Along with the e-launch of the series, e-print was also launched.
- The series is published by the National Book Trust.
- Notable and unique uses have been described for combating the formidable conditions facing the world.
5. Launch of ‘GOAL’ Program in New Delhi
- Recently the GOAL program has been launched by Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda in New Delhi.
- The full form of GOAL program is “Going Online as Leaders” program.
- It was started in collaboration with Facebook.
- It aims to provide education and counseling to the tribal youth through digital medium.
- Under this program, 5,000 tribal youth will be empowered by providing skill training in a phased manner.
- This program will help to bring out the hidden talent of tribal youth and in their personality development. It will also help them in contributing in all round development of their society.
6. $ 145 million funding for West Bengal major irrigation and flood management project
- Recently, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) approved a $ 145 million funding for the West Bengal major irrigation and flood management project.
- For this, an agreement has been signed between the Government of India, the Government of West Bengal and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
- It will be used to improve irrigation services and flood management in the Damodar Valley Command area in West Bengal.
- The project will provide about 27 lakh farmers in five districts of the state with better irrigation services and protection from annual floods.
(Source: The Hindu)
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB):
- It is a multilateral development bank that aims to support the infrastructure development in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Its headquarters are located in Beijing, China.
- It was established by a multilateral treaty on 25 December 2015, and began operations in January 2016.
7. Defense Minister Rajnath Singh approved the Defense Testing Infrastructure Scheme
- Recently Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the Defense Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS).
- The objective of this scheme is to promote domestic defense and aerospace manufacturing.
- A provision of Rs 400 crore has been made for state-of-the-art testing infrastructure for this sector.
- For the projects under this scheme, 75% of the cost will be provided by the Central Government as grant-in-aid and the remaining 25% will be borne by Indian private companies and State Governments.
- This scheme will continue for five years.
- Also, it is proposed to set up six to eight new testing centers with private industry participation.
- This scheme will encourage indigenous defense production, reduce import of military equipment and most importantly help in making the country self-reliant.
8. Commissioning of Landing craft utility ship "INLCU L57" into Indian Navy
- Recently landing craft utility ship ‘INLCU L57’ was commissioned in Indian Navy at Port Blair.
- It is the seventh landing craft utility (LCU) MK-IV class to join the Indian Navy.
- Along with Lieutenant Commander Harshvardhan Venugopal, 5 officers and 45 sailors commanded the ship.
- The ship was designed and indigenously built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, GRSE, Kolkata.
- The ship is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and advance systems.
- It has the capability to transport main battle tanks and armoured vehicles, soldiers and equipment such as Arjun, T-72.
- The ship can also be used for multi-layered activities such as search and rescue, disaster relief operations, supplies and replenishment and evacuation.
9. Death of eminent litterateur, educationist and national professor Anisuzzaman
- Recently, Bangladesh's renowned litterateur, educationist and national professor Anisuzzaman passed away at the age of 83.
- He was found to be corona positive at the time of his death.
- Pro. Anisuzzaman was a freedom fighter, he also participated in the Bengali language movement against Pakistan.
- He was born in Kolkata in 1937, his family moved to Bangladesh soon after India's independence in 1947.
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2014 by the Government of India.
10. World Bank's One Billion Dollar Support in India's COVID-19 Social Security Program
- Recently the World Bank will provide a support of one billion dollars in India's COVID-19 social security program.
- The World Bank has committed a total of two billion dollars to India to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Last month also, the bank approved a $ 1 billion loan to support the health sector in India.
- This new amount will be released in two phases. In the first phase, $ 750 million will be given for FY 2020 and $ 250 million for the second phase will be provided post July.
- The first phase will be used to fund the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana across the country.
- Social security system will be increased in the second phase of World Bank assistance.
- World Bank:
- The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to governments in poor countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects.
- It is headquartered in Washington D.C., United States.
- It was founded in 1944.
- The World Bank’s India director is Junaid Kamal Ahmad.