1. Soil Health Card Day observed
- The Soil Health Card Day is observed on February 19, 2020.
- The scheme was launched in 2015 at Suratgarh in Rajasthan.
- Under the scheme, the Soil health card is provided every 2 years to fulfill the nutritional deficiency of the soil.
- The card provides information about the nutrition status of the soil.
- In cycle 1 (2015 to 17), 10.74 crore Soil Health cards and in Cycle 2 (2017 to 19), 11.74 crores Soil Health Cards were distributed.
- Nagaland also observed the soil health card day and a regional workshop was organized at ICAR Research Complex for North Eastern Hill Region in Umiam, Meghalaya.
2. Sunil Kumar wins gold in Asian Wrestling Championship
- Sunil Kumar has won gold in 87 Kg Greco Roman Category in Asian Wrestling Championship at New Delhi.
- He beat Azat Salidinov of Kyrgyzstan.
- Asian Wrestling Championship is organized every year by the Asian Associated Wrestling Committee.
3. IDSA to be renamed in the honour of Manohar Parrikar
- Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses will be renamed as Manohar Parrikar Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses.
- The decision was taken in the honor of former Defence Minister and Padam Bhushan Awardee.
- During his tenure, important decisions like implementation of One Rank, One Pension Scheme and setting up of the DB Shekatkar Committee to enhance the defence capabilities were taken.
- It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Defence set up in 1965 under the Societies Registration Act.
- Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- It is tasked with research and study all relevant topics related to defence and security.
4. Eligibility of central employees for old pension scheme
- According to an order of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, all central employees whose appointment was finalized before January 1, 2004, but joined after that are eligible under the old pension scheme instead of National Pension Scheme.
- The benefits of the old pension scheme can be availed till May 31, 2020.
- National Pension Scheme:
- It is a voluntary retirement saving scheme launched in 2004.
- It applies to various sections through various models like all citizens model, the government sector (central government employees), corporate model and Atal Pension Yojna.
5. CBRI Roorkee workshop in Nepal on post Earthquake reconstruction
- Central Building Research Institute Roorkee organized a workshop on the post-earthquake reconstruction of educational infrastructure in Nepal.
- The workshop was organized in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- India is supporting the reconstruction of 70 higher secondary schools and 1 library as part of post-disaster relief in which CBRI is tasked at providing Design Supervision and Project Management Consultancy Services for the reconstruction of 70 higher secondary schools in seven districts of Nepal.
- It is a landlocked country in South Asia.
- Its capital is Kathmandu, and its currency is Nepalese Rupee.
6. Female golfer Mickey Wright died at the age of 85
- The greatest female golfer Mickey Wright died at the age of 85 in Florida, USA.
- Her 13 major wins included four US Women's Open titles and four US Women's PGA Championships.
- Wright collected 82 titles of the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour titles from 1954 to 1969.
7. All India Football Federation got the "Grassroots Charter Bronze Level" membership of AFC
- AIFF has obtained the "Grassroots Charter Bronze Level" membership of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- This has been confirmed in a letter by the Asian sports governing body.
- This declaration of AFC empowers AIFF to promote its grassroots events and activities with support of AFC.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF):
- It is the governing body of football in India.
- It was founded on 23 June 1937.
- Its headquarters is located in Delhi.
- Current President: Praful Patel
8. Central government has set a target of doubling milk processing capacity by 2025
- The central government will facilitate milk processing capacity to increase from 53 million tonnes to 108 million tonnes by 2025.
- The milk production in India has grown by 6.4 percent during the last five years and has increased from 146 million tonnes in 2014-15 to 187 million tonnes in 2018-19.
- The ministry said, about 54 percent of the milk produced is market surplus and the remaining 46 percent is kept in villages for local consumption.
- It is known that this goal has also been discussed in the Budget 2020-21.
9. Financial Action Task Force has retained Pakistan in the grey list
- Pakistan has been retained in the grey list on the recommendation of the International Co-Operation Review Group (ICRG) of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- Pakistan has completely failed to implement a 27-point action plan to investigate terrorist financing.
- The final decision will be announced at the end of the five-day FATF plenary session in Paris.
- Financial Action Task Force:
- An inter-governmental organization established in 1989 to develop policies to deal with money laundering at the initiative of the G-7.
- It is headquartered in Paris, France.
10. Pakistan successfully test-fires nuclear-capable cruise missile Ra’ad-II
- Recently Pakistan has successfully test-fired nuclear-capable air launched cruise missile Ra’ad-II.
- The cruise missile has a range of 600 km.
- This missile is equipped with state-of-the-art technical and navigation systems.
- This test has greatly enhanced the Pakistani army's "deterrence capability" on land and sea.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Soil Health Card Day is observed on
A. 19 February 2020
B. 18 February 2020
C. 17 February 2020
D. 16 February 2020
2. Who won gold in 87Kg Greco- Roman category of Asian Weightlifting Championship?
A. Virendra Singh
B. Sunil Kumar
C. Pardeep Singh
D. None of the above
3. IDSA will be renamed after Manohar Parrikar, which of the following is true about him?
A. He was former Chief Minister of Goa.
B. He was former Defence Minister of India.
C. He will be awarded Padam Bhushan 2020 posthumously.
D. All of the above
4. National Pension Scheme was launched in which year?
5. Central Building Research Institute is located in
6. Mickey Wright who died recently was related to which of the following sports?
7. Where is the headquarters of All India Football Federation located?
8. What is the target of milk processing capacity set up by the union government to be achieved by 2025?
A. 53 million tonne
B. 108 million tonne
C. 54 million tonne
D. 109 million tonne
9. Where is the headquarters of the Financial Action Task Force situated?
10. Ra’ad II missile has been test fired recently, it belongs to which country?