1. Two new species of birds found in the Union Territory of Ladakh
- Recently a three-day great backyard bird count was conducted in the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- These counts were conducted by the Wildlife Conservation and Birds Club of Ladakh.
- Three groups of birdwatchers and wildlife experts counted a total of 87 different species of birds in Ladakh.
- During the census, two new species of birds in Ladakh, Red-throated Thrush and Plumbeous Water Redstart have been found for the first time in the Ladakh region.
- The Common Rose Finch and Gray Heron species have arrived earlier this time in Ladakh.
2. Central Consumer Protection Authority will be formed soon
- Food and Consumer Affairs Minister announced that the Central Consumer Protection Authority will be formed by the first week of April this year.
- This authority will be set up under the Consumer Protection Act 2019.
- This authority will address issues related to consumer rights, unfair trade practices and misleading advertisements and impose fines for the sale of counterfeit and adulterated foods.
- Also, an investigative arm will be set up under the authority to investigate cases related to unfair trade practices and misleading advertisements.
- The rules related to the act will be finalized within one and a half months.
- The minister also stressed the need to regulate e-commerce and direct sales as there is no regulatory body yet for these sectors.
3. Government unveiled the program Scientific Utilization through Research Augmentation- Prime Products from Indigenous Cows (SUTRA-PIC)
- The government has unveiled 'SUTRA PIC', a program to research indigenous cows.
- SUTRA PIC- Scientific Utilization Through Research Augmentation - Prime Products from Indigenous Cows
- The program is a collaborative effort of Ministry of AYUSH, ICMR, CSIR and Department of Biotechnology.
- The program is headed by department of the Science for Equity, Empowerment and Development (SEED).
- Its objective is to develop Panchagavya products as well as improve the genetic quality of the breeds of indigenous cows.
- Panchagavya is a mixture of five products of cow - milk, curd, ghee, cow dung and urine.
4. Announcement of five host cities of India for FIFA Under-17 Women's Football World Cup
- Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has announced the names of five host cities for the FIFA Under-17 Women's Football World Cup in New Delhi.
- These World Cup matches will be held in five cities of the country - Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata and Navi Mumbai.
- The final will take place on 21 November in Navi Mumbai.
- The competition starts from 2 November this year.
- Also the official slogan of the World Cup tournament- Kick off the Dream was also launched.
- India's Under-17 women's team is participating in the FIFA competition for the first time.
5. First meeting of Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra Trust was held in New Delhi
- Recently the first meeting of Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teertha Kshetra Trust constituted for the construction of temple in Ayodhya was held in New Delhi.
- It was decided in the meeting that a committee will be formed to decide the construction of the temple, headed by Nripendra Mishra, former Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Modi.
- Also, Mahant Nritya Gopal Das has been made the chairman of the trust and Champat Rai has been made the general secretary.
- The 15-member trust has been formed in November in compliance with the Supreme Court's decision on the Ayodhya dispute.
6. Britain announced the launch of the country's new points-based visa system
- UK Home Minister Priti Patel has announced the launch of the country's new points-based visa system.
- Under this, points will be given for specific skills, qualifications, salary and occupation. Only those who score the most or enough points will be granted visas.
- The purpose of this visa system is to attract highly skilled and talented people from all over the world including India.
- The new system will be implemented from January 1, 2021 at the end of transition period after Brexit.
- It is known that Britain split from the European Union last month.
7. ‘Run for India Tea’ organized in the northeastern state of Tripura
- In Tripura, the ‘Run for India Tea’ was organized to promote and popularize India tea across the country along with Tripura tea.
- Tripura is a mountainous state in northeastern India, surrounded by Bangladesh on 3 sides, and home to a diverse mix of tribal cultures and religious groups.
- Its capital is Agartala.
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais
8. 20 February 2020 was celebrated as the 34th Foundation Day in Arunachal Pradesh
- The 34th Statehood Day of Arunachal Pradesh was observed on 20 February 2020.
- The main event took place at IG Park, Itanagar.
- It is known that Arunachal Pradesh became a state on 20 February 1987.
- Arunachal Pradesh:
- Arunachal Pradesh is the easternmost state of India.
- Its capital is Itanagar.
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: BD Mishra
9. Sachin Tendulkar has been selected for Laureus Best Sporting Moment Award
- India's great cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has been selected for Laureus Best Sporting Moment in the last 20 years.
- Former Australian cricket captain Steve Waugh presented this trophy to Tendulkar.
- After India's victory in the World Cup in 2011, the players of the team made him sit on the shoulders. It had become a memorable moment for which he has been awarded.
10. Indian wrestlers won five medals in Greco-Roman events in the Asian Wrestling Championship
- Indian wrestlers won five medals in Greco-Roman events in the Asian Wrestling Championship in New Delhi. Ashu, Aditya Kundu and Hardeep have won bronze medals in their respective weight categories.
- India has so far won a total of five medals in this championship after winning the historic gold medal of Sunil Kumar in 87 kg category and Arjun Halkurki bronze in 55 kg weight category of Greco-Roman event.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. Recently in which area Red-throated Thrush and Plumbeous Water Redstart have been found for the first time?
D. Madhya Pradesh
2. The government has announced that the Central Consumer Protection Authority will be formed by the first week of April. Under which act will this authority be constituted?
A. Consumer Protection Act 2016
B. Consumer Protection Act 2019
C. Consumer Protection Act 2017
D. Consumer Protection Act 2018
3. Recently, the government has unveiled the program SUTRA-PIC, it is related to which subject?
A. Research in indigenous cows
B. Reducing students' stress
C. Assisting the handicapped
D. Providing women protection
4. FIFA U-17 Women's Football World Cup will be held in five cities of India. Which of the following is not included in them?
5. Recently, who has been appointed as the chairman of Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Trust constituted for the construction of temple in Ayodhya?
A. Nritya Gopal Das
B. Champat Rai
C. Nripendra Mishra
D. Amit Shukla
6. Recently which country has announced the launch of new points based visa system?
7. In which state was the Run for India Tea organized recently?
8. Which state's 34th Foundation Day was observed on 20 February 2020?
A. Arunachal Pradesh
B. Uttar Pradesh
C. Madhya Pradesh
9. Recently who has been selected for Laureus Best Sporting Moment Award?
A. Virender Sehwag
B. Sachin Tendulkar
C. Virat Kohli
D. Rohit Sharma
10. Which medal has Sunil Kumar won in the Asian wrestling championship being held in New Delhi?
A. Bronze medal
B. Silver Medal
C. Gold medal
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More