REPUBLIC DAY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code REPUBLIC
1. International Mother Language Day: 21 February
- The International Mother Language Day is celebrated on 21 February across the world annually since 2000 to promote linguistic and cultural diversity.
- It was the initiative of Bangladesh that was approved during the 1999 UNESCO General Conference.
- The day also marks the event such as the killing of four students on this day in 1952 in Bangladesh as they campaigned to use their mother language i.e. Bengali officially.
- Theme: “Language without borders.”
2. ‘5G Hackathon’ by Department of Telecommunications
- The Department of Telecommunication in collaboration with academia, government, and industry stakeholders, has launched the ‘5G Hackathon’.
- The hackathon will conclude on 16 October 2020 in a grand felicitation event at India Mobile Congress.
- The hackathon aims at shortlisting innovative ideas that can help develop India specific use cases for 5G.
- The winners of the three phases will share a total prize of Rs 2.5 crores.
- Developers, Start-ups, SMEs, students, institutions, NRIs, and registered companies in India can take part in this event.
- 5G has various advantages over 4G like high speed, multi-Gbps peak rate, low latency, spectrum efficiency, etc.
3. A bill to declare Cauvery Delta Region as protected passed in TN assembly
- A bill moved by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy to declare Cauvery Delta Region a Protected Special Agricultural Zone has been passed in the assembly.
- The bill aims to ban certain new industries like smelting of copper, aluminium, hydrocarbon exploration, tanneries and shipbreaking but will not affect any ongoing projects.
- It has been cleared that the infrastructure development projects will not be banned.
- The regions that come under the ambit of this bill are districts of Thanjavur, Tiruvarur and Nagapattinam and 5 blocks each of Cuddalore and Pudukkottai districts excluding districts of Trichy, Ariyalur and Karur, although they are part of the Cauvery delta region geographically.
- A 30-member Protected Agricultural Zone Authority will be set up, which will be chaired by TN CM.
4. Atal Kisan-Majdoor canteens to be opened in Haryana
- Atal Kisan-Majdoor canteens will be opened in all mandis and sugar mills in Haryana.
- The canteens will provide meals to labourers and farmers at a concessional rate of Rs.10/plate.
- The state government aims to set up 25 such canteens by the end of this year.
- The government has also planned to provide free and concessional travel facility for different categories of residents in Haryana roadways.
- The government will also provide free sanitary napkins to women and girls during the year 2020-21.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Current CM: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Current Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
5. In-house radio stations to be launched
- The government of West Bengal has decided to establish in-house radio stations in all 57 correctional homes.
- The initiative is a result of the success of one of the pilot projects of the state government named Dum Dum Central Correctional Home.
- The initiative aims at improving the living conditions of Jail inmates.
- West Bengal:
- Capital: Kolkata
- It shares its border with Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan.
- It is the fourth most populous state of India after Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Bihar.
- Current CM: Mamata Banerjee
- Current Governor: Jagdeep Dhankar
6. PV Sindhu won ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the year award
- The shuttler PV Sindhu won ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the year award for the 3rd consecutive time after winning in 2018 and 2019.
- In the male category, shooter Saurabh Chaudhary won the honour.
- Athlete Dutee Chand became the first winner of the Courage Award, for being an inspiration on and off the field.
- Chess Player Koneru Humpy won the comeback award of the year.
- Wrestler Deepak Punia got Emerging Sportsperson of the year award.
- Coach of the year award was given to Chief National Badminton Coach Pullela Gopichand.
- Moment of the year award was given to PV Sindhu.
- Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary won the Team of the Year award.
- Differently-abled Athlete of the Year/Para-Athlete of the Year award was given to the badminton player Manasi Joshi.
- ESPN's Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Hockey Player Balbir Singh Senior.
- The award is given on an annual basis across 10 categories in recognition of individual Indian players or a team.
7. Pragyan Ojha declared retirement from 1st class and international cricket
- Pragyan Ojha announced retirement from international and 1st class cricket.
- He last played in 2013 against West Indies in Mumbai.
8. Ross Taylor attained the record of playing 100 matches in all three formats of Cricket
- Ross Taylor from New Zealand has become the 1st person in the world to play 100 matches in all the 3 formats of cricket i.e T20, ODIs, and Test matches.
- His 100th test match is against India in Wellington, New Zealand.
- On the occasion, the 100th test cap was presented by former New Zealand wicketkeeper Ian Smith.
- His 100th T-20 international was against India last month and he has also played 231 One day Internationals for New Zealand.
9. MoU signed between India and Sri Lanka for upgradation of Plantation schools’ infrastructure in Sri Lanka
- India and Sri Lanka signed an MoU for the upgradation of plantation schools’ infrastructure in Sri Lanka for estate workers of Indian origin.
- The deal was finalized by acting High Commissioner Vinod. K. Jacob and Secretary of Ministry of Education of Sri Lanka N.H.M. Chithrananda in Colombo.
- Under the project, 9 plantation schools will be developed under the Indian grant assistance of INR 30 crores.
- The project is a part of India’s people-oriented Development Cooperation in Sri Lanka.
- The total committed development assistance by India amounts to USD 3.5 billion, out of which USD 500 million are given as a grant.
- Sri Lanka:
- It is an island country in South Asia.
- Its capital is Colombo, and the currency is Sri Lankan rupee.
10. 4 years of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee National Rurban Mission completed
- The scheme Shyama Prasad Mukherjee National Rurban Mission has completed its 4 years since launch.
- The mission aims at developing rural areas in clusters by focusing on economic development, basic services etc.
- NITI Aayog has proposed an extended program for 1000 clusters for the next 3 years.
- The scheme is operated under the Ministry of Rural Development.
11. Myanmar President on an official visit to India from February 26, 2020
- Myanmar President U Win Myint will be on a 4-day state visit to India.
- He will be accompanied by the First Lady Daw Cho Cho.
- It is a southeast Asian country sharing its border with India.
- Its capital is Naypyitaw, and the currency is Burmese kyat.
- The Indian states of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur share their border with Myanmar.
12. Kashi Mahakal Express started its maiden run from Indore in Madhya Pradesh
- The 3rd private train of IRCTC, the Kashi Mahakal Express, has departed from Indore to run on the Indore-Varanasi route.
- The train connects 3 Jyotirlingas i.e. Mahakaleshwar in Ujjain, Omkareshwar near Indore and Kashi Vishwanath in Varanasi.
- Earlier to private Tejas trains has been launched on Delhi-Lucknow and Ahmedabad- Mumbai route respectively.
- The Kashi- Mahakal Express is the 1st private train from Madhya Pradesh.
13. Amarjeet Sinha and Bhaskar Khulbe appointed as advisors to Prime Minister
- Amarjeet Sinha and Bhasker Khulbe, the retired IAS officers, have been appointed as advisors to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The appointments were approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- The appointments have been made on a contractual basis for 2 years or till further orders.
- The 1983 batch IAS officers were from Bihar and West Bengal cadre.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Recently, the Department of Telecommunications has launched a hackathon for which of the following technologies?
2. Which State Assembly has passed a bill declaring the Cauvery delta as Protected Special Agriculture Zone?
A. Tamil Nadu
D. Andhra Pradesh
3. Which of the following states will open up Atal Kisaan Majdoor Canteens?
B. Uttar Pradesh
4. Which of the following states will open up In-house Radio stations in correctional homes?
A. Uttar Pradesh
C. Madhya Pradesh
D. West Bengal
5. Recently which Indian player has been awarded ESPN Male Sportsperson of the year award?
A. Dinesh Kartik
B. Deepak Punia
C. Saurabh Chaudhary
D. Balbeer Singh
6. Which Indian Cricket Player recently announced retirement from 1st class and international cricket?
A. Virat Kohli
B. Pragyan Ojha
C. Rohit Sharma
D. Jasprit Bumrah
7. International Mother Language Day is celebrated every year on which day?
A. 19 February
B. 20 February
C. 21 February
D. 22 February
8. Who has become the first player to play 100 matches in all three formats of cricket?
A. Ross Taylor
B. Steve Smith
C. Virat Kohli
D. Jos Buttler
9. India has signed an MoU with ______ for the up-gradation of plantation schools' infrastructure.
D. Sri Lanka
10. Which of the following ministry is the implementing agency of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee National Rurban Mission?
A. Ministry of Rural Development
B. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
C. Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
D. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
11. What is the capital of Myanmar?
C. Phnom Penh
12. Kashi Mahakal Express has departed from Indore; the train will not connect which of the following jyotirlingas?
C. Kashi Vishwanath
13. Who among the following has been appointed as adviser to Prime Minister?
A. Amarjeet Sinha
B. Bhaskar Khulbe
C. Both A and B