Daily Current Affairs and GK | 23 and 24 May 2021
- 1. Commonwealth Day: 24 May
- 2. India will host U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2022.
- 3. Mount Nyiragongo, a volcano, erupted in eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo.
- 4. Cyclone Yaas likely to become very severe cyclonic storm.
- 5. Historic Ashoka Stupa treated as sacred in Leh.
- 6. Former Atomic Energy Commission chairman Dr. Srikumar Banerjee passed away.
- 7. Supreme Court committee releases manual for e-Courts Mobile services app.
- 8. Ayush Ministry will organize series of five webinars under "Be with Yoga, Be at Home" theme.
- 9. World Turtle Day 2021: 23 May
- 10. Network of qualified experts, counsellors and psychologists providing toll free tele counselling service.
- 11. Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson pledge to donate 1.3 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines.
- 12. Om Prakash Bhardwaj passes away due to age related health complications.
- 13. Four cases of white fungus infection detected in Patna.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: Important Days
1. Commonwealth Day: 24 May
- Commonwealth Day is annually celebrated in India on 24 May. It is celebrated in countries of Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Americas, the Pacific, and Europe.
- Commonwealth Day is observed to mark the birth anniversary of Queen Victoria, who was born on May 24, 1819.
- Initially, it was celebrated as Empire Day, but in 1958 it was renamed Commonwealth Day.
- The theme of Commonwealth Day 2021 is ‘Delivering a Common Future’.
- Commonwealth Nations:
- It is a political organization of 54 countries.
- Most of the countries in this were colonies of the British Empire.
- It was established in 1931.
- It is headquartered in London.
2. India will host U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2022.
- The U-17 Women’s World Cup will be organized in India from October 11 to 30, 2022. The FIFA Council announced the date in the 71st FIFA Congress.
- Earlier, FIFA had cancelled the 2021 Women’s Under-17 World Cup due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which was supposed to be hosted by India.
- FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup will be held in Costa Rica from 10 to 28 August 2022
- The 2022 FIFA World Cup will be hosted by Qatar, in which 32 teams will participate.
3. Mount Nyiragongo, a volcano, erupted in eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Mount Nyiragongo, a volcano, erupted in the eastern region of Democratic Republic of Congo on 22 May.
- Lava from volcanic eruption stopped a few hundred meters before the city of Goma. The volcano last erupted in 2002.
- Mount Nyiragongo is an active stratovolcano in Virunga Mountains. It is located in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Stratovolcano is also called a composite volcano. It is a conical volcano formed by many layers (strata) of hardened lava and tephra. Unlike shield volcanoes, stratovolcanoes are characterized by steep profile.
- Active volcanoes are volcanoes that are releasing gases, ashes and lava or have erupted in the recent past.
4. Cyclone Yaas likely to become very severe cyclonic storm.
- Cyclone Yaas is likely to become a very severe cyclonic storm and cross the coasts of Odisha and West Bengal on 26 May.
- The cyclone is named by Oman.
- As per India Meteorological Department (IMD), a low pressure area has formed over east-central Bay of Bengal and the adjoining north Andaman Sea on 22 May.
- This low pressure area is likely to cross West Bengal and adjoining north Odisha coasts around evening of 26 May. North Coastal Odisha is likely to witness light to moderate rainfall.
- Last week, cyclone Taukte hit the Gujarat coast. April-May and the October-December duration witness cyclones.
- Last May, Amphan and Nisarga hit Indian coasts. Super cyclonic storm Amphan was formed in Bay of Bengal and severe cyclonic storm Nisarga was formed in Arabian Sea.
Topic: Art and Culture
5. Historic Ashoka Stupa treated as sacred in Leh.
- A Historic Stupa of Ashokan times in Tiri village of Leh is treated as one of a sacred place of the region.
- During Ashoka times, Buddhism was introduced in the Ladakh region. The stupa in Tiri village of Leh district was erected by Ashoka.
- The stupa is protected by the monks of Hemis Monastery, the largest monastery in India.
- Ladakh is famous for its unique Art, culture, and exotic landscapes. Natural beauty and Buddhist Monasteries are the main attractions of this region.
- Stupas are used for keeping the holy relics of Buddha. The art of Stupa making reached its zenith during Ashoka.
- Some famous Stupa of India are:
Topic: Personality in News
6. Former Atomic Energy Commission chairman Dr. Srikumar Banerjee passed away.
- Recently, Former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman Srikumar Banerjee died at the age of 75.
- He worked as the director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) and also served as the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy.
- He also played a vital role in the India-US nuclear deal.
- He received the Padma Shri in 2005 and the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in 1989 for remarkable contribution in the field of Science.
- He will be remembered for his contributions in the field of atomic energy and metallurgy.
- Atomic Energy Commission:
- It was formed on 10 August 1948.
- It is the governing body of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- It is responsible for doing research in atomic science.
7. Supreme Court committee releases manual for e-Courts Mobile services app.
- The E-Committee of the Supreme Court has released a manual for the "e-Courts Services Mobile app" in 14 languages.
- The manual has been released in English and other regional languages.
- The “e-Courts Services Mobile app” has been launched by Supreme Court for providing e-Courts services to Litigants, Citizens, Lawyers, Police, Government Agencies, and other Institutional Litigants.
- People can access the information about the case status and court orders through this e-Courts services mobile app. The App acts as a personalized digital case diary for an individual.
- It will help in making the legal system more efficient, inclusive, accessible, and environmentally sustainable.
- Supreme Court:
- It was established on 28 January 1950.
- It is the apex court of India. At present, it has 34 Judges.
- Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana is the 48th Chief Justice of India.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
8. Ayush Ministry will organize series of five webinars under "Be with Yoga, Be at Home" theme.
- Ayush Ministry will organize series of five webinars under the theme of “Be with Yoga, Be at Home”. These webinars will be organized as part of the celebration of International Yoga Day 2021.
- Ayush Ministry will organize a series of five webinars in collaboration with five renowned organizations of the country.
- The first among the webinars series will be organized by the Art of Living on 24 May under the theme of “Finding inner strength amidst outer crisis.”
- The main aim of these webinars is to develop an understanding on the current issues.
- International Day of Yoga is celebrated every year on 21st June to raise awareness about the benefits of Yoga.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
9. World Turtle Day 2021: 23 May
- Every year World Turtle Day is observed on 23 May.
- It is celebrated to raise awareness about the protection of habitats of turtles. It also helps in making people aware about the species of Turtle.
- The theme for this year’s World Turtle Day is “Turtles Rock!”.
- There are around 300 species of turtles are present in the entire world. About 129 species of Turtles are in the endangered category.
- World Turtle Day was started by the American Tortoise Rescue (ATR) in 1990. It is a nonprofit organization involved in the protection of turtles.
- The turtle is the oldest reptile and the leatherback turtle is the largest Turtle.
- India has a total of 29 species of freshwater turtles. These are protected under the Wildlife Protection Act.
10. Network of qualified experts, counsellors and psychologists providing toll free tele counselling service.
- Network of qualified experts, counsellors and psychologists is providing toll free tele counselling service under the name of SAMVEDNA.
- Sensitizing Action on -Mental Health Vulnerability through Emotional Development and Necessary Acceptance is the full form of SAMVEDNA.
- The aim of SAMVEDNA is to provide emotional support to children in quarantine, isolation or at COVID care centres.
- It also focuses on children whose parents or family members are infected. It also focusses on children who have lost their parents due to COVID.
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) had first launched a tele-counselling psychology first aid facility.
- NCPCR has now asked state authorities to re-circulate information about tele-counselling facility at COVID care centres and isolation facilities.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson pledge to donate 1.3 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines.
- At Global Health Summit in Rome, Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have pledged to donate 1.3 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines on a non-profit basis to low and middle income countries.
- The pharmaceutical companies, Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson will provide vaccines to middle income countries at low cost and to low income countries at production cost.
- 100 million doses will be donated by European Union to low and middle income countries.
- European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen co-hosted the Global Health summit with Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi. Global Health Summit ended with signing of Rome declaration.
- The participants of Global Health Summit committed to make tangible progress towards the principles of the Rome Declaration by the G20 Summit in Rome in October 2021.
- Global Health Summit 2021 was held on 21 May in Rome. It has been organized by Italy in partnership with the European Commission.
Topic: Personality in News
12. Om Prakash Bhardwaj passes away due to age related health complications.
- Om Prakash Bhardwaj (OP Bhardwaj) passed away at the age of 82 due to age related health complications.
- He has distinction of being first Dronacharya awardee boxing coach of India.
- He was awarded Dronacharya award jointly with Bhalchandra Bhaskar Bhagwat (wrestling) and O M Nambiar (athletics) at the time Dronacharya award was started in 1985.
- He was India’s longest-serving chief boxing coach from 1965 to 1989.
Topic: Biotechnology and Disease
13. Four cases of white fungus infection detected in Patna.
- Four new cases of white fungus infection have been detected in Patna, Bihar.
- White fungus infection is more dangerous than black fungus infection.
- White fungus infection can be caused due to low immunity. COVID-like symptoms are found in the patients of white fungus.
- White fungus can affect not only lungs but also other parts of body. COVID-19 patients are more affected by white fungus.
- People who are taking steroids for long period must take special care they are more at risk of white fungus infection.
- White fungus is also known as candidiasis and is caused by candida group of organisms. Low oxygen levels, chest pain and cough are the symptoms of the white fungus.