- 1. ISRO received a patent for lunar soil manufacturing process
- 2. Khudol initiative of Manipur was listed among the top 10 global initiatives by the United Nations
- 3. Mizoram gave sports an industry status
- 4. Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana launched in Chhattisgarh
- 5. Squadron Number-18 Flying Bullets ready for launch
- 6. Famous hockey player Balbir Singh passed away
- 7. WHO temporarily banned testing of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19
- 8. Fastest Internet data speed in Australia achieved at 44.2 Tbps
- 9. Remdesivir reduces recovery time in patients with coronavirus
- 10. Iran’s Gasoline tanker arrival in Venezuela despite US sanctions
1. ISRO received a patent for lunar soil manufacturing process
- Recently the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has received a patent for the soil-making process for the Moon.
- A team of researchers from Periyar University and a professor at NIT Triuchi have collaborated to get this patent.
- A four-member team led by S. Anbalagan helped ISRO identify and produce lunar soil for its lander and rover tests for the Chandrayaan mission.
- This team created lunar simulant soil from anorthosite rock collected from Sitampoondi and Kunnamalai villages in Namakkal, Tamil Nadu.
- In 2014 an application for patent rights was made by ISRO.
- After thorough processing, the team was granted a patent on 18 May 2020.
- This patent will prove to be of further economic benefit, helping in further research in patent resource utilization and lunar missions.
2. Khudol initiative of Manipur was listed among the top 10 global initiatives by the United Nations
- Recently, the Khudol initiative of Manipur has been listed among the top 10 global initiatives by the United Nations.
- Khudol is listed among the top 10 global initiatives in an inclusive fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Khudol is an initiative of Ya_All, an NGO of Imphal.
- Khudol is a crowd funded initiative.
- The initiative emphasizes ensuring food, health and hygiene for LGBTQI+ communities, HIV-infected, daily wage workers, children and adolescents.
- Ya_all was founded in 2017.
- It conducts workshops for mental health.
- This organization formed India's first transgender football team.
3. Mizoram gave sports an industry status
- Recently, the northeast state of Mizoram has given the status of sports to the industry.
- The main objective of this decision is to professionalize sports in the state.
- The idea was first proposed in 2019 as part of the state's sports policy.
- The benefit of this decision will be that players will be able to earn a livelihood along with it.
- Mizoram is a state in northeast India.
- Its capital is Aizawl.
- Mizoram Governor is P.S. Sreedharan Pillai and the Chief Minister is Zoramthanga.
- The state animal of Mizoram is Sero (a type of antilope).
4. Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana launched in Chhattisgarh
- Recently Chhattisgarh government has launched Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana.
- The objective of this scheme is to ensure availability of minimum income to farmers growing one rabi and 13 kharif season crops in the state.
- 1,500 crore has been transferred to the accounts of more than 10,000 farmers through this scheme.
- It aims to benefit farmers who sow 14 types of crops.
- It is a state in Central India known for its temples and waterfalls.
- Its capital is Raipur.
- The State Governor is Anusuiya Uike and Chief Minister is Bhupesh Baghel.
5. Squadron Number-18 Flying Bullets ready for launch
- Squadron Number-18 Flying Bullets with light combat aircraft - Tejas fleet is fully ready for launch.
- It will be launched from Sulur Air Base near Air Force Coimbatore.
- Air Chief Marshal Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria will inaugurate it.
- This is the second squadron of the Air Force equipped with modern multi-purpose, light combat aircraft.
- Number-18 Squadron was formed in 1965. It was the first squadron to operate from Srinagar. During the war with Pakistan in 1971, personnel of this squadron were awarded Paramveer Chakra.
- Tejas is a fourth generation aircraft, developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. The aircraft is equipped with flight control systems, integrated digital avionics and multimode radar. This hypersonic aircraft, faster than the speed of sound, is the lightest and smallest aircraft of its kind.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. Famous hockey player Balbir Singh passed away
- Recently noted hockey player Balbir Singh died in Mohali, Punjab at the age of 95.
- He was a three-time Olympic gold medalist, and has also been awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- The President of India, the Vice President, the Prime Minister and the Home Minister have mourned his death.
(Source: News on AIR)
7. WHO temporarily banned testing of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19
- It has recently temporarily suspended clinical trials of hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
- The decision has been taken by WHO after a study published in The Lancet magazine, according to which patients using COVID-19 may increase their chances of dying using the hydroxychloroquine drug.
- Hydroxychloroquine is commonly used to treat arthritis and malaria, but US President Donald Trump's recommendation inspired people to use the drug.
- The Brazilian Health Minister also recommended the use of hydroxychloroquine as well as chloroquine.
- But Lancet's study found that both drugs can cause potentially serious side effects, particularly cardiac arrhythmias.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. Fastest Internet data speed in Australia achieved at 44.2 Tbps
- Recently researchers at Monash University, Australia achieved a data speed of 44.2 terabytes per second.
- It is the world's fastest internet data speed ever.
- This speed is attained by researchers attaching their new device to current fiber-optic technology, as used in broadband Internet networks.
- This can help increase the capacity of worldwide network connections.
- Currently the fastest internet is in Taiwan with a speed of 85.02 Mbps.
9. Remdesivir reduces recovery time in patients with coronavirus
- Recently, results by the United States' top infectious disease specialist organization have shown that the anti-viral drug remdesivir reduces the recovery time in patients with coronavirus.
- This research was published by the New England Journal of Medicine.
- The study found that remdesivir was most beneficial for patients with severe disease, especially those who needed supplemental oxygen.
- But tests have also revealed that the drug has not stopped all deaths due to COVID-19.
(Source: The Hindu)
10. Iran’s Gasoline tanker arrival in Venezuela despite US sanctions
- Despite the recent US sanctions, a gasoline tanker has arrived in Venezuela from Iran.
- According to the agreement Iran will supply 5 tanker gasoline to Venezuela.
- At present, the world's largest oil reserves, the troubled nation Venezuela, badly needs fuel.
- Venezuela has one of the largest refineries in the world, which is now engulfed by the chaos in the country.
- It is a country on the northern coast of South America with diverse natural attractions.
- Its capital is Caracas and currencies Venezuela Bolivar, Petro.
National Sports Day 2020 | List of Awardees of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and other Sports AwardsRead More