- 1. Report of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025 released by PM Modi during World Environment Day event.
- 2. June 7: World Food Safety Day
- 3. Release of PGI 2019-20 for states and UTs approved by Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
- 4. Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari appointed the next Vice Chief of Air Staff at the Air headquarters.
- 5. 24th BIMSTEC Day celebrated on 6 June.
- 6. FATF's regional body retained Pakistan on 'enhanced follow-up' list.
- 7. India slips two spots on achieving Sustainable Development Goals.
- 8. Sergio Perez wins Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
- 9. NMPB and CSIR-NBRI signed MoU for Cultivation and Production of Medicinal Plants.
- 10. Shiv Rajyabhishek Din being celebrated in Maharashtra.
- 11. David Diop wins International Booker Prize 2021.
- 12. Annual global energy investment to increase to USD 1.91 trillion in 2021.
Topic: National News
1. Report of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025 released by PM Modi during World Environment Day event.
- The report was prepared by NITI Aayog in collaboration with the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Dr. Rakesh Sarwal was chairman of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025. The Committee had five members.
- PM Modi also launched a Pilot Project of E 100 dispensing stations at three locations in Pune. E 100 means pure Ethanol.
- PM Modi addressed the World Environment Day event on 5th June 2021 via video conferencing.
- The event was jointly organized by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas and the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- ‘Promotion of biofuels for better environment’ was the theme for this year’s event.
- To commemorate World Environment Day, Government has released E-20 Notification and directed Oil Companies to sell ethanol blended petrol with percentage of ethanol up to 20% from 1st April 2023.
Topic: Important Days
2. June 7: World Food Safety Day
- World Food Safety Day is observed every year on 7 June.
- The day is celebrated to attract global attention to contribute to food security, human health, economic prosperity, agriculture market access, tourism and sustainable development and preventing food risks.
- The theme for World Food Safety Day 2021 is “Safe food today for a healthy tomorrow”.
- This year it is the third World Food Safety Day.
- In 2019, the first World Food Safety Day was celebrated under the theme “The Future of Food Safety”.
- In 2018, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed that every 7 June would be World Food Safety Day.
Topic: Reports and Indices
3. Release of PGI 2019-20 for states and UTs approved by Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
- The release of Performance Grading Index (PGI) 2019-20 for states and UTs has been approved by Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’.
- PGI for states and UTs was introduced by the government with 70 parameters. It was first published in 2019 with the reference year 2017-18.
- PGI 2019-20 for states and UTs is the third publication in the series of PGI. Findings of PGI 2019-20 are given below.
- Highest grade (Grade A++) for 2019-20 is obtained by Punjab, Chandigarh, Tamil Nadu, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Kerala.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Puducherry, Punjab and Tamil Nadu have improved overall PGI score by 10%, i.e., 100 or more points.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep and Punjab have shown improvement by 10% (8 points) or more in the PGI domain: Access.
- 13 States and UTs have shown improvement by 10% (15 points) or more in the PGI domain: Infrastructure and Facilities. Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Odisha have shown improvement by 20% or more.
- Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Odisha have shown more than 10% improvement in the PGI domain: Equity.
- 19 States and UTs have shown improvement by 10% (36 points) or more in the PGI domain: Governance Process.
4. Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari appointed the next Vice Chief of Air Staff at the Air headquarters.
- Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari (VR Chaudhari) has been appointed the next Vice Chief of Air Staff at the Air headquarters.
- Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari will replace Air Marshal HS Arora, who will superannuate on June 30.
- He was in charge of Western Air Command. Western Air Command is also known as the sword arm of the Indian Air Force.
- Air Marshal Ballabha Radha Krishna would be succeeding Chaudhari at the Western Command. Air Marshal Richard John Duckworth (RJ Duckworth) will take charge of the Central Air Command in Prayagraj.
- Indian Air Force currently has 5 operational and 2 functional commands. Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief with the rank of Air Marshal heads each command.
Name of the Command
Central Air Command
Air Marshal Richard John Duckworth
Eastern Air Command
Air Marshal Amit Dev
Southern Air Command
Air Marshal Manavendra Singh
South Western Air Command
Air Marshal Sandeep Singh
Western Air Command
Air Marshal Ballabha Radha Krishna
Air Marshal Rajiv Dayal Mathur
Air Marshal Shashiker Choudhary
Topic: International Days
5. 24th BIMSTEC Day celebrated on 6 June.
- All member countries of BIMSTEC celebrated the 24th anniversary of its formation on 6 June. It played a vital role in bridging the gap between South and South East Asia.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organization of seven nations of South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand are members of BIMSTEC. These countries are dependent on the Bay of Bengal.
- It was formed on 6 June 1997 and it is headquartered in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Sri Lanka is the current Chair of BIMSTEC. India is trying to make BIMSTEC a vibrant forum for regional cooperation.
- BIMSTEC region accounts for 22 percent of the global population and GDP of over $2.7 trillion.
Topic: International News
6. FATF's regional body retained Pakistan on 'enhanced follow-up' list.
- Financial Action Task Force's (FATF) regional body Asia Pacific Group (APG) has retained Pakistan on the "enhanced follow-up" list.
- Pakistan has moved from the enhanced to enhanced follow-up list. Pakistan’s rating has improved on 21 technical recommendations of the FATF.
- In June 2018, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) had included Pakistan in its grey list.
- Pakistan has failed to come out from the grey list since 2018. However, Pakistan has implemented 31 out of 40 FATF recommendations.
- Asia Pacific Group (APG) on Money Laundering:
- It is a regional body of FATF.
- It is an inter-governmental organization on Money laundering.
- It is responsible for implementing the international standards against money laundering, and terrorist financing.
Topic: Report and Indices
7. India slips two spots on achieving Sustainable Development Goals.
- India's rank slipped to 117th on achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Last year, India was on the 115th spot.
- India’s rank dropped due to poor performance in ending hunger and achieving food security, achieving gender equality, and building resilient infrastructure.
- The overall SDG score of India is 61.9 out of 100. In South Asian Countries, India’s rank is below than Bhutan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
- Among Indian states, Jharkhand and Bihar are least prepared to achieve the goal of SDG by 2030.
- According to India's Environment Report 2021, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, and Chandigarh have the best overall SDG score.
- India got 168th rank in Environmental Performance Index (EPI). It is an indicator how countries are protecting their citizens from environmental health risks.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- It was adopted by 193 United Nations countries in 2015.
- These are intended to be achieved by the year 2030.
- It is a blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all.
- It is based on 17 Goals.
8. Sergio Perez wins Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
- Red Bull driver Sergio Perez has won Azerbaijan formula one Grand Prix.
- Sebastian Vettel ended the race on the second position and Pierre Gasly of France ended the race on the third spot.
- Max Verstappen ran out of the race due to tyre puncture.
- The Azerbaijan Grand Prix is a Formula One motor racing event. It was organized at the Baku Formula One city circuit in Baku, Azerbaijan.
9. NMPB and CSIR-NBRI signed MoU for Cultivation and Production of Medicinal Plants.
- The National Medicinal Plant Board (NMPS) and the National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR-NBRI) have signed an MoU to boost the cultivation and production of medicinal plants and herbs in India.
- The MoU will help in establishing nurseries and seed bank for medicinal plants and herbs. It will also help in the development of Quality Planting Material (QPM) for medicinal plants and herbs.
- National Botanical Research Institute in collaboration with National Medicinal Plant Board will carry out survey of medicinal plants.
- NMPB will support CSIR-NBRI in finding the medicinal plant species with high commercial value.
- National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB):
- It coordinate all matters relating to Medicinal Plants and Policies and Programs for the growth of trade, export, conservation, and cultivation.
- It works under the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha & Homeopathy (AYUSH).
Topic: State News/Maharashtra
10. Shiv Rajyabhishek Din being celebrated in Maharashtra.
- In Maharashtra, Shiv Rajyabhishek Din is being celebrated to mark the coronation day of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Maharashtra Rural Development Department had asked the district, block and village Councils to celebrate this day as Shiv Swarajya din.
- The 348th Coronation Ceremony was celebrated at Raigad Fort. At Raigad Fort, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was crowned as the Chhatrapati of the Maratha Kingdom on June 6, 1674.
- Shivaji Bhonsale I:
- He is also known as Chhatrapati Shivaji.
- He was the founder of the Maratha kingdom of India.
- He was a great warrior and strategist of India.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
11. David Diop wins International Booker Prize 2021.
- David Diop has won International Booker Prize 2021 for his book titled as “At Night All Blood is Black”.
- Diop is the first French writer to win this prize. The book’s translator Anna Moschovakis has won half the £50,000 prize.
- Diop’s novel tells the story of two Senegalese soldiers fighting for France in World War I. The book was first published with the French title Frere d’ame in 2018.
- International Booker Prize:
- It was formerly known as the Man Booker International Prize.
- In June 2004, it was introduced to complement the Man Booker Prize.
- The prize is awarded for a book translated into English.
- Prize money is shared equally between author and translator.
Topic: Reports and Indices
12. Annual global energy investment to increase to USD 1.91 trillion in 2021.
- As per World Energy Investment 2021 released by International Energy Agency (IEA), annual global energy investment to increase by 10% to USD 1.91 trillion in 2021.
- As per report, renewables will dominate in new power generation. They will account for 70% of total $530 million that will be spent on new power generation capacity.
- According to the report, global energy demand will increase 4.6% year-on-year in 2021. However, carbon dioxide emission will not decrease.
- Global emissions are likely to grow by 1.5 billion tonnes this year. As per the report, investment in oil will grow 10%.
- As per the report, China is showing a tremendous expansion in coal-based power production.