- 1. India launched Mission Innovation CleanTech Exchange for clean energy innovation.
- 2. World Oceans Day: 8 June
- 3. NHPC limited formed a joint venture Company with JKSPDC.
- 4. Kerala government launches Knowledge Economy Mission.
- 5. India elected as a member to UN Economic and Social Council.
- 6. Abdulla Shahid elected as President of 76th Session of UN General Assembly.
- 7. Indian Navy inducted three ALH MK III advanced light helicopters.
- 8. CBSE collaborated with Microsoft to add Coding and Data Science to curriculum.
- 9. Ministry of Panchayati Raj releases a Model Citizens Charter for panchayat.
- 10. DBT-NII receives Trademark for India's first indigenous tumour antigen SPAG9.
- 11. BAFTA TV Awards 2021 winners announced.
Topic: International News
1. India launched Mission Innovation CleanTech Exchange for clean energy innovation.
- India has launched the Mission Innovation CleanTech Exchange for promoting innovation in the field of clean energy.
- Mission Innovation CleanTech Exchange is a global initiative for creating a network of incubators. It has been launched at Net Zero Summit.
- It will provide expertise and market insights for the development of new technology in the area of clean energy. It will also attract investment in clean energy fuel.
- India had launched the global Mission Innovation initiative at the 2015 UN climate conference. Mission Innovation 2.0 is the second phase of the global Mission Innovation initiative.
- Mission Innovation 2.0 will help in making clean energy affordable, attractive, and accessible for all. 22 countries and the European Commission are part of this initiative.
- The main objective of this initiative is to help countries in achieving the goal of the Paris Agreement of limiting global warming.
- Since 2015, Global Mission Innovation initiative members have invested a cumulative total of $18 billion in clean energy innovative solutions.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Oceans Day: 8 June
- On 8 June, every year World Oceans Day is observed. It is observed to spread awareness about the importance of Ocean in ecology.
- In 2008, the United Nations (UN) declared 8 June as World Oceans Day. The idea of World Oceans Day was first proposed at the Earth Summit in 1992.
- It informs people and the government about the impact of economic activities and human actions on the ocean.
- The theme for World Oceans Day 2021 is 'The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods'.
- International Marine Organization was formed in 1973 to address the issues related to pollution from ships, garbage in Ocean, and air pollution from ships.
- Around two-thirds of earth is covered by Ocean but only one percent of the ocean is legally protected.
Topic: National News
3. NHPC limited formed a joint venture Company with JKSPDC.
- NHPC Limited has formed a joint venture Company with Jammu & Kashmir State Power Development Corporation Ltd (JKSPDC).
- Ratle Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited has been formed for the implementation of 850 MW Ratle Hydroelectric Project.
- Ratle Hydroelectric Project (850 MW) is a Run of River Scheme located on River Chenab, Kishtwar district, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is formed by the union of two headwaters, Chandra and Bhaga. They originate in the upper Himalayas in Lahul and Spiti district, Himachal Pradesh.
- It is the largest tributary of the Indus. It is also called Chandrabhaga. Important dams on Chenab River are Salal Dam, Dul Hasti Hydroelectric Plant, Pakal Dul Dam.
Topic: State News/Kerala
4. Kerala government launches Knowledge Economy Mission.
- Kerala government has launched Knowledge Economy Mission to bring its efforts to help knowledge workers under single programme.
- Finance Minister of Kerala announced the Knowledge Economy Mission in the state budget on 04 June.
- Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council is leading the project. It will submit project report before July 15.
- During the Kerala budget, it was also announced that government would set up a high-power commission to examine the education system and suggest steps to rebuild education sector.
- Government has also increased allocation for knowledge economy fund from Rs 200 to Rs 300 crore.
Topic: International News
5. India elected as a member to UN Economic and Social Council.
- India has been elected a member of the UN Economic and Social Council for the term 2022-24. Economic and Social Council is one of the six main organs of the United Nations.
- India is elected in the Asia-Pacific States category along with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, and Oman.
- In the African states, Côte d'Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia, and the United Republic of Tanzania were elected.
- Croatia and the Czech Republic are elected from European countries while Belize, Chile, and Peru were elected from Latin American countries.
- ECOSOC's members are elected for a term of three years. Seats of the council are allotted based on geographical representation.
- Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC):
- It was established by the UN Charter in 1945.
- It consists of 54 Members of the United Nations.
- It is responsible for identifying solutions for economic, social, and health problems.
6. Abdulla Shahid elected as President of 76th Session of UN General Assembly.
- The Maldives’ Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid has been elected as the new President of the UN General Assembly.
- He received 143 votes in the 193-member General Assembly. He will preside the 76th Session of the UN General Assembly.
- Every year President of the UN General Assembly is elected among various regional groupings on the rotational basis.
- The President of the 76th Session of the General Assembly was to be elected from the Group of Asia-Pacific States.
- For the first time, Maldives is holding the office of the President of the UNGA.
7. Indian Navy inducted three ALH MK III advanced light helicopters.
- The Indian Navy inducted three indigenously-built advanced light helicopters ALH MK-III in their fleet. It will be used for maritime reconnaissance and coastal security.
- These helicopters are built by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited at the Indian Naval Station (INS) Dega in Visakhapatnam.
- These helicopters are equipped with modern surveillance radar and electro-optical equipment. It enables them in doing search and rescue operations even at the night.
- It is also fitted with a removable medical intensive care unit (ICU) to airlift critically ill patients. It can also undertake constabulary missions.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. CBSE collaborated with Microsoft to add Coding and Data Science to curriculum.
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has collaborated with Microsoft to add Coding and Data Science to the curriculum.
- Coding will be added to the curriculum of Classes 6 to 8 and the Data Science will be added to the curriculum of Class 8 to 12.
- Under the New Education Policy 2020, these courses will help in imparting next-generation skills to students.
- Microsoft has developed supplementary handbooks on coding and data science on the NCERT pattern.
- An open-source platform, Microsoft MakeCode, will also help students in learning other subjects including mathematics, languages, and social sciences.
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE):
- It is a national-level board of education in India for public and private schools.
- It works under the Ministry of Education.
- Manoj Ahuja is the current chairman of CBSE.
Topic: National News
9. Ministry of Panchayati Raj releases a Model Citizens Charter for panchayat.
- A Model Panchayat Citizens Charter/ framework has been released by Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister of Panchayati Raj.
- It is prepared by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj (MoPR) in collaboration with the National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR).
- The charter will ensure the transparent and effective delivery of public services in 29 sectors. It will provide services for sustainable development.
- The main objective of this Citizen charter is to provide services to the people in a time-bound manner, redressing their grievances and improving their lives.
- Panchayats have played a critical role in grassroot development. Panchayats will draw up a Citizens Charter with help of this framework by 15th August 2021.
- Panchayats are the third tier of the government in rural areas and it is responsible for the delivery of basic services to about 60 percent of the population.
- 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act provides constitutional status to Panchayats.
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
10. DBT-NII receives Trademark for India's first indigenous tumour antigen SPAG9.
- The SPAG9 antigen developed by the National Institute of Immunology (NII) has received the ASPAGNIITM trademark.
- The SPAG9 tumour antigen was discovered by Dr. Anil Suri in 1998. It is India’s first indigenous tumour antigen.
- At present, ASPAGNIITM is used in the treatment of cervical and ovarian cancer but now it will be also used in breast cancer.
- Every year around 8.5 lakh people die in India from Cancer. According to WHO, one in every 15 Indians will die from cancer.
- Over the past two decades, the New Delhi-based National Institute of Immunology (NII) and clinicians at the Cancer Institute, Chennai were trying for discovering new treatments against cancer by using immunotherapy.
- Immunotherapy uses the body’s inner capability to fight against cancer. It boosts the imunity system or trained T-cells against cancer cells.
- National Institute of Immunology (NII):
- It is an autonomous research institute located in New Delhi.
- It works under the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) for research in immunology.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
11. BAFTA TV Awards 2021 winners announced.
- The winners of the BAFTA TV Awards 2021 were announced on June 6.
- British Academy Television Awards are presented annually to recognize the outstanding work in British Television. It is being given annually since 1955.
- It is mainly given to British programs.
- Winners of BAFTA TV Awards 2021 are:
Best Comedy Series
Inside No. 9
Save Me Too
Best Comedy Performance
Charlie Cooper and Aimee Lou Wood
I May Destroy You