- 1. World Environment Day: 5 June
- 2. Blue-finned Mahseer moved out from endangered species category of IUCN red list.
- 3. Anerood Jugnauth, former Prime Minister of Mauritius, passes away.
- 4. Indus Best Mega Food Park at Raipur, Chhattisgarh virtually inaugurated by Shri Narendra Singh Tomar.
- 5. Kerala government announces second Covid package of Rs 20,000 crore.
- 6. Dr Vinay K Nandicoori appointed as new director of CSIR-CCMB, Hyderabad.
- 7. Ladakh Lt Governor R K Mathur launches YounTab scheme.
- 8. Famous Telugu story writer Kalipatnam Ramarao passed away at 97.
- 9. IIT Hyderabad developed nano-fibre technology based Amphotericin B oral tablets.
- 10. Indian men’s hockey team remains at 4th position in latest FIH world rankings.
Topic: Important Days
1. World Environment Day: 5 June
- Every year World Environment Day is celebrated on 5 June to highlight the significance of nature.
- The theme for World Environment Day 2021 is "Ecosystem Restoration".
- It will be hosted by Pakistan.
- It is one of the biggest events of the United Nations to generate awareness about the importance of protecting environment.
- The day aims to bring attention of the government and Non-government organizations towards environmental issues like marine pollution, global warming, and wildlife crime.
- In 1972, United Nations had adopted 5 June as World Environment Day at Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. It was first celebrated in 1974.
- The United Nations General Assembly has declared 2021 – 2030 the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- SDG Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Topic: Environment and Ecology
2. Blue-finned Mahseer moved out from endangered species category of IUCN red list.
- The Blue-Finned Mahseer has now moved to the least concern category of the IUCN red list.
- Earlier, it was on the endangered species category of the IUCN red list.
- Tata power has created an artificial lake at Walvan Hatchery in Lonavala for the breeding of Mahseer.
- However, the Golden Mahseer is still listed as endangered on IUCN Red List.
IUCN Red List
Topic: Personality in News
3. Anerood Jugnauth, former Prime Minister of Mauritius, passes away.
- Anerood Jugnauth, former Prime Minister of Mauritius, passed away recently on 3 June.
- President of Mauritius, Prithvirajsing Roopun announced the death of Anerood Jugnauth.
- He served both as President and Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- He served four consecutive terms as Prime Minister of Mauritius. He is longest-serving Prime Minister of Mauritius.
- He resigned in 2017. His son Pravind is currently serving as Prime Minister.
Topic: National News
4. Indus Best Mega Food Park at Raipur, Chhattisgarh virtually inaugurated by Shri Narendra Singh Tomar.
- Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Shri Narendra Singh Tomar virtually inaugurated the Indus Best Mega Food Park at Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
- The park will provide direct and indirect employment to about 5,000 persons and benefit about 25,000 farmers.
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries has approved Mega Food Park at Raipur district in Chhattisgarh. This is being implemented by Indus Best Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd.
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries is implementing the Mega Food Park Scheme in the country.
- Under the Scheme, the Government of India provides financial assistance up to Rs 50.00 Crore per Mega Food Park project.
- Mega Food Park:
- It is a scheme of Ministry of Food Processing which aims to link agricultural production to the market through cluster based approach.
- Mega Food Park Project is implemented by a SPV, a corporate body registered under the Companies Act.
- As of now, 22 Mega Food Parks are operational all over India. 15 are under implementation. In Principle approval has been granted for four parks.
Topic: State News/ Kerala
5. Kerala government announces second Covid package of Rs 20,000 crore.
- As part of the budget, Kerala government has announced second Covid package of Rs 20,000 crore and kept aside Rs 1,000 crore to provide free vaccination for all aged above 18 years.
- Out of Rs 20,000 crore, Rs 2,800 crore will be spent to tackle health emergency situations.
- In the Kerala budget, allocation of ‘knowledge economy fund’ had been increased from Rs 200 crore to Rs 300 crore. Knowledge economy fund is meant for strengthening of higher education.
- Other major allocations in the Kerala budget are provided in the table given below.
Rs 5,300 crore
Coastal protection and coastal infrastructure
Rs 2,000 crore
Loans for agriculture sector
Rs 1,000 crore
Loans for Kudumbashree neighbourhood groups
Rs 1,000 crore
For providing vaccines free of cost
6. Dr Vinay K Nandicoori appointed as new director of CSIR-CCMB, Hyderabad.
- Well-known molecular biologist, Dr Vinay K Nandicoori has been appointed as new director of CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, Telangana.
- He will replace Dr Rakesh K Mishra as CCMB’s Director. He has worked as a scientist at DBT-National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi.
- His research interest includes molecular signaling networks in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the microorganism that causes tuberculosis (TB).
- Dr. Rakesh K Mishra is now Director at the Tata Institute of Genetics and Society. He will remain as CCMB’s Advisor.
- Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB):
- It is an Indian Biotechnology Research Establishment.
- It is located in Hyderabad.
- It operates under the aegis of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. Ladakh Lt Governor R K Mathur launches YounTab scheme.
- R K Mathur, Lt Governor of Ladakh, has launched a scheme- YounTab- for students to encourage digital learning.
- The scheme is an initiative of the Department of School Education with technical support from the IT Department.
- During the first phase of the scheme, tablets were given to students of 9th to 12th classes. These tablets contain pre-loaded online and offline content- textbooks, video lectures, etc.
- The scheme will bridge the digital divide between connected and unconnected.
- Students from class 6th to 12th will benefit from this scheme.
- The Lt Governor also said that 91 new ICT labs would be set up to develop scientific temperament among the students.
- He also announced the financial assistance to students of 10th and 12th class preparing for exams like NEET, JEE, UG CLAT via coaching. Under the Rewa Scheme, students would be reimbursed coaching fee up to Rs. 1 lakh.
Topic: Personality in News
8. Famous Telugu story writer Kalipatnam Ramarao passed away at 97.
- Kalipatnam Ramarao, a Telugu story writer and poet, passed away at the age of 97.
- He was popularly known as Kara Mastaru.
- He founded the Kathanilayam in Srikakulam, a unique library for Telugu stories.
- He was awarded the Kendriya Sahitya Academy Award for ‘Yagnam’ that is related to social reforms.
Topic: New Developments
9. IIT Hyderabad developed nano-fibre technology based Amphotericin B oral tablets.
- IIT Hyderabad has developed nano-fibre based oral tablets of Amphotericin B, also called AmB.
- Amphotericin B is used to treat fungal infections post COVID-19 treatment.
- Currently, Amphotericin B is available in injectable form.
- Researchers will transfer the technology for mass production of the drug.
- The oral tablets are cheaper.
- Amphotericin B is an antifungal medicine used to treat serious fungal infections and leishmaniasis.
(Source: News on AIR)
10. Indian men’s hockey team remains at 4th position in latest FIH world rankings.
- In the latest International Hockey Federation world rankings, the Indian men’s team remained at the fourth position.
- Indian women’s hockey team has maintained the ninth position in the FIH world rankings.
- Women’s FIH ranking is topped by the Netherlands followed by Argentina. Australia is in the third position, followed by Germany and Great Britain.
Men’s FIH World Ranking
- It is a game in which two teams play against each other and chase a ball to hit it into the opponent’s goal using a hockey stick.
- Each team has 11 players.
- Hockey is a national sport of India and Pakistan.
- Cups and Trophies related to Hockey:
- Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- Rangaswami Cup
- Murugappa Gold Cup
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Gold Cup
- Beighton Cup
(Source: News on AIR)