- 1. International Day of Innocent Child Victims of Aggression: 4 June
- 2. ADB and India signed an agreement for road upgradation project in Sikkim.
- 3. Expert group on fixation of minimum wages and national floor wages set up by government.
- 4. WhatsApp names Paresh B Lal as its grievance officer for India.
- 5. Government launched SAGE (Senior care Ageing Growth Engine) initiative and SAGE portal for elderly people.
- 6. Agriculture Ministry launched a dedicated window on Government e-Marketplace (GeM) portal for Bamboo products.
- 7. INS Sandhayak decommissioned on 04 June 2021.
- 8. Goa constituted “Goa Institution for Future Transformation (GIFT)” Think Tank.
- 9. Government announce Operational Guidelines for PLI Scheme for telecom & Networking equipment.
- 10. New workstream launched by India and UK Government to promote industrial energy efficiency at 12th Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM).
- 11. China successfully launches Fengyun-4B (FY-4B) satellite.
- 12. Acquisition of Avana, TFPL and Transworld Feeders FZCO by Unifeeder ISC FZCO approved by CCI.
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Important Days
1. International Day of Innocent Child Victims of Aggression: 4 June
- Every year International Day of Innocent Child Victims of Aggression is observed on 4 June.
- The main purpose of celebrating this day is to spread awareness about the pain and suffering faced by the victim children.
- On August 19, 1982, the UN General Assembly declared that June 4th would be observed as the International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression.
- This day is dedicated to bring attention towards the physical, mental and emotional abuse of children.
- This affirms the UN's commitment towards protecting the right of children.
- SDG Target 16.2: End abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence against and torture of children
2. ADB and India signed an agreement for road upgradation project in Sikkim.
- The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed an agreement for financing road upgradation project in Sikkim.
- ADB will give a $2.5 million project readiness financing (PRF) loan to support projects related to upgradation of major district roads in Sikkim.
- It will improve the connectivity and also boost the economic activities in the state.
- The project readiness financing (PRF) will help in connecting the major district and other roads with the national and state highway network.
- In 2011, ADB-funded North Eastern State Roads Investment Program was launched to improve road connectivity in Sikkim.
- The state agencies will prepare detailed engineering designs of selected sub-projects and do feasibility studies.
- Sikkim’s road network requires regular upgradation due to frequent landslides and erosion.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- It is a regional development bank established in 1966.
- Members: 68 countries (49 members are from Asia pacific region)
- It is headquartered in Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- Masatsugu Asakawa is the current president of ADB.
Topic: Committees/ Commissions/Taskforces
3. Expert group on fixation of minimum wages and national floor wages set up by government.
- Director of Institute of Economic Growth Professor Ajit Mishra will chair the Expert Group.
- Prof Tarika Chakraborty, Dr Anushree Sinha, Ms Vibha Bhalla and Dr H. Srinivas are members of the Expert Group.
- Expert group will have a term of three years. It will provide technical inputs and recommendations.
- To arrive at the wage rates, the group will look into the international best practices on the wages and evolve a scientific criteria and methodology for wage fixation.
- Institute of Economic Growth:
- It is an autonomous body and civil service training institute.
- It was founded in 1952 by renowned economist K. R. V. Rao. It is located in New Delhi.
- Ajit Mishra is its director and Tarun Das is its chairman.
4. WhatsApp names Paresh B Lal as its grievance officer for India.
- WhatsApp has named Paresh B Lal as its grievance officer for India.
- WhatsApp said that users can now contact Paresh B Lal through a post box in Banjara Hills in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- India’s new IT rules have come into effect last week. They were announced on 25 February 2021.
- As per the rules, significant social media intermediaries should appoint a grievance officer, nodal officer and a chief compliance officer.
- They should be resident in India. As per rules, significant social media intermediaries are social media companies having over 50 lakh users.
- WhatsApp was released in January 2009. It was acquired by Facebook in February 2014. It was originally programmed by Brian Acton and Jan Koum.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
5. Government launched SAGE (Senior care Ageing Growth Engine) initiative and SAGE portal for elderly people.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launched the SAGE (Senior care Ageing Growth Engine) initiative and SAGE portal for the elderly population.
- Under the senior care Ageing Growth Engine project, credible startups will provide products and services for the elderly population. Startups can apply for SAGE projects through SAGE portal.
- The startups will be selected on the basis of their innovative products and services. These startups will provide products and services in the health, housing, care centers sectors.
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment will act as a facilitator for accessing products.
- The SAGE project was launched on the recommendation of an expert committee report on start-ups for elderly.
- According to the Census 2011, there are nearly 104 million elderly persons in India. The percentage of elderly population will increase to 12.5% by 2026.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
6. Agriculture Ministry launched a dedicated window on Government e-Marketplace (GeM) portal for Bamboo products.
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture Parshottam Rupala has launched a Bamboo Market Page on Govt e-Marketplace (GeM) portal. It has been launched for the marketing of bamboo products.
- The dedicated window has been named “The Green Gold Collection”. It was launched on 3rd June 2021.
- The “Green Gold Collection” dedicated window is created by the efforts of the National Bamboo Mission and GeM. It will provide an electronic platform for small manufacturers and sellers.
- People can buy bamboo products from trusted buyers through this dedicated window on Government e-Marketplace (GeM) portal.
- It will be very useful for bamboo entrepreneurs and create a market for bamboo products.
- In 2017, the government has amended Indian Forest Act 1927 and removed bamboo from the category of trees.
- The restructured National Bamboo Mission was launched in 2018-2019. In June 2020, the government had increased customs duty on bamboo imports to promote the domestic bamboo industry.
7. INS Sandhayak decommissioned on 04 June 2021.
- First of its class indigenously designed and built Hydrographic Survey Ship, INS Sandhayak has been decommissioned. It has served 40 years in the Indian Navy.
- The decommissioning ceremony of INS Sandhayak took place at the Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam.
- It was constructed at GRSE Kolkata in 1978 and commissioned to the Indian Navy on 26 Feb 1981.
- It was conceptualized by then Chief Hydrographer, Rear Adm FL Fraser.
- From the time of its commissioning, it has played a vital role in laying the foundation of complete hydrographic coverage of the peninsular waters.
- During its service, it has helped in conducting more than 200 major Hydrographic Surveys and numerous minor surveys.
- It participated in different operations including Op Pawan, Op Rainbow, Op Sarong, etc.
Topic: State News/ Goa
8. Goa constituted “Goa Institution for Future Transformation (GIFT)” Think Tank.
- The Goa state government constituted a think tank on the lines of NITI Ayog. It has been named “Goa Institution for Future Transformation (GIFT)”.
- It will assist and guide the government in policymaking. It will also help in the monitoring of projects related to sustainable development goals.
- It will evaluate various development plans, programmes, and schemes of the state government.
- Chief Minister of Goa shall be the Chairman of “Goa Institution for Future Transformation (GIFT)”. It has got autonomy under Article 309 of the Constitution.
- After disbanding of Planning Commission at the national level, the Goa government has disbanded the State Planning Board in 2017.
- Goa is a state in western India, and its coastline stretches along the Arabian Sea.
- The Chief Minister of Goa is Pramod Sawant and Governor is Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- The capital of Goa is Panaji.
- Goa was conferred statehood on 30 May 1987.
- The state bird of Goa is Flame Throated Bulbul, State Animal Gaur and State Tree Matti.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. Government announce Operational Guidelines for PLI Scheme for telecom & Networking equipment.
- Recently, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has announced Operational Guidelines for PLI Scheme for telecom & Networking equipment.
- The government has launched the “Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme” for telecom & Networking products on 24th February 2021.
- The “Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme will be implemented over a period of 5 years with an estimated cost of ₹ 12,195 Crores. It is applicable for MSME and Non-MSME Companies.
- The Department of Telecommunications will give a grant to ten eligible applicants each in MSME & non-MSME categories.
- The main objective of this scheme is to boost the manufacturing and export of telecom and networking products.
- This scheme will attract an investment of around ₹ 3,000 crores and generate employment in the telecom sector.
- Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme:
- The central government launched the PLI Scheme for the manufacturing of large-scale electronics, in April 2020. In November 2020, the PLI scheme was extended to 10 other sectors.
- It has been launched for Enhancing India’s Manufacturing Capabilities and Exports in 10 key sectors.
- It will also help in cutting down the import of products.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
10. New workstream launched by India and UK Government to promote industrial energy efficiency at 12th Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM).
- India along with Govt. of United Kingdom launched a new workstream.
- The workstream has been launched under Clean Energy Ministerial’s (CEM) – Industrial Deep Decarbonization Initiative (IDDI), co-ordinated by UNIDO.
- 12th Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) is ongoing from May 31st till 6th June 2021. It is being organized by Chile in virtual mode.
- India will host CEM in 2023.
- Germany and Canada have supported Industrial Deep Decarbonization Initiative (IDDI). More countries are expected to join it soon. IDDI is being co-led by India and UK.
- IDDI’s objective is to infuse green technologies and stimulate demand for low-carbon industrial materials.
- Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) is a high-level global forum. India is a member of CEM.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO):
- It is a specialized agency of United Nations. It is headquartered in Vienna, Austria.
- It was founded in 1966. Li Yong is its head (Director General).
- It assists countries in economic and industrial development.
Topic: IT and Space
11. China successfully launches Fengyun-4B (FY-4B) satellite.
- China successfully launched Fengyun-4B (FY-4B), which is the first new generation meteorological satellite.
- Fengyun-4B (FY-4B) was launched by a Long March-3B rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in Sichuan Province.
- It will be used for weather analysis and forecasting, and environmental and disaster monitoring.
- Asia, the central Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean regions are covered under its observation range.
- The satellite’s rapid imager can improve measurement resolution to 250 meters from the geostationary orbit and can accelerate scan imaging of the Earth.
12. Acquisition of Avana, TFPL and Transworld Feeders FZCO by Unifeeder ISC FZCO approved by CCI.
- Acquisition of Avana, TFPL and Transworld Feeders FZCO by Unifeeder ISC FZCO (Unifeeder) has been approved by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- Under the proposed acquisition, Unifeeder will acquire a stake in AvanaLogistek Limited (Avana), Transworld Feeders Private Limited (TFPL) and Transworld Feeders FZCO.
- Unifeeder forms part of DPW group in India. It is present in India through its subsidiaries Feedertech Pte. Limited (Feedertech) and Perma Shipping Line Pte. Limited.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI):
- CCI was formed on 14 October 2003 under the Competition Commission Act, 2002.
- It has a chairperson and six members. It is a quasi-judicial and statutory body.
- Current Chairperson: Ashok Kumar Gupta