Daily Current Affairs and GK | 17 December 2020
- 1. 12th GRIHA Summit held from 15-16 December 2020.
- 2. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Sujeet’ commissioned at Goa.
- 3. Chilahati-Haldibari rail link will be reopened by India and Bangladesh.
- 4. ISRO launches communication satellite CMS-01 (earlier named as GSAT-12R).
- 5. Government of India and World Bank have signed a pact to protect poor from COVID-19.
- 6. ‘Kisan Kalyan Mission’ launched by UP government for doubling of farmer’s income.
- 7. World’s highest rail bridge in Jammu and Kashmir to be completed by 2021.
- 8. SAIL bags Golden Peacock Environment Management Award.
- 9. AIFF bid for the hosting of AFC Asian Cup 2027.
- 10. PM Modi has been invited to attend G-7 summit next year.
- 11. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) decides to transfer 3,500 crore rupees export subsidy on sugar to farmers.
YOGA Day OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code YOGA
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
1. 12th GRIHA Summit held from 15-16 December 2020.
- The 12th edition of GRIHA has been inaugurated by the Vice President. It was organized from 15-16 December 2020.
- Vice President has launched the SHASHWAT magazine and the book ‘30 Stories Beyond Buildings’ on the inaugural session of the event.
- The theme of the 12th GRIHA Summit is ‘Rejuvenating Resilient Habitats’.
- The main objective of this summit is to bring all stakeholders on a single platform for the development of green and sustainable habitats across the country.
- Government Initiatives for sustainable construction technology:
- The government had organized Global Housing Technology Challenge India in 2019 to identify the best available construction technology.
- Government has selected six innovative construction technology for constructing six lighthouse projects.
- Under the ‘ASHA’ initiative, the government has established an incubation center for the research and development in construction material and technology.
- GRIHA has launched an upgraded version of the GRIHA Council’s rating system.
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA):
- It is developed by TERI and it was adopted as a national rating system for green building across the country.
- It helps in assessing the performance of a building against certain nationally acceptable benchmarks.
(Source: GRIHA India)
2. Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Sujeet’ commissioned at Goa.
- The indigenously built Coast Guard ship ‘Sujeet’ has been commissioned at Goa.
- It is second in the series of five Offshore Patrol Vessel to be built by Goa Shipyard Limited.
- It will help in enhancing the operational capability of the Indian Coast Guard.
- It is equipped with a power management system, high power external fire-fighting system, platform management system, navigation and communication equipment, and sensors.
- It will be specifically deployed at exclusive economic zones.
- Indian Coast Guard:
- It is an armed force, maritime, search and rescue, and law enforcement agency.
- It works under the Ministry of Defense.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It was established on 18 August 1978.
Topic: International News
3. Chilahati-Haldibari rail link will be reopened by India and Bangladesh.
- Chilahati-Haldibari rail link will be reopened by India and Bangladesh after nearly 55 years.
- The rail link was part of the Broad Gauge main route from Kolkata to Siliguri. It was stopped at the time of 1965 India-Pakistan war.
- It will be inaugurated today at the time of virtual summit of the Prime Ministers of India and Bangladesh.
- Six rail links were operational between India and Bangladesh before 1965 India- Pakistan war.
- Out of the six, four has been reopened. They are Petrapole-Benapole, Gede-Darshana, Singhabad-Rohanpur and Radhikapur-Birol. Chilahati-Haldibari is fifth rail link to be reopened.
- It will connect Assam and West Bengal with Bangladesh. Currently, it will make the process of moving cargo between two countries easier. The movement of passengers will be started later.
- Haldibari is located in West Bengal. Chilahati is located in Bangladesh.
- It is located in the east of India on the Bay of Bengal.
- Its capital is Dhaka, and the currency is Bangladeshi Taka.
- Prime Minister: Shiekh Hasina
(Source News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
4. ISRO launches communication satellite CMS-01 (earlier named as GSAT-12R).
- ISRO launches communication satellite CMS-01 (earlier named as GSAT-12R) by using PSLV-C50.
- The satellite will be launched by ISRO into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- 25-hour countdown for the launch started yesterday. The launch will be 52nd flight of PSLV and 22nd flight of PSLV-XL variant. It will be 77th launch mission from SDSC.
- PSLV-C50 will use an XL variant of PSLV equipped with six strap-on motors. Communication satellites are generally heavier.
- CMS-01 will provide services in the Extended-C Band of the frequency spectrum. It is 42nd communication satellite of India.
- Its mission life will be about seven years. It will cover Andaman&Nicobar, Lakshadweep, and the Indian mainland.
(Source: News on AIR)
5. Government of India and World Bank have signed a pact to protect poor from COVID-19.
- India has signed a pact with the World Bank worth $400 million to protect the poor and vulnerable from the impact of COVID-19.
- It will be the second series in the programme of providing social protection to the poor and vulnerable from the impact of COVID-19. A 750 million dollar financial assistance had already been approved in May 2020.
- It will help government programmes in providing food and cash support to the poor, unorganized workers, migrants, etc.
- This programme was prepared by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and others.
- World Bank:
- It is one of the world’s largest finance providers aiming to end extreme poverty and promote shared growth.
- International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and International Development Association (IDA) together make up the World Bank.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C.
- Members: 189 countries
- President: David Malpass
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
6. ‘Kisan Kalyan Mission’ launched by UP government for doubling of farmer’s income.
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched the ‘Kisan Kalyan Mission’ for doubling the income of farmers.
- Under it, many programs will be organized by the state government, including exhibitions related to agriculture sectors, MSME products, and livelihood missions.
- The farmer’s meeting will be organized to provide information to farmers about government schemes related to the agriculture sector. Scientist and Agriculture department workers will also explain the benefits of scientific farming to farmers.
- The central government has set a target of doubling farmers’ income by the year 2022. The schemes launched by the government for doubling farmer’s income are:
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi: It provides financial assistance of Rs 6000 per year to farmers.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan MaanDhan Yojana: It provides an old-age pension of Rs 3000 to farmers.
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana: It provides crop insurance with a minimum premium from farmers.
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana: It is launched to promote organic farming across the country.
- Uttar Pradesh:
- It is the most populous state in India and ranks 4th in terms of area.
- The Chief Minister of the state is Yogi Adityanath and Governor is Anandiben Patel.
- Deputy CMs: Dinesh Sharma and Keshav Prasad Maurya
- The capital of the state is Lucknow.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
7. World’s highest rail bridge in Jammu and Kashmir to be completed by 2021.
- The world’s highest rail bridge over the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir is likely to be completed by 2021.
- This 1315 meter long Rail Bridge will connect Kashmir valley to the rest of India by 2022. It will connect Baramulla to Jammu.
- Chenab Rail Bridge:
- It is being built at a height of 359 meters. It will be 30 meters higher than the Eiffel Tower of France.
- It has been designed by firms from Finland and Germany.
- It has been executed by the Konkan Railway.
- It is the seventh-largest arch-shaped bridge in the world.
- It can withstand wind speed up to 266kmph and has a lifespan of 120 years.
- Chenab River:
- It originates from the Lahaul- Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh and flows through Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, and Pakistan.
- It is formed by the confluence of rivers Chandra and Bhaga at Tandi.
- The ancient name of Chenab is Asikini.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. SAIL bags Golden Peacock Environment Management Award.
- The Steel Authority of India Limited has won the Golden Peacock Award 2020 in the steel sector. SAIL has consecutively won this award for the last two years.
- ONGC has won the Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2020 for robust Quality Management.
- Golden Peacock Awards:
- It was instituted by the Institute of Directors (IOD) in 1991.
- It is given to corporates for Leadership and Institutional Excellence.
- It encourages the organizations to improve their performance, to get recognition at a global level.
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL):
- It is the largest steel producing company in India.
- It is a Maharatna Public Sector Undertaking under the Ministry of Steel.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi.
- Its current Chairman is Anil Kumar Chaudhary.
(Source: ONGC INDIA)
9. AIFF bid for the hosting of AFC Asian Cup 2027.
- All India Football Federation has announced its candidature to host the 2027 AFC Asian Cup.
- India had hosted the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2017 and it will also host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup and the AFC Women’s Asian Cup in 2022.
- AIFF has launched a logo for its candidature campaign. The logo represents the ambition, commitment, focus and spirit of the bid. It has also launched the slogan “Brighter Future Together” to represent its bid.
- India currently ranks in the 104th position in the FIFA ranking.
- AFC Asian Cup:
- It is an international football tournament organized by the Asian Football Federation.
- It is the second oldest football championship in the world.
- Qatar had won the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
- The 2023 AFC Asian Cup will be hosted by China.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF):
- It is the governing body of football in India.
- It was founded on 23 June 1937.
- Its headquarters is located in Delhi.
- Current President: Praful Patel
(Source: DD News)
Topic: National News
10. PM Modi has been invited to attend G-7 summit next year.
- PM Modi has been invited by British PM Boris Johnson to attend G-7 summit next year.
- UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab handed over the invitation letter sent by the British PM to PM Modi.
- UK will host the 47th G-7 summit in 2021. India is one of the three guest nations invited to the G-7 summit. The other two nations are Australia and South Korea.
- As per the reports, G-7 will be expanded, will include 10 democracies and named as D10.
- G-7 Group:
- It is an intergovernmental organization that was founded in 1975.
- Its members include France, Italy, Canada, Japan, Germany, USA and UK.
- The United States is the chairman of this group for the year 2020.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: National News
11. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) decides to transfer 3,500 crore rupees export subsidy on sugar to farmers.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has decided to transfer 3,500 crore rupees export subsidy on sugar to farmers.
- The subsidy will be directly transferred to the bank accounts of the sugarcane farmers. Cabinet has approved the auction of spectrum in seven frequency bands for the validity period of 20 years.
- CCEA has also given approval to the revised cost estimate of the North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project (NERPSIP) for six States.
- This is for making Intra-State Transmission and Distribution Systems strong in these states. The names of states are Meghalaya, Mizoram, Manipur, Nagaland, Tripura and Assam.
- NERPSIP was approved in 2016. It will continue till 2023. POWERGRID Corporation Limited is the implementing agency for NERPSIP.
- Sugar industry:
- It is India’s second most important agro-based industry.
- India is the largest sugarcane and cane sugar producer in the world.
- Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh are the first and second-largest sugar producer states.