- 1. World Metrology Day: 20 May
- 2. West Bengal government approved setting up of Legislative Council.
- 3. Indian Handicrafts and Gift Fair inaugurated in New Delhi.
- 4. China successfully launched ocean observation satellite Haiyang-2D.
- 5. Six- Month CBID Programme on Rehabilitation of Divyangjan launched by government.
- 6. K Rajanarayanan, renowned Tamil writer and novelist popularly known as Ki Ra, passed away at the age of 98.
- 7. Former NSG chief J K Dutt passed away.
- 8. Government changes Custom duty rule to boost trade facilitation.
- 9. GI certified Gholvad Sapota (chikoo) exported to United Kingdom.
- 10. Jharkhand clinched first position in implementing Smart City Mission schemes.
- 11. Martha Koome is appointed as first woman Chief Justice of Kenya.
Topic: Important Days
1. World Metrology Day: 20 May
- Every year World Metrology Day is celebrated on 20 May.
- On 20 May 1875, the representatives of seventeen nations had signed the Metre Convention.
- The Metre Convention has set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement.
- The World Metrology Day is celebrated jointly by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and the International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
- The theme for World Metrology Day 2021 is ‘Measurement for Health’. The theme has been chosen to highlight the important role of measurement in health.
- Metrology is the branch of science related to measurement.
Topic: Indian Polity
2. West Bengal government approved setting up of Legislative Council.
- The West Bengal cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, has approved the formation of the Legislative Council.
- At present, only Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Maharashtra, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh have Legislative Council.
- Previously, West Bengal had a bicameral legislature but it was abolished by the United Front government in 1969.
- State Legislative Council:
- The State Legislative Council is the Upper house of the state legislature.
- It is established under Article 169 of the Indian Constitution.
- The size of the State Legislative Council cannot be more than one-third of the members of the State Legislative Assembly.
- Parliament of India can create or abolish the State Legislative Council of a state if that state's legislature passes a resolution for that with a special majority.
3. Indian Handicrafts and Gift Fair inaugurated in New Delhi.
- 51st edition of Indian Handicrafts and Gift Fair has been inaugurated in New Delhi. Chairman of Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts Ravi K. Passi inaugurated this fair.
- Indian Handicrafts and Gift Fair is India’s largest fair in the Home, Fashion, Lifestyle, Textiles, and Furniture sector.
- The five-day virtual fair will help in the export of handicrafts and it will also generate employment in the cottage sector.
- More than 1,500 manufacturers and exporters will participate in this fair. Artisans and Craftsmen from different regions of the country will show their products.
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH):
- It was established in 1986.
- It is an apex body of handicraft exporters.
- It is responsible for promoting the export of Handicrafts from India.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
4. China successfully launched ocean observation satellite Haiyang-2D.
- China has successfully launched a new ocean-monitoring satellite, ‘Haiyang-2D’.
- It has been launched for monitoring dynamic ocean environments and provide early warnings for marine disasters.
- It was launched through a Long March-4B rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre.
- The Haiyang-2D satellite will form a constellation with the HY-2B and HY-2C satellites to provide information about the ocean environment.
- It will also help in the sustainable use of Ocean resources, Ocean research, and response to global climate change.
- The Haiyang-2D satellite has been developed by the China Academy of Space Technology, and the carrier rocket by the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology.
- Recently, China has become the second country to land a rover on Mars after US. China’s rover “Zhurong” had successfully landed on Utopia Planitia on Mars.
Topic: Government schemes and initiatives
5. Six- Month CBID Programme on Rehabilitation of Divyangjan launched by government.
- Six- Month Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID) Programme on Rehabilitation of Divyangjan has been launched by the government.
- Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment (SJ&E) launched a 6-month CBID programme virtually in the presence of Union Minister of State, SJ&E, Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar and others.
- The course for programme has been developed in collaboration with Melbourne University.
- Rehabilitation Council of India and University of Melbourne have co-designed the programme as a joint initiative under MoU signed between Government of Australia and the Government of India on 22nd November, 2018
- The program will apprise the parents/guardians about the nearest early intervention centres, and guide them for availing Government benefits for Divyangjan.
- The Rehabilitation Council of India and University of Melbourne have been working on this program for the last two years.
- The examinations for this programme will be conducted by National Board of Examination under the Rehabilitation Council of India.
- Pass-out candidates will be awarded certificates by National Board of Examination under the Rehabilitation Council of India.
- Rehabilitation Council of India aims to launch the course initially on a pilot basis for 2 batches in 7 National Institutes of Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities and 7-9 voluntary organisations.
- Rehabilitation Council of India was established as a registered society in 1986. In 1992, Parliament enacted RCI Act and RCI became a statutory body in June 1993. So, RCI is a statutory body.
Topic: Personality in News
6. K Rajanarayanan, renowned Tamil writer and novelist popularly known as Ki Ra, passed away at the age of 98.
- K Rajanarayanan, renowned Tamil writer and novelist popularly known as Ki Ra, passed away in Puducherry at the age of 98.
- He was a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi award. He won Sahitya Akademi award in 1991 for his novel 'Gopallapurathu Makkal'.
- K Rajanarayanan was well known for portraying the people and culture of ‘Karisal bhoomi’. Karisal Bhoomi refers to the hot and dry land of southern Tamil Nadu.
Topic: Personality in News
7. Former NSG chief J K Dutt passed away.
- Former National Security Guard (NSG) Director-General JK Dutt died at the age of 72.
- He had headed the National Security Guard (NSG) force during the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008.
- He served as the Director-General of the National Security Guard (NSG) from August 2006 to February 2009.
- He also worked in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Central Industrial Security Force.
- He will be remembered for his leadership during the operation Black Tornado (Mumbai terror attack).
National Security Guard (NSG)
Topic: Indian Economy
8. Government changes Custom duty rule to boost trade facilitation.
- The Government has amended the Import of Goods at Concessional Rate of Duty (IGCR) rules, 2017, to boost trade facilitation.
- The changes in these rules have been done by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.
- Earlier, the importers who did not have in-house manufacturing capability doesn’t get the benefit of importing goods at concessional customs duty.
- According to the new rule, manufacturing industries without in-house manufacturing capability can import the goods at concessional customs duty.
- The new rule has allowed trade and industry to send imported goods out for ‘job work’. It has also allowed the import of capital goods at concessional customs duty.
- However, the new rules will not apply to gold, jewellery, precious stones, and metals industries.
- Import of Goods at Concessional Rate of Duty (IGCR) rules, 2017: These rules are meant for importers who avail the benefit of concessional Customs duty on import of goods required for domestic production of goods or providing services.
(Source: News on AIR)
9. GI certified Gholvad Sapota (chikoo) exported to United Kingdom.
- A consignment of Dahanu Gholvad Sapota (chikoo) has been exported to the United Kingdom from the Palghar district of Maharashtra.
- Dahanu Gholvad Sapota (chikoo) is a registered GI product in Maharashtra and it is famous for its sweet and unique taste.
- It is mainly grown in the 5000 hectares of land in the Palghar district of Maharashtra. Sapota is also grown in Karnataka, Gujarat, West Bengal, and Andhra Pradesh.
- Karnataka is the highest producer of Sapota. It is followed by Maharashtra.
- Recently, GI certified Banganapalli & Survarnarekha mangoes of Andhra Pradesh were also exported to South Korea.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
Topic: National News
10. Jharkhand clinched first position in implementing Smart City Mission schemes.
- Jharkhand has topped among all States and Union Territories in implementing Smart City Mission schemes.
- Recently, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has released the ranking of states on the progress of the implementation of the Smart City Mission’s schemes.
- Rajasthan is in the second position in implementing smart city projects across the country.
- Delhi is in the 11th position among States and Union Territories and New Delhi Municipal Corporation is on the 41st spot in the ranking of 100 cities.
Smart Cities Mission
11. Martha Koome is appointed as first woman Chief Justice of Kenya.
- Martha Koome has been appointed as Kenya’s first female chief justice. She is appointed by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
- She contributed significantly to the constitutional and legal reforms of Kenya. She was also part of the International Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya.
- She has assumed the charge in the place of David Maraga.
- She was selected by the Judicial Service Commission among 10 candidates in April.
- She was appointed as Judge in 2003. She was a member of the African Union Committee on the Rights and Welfare of Children between 2005 to 2010.