- 1. World Hemophilia Day: 17 April
- 2. India clinched one Gold, two Bronze medals in Asian Wrestling Championship.
- 3. Indian Air Force Commanders’ Conference 2021 held in New Delhi.
- 4. Government approves ROPAX jetty project in Odisha.
- 5. Save the Elephant Day: April 16
- 6. IMD predicted Normal monsoon for 2021.
- 7. Former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha passed away.
- 8. India will get Air Defence System S-400 from Russia.
- 9. Economist Intelligence Unit released Inclusive Internet Index in partnership with Facebook.
- 10. World Voice Day celebrated on 16 April with theme “One World, Many Voices.”
Topic: Important Days
1. World Hemophilia Day: 17 April
- It is an international awareness day for hemophilia and other bleeding disorders. It is observed every year on 17 April.
- It is an initiative of the ‘World Federation of Hemophilia’.
- It was started in 1989, and it is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of Frank Schnabel, the founder of the World Federation of Hemophilia.
- The theme of World Hemophilia Day 2021 is “Adapting to change: sustaining care in a new world”.
- Hemophilia: It is an inherited bleeding disorder in which the blood doesn’t clot properly. It is caused due to the absence of clotting factor in the blood.
2. India clinched one Gold, two Bronze medals in Asian Wrestling Championship.
- India women won one Gold, two Bronze medals in Asian Wrestling Championship.
- Sarita Mor clinched the gold medal in the 59 kg category. She had also won a gold medal in the Asian Wrestling Championship 2020 in New Delhi.
- In the women’s 76 kg category, Pooja defeated Seoyeon Jeong of Korea.
- In the women’s 50 kg category, Seema defeated Yung Hsun Lin of Taiwan to win bronze medal.
- Vinesh Phogat (53kg), Anshu Malik (57kg), and Sakshi Malik (65kg) also reached in their respective finals at the Asian Wrestling Championships.
- Asian Wrestling Championships 2021 is being held at Almaty, Kazakhstan. It is organised by the Asian Associated Wrestling Committee.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
3. Indian Air Force Commanders’ Conference 2021 held in New Delhi.
- The Indian Air Force Commanders’ Conference 2021 concluded in New Delhi.
- The theme of the conference was ‘Reorienting for the Future’.
- This three-day conference has been organised to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
- The Chief of Defence Staff, Navy Chief, and Army Chief have addressed the conference.
- Many issues, including the future challenges for the Indian Air Force, the roadmap for effective utilisation of assets and future inductions, etc., were discussed.
- The Air Force Chief stressed upon the need for induction of new technologies into the Indian Air Force. He also said that there is a requirement for innovative and low-cost solutions for enhancing training effectiveness.
- Indian Air Force:
- It was established on 8 October.
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Air Force.
- The Chief of the Air Staff is Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
4. Government approves ROPAX jetty project in Odisha.
- The government has approved a Rs 110-crore ROPAX jetty project on the Dhamra River in Odisha. It will connect Kaninali in Bhadrak district and Talachua in Kendrapada district.
- This project has been approved under the Sagarmala initiative. This project will reduce the travel time for passengers from 6 hours to one hour by waterway.
- It will increase the commercial and business activities in the region and also enhance the socio-economic status of the people.
- It will reduce the road distance of 200 km from Talachua to Dhamra.
- The cost of this project will be shared by the center and state on 50: 50 basis.
- Dhamra River is formed by the confluence of the Brahmani and Baitarani rivers. The Bhitarkanika wildlife sanctuary lies on the Dhamra estuary.
- It is a state on the Bay of Bengal in the east of India.
- It is the eighth largest state by area and the eleventh largest by population.
- It is known for its tribal cultures and many ancient Hindu temples.
- The Chief Minister is Naveen Patnaik and Governor is Ganeshi Lal.
Topic: Important Days
5. Save the Elephant Day: April 16
- Save the Elephant Day is celebrated every year on 16 April. It is observed to raise awareness about the dangers and difficulties faced by Elephants.
- This day was established by the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation in Thailand.
- The day is celebrated to make people aware of the trade of ivory and the loss of habitat of elephants.
- The Red List of IUCN lists African elephants as vulnerable and Asian elephants as Endangered.
- According to an estimate, there are about 50,000-60,000 Asian elephants in the world. More than 60% of those elephants live in India.
- World Elephant Day is celebrated every year on 12 August.
- India had also launched Project Elephant for the protection of Elephants. It was launched in 1992.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. IMD predicted Normal monsoon for 2021.
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted that monsoon will be normal in 2021.
- IMD predicted that the probability of the normal monsoon is 40% while the probability of ‘above normal’ monsoon is 21%.
- India Meteorological Department has predicted that the monsoon seasonal rainfall is likely to be 98% of the Long Period Average (LPA).
- If the prediction of IMD’s comes true, it will be the third consecutive year when India will receive normal or above normal-monsoon.
- The Indian Ocean Dipole and La Nina are expected to be neutral for this year.
- Indian monsoon:
- The word monsoon has been derived from the Arabic word ‘Mausim’.
- Monsoons are seasonal winds that bring rainfall in the Indian region.
- India receives south-west monsoon winds in summer and north-east monsoon winds in winter.
- The south-west monsoon brings most of the rainfall in India between June to September.
- The south-west monsoon has two branches:
- The Arabian Sea branch
- The Bay of Bengal branch
Topic: Personality in News
7. Former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha passed away.
- Former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha died at the age of 68.
- He was appointed as chief of CBI in 2012. He worked on different posts in the state and central government.
- He also headed the Railway Protection Force (RPF) and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- Under his tenure, Supreme Court called the CBI a “caged parrot”.
- He was accused of influencing the probe in coal block allocation during his tenure.
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI):
- It is an investigating agency in India.
- It works under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- Praveen Sinha is the current interim director of the CBI.
- It was established on the recommendation of the Santhanam Committee.
- It derives its powers from the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946.
8. India will get Air Defence System S-400 from Russia.
- Russia will deliver the first set of S-400 air defence systems to India by the end of 2021.
- In 2018, both countries had signed a pact of $ 5.43 billion for the S-400 Triumf missile defence system. It will help the India Air force in enhancing its capability.
- According to the Russian News Agency, China has received the second batch of the S-400 air defense system.
- The US has imposed Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) on Turkey for the purchase of S-400 missile systems from Russia.
- S-400 missile defence system:
- It is a surface-to-air missile system (SAM).
- It is developed by Russia.
- It has been designed to destroy aerial threats like aircraft, UAVs, cruise missiles
- It has a range of 40km to 400Km.
Topic: Reports and Indices
9. Economist Intelligence Unit released Inclusive Internet Index in partnership with Facebook.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit and Facebook have jointly released the Inclusive Internet Index.
- The index shows that how relevant and affordable the internet has become for common people and how people are using it throughout the world.
- The index has been released based on categories, availability, affordability, relevance, and readiness.
- According to the Inclusive Internet Index report, Internet usage increased with the pandemic.
- In both developing and developed countries, their reforms related to Internet availability have increased.
- In the Inclusive Internet Index, India ranked 49th.
Topic: Important Days
10. World Voice Day celebrated on 16 April with theme “One World, Many Voices.”
- World Voice Day is celebrated on 16 April every year throughout the world.
- It is celebrated around the world to create awareness and recognize the importance of our voice.
- The theme of World Voice Day 2021 is “One World, Many Voices.”
- It was first celebrated by a group of Brazilian voice care professionals in 1999.
- The Brazilian Society of Laryngology and Voice was the first to observe April 16 as Voice Day.
- Initially, the day was celebrated as the Brazilian Voice Day.
- From 2002, the day was officially declared as World Voice Day.