- 1. DCGI granted emergency use approval to Corbevax for the 12-18 age group.
- 2. Beijing Winter Olympics 2022 concluded on 20 February.
- 3. West Bengal Government to build a memorial in honour of Abul Barkat.
- 4. Assam becomes first state to launch mobile app for night navigation on rivers.
- 5. Government planning to reorganise the Commerce Department.
- 6. A book titled ‘A History of Sriniketan’ has been released.
- 7. Shakuntala Choudhary, popular as Shakuntala Baideo, passes away.
- 8. World Thinking Day 2022: 22 February.
- 9. SEBI reconstituted advisory committee on alternative investment policy.
- 10. India, Oman begins a bilateral air force exercise in Jodhpur.
- 11. India and France agreed on a roadmap for blue economy and Ocean Governance.
- 12. Union Health Minister released a book titled ‘A Nation To Protect'.
- 13. India's millionaire households have increased by 11% in 2021: Hurun India Wealth Report.
- 14. India becomes No.1 team in ICC T20I rankings for the first time in the last six years.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
1. DCGI granted emergency use approval to Corbevax for the 12-18 age group.
- Corbevax is India’s first indigenously developed Receptor Binding Domain (RBD) protein subunit vaccine for Covid-19.
- It has been developed by Hyderabad-based pharmaceutical company Biological E Ltd.
- In last year December, Corbevax received the emergency use approval for the adult population.
- It is given through the intramuscular route with two doses on the difference of 28 days.
- It is built on the traditional subunit vaccine platform. It triggers immune response by using spike protein. It contains harmless S-protein.
- At present, only ‘Covaxin’ vaccine is used for the 15-18 age group in India.
2. Beijing Winter Olympics 2022 concluded on 20 February.
- The Beijing 2022 Winter Games concluded on 20 February with a Closing Ceremony at the National Stadium in Beijing.
- Norway with 16 Gold, 8 Silver, and 13 bronze topped the medal tally.
- Germany with 9 Gold, 10 Silver, and 5 bronze ended the competition on the second spot while China grabbed the third spot with 9 Gold, 4 Silver, and 2 bronze.
- India hasn’t won any medal at the Beijing Winter Olympics 2022.
- Arif Khan was the flag bearer of India at the opening ceremony of Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics. He recorded India's best-ever performance at Winter Games.
Topic: State News/ West Bengal
3. West Bengal Government to build a memorial in honour of Abul Barkat.
- The government of West Bengal has announced that it will build a memorial of Bhasha Shahid Barkat. It will be built at Babla village in Murshidabad.
- Abul Barkat was killed by the Pakistan police during the Bengali Language Movement on 21 February 1952. He is considered as a martyr in Bangladesh.
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee made this announcement at a function on International Mother Language Day.
- Bengali Language Movement:
- Bengali Language Movement was started in 1952 for making Bangla the official language of Pakistan.
- On 21 February 1952, a famous Dhaka march was organized for the Bengali Language Movement.
- The Pakistan government recognized Bangla as an official state language in 1956.
Topic: State News/ Assam
4. Assam becomes first state to launch mobile app for night navigation on rivers.
- Assam government has launched a mobile app for navigation on rivers at night.
- Assam is the first state of India to launch this kind of night navigation mobile app for rivers.
- The night navigation mobile application has been launched by the transport department in association with scientists of IIT Madras.
- The first night journey with this navigation system was completed between Guwahati and North Guwahati.
- Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma also launched ten Aadhar-based contactless services to make public delivery service efficient.
- The Common Service Centres under the Ministry of Information Technology and Transport Department also signed an MoU for providing online services at the Panchayat level.
Topic: National News
5. Government planning to reorganise the Commerce Department.
- In order to establish coherent trade promotion strategy with clear targets and execution accountabilities, the government is set to revamp the commerce department.
- The government will set up a dedicated trade promotion body to drive overall promotion strategy, export targets and execution.
- It will also set up remedies review committee that will include ministry of commerce and industry, ministry of finance and other ministries for increasing transparency in investigation outcomes.
- Department of Commerce:
- It is department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The department formulates, implements and monitors the Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) which provides the basic framework of policy and strategy to be followed for promoting exports and trade.
- It is also responsible for promoting multilateral and bilateral commercial relations, export promotion and trade facilitation, special economic zones, etc.
- It is headed by a Secretary.
- Current Secretary: Shri B V R Subrahmanyam
- The Department is functionally organized into the following 10 Divisions:
- International Trade Policy Divisions
- Foreign Trade Territorial Division
- Export Products Division
- Export Industries Division
- Export Services Division
- Economic Division
- Administration & General Service Division
- Finance Division
- Supply Division
- Logistics Division
Topic: Books and Authors
6. A book titled ‘A History of Sriniketan’ has been released.
- The book titled “A History of Sriniketan: Rabindranath Tagore’s Pioneering Work in Rural Construction” has been released.
- Famous historian Uma Das Gupta has written this book.
- The book highlights the contribution of Rabindranath Tagore in rural reconstruction through setting up of Sriniketan in 1992 at Santiniketan. Sriniketan was a wing of Visva Bharati International University.
- Other books written by Uma Das are “Rabindranath Tagore: A Biography” and “The Oxford India Tagore: Selected Essays on Education and Nationalism”.
- Rabindranath Tagore was a famous poet, writer, social reformed, and philosopher. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 for Gitanjali. His two major compositions: “Jana Gana Mana” and “Amar Sonar Bangla” are currently the national anthems of India and Bangladesh respectively.
Topic: Personality in News
7. Shakuntala Choudhary, popular as Shakuntala Baideo, passes away.
- Shakuntala Choudhary, a Gandhian social worker and freedom fighter, has passed away recently.
- She hailed from Assam’s Kamrup. She was popularly known as Shakuntala Baideo.
- She worked for wellbeing of villagers, especially women and children. The government has named her for the Padma Shri award for this year.
- She was associated with Vinoba Bhave, who started Bhoodan Movement.
Topic: Important Days
8. World Thinking Day 2022: 22 February.
- World Thinking Day 2022 is celebrated annually on 22 February.
- ‘Our World, Our Equal Future’ is the theme for World Thinking Day 2022.
- World Thinking Day is being celebrated since 1926. It was earlier known as Thinking Day.
- Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, as well as Scout and Guide organizations all over the world, celebrate it.
- 22 February is the birthday of Lord Baden Powell and his wife Lady Olave Baden Powell. Lord Baden Powell was the founder of the Scout Movement.
9. SEBI reconstituted advisory committee on alternative investment policy.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has reconstituted its alternative investment policy advisory committee.
- It will be chaired by Infosys co-founder N R Narayana Murthy. It has 20 members.
- It includes members from SEBI, the Ministry of Finance, and industry associations.
- It will advise SEBI on issues related to the development of the Alternative Investment Fund industry.
- It will also identify hurdles that can hinder the development of the Alternative investment fund industry.
- Earlier, this committee was formed in March 2015. It has till now submitted three reports on the Alternative Investment Fund industry.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- It was set up in 1988.
- It was given statutory status in 1992.
- It is headquartered in Mumbai.
- Ajay Tyagi is its chairman.
10. India, Oman begins a bilateral air force exercise in Jodhpur.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) have begun a five-day bilateral air force exercise ‘Eastern Bridge-VI’.
- It will be held at Jodhpur Air Force Station from 21 to 25 February. It is the sixth edition of this exercise.
- It will provide an opportunity to enhance operational capability and interoperability between the two Air Forces.
- It will also promote professional interaction, exchange of experiences, and enhancement of operational knowledge.
- Oman provides operational support to the Indian Navy in the Arabian Sea and it is one of India’s strongest defence partners in the Gulf region.
- India’s all three services conduct bilateral exercises with Oman’s services.
Air Force (biennial)
Topic: International News
11. India and France agreed on a roadmap for blue economy and Ocean Governance.
- During External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar’s three-day visit to France, India and France agreed on a roadmap for Blue Economy and Ocean Governance.
- The roadmap includes maritime trade, marine trade in services, ports, the naval industry, fisheries, scientific research, ocean observation, etc. fields.
- Both sides will cooperate on developing domestic waterways and sharing scientific knowledge.
- India and France will encourage scientific cooperation between their research institutions.
- On 22 August 2019, India and France had agreed that oceans play a key role in combating climate change, and preserving biodiversity.
- India and France are also committed to promote cooperation under the framework of "EU-India Strategic Partnership: A Roadmap to 2025”.
Topic: Books and Authors
12. Union Health Minister released a book titled ‘A Nation To Protect'.
- A book titled 'A Nation To Protect: Leading India Through The COVID Crisis' has been unveiled by Mansukh Mandaviya.
- It is the third book of Priyam Gandhi Mody and it mentions about Prime Minister’s role and motivation during the Covid crisis.
- It also mentioned the role of Mansukh Mandaviya as Fertilisers Minister during the second wave of COVID-19.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
13. India's millionaire households have increased by 11% in 2021: Hurun India Wealth Report.
- According to the Hurun India Wealth Report 2021, India's millionaire (USD) households have increased by 11% but the happiness Index has fallen as compared to the previous year.
- At present, there are 4.58 lakh households that are millionaires in India. These households have a net worth of at least ₹7 crores.
- As per this report, the number of millionaire households will increase by 30% over the next five years and it will reach to 6 lakh households by 2026.
- The happiness Index of this report is based on the survey of 350 dollars millionaire’s households.
- It indicates that the number of millionaires who classify themselves as happy has decreased from 72 percent to 66 percent in 2021.
- Mumbai topped the list of cities with the most number of millionaires, followed by Delhi and Kolkata.
- This report also throws light on the brand preferences, consumption habits, and lifestyle trends of Indian millionaire.
14. India becomes No.1 team in ICC T20I rankings for the first time in the last six years.
- India has overtaken England, which had 269 rating points.
- Previously, India held the top spot in ICC T20I rankings during Mahendra Singh Dhoni's leadership.
- Recently, the Indian team has won the T20 series against West Indies by 3-0.
- India’s last defeat in T20 came in the 2021 T20 World Cup group stage against New Zealand.