Daily Current Affairs and GK | 20 and 21 February 2022
- 1. A new lizard species is found in a military cantonment of Meghalaya.
- 2. Chetan Ghate appointed as new director of IEG.
- 3. Central government to launch ‘Meri Policy, Mere Haath’ drive.
- 4. Journalist Ravish Tiwari passed away.
- 5 Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram Statehood Day: 20 February
- 6. International Mother Language Day 2022: 21 February
- 7. Sanjay Malhotra nominated as a Director on the Central Board of RBI.
- 8. Coal India Limited wins 'India's Most Trusted Public Sector Company' award.
- 9. The ceremony for Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2022 held in Mumbai.
- 10. Kerala’s first caravan park to be set up at Wagamon.
- 11. Government has approved continuation of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) till 2026.
- 12. Yohan Poonawalla honoured with “Business Leader of the Year Award” at URJA Awards 2022.
- 13. India to host 2023 International Olympic Committee session in Mumbai.
- 14. World Day of Social Justice: 20 February
- 15. Shahrukh Khan named as brand ambassador of online gaming platform A23.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: Environment and Ecology
1. A new lizard species is found in a military cantonment of Meghalaya.
- A new lizard species has been discovered by a team of Umroi Military station in Meghalaya.
- It has been named in the honour of Indian army. Its scientific name is Cyrtodactylus exercitus and its English name is ‘Indian army’s bent-toed gecko’.
- Cyrtodactylus genus is represented by 320 species across the world and is the third most speciose vertebrate genus in the world.
- Members of Cyrtodactylus genus are found in the regions of South Asia to Melanesia.
- Researchers have also discovered another species of bent-toed gecko from the Siaha district in Mizoram. It has been named after the name of the district.
- North East India is home to 16 species of bent-toed gecko.
2. Chetan Ghate appointed as new director of IEG.
- Chetan Ghate has been appointed as new director of Institute of Economic Growth (IEG).
- He will succeed Ajit Mishra. He was member of RBI’s Monetary Policy Committee from 2016 to 2020.
- He is the winner of 2014 Mahalanobis Memorial gold medal for the best research economist in India within the age of 45 years.
- He is a member of Advisory Committee of National Accounts System (ACNAS) in Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Institute of Economic Growth:
- It was founded in 1952 by the eminent economist V.K.R.V. Rao.
- IEG is an autonomous, multidisciplinary center for advanced research and training.
- Tarun Das is its Chairman and Prof. Chetan Ghate is its Director. N.K. Singh is its President.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
3. Central government to launch ‘Meri Policy, Mere Haath’ drive.
- Centre will launch Meri Policy Mere Haath, a doorstep distribution drive to deliver crop insurance policies to farmers.
- The aim of the drive is to make farmers aware about their policies, land records, the process of claim and grievance redressal under PMFBY.
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojana (PMFBY):
- Its aim is to provide financial support to farmers suffering crop loss/damage due to natural calamities.
- PM Modi had launched operational guidelines of PMFBY on February 18, 2016 at Sehore, Madhya Pradesh.
- Its implementation started from Kharif season 2016. PMFBY has entered in 7th year of implementation from 2022 Kharif season.
- Under the scheme, farmers can report crop loss within 72 hours of the occurrence of any event through Crop Insurance App, CSC Centre or the nearest agriculture officer.
- The scheme allows farmer to resolve grievances through IEC activities such as Crop Insurance Week.
- Around 85% of the farmers enrolled with PMFBY are small (having 1-2 hectare land) and marginal farmers (having land below 1 hectare).
Topic: Personality in news
4. Journalist Ravish Tiwari passed away.
- Indian Express national bureau chief Ravish Tiwari has passed away recently.
- He was national political editor of The Indian Express. He was working as the Chief of National Bureau of The Indian Express.
- He had earlier worked at India Today and The Economic Times. He was a recipient of the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship.
Topic: Important Days
5 Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram Statehood Day: 20 February
- Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram had celebrated their 36th statehood day in 2022.
- Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram became a full-fledged state of India on 20 February, 1987.
- Mizoram became the 23rd state of India through the 53rd Constitutional Amendment Act of 1986.
- Arunachal Pradesh became the 24th state of India through the 55th Constitutional Amendment Act of 1986.
- On this occasion, the Governor conferred the ‘Arunachal Ratna’, the highest State Honour to KAA Raja.
- A month-long celebration commemorating the 50 years of Arunachal Pradesh’s conception and existence also ended on 20 February 2022.
- Arunachal Pradesh:
- Capital of Arunachal Pradesh: Itanagar
- Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh: Pema Khandu
- Governor of Arunachal Pradesh: B D Mishra
- Capital of Mizoram: Aizawl
- Governor of Mizoram: Dr. Kambhampati Haribabu
- Chief Minister of Mizoram: Zoramthanga
Topic: Important Days
6. International Mother Language Day 2022: 21 February
- Every year on February 21, International Mother Language Day is commemorated.
- International Mother Language Day encourages multilingualism in society and attempts to preserve traditional knowledge and cultures through long-term strategies.
- The theme for International Mother Language Day 2022 is “Using Technology for multilingual learning: Challenges and Opportunities”.
- In 1999, UNESCO declared 21 February as International Mother Language Day at the 30th UNESCO General Conference.
- The United Nations General Assembly had declared 2008 as the International Year of Languages.
- Since 2015, the Ministry of Education of India is celebrating 21 February as Matribhasha Diwas (Mother Language Day).
7. Sanjay Malhotra nominated as a Director on the Central Board of RBI.
- Central government has nominated Sanjay Malhotra, Secretary, Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance, as a Director on the Central Board of RBI.
- His nomination has become effective from 16 February, 2022 until further orders.
- He succeeded Panda, who completed his term on January 31, 2022.
- Central Board of RBI:
- The RBI Central Board consists of 21 members, including the Governor and four deputy governors.
- Central board of directors governs RBI’s affairs. Its function is general superintendence and direction of the RBI's affairs.
- Government of India appoints board in keeping with the Reserve Bank of India Act.
8. Coal India Limited wins 'India's Most Trusted Public Sector Company' award.
- Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry, Kolkata conferred the award to Coal India Limited in “Energy Meet &Excellence Awards function”.
- Coal India Chairman Mr. Pramod Agarwal was included in the list of "Top 40 CEOs of India". The list was released by the organization Start-up Lens in January 2022.
- Vinay Ranjan, Director (Personnel & Industrial Relations) of Coal India, was included in Forbes India's list of "India's 100 Great People Managers, 2021" in January 2022.
- Coal India Limited (CIL):
- Coal India Limited is a coal mining and refinery company owned by the government of India.
- It is the world's largest coal producer. It is a Maharatna Public Sector Undertaking.
- It is headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal. Pramod Agarwal is its Chairman and MD.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. The ceremony for Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2022 held in Mumbai.
- Pushpa: The Rise has been declared as Film of the Year at the ceremony for Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2022 held on 20 February in Mumbai.
- Ranveer Singh has won the award for Best Actor. Kriti Sanon won the award for Best Actress.
- Anupama has been declared as Television Series of The Year. Shershaah has been declared as Best Film.
- Manoj Bajpayee has won the award for Best Actor in Web Series. Raveena Tandon won the award for Best Actress in Web Series.
- Ken Ghosh has won the award for Best Director for State of Siege: Temple Attack.
- Other winners are given in the following list:
Jayakrishna Gummadi for Haseena Dillruba
Best Actor in Supporting Role
Satish Kaushik for Kaagaz
Best Actor in a Negative Role
Aayush Sharma for Antim: The Final Truth
Critics Best Actor
Siddharth Malhotra for Shershaah
People’s Choice Best Actor
Ahan Shetty for Tadap
Best Web Series
Best Playback Singer Male
Outstanding Contribution To Film Industry
Best Actress in Supporting Role
Lara Dutta for Bell Bottom
Critics Best Film
Critics Best Actress
Kiara Advani for Shershaah
People’s Choice Best Actress
Best International Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Playback Singer Female
Topic: State News/ Kerala
10. Kerala’s first caravan park to be set up at Wagamon.
- The first caravan park of Kerala will be set up at Wagamon in the Idukki district.
- Caravan parks includes less-crowded places with natural beauty. People can experience beautiful locations of the state while traveling in the caravan.
- It has been launched under the Keravan Kerala project to boost tourism in the state. It will be implemented by the Tourism department with private partners.
- The Keravan Kerala project was launched to bring new technology and facilities to the tourism sector. Artists, artisans, and Kudumbasree Mission would also be part of this project.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
11. Government has approved continuation of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) till 2026.
- The Government has approved the scheme of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for continuation till 31st March 2026 or till further review.
- Under this phase, Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan will reach out to remote and rural areas, aspirational districts, tier-2 cities, etc.
- This new phase has been designed to implement recommendations and aims of the New Education Policy.
- The Central government will provide support to the state government for gender inclusion, enhancing employability, and skill upgradation.
- The Central government will also provide grants for creating new model degree colleges.
- Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA):
- It was launched in 2013.
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme to provide funding to state government universities and colleges.
- Its main objective is to improve the quality of state institutions and ensure reform in affiliation, academic, and examination systems.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Yohan Poonawalla honoured with “Business Leader of the Year Award” at URJA Awards 2022.
- Chairman and Director of various Poonawalla Group of companies Yohan Poonawalla awarded with the “Business Leader of the Year Award” at URJA Awards 2022.
- Mrs. Amruta Fadnavis presented this award to Yohan Poonawalla for his remarkable work for society.
- The Poonawalla Group supports several Corporate Social Responsibility activities.
- Along with Yohan Poonawalla, eminent personalities like Farah Khan, Kedar Jadhav, Rinku Rajguru were also awarded. It was the fifth edition of the URJA Awards.
- URJA award:
- It is given to leaders of entertainment, sports, business, social activities, and educational sectors for their significant contribution to society.
- It is a brainchild of Usha Kakade's Gravittus Foundation.
13. India to host 2023 International Olympic Committee session in Mumbai.
- India has won the bid to host the 2023 International Olympic Committee's (IOC) session. It will be held in Mumbai.
- It will be the second IOC session in India. India hosted the first session in 1983 in New Delhi.
- Mumbai received 99% of the votes in favour of its bid. The Session will be hosted at the new Jio World Convention Centre in Mumbai.
- IOC Session is the general meeting of the International Olympic Committee. The IOC has a total of 101 members with voting rights and there are 45 honorary members.
Topic: Important Days
14. World Day of Social Justice: 20 February
- Every year World Day of Social Justice is observed on 20 February.
- It is observed to promote the Social Justice across the world to tackle issues related to gender inequality, unemployment, human rights, etc.
- The UN General Assembly adopted 20 February as World Day of Social Justice in 2007 under the leadership of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- The theme of 2022 World Day of Social Justice is “Achieving Social Justice through Formal Employment”.
- Around 60% of the world’s population earns their livelihoods in the informal economy. Informal workers don’t have social protection or employment-related benefits.
- Formal employment is necessary for reducing poverty and inequalities and it will increase the productivity and sustainability of enterprises.
- On 10 June 2008, International Labour Organization had adopted the ILO Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization.
15. Shahrukh Khan named as brand ambassador of online gaming platform A23.
- Online gaming platform, A23 roped Shahrukh Khan as its brand ambassador.
- He will be part of the ‘Chalo Saath Khele’ campaign.
- Other brand ambassadors in News:
- Sportswear company Adidas announced Manika Batra as its brand ambassador.
- Suniel Shetty has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Protein water brand Aquatein.