- 1. Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab introduced 'Garuda app' to ensure online mapping of all polling stations.
- 2. An anthology of the works of author Ruskin Bond released.
- 3. Rajinikanth honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke award.
- 4. India's first ‘test tube’ Banni buffalo calf born in Gujarat.
- 5. President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev re-elected for a second term.
- 6. PM Modi to participate in 18th ASEAN-India Summit to be held virtually on 28th October.
- 7. Government to set up National Steering Committee for implementing NIPUN Bharat Mission.
- 8. Education Minister launched phase II of the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship.
- 9. Max Verstappen wins U.S. Grand Prix title.
- 10. Disarmament Week: 24-30 October
- 11. Raipur to host National Tribal Dance Festival from 28-30 October.
- 12. Government launched Green Day Ahead Market (GDAM) to buy or sell renewable energy.
- 13. CAG and Auditor General of Maldives signed MoU to strengthen professional capacity.
- 14. China passes a new law on protection and exploitation of the land border areas.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: State news/ Punjab
1. Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab introduced 'Garuda app' to ensure online mapping of all polling stations.
- Garuda app has been launched by the Election Commission of India (ECI) for fast, transparent and timely completion of election work with ease.
- Garuda app has been launched for digital mapping of all polling stations by adding latitude and longitude by the booth level officers (BLO).
- On this app, BLOs can upload photos and location information of polling stations from their registered mobile numbers.
- The app will help reduce paperwork and BLOs will be able to add, delete names or amend addresses of voters on the voter list.
- The facility details will also be added on App for the disabled in the polling stations, like toilets, wheelchairs, drinking water, electricity, sheds, chairs, ramps, and which can be checked online.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of polling stations has been increased from 23211 booths to 24659 polling stations, according to Chief Electoral Officer Punjab.
Topic: Books and Authors
2. An anthology of the works of author Ruskin Bond released.
- A new anthology of renowned award-winning author Ruskin Bond, “Writing for My Life: The Very Best of Ruskin” has been released.
- Penguin Random House India (PRHI) has published the book.
- The publication has come after 25 years of his another anthology, “The Best of Ruskin Bond”.
- Ruskin Bond has received the John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize for his first novel, “The Room on the Roof” in 1957.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. Rajinikanth honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke award.
- Rajinikanth has received the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award at the 67th National Film Awards ceremony for his contribution as an actor, producer, and screenwriter.
- He dedicated the award to his old bus driver friend, who suggested him to join films.
- He also dedicated his Dadasaheb Phalke Award to filmmaker K. Balachander, who directed his first film Apoorva Raagangal.
- He has been selected by a jury comprising Asha Bhosle, Shankar Mahadevan, Mohanlal, Subhash Ghai, and Biswajeet Chatterjee.
- Rajinikanth is known for his performances in films such as Sivaji, Enthiran, Nallavanuku Nallavan, Thalapathy, Annamalai, etc.
Topic: Biotechnology and Diseases
4. India's first ‘test tube’ Banni buffalo calf born in Gujarat.
- India’s first "Banni" breed test-tube buffalo calf has taken birth in Gujarat. The calf of the Banni breed was born with the help of in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
- "Banni" breed of buffaloes is primarily found in the Kutch region of Gujarat.
- The test tube buffalo calf of "Banni" breed will enhance the number of genetically superior buffaloes and it will also help in increasing milk production.
- Banni buffalo is known for its resilience and higher milk-producing capacity in an arid environment.
- The breed had achieved six pregnancies, which were implanted with embryos through IVF technology. The embryos of Banni donors were implanted in 18 recipient buffaloes.
- The process was carried out by JK Bovagenix of NGO JK Trust, a social initiative of Raymond Group.
Topic: International News
5. President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev re-elected for a second term.
- As per preliminary results of poll, President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev has been re-elected for a second term.
- Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev won 80.1 percent of the vote in Sunday’s election.
- On Monday, Uzbekistan’s Central Election Commission announced that voter turnout was 80.8 percent.
- Mirziyoyev took office in 2016 following the death of longtime President Islam Karimov.
- Western observers criticized the poll as uncompetitive. Russian President Vladimir Putin was the first to congratulate Mirziyoyev on his re-election. Russia is building Uzbekistan’s first nuclear power plant.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
6. PM Modi to participate in 18th ASEAN-India Summit to be held virtually on 28th October.
- PM Modi will participate in 18th ASEAN-India Summit to be held virtually on 28th October at the invitation of the Sultan of Brunei.
- Heads of State and Heads of Government of the ASEAN countries will attend the Summit.
- The status of the ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership will be reviewed during the 18th ASEAN-India Summit.
- 18th ASEAN-India Summit will be the ninth ASEAN-India Summit to be attended by PM Modi.
- PM Modi will also attend the 16th East Asia Summit to be held virtually on the 27th October.
- At the 16th East Asia Summit, leaders are also expected to accept declarations on Mental Health, Economic recovery through Tourism and Green Recovery, which are being co-sponsored by India.
Topic: Committees/ Commissions/Taskforces
7. Government to set up National Steering Committee for implementing NIPUN Bharat Mission.
- The government has formed a National Steering Committee (NSC) for implementing the NIPUN Bharat Mission under the chairpersonship of the Union Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan.
- The National Steering committee will oversee the progress of the National Mission on Foundational Literacy and Numeracy and provide guidance on policy issues.
- It will prepare and approve a National Action Plan with KRAs for every state. It will also develop a methodology of assessment based on the provided feedback.
- Department of School Education and Literacy had launched the National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy (NIPUN) Bharat mission to achieve the goal of universal proficiency in foundational literacy and numeracy for every child by grade 3 by 2026-27.
- NIPUN Bharat Mission was launched as part of National Education Policy 2020.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
8. Education Minister launched phase II of the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship.
- Union Education Minister has launched phase II of the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship.
- It is a two-year-long fellowship programme for young, dynamic individuals to contribute to enhancing skill development at the grassroots.
- The fellowship comprises combined classroom sessions by academic partner IIMs with on-field exposure at the district level.
- The Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF) programme has been designed under the SANKALP programme to create professionals at the district level.
- The government has also created District Skill Committees (DSCs) to reduce the mismatch between the supply and demand of skilled manpower in the country.
- MGNF is a Certificate Program in Public Policy and Management offered by IIMs.
- It has been designed at the initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and implemented in collaboration with State Skill Development Missions (SSDMs).
9. Max Verstappen wins U.S. Grand Prix title.
- Red Bull driver Max Verstappen won the Formula One US Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas in Austin.
- He wins his eighth race of the season and doubles his lead in the championship standings.
- Max Verstappen has now extended his points lead from six to 12.
- L. Hamilton ended the race on the second position while S. Perez ended on the third spot.
Topic: Important Days
10. Disarmament Week: 24-30 October
- Disarmament Week is observed annually to promote awareness about disarmament in several countries. This year, Disarmament Week will be celebrated from 24-30 October.
- The main objective of the week is to reduce the use of nuclear weapons across the world to bring peace and harmony in society.
- The Disarmament Week celebration was initiated by the United Nations.
- The United Nations Disarmament Commission (UNDC) was set up in 1952 under the UN Security Council for the regulation and reduction of armed forces.
- Disarmament efforts focus on two basic types of weapons - weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons, and small arms.
- Recently, United Nations Day was celebrated on 24 October to commemorate the United Nations' official formation.
Topic: State News/ Chhattisgarh
11. Raipur to host National Tribal Dance Festival from 28-30 October.
- The three-day National Tribal Dance Festival will be organized in Raipur from 28-30 October.
- Artists belonging to diverse tribal communities from different countries will participate in this event.
- The artists from tribal areas of Bastar, Dantewada, Koriya, Korba, Bilaspur, Gariabandh, Mainpur, Dhura, Dhamtari, Surguja, and Jashpur will also present their culture and tradition in this festival.
- The National Tribal Dance Festival will promote the uniqueness of tribal culture and showcase the richness and diversity of the tribal life of Chhattisgarh.
- The dance performances during this festival will be held in two categories – ‘wedding ceremonies' and 'other prominent rituals’.
- The first edition of the National Tribal Dance Festival was organized in 2019.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
12. Government launched Green Day Ahead Market (GDAM) to buy or sell renewable energy.
- Union Minister of Power & New and Renewable Energy R.K Singh launched the new market segment, Green Day Ahead Market (GDAM).
- It has been launched for buying and selling renewable energy capacity among electricity generation and distribution companies.
- India has become the only country to implement a GDAM exclusively for renewable energy.
- It will deepen the green market and help in providing competitive price in the most transparent, flexible, competitive, and efficient manner.
- The market-based competitive prices will provide another option to renewable generators to sell power as well as accelerate the renewable capacity. The distribution utilities would also be able to sell surplus renewable power generated in their area.
- The green day-forward market will work in an integrated manner with the traditional day-ahead market. The exchanges will offer market participants to submit simultaneous bids for both conventional and renewable energy through separate bidding windows.
13. CAG and Auditor General of Maldives signed MoU to strengthen professional capacity.
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) and Auditor General of Maldives have signed MoU to strengthen their respective institutions' professional capacity.
- The MoU is aimed at exchanging information in the field of public sector audit between India and the Maldives.
- CAG Girish Chandra Murmu and his counterpart Hussain Niyazy signed MoU on 24 October.
- Both parties also agreed to conduct training programmes in their respective countries for their staff.
- They have also decided to improve methodologies in the field of audit of public finance.
Topic: International News
14. China passes a new law on protection and exploitation of the land border areas.
- China has passed a new law on protection and exploitation of the land border areas.
- The law will become operational from January 1 next year. It stipulates that "the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the People's Republic of China are sacred and inviolable".
- The new law calls on the state and military to safeguard territory and “combat any acts” that undermine China’s territorial claims.
- As per the new law, the state shall take measures to strengthen border defence and support economic and social development in border areas.
- It also says that the state shall take measures to improve public services and infrastructure in border areas.
- As per the law, the state shall handle land border-related affairs with neighbouring countries through negotiations to properly resolve disputes and longstanding border issues.
- China is yet to finalise the border agreements with India and Bhutan. It has resolved the boundary disputes with 12 other neighbours.
- India-China border disputes cover 3,488-km along the Line of Actual Control.