- 1. Government issued revised guidelines of ‘SMAM’ to promote drone use in Agriculture.
- 2. Government dropped ‘Abide With Me’ hymn from Beating Retreat ceremony.
- 3. National Tourism Day 2022: 25 January
- 4. India and Israel unveiled a commemorative logo to celebrate their relationship's 30th anniversary.
- 5. Mia Mottley sworn in as Prime Minister of Barbados.
- 6. ‘Apna Kangra’ app launched by Jai Ram Thakur to promote local handicrafts.
- 7. 5-year roadmap and Vision Document for Electronics sector released.
- 8. India’s first para-badminton academy opened in Lucknow.
- 9. 29 Children awarded with Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar-2022.
- 10. Koozhangal wins best film award at 20th Dhaka International Film Festival.
- 11. Vinodanand Jha appointed as new chairperson of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Adjudicating Authority.
- 12. Mohammad Rizwan named as ICC men's T20I cricketer of year for 2021.
- 13. National Voters Day: 25 January
- 14. Tamil film 'Jai Bhim' shortlisted for the 94th Academy Awards.
Special Offer get 25% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS25
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
1. Government issued revised guidelines of ‘SMAM’ to promote drone use in Agriculture.
- To promote drone technology in agriculture, the Government has issued revised guidelines of “Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization” (SMAM).
- The government will provide grants of up to 100 percent or Rs 10 lakh whichever is less under the “Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization” to the agricultural institutes for purchasing drones.
- The grant will be provided to Farm Machinery Training and, Testing Institutes, ICAR institutes, Krishi Vigyan Kendras and State Agriculture Universities for large-scale demonstrations of drones on the farmers’ fields.
- The Farmers Producers Organizations (FPOs) could get grants up to 75% of the cost of agriculture drones.
- A contingency expenditure of Rs. 6000 per hectare would be also provided to agencies interested in hiring drones for demonstrations.
- Custom Hiring Centers set up by Cooperative Society of Farmers, FPOs and Rural entrepreneurs will receive a grant of 40 percent or Rs. 4 lakhs, whichever less to provide agricultural services through drones.
- This financial assistance and grants would be available until March 31, 2023.
- Recently, the Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare has issued the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for use of Drone applications in agricultural, forestry, and non-cropped areas.
(Source: News on AIR)
2. Government dropped ‘Abide With Me’ hymn from Beating Retreat ceremony.
- The government has decided to drop the ‘Abide With Me’ hymn from the Beating Retreat ceremony.
- ‘Abide With Me’ has been replaced by ‘Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon’. It was written during the India-China war by Kavi Pradeep.
- It was first sung by Lata Mangeshkar on 27 January 1963. It was composed by C Ramachandra.
- ‘Abide With Me’ hymn was written by Henry Francis Lyte. It is very popular among Christian denominations.
- The Beating Retreat ceremony is held on 29 January every year as part of the culmination of the Republic Day celebration.
Topic: Important Days
3. National Tourism Day 2022: 25 January
- Every year on January 25, National Tourism Day is observed around the country.
- The day is marked to raise public awareness about the importance of tourism to the country's economy.
- The theme of National Tourism Day 2022 is ‘Rural and Community Centric Tourism’.
- This day is being observed by the Ministry of Tourism as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Swadesh Darshan and Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) is one of the schemes for the development of tourism in India.
- World Tourism Day is celebrated every year on 27 September.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. India and Israel unveiled a commemorative logo to celebrate their relationship's 30th anniversary.
- On January 24, India and Israel unveiled a commemorative logo to mark the 30th anniversary of the two countries' establishment of diplomatic ties.
- In the presence of Israel's Ambassador to India, Naor Gilon, and India's envoy to Israel, Sanjeev Singla, the logo was unveiled virtually at an online event.
- In this logo, there are two symbols on both countries' flags: Star of David and Ashoka Chakra.
- The logo includes both of these symbols and makes the numeral 30 to show that both countries have been working together for 30 years.
- On January 29, 1992, Israel and India had established diplomatic ties. Since then, bilateral relations have emerged as a multifaceted strategic partnership.
- It is a Middle Eastern country located on the Mediterranean Sea.
- Its capital is Jerusalem and the currency is the Israeli shekel.
- Isaac Herzog is the current President of Israel.
- The government of Israel is based on parliamentary democracy.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
5. Mia Mottley sworn in as Prime Minister of Barbados.
- Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley has sworn in for a second term.
- Mottley's Barbados Labor Party captured all 30 seats in the lower house of the Parliament.
- Mottley repeated the same victory that she did in the 2018 election.
- Verla De Peiza of the Democratic Labor Party, Mottley's main opponent, admitted defeat.
- It is an island country in the Lesser Antilles of the West Indies, in the Caribbean region of the Americas.
- It is the easternmost island in the Caribbean.
- Barbados became fully independent in 1966.
- Its capital is Bridgetown. Its currency is Barbados Dollar.
- Its President is Sandra Mason.
Topic: State News/Himachal Pradesh
6. ‘Apna Kangra’ app launched by Jai Ram Thakur to promote local handicrafts.
- Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has unveiled the 'Apna Kangra' app and hampers handcrafted by self-help groups in Dharamsala, Kangra.
- The app has been launched with the aim of providing a hassle-free experience for tourists while also promoting sales of local handicrafts.
- Apna Kangra's mission is to empower rural women and youth through tourism and to provide hospitality services like hotels, homestays, and transportation to travellers.
- Thakur also stated that all retired employees of the Himachal Pradesh State Education Board will be eligible for medical reimbursement.
- In addition, the Chief Minister inaugurated the Radhe Krishna Cow Sanctuary in Luthan.
- The state government is giving Rs 500 per cow to 'Gau Sadans' in order to provide adequate food.
- The state government has also launched schemes like "Mukhya Mantri HIMCARE" to ensure that no one is deprived of access to quality medical care due to a lack of funds.
- Himachal Pradesh:
- It is a state in north India that shares borders with Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Haryana, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, and Tibet.
- It is located in the western Himalayas. It has 12 districts grouped into three divisions- Kangra, Mandi, and Shimla.
- Summer capital of Himachal Pradesh is Shimla and the winter capital is Dharamshala.
- Rajendra Arlekar is the current Governor of Himachal Pradesh and Chief Minister is Jai Ram Thakur.
Topic: National News
7. 5-year roadmap and Vision Document for Electronics sector released.
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, in association with India Cellular & Electronics Association (ICEA) has released 5-year roadmap and Vision Document for Electronics sector.
- The roadmap and Vision Document is titled as “300 billion dollar Sustainable Electronics Manufacturing & Exports by 2026”.
- The document presents year-wise details and production projections for various products.
- These projections will pave the way for India's transformation into an electronics manufacturing powerhouse worth USD 300 billion from the current USD 75 billion.
- The roadmap is 2nd volume of two-part Vision Document. The first part was released in November 2021.
- The first part was titled “Increasing India’s Electronics Exports and Share in GVCs”.
Topic: State News/Uttar Pradesh
8. India’s first para-badminton academy opened in Lucknow.
- Head National Coach of the Indian Para-badminton team, Gaurav Khanna, has launched India’s first para-badminton academy in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Dronacharya awardee, Gaurav Khanna, has launched the academy in association with Ageas Federal Life Insurance with the aim to improve India’s medal prospects at the 2024 Paralympics.
- He also launched the Ageas Federal 'Quest for Fearless Shuttlers' program to find and nurture new talent for the 2028 and 2032 Paralympics.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. 29 Children awarded with Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar-2022.
- This year, 29 children have been selected for Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar-2022.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi conferred Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar to winners of 2021 and 2022.
- He gave digital certificates to winners through a Block Chain-driven technology developed by IIT Kanpur under the National Blockchain Project.
- BlockChain Technology has been used for the first time for giving certificates to awardees.
- The award has been given in the Innovation (7), Social Service (4), Scholastic (1), Sports (8), Art & Culture (6), and Bravery (3) categories.
- Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar:
- This award is given to recognize outstanding effort of children in different fields.
- It comprises a cash award of Rs 1 lakh.
- It is given in six categories.
- It is administered by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Topic: Award and Prizes
10. Koozhangal wins best film award at 20th Dhaka International Film Festival.
- Indian film Koozhangal has won the best film award in the Asian Film Competition category at the 20th Dhaka International Film Festival.
- Indian actor Jayasurya won the best actor award for the film ‘Sunny’.
- The best scriptwriter award has been given to Indranil Roychowdhury and Sugata Sinha for the India-Bangladesh film Mayar Jonjal.
- Indian film Semkhor gets the special audience award.
- Sujit Bidari gets the best director award for his film ‘Aina Jhyal Ko Putali’.
- This 9-day long film festival concluded on 23rd January. 225 films from 70 countries were showcased during this festival.
- Dhaka International Film Festival (DIFF) has been organised by the Rainbow Film Society.
(Source: News on AIR)
11. Vinodanand Jha appointed as new chairperson of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Adjudicating Authority.
- Government has appointed Vinodanand Jha as new chairperson of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) Adjudicating Authority.
- He will serve as chairperson till the completion of his tenure on 22 June 2022.
- He has been serving as the Member (Finance and Accounts) in the Authority since September 2018.
- The Adjudicating Authority consists of a Chairperson and two Members.
- It is an authority under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) to safeguard the interests of the accused against coercive action.
- Prevention of Money Laundering Act:
- It was enacted in 2003 but it came into force on 1 July 2005.
- It was enacted to prevent and control money laundering in India.
- The act was amended in 2005, 2009 and 2012.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Mohammad Rizwan named as ICC men's T20I cricketer of year for 2021.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) named Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Mohammad Rizwan as the ICC men's T20I cricketer of the year for 2021.
- Tammy Beaumont of England has been named as the ICC T20I Women's Cricketer of the Year for 2021.
- Pakistan captain Babar Azam has been named as ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year for 2021.
- Joe Root has been declared as ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year.
- South African umpire Marais Erasmus has been announced as the Umpire of the Year for 2021.
- Janneman Malan has been declared as the ICC Emerging Men’s Cricketer of the Year.
- Lizelle Lee has been selected for ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year honour.
Topic: Important Days
13. National Voters Day: 25 January
- Every year National Voters Day is observed on 25 January.
- The main aim of this day is to increase voter enrollment and encourage the youth to take part in voting.
- It is observed to mark the founding day of the Election Commission (EC) of India.
- On this occasion, the Election Commission spreads awareness among citizens about voter rights and duties.
- In 2011, the Government had declared 25 January as National Voters Day.
- The theme for 2022 National Voters' Day is 'Making Elections Inclusive, Accessible and Participative’.
- Election Commission of India:
- It was formed on 25 January 1950.
- It is an autonomous constitutional body.
- It is responsible for conducting the election on Union and State levels.
14. Tamil film 'Jai Bhim' shortlisted for the 94th Academy Awards.
- Jai Bhim and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham have been officially shortlisted for the Oscars 2022.
- The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has released the list of 276 films eligible for the awards this year.
- Rintu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh’s ‘Writing with Fire’ has been shortlisted in the Best Documentary Feature category for Oscars 2022.
- Jai Bhim is the fourth Indian film to get nominated for Oscars after Mother India, Salaam Bombay, and Lagaan.
- Marakkar Arabikadalinte Simham has been also nominated for the Global Community Oscar Awards 2021.
- The 94th Academy Awards will be presented on 27 March.