- 1. Maharashtra will get 10 new conservation reserves and one sanctuary.
- 2. International Civil Aviation Day: 7 December
- 3. Bangladesh signed its first Preferential Trade Agreement.
- 4. Indian Armed Forces Flag Day: 7 December
- 5. Government has issued advisory to private channels to follow ASCI guidelines for advertisements.
- 6. A sitting Judge of Gujarat High court, G.R Udhwani, passed away.
- 7. Government will set up an AYUSH Export Promotion Council.
- 8. Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) put up barricades around Hampi stone chariot.
- 9. Japan’s Hayabusa2 landed safely in Australia.
- 10. China’s Chang’e-5 probe collected samples on moon surface and docked with orbiter.
- 11. Construction work of Agra Metro Project virtually inaugurated by PM Modi.
Gurunank Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code GURUNANAK
Topic: Environment and Ecology
1. Maharashtra will get 10 new conservation reserves and one sanctuary.
- The wildlife Board of Maharashtra has announced that ten conservation reserves and one sanctuary will be established in the state.
- The eight conservation reserves will be established in the western part of Maharashtra and two will be established in the Vidarbha regions of the state. Kanhalgaon in Chandrapur district will be upgraded as a sanctuary.
- The declared conservation area is spread over about 10,000km in Western Maharashtra and Vidharbha.
- There are about 88 Conservation Reserve in India.
- Conservation Reserves: These are the protected areas which acts as buffer zones between established national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and reserved and protected forests of India.
- Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area where animals can live protected and safe in their natural habitats. There are about 553 wildlife sanctuaries in India.
- Protected Areas in Maharashtra:
- There are six national parks in the State. These are Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Pench National Park, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Tadoba National Park.
- There are 41 Wildlife Sanctuaries in Maharashtra.
- Four tiger reserves are Melghat (Amaravati), Tadoba-Andhari (Chandrapur), Pench (Nagpur), and Sahaydri Kolhapur and Sangli)
Topic: Important Days
2. International Civil Aviation Day: 7 December
- International Civil Aviation Day is celebrated every year on 7th December to create awareness about the importance of civil aviation to the social and economic development of nations across the globe.
- It also aims to highlight the unique role played by ICAO in promoting global connectivity.
- In 1994, the International Civil Aviation Day was established as part of celebrations of 50th anniversary of the signing of the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
- Theme 2020: “Advancing Innovation for Global Aviation Development”
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO):
- It is a UN specialized agency that was formed in 1944 to manage the administration of the Chicago Convention.
- Its headquarters is located in Montreal, Canada.
- Its strategic objectives include enhancing safety and security and increasing the capacity of the global civil aviation system, fostering economic development, and minimizing the adverse impact of civil aviation activities on the environment.
3. Bangladesh signed its first Preferential Trade Agreement.
- Bangladesh has signed its first Preferential Trade Agreement with Bhutan after Independence. It is its first PTA with any country in the world.
- It was signed on the 50th anniversary of diplomatic ties between Bhutan and Bangladesh in Dhaka.
- It will allow the passage of many goods duty-free between both countries. It will allow passage of 100 Bangladesh product and 34 Bhutan products duty-free.
- The Trade volume between Bhutan and Bangladesh is about 50 million dollars.
- Bangladesh will sign 11 more PTA and FTA with many other countries, including Indonesia and Nepal.
- Preferential Trade Agreement: It is a type of trade agreement in which members reduce tariffs on the trade of certain products.
- It is located in the east of India on the Bay of Bengal.
- Its capital is Dhaka, and the currency is Bangladeshi Taka.
- Sheikh Hasina is the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh is India's biggest trade partner in South Asia.
Topic: Important Days
4. Indian Armed Forces Flag Day: 7 December
- Indian Armed Forces Flag Day is celebrated every year on 7 December all over India to honour martyrs and soldiers of the Indian armed forces.
- On 2 December, Defense minister has announced that Armed Forces Flag Day 2020 will be celebrated during the whole of December by centre, state and sainik board as Gaurav Maah.
- Indian Armed Forces Flag Day is being celebrated since 1949. On this day, people are requested to contribute to Armed Forces Flag Day Fund for the welfare of ex-servicemen, war widows and their dependents.
- Armed forces Flag Day Fund:
- Flag Day Fund was constituted by Baldev Singh Committee in 1949. In 1993, related welfare funds were consolidated into a single Armed Forces Flag Day Fund (AFFDF).
- The responsibility of the administration of AFFDF is with Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB). KSB administratively controls AFFDF.
- AFFDF is managed by a Managing Committee. Defense Minister (Raksha Mantri) is chairman of this committee and Raksha Rajya Mantri is its Vice-Chairman.
- Three service chiefs, Defence Secretary, Secretary, Ex-Servicemen Welfare / Ministry of Defence and other senior central government officials are its members.
- Kendriya Sainik Board:
- It works under the Dept of Ex-Servicemen Welfare, Ministry of Defence. It is an attached office of Dept of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
- It forms policies for Resettlement and Welfare of Ex-Servicemen and their dependents. It also forms and operates various welfare and rehabilitation schemes for them.
- Raksha Mantri is its President and three Services Chiefs, Senior Govt Officials, retired officers, ladies, and retired JCOs are its members.
Topic: National News
5. Government has issued advisory to private channels to follow ASCI guidelines for advertisements.
- An advisory has been issued by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry for private channels to follow ASCI guidelines for advertisement related to the online game and fantasy sports.
- This advisory has been issued to private channels for not promoting any activity prohibited by law in their advertisement.
- ASCI guidelines for advertisement are:
- A gaming advertisement must have a disclaimer about the financial aspect and the addictiveness of the game.
- An advertisement should not promote any online game as an alternative for income-generating employment.
- It should also not show the person playing the game are more successful than others.
- The disclaimer should occupy at least 20% of the advertisement space.
- Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI):
- It was established in 1985.
- It is a non-Government body.
- It is a self-regulatory body for regulation of advertisement for the protection of the interest of consumers.
- It is also the part of the Executive Committee of International Council on Ad Self-Regulation.
Topic: Personality in News
6. A sitting Judge of Gujarat High court, G.R Udhwani, passed away.
- Gujarat High Court sitting Judge G.R Udhwani has died at the age of 59 due to COVID 19.
- He joined the Bench of Ahmedabad City Civil Court in 1997 and was appointed as Additional Judge in Special Court (POTA) in 2003.
- He had also served as a registrar in the Gujarat High court.
Qualification to become a High Court Judge
Tenure of High court judge
Topic: National news
7. Government will set up an AYUSH Export Promotion Council.
- The Ministry of AYUSH and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry will set up an Export Promotion Council for increasing AYSUH export.
- Both Ministry will work together for standardization, pricing and quality of AYUSH products in order to boost AYUSH exports.
- This decision was taken in a joint review meeting of AYUSH trade and Industry.
- Government stated that upscaling of AYUSH sector is necessary to meet the global demand of AYUSH products.
- Ministry of AYUSH will work together with the Bureau of Indian Standards for the development of international standards AYUSH products.
- AYUSH: It stands for Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy. It is a medical system which is based on the definite medical philosophies and a way of healthy living. India has a rich heritage of this medical system.
- Piyush Goyal is the current Minister of Commerce & Industry.
- Ministry of AYUSH:
- It is responsible for the research and propagation of indigenous alternative medicine systems in India.
- Shripad Yesso Naik is the current Minister of AYUSH.
Topic: Art and Culture
8. Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) put up barricades around Hampi stone chariot.
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has put up barricades around Hampi stone chariot to protect it.
- This stone chariot is located in front of Vijaya Vittala Temple in UNESCO World Heritage site of Hampi.
- ASI had put up barriers to stop people from touching or climbing over the stone chariot.
- Hampi stone chariot is one of the three famous stone chariots in India. It is a shrine dedicated to Garuda. It belongs to the time of Vijayanagra rulers (14 to 17 century).
- Other famous stone chariots are in Konark, Odisha, and Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu.
- Group of monuments at Hampi:
- Group of monuments at Hampi, Karnataka were recognized as World Heritage site in 1986.
- Hampi was the capital of Vijayanagra Empire. It is located by Tungabhadra River.
- It is known for Virupaksha temple, Vitthala temple, Krishan temple, Hazra Rama temple, Lotus Mahal etc.
(Source: The Hindu)
Topic: Space and IT
9. Japan’s Hayabusa2 landed safely in Australia.
- Japan’s Hayabusa2 completed its six-year mission and landed safely in Australia with samples of Asteroid Ryugu.
- The mission was carried out by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) to know about origins of the solar system and molecules like water.
- Spacecraft for the mission was launched from Japan's Tanegashima space centre in December 2014. It reached asteroid 162173 Ryugu in four years.
- It reached the asteroid Ryugu in June 2018, took samples from asteroid and departed to Earth in November 2019.
- On 6 December, it landed in Woomera restricted area, north of Adelaide, Australia. Before Hayabusa 2, Hayabusa1 was launched by Japan in May 2003.
- Hayabusa1 touched Asteroid Itokawa and returned with samples in 2010. Hayabusa1 was first spacecraft planned to land and take off from an asteroid.
10. China’s Chang’e-5 probe collected samples on moon surface and docked with orbiter.
- China’s Chang’e-5 probe has collected samples on moon (lunar) surface and docked with orbiter (spacecraft orbiting the moon).
- Chang’e-5 probe is a part of Chang’e-5 mission. It is named after mythical Chinese Moon goddess.
- China completed its first-ever docking in lunar orbit with the docking of Chang’e-5 probe.
- The cargo capsule carrying samples departed from the lunar surface. It was first liftoff of a Chinese spacecraft from an extraterrestrial body.
- The cargo transferred samples to orbiter. The orbiter will separate and come back to Earth with samples.
- The samples will help scientists in knowing about origins of moon and about volcanic activity on its surface.
- If the mission succeeds in bringing samples, China will become third country to bring samples from Moon. US and Soviet Union did it in 1960s and 1970s.
- Chang'e-5 was launched through Long March 5 launch vehicle in November 2020. It may return to Earth around 16 December 2020.
(Source: The Hindu)
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
11. Construction work of Agra Metro Project virtually inaugurated by PM Modi.
- Construction work of Agra Metro Project has been virtually inaugurated by PM Modi.
- Agra Metro Project comprises of two corridors. Total length of corridors is 29.4 kilometers.
- The two corridors are 14 km long Sikandra to Taj East Gate corridor and 15.40 km long Agra Cantt to Kalindi Vihar corridor.
- It will take 5 years to complete the project at an estimated cost of more than 8,379 crore rupees.
- The project is being implemented by “Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC)”, a company jointly owned by Government of India and Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- Agra Metro Project was approved by Union Cabinet in February 2019 and inaugurated by PM Modi in March 2019.
- Agra city is located on banks of Yamuna River. It is fourth most populous city of UP. Three World Heritage Sites are located in Agra. They are Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri.
- Recently, Keetham Lake (Sur Sarovar Lake) in Agra was added to Ramsar site list.
(Source: News on AIR)