- 1. Deepak Das appointed new Controller General of Accounts.
- 2. Vice Admiral SN Ghormade took charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- 3. PV Sindhu wins bronze medal at Tokyo Olympics.
- 4. PM Modi launched digital payment solution e-RUPI on 2nd August.
- 5. Muslim Women Rights Day: 1 August
- 6. 36th edition of CORPAT between India and Indonesia concluded.
- 7. Anand Radhakrishnan won the prestigious Will Eisner Comic Industry Award.
- 8. Guido Bellido named new Prime Minister of Peru.
- 9. Government to set up National Farmers Database.
- 10. Bhubaneswar becomes first city to achieve 100% vaccination against Covid.
- 11. Indian and Russian Navy conducted Exercise Indra in Baltic Sea.
- 12. India will hold the Presidency of the UN Security Council for August 2021.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
1. Deepak Das appointed new Controller General of Accounts.
- Deepak Das has been appointed as the new Controller General of Accounts with effect from 1 August 2021.
- He is the 25th officer who took charge as CGA.
- He is a 1986 batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) officer.
- Prior to this, he served as the Principal Chief Controller of Accounts in the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
2. Vice Admiral SN Ghormade took charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- Vice Admiral SN Ghormade has taken charge as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff.
- He replaced Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar who retired on 31 July 2021.
- He was commissioned in the Indian Navy on 1 Jan 1984.
- He was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 Jan 2017 and Nausena Medal in 2007 by the President of India.
3. PV Sindhu wins bronze medal at Tokyo Olympics.
- PV Sindhu has won a bronze medal by defeating China's He Bing Jiao at Tokyo Olympics.
- She had won a silver medal in Rio Olympics in 2016 after losing to Spain’s Carolina Marin in the final.
- She has become the first Indian woman ever to win two consecutive individual Olympic medals.
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar is the only other Indian athlete, who had won two individual medals at the Olympic Games.
- She has also become the fourth woman in the world to win a singles medal in consecutive Olympic Games. Major honours won by PV Sindhu are listed below.
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (PV Sindhu):
- She is an Indian professional badminton player. She is the first Indian to win the Badminton World Championship.
- She is also the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal in Badminton.
- She was awarded Padma Bhushan in January 2020. She is also a recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award and Padma Shri.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
4. PM Modi launched digital payment solution e-RUPI on 2nd August.
- PM Modi has launched e-RUPI, a person and purpose specific digital payment solution on 2nd August 2021 via video conferencing.
- E-RUPI is a cashless and contactless tool for digital payment. It is a QR code or SMS string-based e-Voucher.
- It is delivered to the mobile of the beneficiaries. The users will be able to redeem the voucher without a card, digital payments app or internet banking access, at the service provider.
- National Payments Corporation of India has developed e-RUPI on its UPI platform, in collaboration with the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and National Health Authority.
- E-RUPI can also be used for delivering services under schemes meant for providing drugs and nutritional support under Mother and Child welfare schemes.
- Private sector can leverage these digital vouchers as part of their employee welfare and corporate social responsibility programmes.
Topic: Important Days
5. Muslim Women Rights Day: 1 August
- Muslim Women Rights Day was observed by different organizations across the country on 1 August.
- It was celebrated to mark the second anniversary of the enactment of the law against triple talaq. The law announced the ‘triple talaq’ a criminal offence.
- In 2017, a five-judge Bench of the Supreme Court had ruled that the practice of triple talaq is illegal.
- After this verdict, the Government had brought a law against Triple Talaq for protecting the right of Muslim women. Parliament passed the Muslim Women Act (Protection of Rights on Marriage) on July 30, 2019.
- The government has started several initiatives for the strengthening self-reliance, self-respect, and self-confidence of Muslim women.
- On this occasion, Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani said that the Government is committed to encouraging entrepreneurship among Muslim women.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. 36th edition of CORPAT between India and Indonesia concluded.
- The 36th edition of CORPAT between India and Indonesia was organized from July 30 to 31.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Saryu and Indonesian Naval Ship KRI Bung Tomo participated in this exercise.
- It has been organized to enhance mutual trust, confidence, synergy, and cooperation between both countries.
- It will help in building understanding and interoperability between both navies and prevent drug trafficking and maritime terrorism in the region.
- India and Indonesia conduct Coordinated Patrols along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) twice a year since 2002.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
7. Anand Radhakrishnan won the prestigious Will Eisner Comic Industry Award.
- A visual artist and illustrator Anand Radhakrishnan has won the prestigious Will Eisner Comic Industry Award.
- He has won this award for his work in UK-based author Ram V’s graphic novel called ‘Blue In Green‘.
- Radhakrishnan had done the first cover for his self-published book called ‘Black Mumbai’.
Topic: International News
8. Guido Bellido named new Prime Minister of Peru.
- Peruvian President Pedro Castillo named Guido Bellido as the new Prime Minister of Peru.
- Guido Bellido is a member of the Free Peru party. He is appointed at a ceremony in the Andean region of Ayacucho.
- Peru has had four presidents and two congresses in the last five years of political turmoil.
- In July, Pedro Castillo was announced as the winner of Peru’s Presidential election. He defeated Keiko Fujimori by 44,000 votes.
- Peru is the world’s second-largest copper producer. Its economy is affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
Topic: National News
9. Government to set up National Farmers Database.
- The government is planning to set up a National Farmers Database by using digitized land records. It will offer proactive and personalized services to farmers.
- Narendra Singh Tomar informed that the agriculture ministry has already commenced the work of creating 'Agristack'- a digital ecosystem of agriculture.
- The government has signed several MoUs with selected companies to develop proof of concepts (PoCs) based on small portions of data.
- The agriculture ministry is in touch with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology for bringing out a data policy for the agriculture sector.
- The proposed database will help in reducing input cost, improving quality and getting better prices to farmers for their produce.
- The database may be used for choosing beneficiaries of the government schemes. It will also help in increasing the income of farmers and improve the efficiency of agriculture.
Topic: National News
10. Bhubaneswar becomes first city to achieve 100% vaccination against Covid.
- Bhubaneswar has become the first city in the country to immunize 100 per cent of its population against Covid-19.
- Around 18,35,000 doses of the Covid vaccine have been given till July 30. 55 vaccination centers were set up across Bhubaneswar to accelerate the vaccination drive.
- Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation also set up 10 drive-through vaccination facilities in the city.
- Additionally, about one lakh vaccine doses have been given to migrant workers.
11. Indian and Russian Navy conducted Exercise Indra in Baltic Sea.
- Indian and Russian Navies conducted the biennial Exercise Indra Navy in the Baltic Sea from 28 to 29 July 2021. It was the 12th edition of this exercise.
- The main aim of this’s year exercise was to strengthen inter-operability between both Navies and to enhance understanding and procedures for multi-faceted maritime operations.
- This exercise was undertaken as part of the 325th Navy Day celebrations of the Russian Navy.
- Indian Navy was represented by INS Tabar while the Russian Federation Navy was represented by Corvettes RFS Zelyony Dol and RFS Odintsovo of the Baltic Fleet.
- The exercise is another milestone in strengthening cooperation between the two navies.
- The Army version of this exercise will be organized in Volgograd from August 1 to 13.
- INDRA NAVY is a joint biennial military exercise which is being conducted between India and Russia since 2003.
Topic: International News
12. India will hold the Presidency of the UN Security Council for August 2021.
- The presidency of the United Nations Security Council will be taken over by India for the month of August.
- During the 2021-22 tenure, it is the first presidency for India as a non-permanent member of the UNSC. India has taken over the presidency of the United Nations Security Council from France.
- Under the presidency, the principles of transparency, credibility, accountability, and effectiveness will guide India.
- During the Presidency, India will focus on maritime security, peacekeeping, and counter-terrorism issues.
- India remains dedicated to multilateralism, the rule of law, and a fair and equitable international system as a founding member of the United Nations, according to the ministry statement.
- T. S. Tirumurti is currently the Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations.
(Source: News on AIR)