- 1. NASA scientists successfully extracted oxygen from simulated lunar soil.
- 2. TRAI announced new guidelines regarding fake, promotional calls and SMS.
- 3. As per a WEF report, 83 Million Jobs will vanish by 2027.
- 4. Gujarat and Maharashtra celebrated their 63rd foundation days on 01 May 2023.
- 5. A book, "Reflections", has been launched by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Mumbai on 28 April.
- 6. IOA formed an ad-hoc committee to conduct the WFI elections.
- 7. 100th episode of his monthly radio programme 'Mann Ki Baat' addressed by PM Modi on 30 April.
- 8. International Labour Day/ International Workers’ Day: 1 May
- 9. Pakistan has become the largest recipient of ADB loans in Asia.
- 10. Exercise AGNI DAMAN-23 has been conducted at 29 Field Ammunition Depot, Dehu Road.
- 11. Abhilash Tomy made history by finishing second in a premier global race.
- 12. 'Saurashtra-Tamil Sangamprashastih' book has been launched by PM Modi.
- 13. First Batch of Women Officers Commissioned into Regiment of Artillery of Indian Army.
- 14. Siddhartha Mohanty has been appointed as LIC Chairperson.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: Space and IT
1. NASA scientists successfully extracted oxygen from simulated lunar soil.
- At Johnson Space Center in Houston, NASA scientists have extracted oxygen from simulated lunar soil in a vacuum environment.
- It will pave the way for colonization on Moon and help in establishing a long-term presence of humans on Moon.
- This research will help in providing breathable air for astronauts on the lunar surface.
- The extracted oxygen can also be used as a propellant for transportation and it can help in further space exploration.
- This technology has the potential to produce several times more oxygen per year than its own weight.
- The test has been by NASA’s Carbothermal Reduction Demonstration (CaRD) team in a Dirty Thermal Vacuum Chamber.
- Scientists used a high-powered laser to simulate heat from a solar energy concentrator and melted the lunar soil simulant within a carbothermal reactor.
- The Scientists proved that the CaRD reactor would survive the on lunar surface and successfully extract oxygen.
Topic: National News
2. TRAI announced new guidelines regarding fake, promotional calls and SMS.
- The new rule of TRAI regarding fake, promotional calls and SMS to customers has become effective from 1 May.
- The TRAI has directed the telecom companies to install artificial intelligence spam filters to stop fake calls and SMSes from 1 May.
- Under the new rule, telecom regulator has been directed to include the name and the picture of the caller in the caller ID function.
- AI filter service will be very soon launched by Telecom companies Bharti Airtel and Reliance Jio.
- It will give a big relief to customers from unwanted spam calls and SMS on a daily basis.
- TRAI is demanding from telecom operators to stop promotional calls on 10-digit numbers.
- TRAI is also looking to bring the caller ID feature, which will display the photo and name of the caller on the mobile phone.
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) was established in 1997 to regulate telecom services in India. PD Vaghela is the current Chairman of TRAI.
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
3. As per a WEF report, 83 Million Jobs will vanish by 2027.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has released the Future of Jobs Report 2023.
- In the report, data related to jobs in the next five years has been presented worldwide.
- As per the report, around a quarter of jobs known will get wiped out by 2027.
- It shows that new 69 million jobs will be created by 2027 while 83 million will get eliminated. 14 million jobs will get lost during this period.
- This report is based on a survey conducted across 45 countries on 803 companies.
- 673 existing jobs in the companies have been considered for the study.
- The report suggests that the fastest-growing jobs will be available for AI and machine learning specialists, sustainability specialists, business intelligence analysts and information security specialists.
- The job growth will be witnessed in the field of education, agriculture and digital commerce.
- Big data specialists, AI machine learning specialists and cybersecurity professionals are expected to grow on average by 30% by 2027.
- Bank tellers, cashiers and data entry clerks jobs are expected to decline the fastest.
- As per the report, green transition, ESG standards and localisation of supply chains will be the leading drivers of job growth.
- It recommends that Governments and businesses should invest in the shift of jobs through education and reskilling.
- Before 2027, around Six in 10 workers will require training but currently only half of employees have access to adequate training opportunities.
Topic: Important Days
4. Gujarat and Maharashtra celebrated their 63rd foundation days on 01 May 2023.
- Gujarat celebrated its 63rd foundation day on 01 May 2023 as “Gujarat Gaurav Divas”.
- The Foundation Day celebrations were held in Jamnagar in the presence of Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat and Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel.
- The Chief Minister inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth Rs 300 crore.
- During the event, a 21 feet tall bronze statue of Maharana Pratap was also unveiled.
- Gujarat was formed after the bifurcation of erstwhile Bombay state in 1960.
- Maharashtra also celebrated its 63rd foundation day as ‘Maharashtra Din’.
- Chief Minister Eknath Shinde paid tribute to the martyrs of the Samyukta Maharashtra Andolan (संयुक्त महाराष्ट्र) in Mumbai.
- Sanyukt Maharastra Andolan was started for demanding a separate state for Marathi-speaking people.
- He inaugurated Apla Dawakhana and Urban Arogyavardhini Centres, a special health scheme in the state.
- On this occasion, Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation also launched 75 tour packages within the state.
- In 1960, Maharashtra was formed after the Bombay Reorganization Act was enacted by the Parliament.
(Source: News on AIR
Topic: Books and Authors
5. A book, "Reflections", has been launched by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Mumbai on 28 April.
- Eminent banker Narayanan Vaghul has authored the book.
- The book presents a vivid account of Vaghul's experiences of India's financial landscape.
- Sitharaman highlighted Vaghul's ideas and vision on women's empowerment, which will continue to be relevant and valuable for India as more women take on leadership roles in financial services.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. IOA formed an ad-hoc committee to conduct the WFI elections.
- On 27 April, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has constituted a two-member Ad-hoc Committee to run the office of Wrestling Federation of India (WFI).
- It includes IOA Executive Council member Bhupendra Singh Bajwa and former Asian and Commonwealth Games medalist shooter Suma Shirur.
- The two-member committee will take over the charge of managing the WFI office with immediate effect.
- As per an order issued by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, the committee will also oversee the elections to set up a new Management Committee.
- The Ad-hoc Committee has been mandated by the Ministry with holding the WFI Management Committee elections within 45 days.
- Prior to the election of the WFI, a retired High Court judge will also be appointed by the IOA to the ad-hoc committee for a fair and transparent election.
- The WFI Ad-hoc Committee will be responsible for managing the affairs of the federation including the selection and participation of players in international events.
- Wrestlers Bajrang Punia and Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat are currently protesting at Jantar Manter in New Delhi against lack of action on their allegations of sexual harassment by the President of WFI Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and some coaches.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|March Monthly Current Affairs||February Monthly Current Affairs|
|January Monthly Current Affairs||December Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: National News
7. 100th episode of his monthly radio programme 'Mann Ki Baat' addressed by PM Modi on 30 April.
- PM Narendra Modi remarked on the 100th episode of "Mann Ki Baat" that the broadcast filled the "emptiness" he felt after coming to Delhi in 2014, and that he connected with crores of Indians and never cut-off from people.
- Mann Ki Baat was started on 3 October 2014.
- The program has become a major pillar of the government's citizen-outreach programme, addressing multiple social groups such as women, youth and farmers.
- Apart from 22 Indian languages and 29 dialects, Mann Ki Baat is broadcast in 11 foreign languages including French, Chinese, Indonesian, Tibetan, Burmese, Balochi, Arabic, Pashtu, Farsi, Dari and Swahili.
- Mann Ki Baat was broadcast by more than 500 broadcasting stations of All India Radio.
- IIM Rohtak found in a survey that 100 crore people have heard Mann Ki Baat and claimed that 23 crore people regularly listen to Mann Ki Baat.
- The government also released a commemorative coin of ₹100 to commemorate the telecast of the 100th episode.
- In the center of the obverse of the coin is the Lion Capital of the Ashoka Pillar, below which is written 'Satyamev Jayate'.
Topic: Important Days
8. International Labour Day/ International Workers’ Day: 1 May
- Every year on May 1, International Workers' Day is celebrated.
- It is celebrated every year to pay tribute to the contribution of workers around the world.
- On May 1, 1886, the working class of America came together and rebelled against an unjust system.
- In 1889, the Second International, a worldwide organization of socialist and labor parties, declared May 1 as International Workers' Day to commemorate the Haymarket incident and to promote workers' rights.
- It is also celebrated as May Day. May Day has different stories of origin in different countries.
- However, the common theme in all countries is exploitation against the working class.
- On 1 May 1923, the first May Day in India was celebrated in Madras by the Labor Farmers Party of Hindustan.
- It was also the first time that the red flag was used as a symbol of Labor Day in India.
Topic: International News
9. Pakistan has become the largest recipient of ADB loans in Asia.
- In 2022, Pakistan became the largest recipient of the Asian Development Bank (ADB)-funded programmes/projects.
- According to the ADB Annual Report 2022, Pakistan received loans of USD 5.58 billion out of total loans of USD 31.8 billion to 40 countries.
- Pakistan is facing a deep economic crisis and it received concessional funding of USD 2.67 billion from the bank.
- The report has highlighted that Pakistan was also hit by devastating floods that killed more than 1,700 people. It has further worsened the economic situation.
- Afghanistan and Pakistan were severely impacted by rising food and energy prices.
- Drought and flash floods has increased food insecurity in Afghanistan. It has increased the prices of staple items.
- As per the report, ADB responded timely to emerging and ongoing crises in the Asia and Pacific region.
- Pakistan was one of the founding members of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in 1966.
- ADB has provided loans to India to improve urban transport.
- Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established in 1966. Its headquarters is located in Manila, Philippines.
10. Exercise AGNI DAMAN-23 has been conducted at 29 Field Ammunition Depot, Dehu Road.
- A mutual firefighting Exercise AGNI DAMAN-23 has been conducted under the aegis of Headquarter Southern Command on 28 Apr 2023.
- A total of 56 firefighting columns including 32 from civil agencies have participated in the exercise.
- Fire brigade department of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) Bhawani Peth, National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF), State Disaster Relief Force (SDRF), the fire department of Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), etc. have participated in the exercise.
- The exercise has been held with coordination of all the firefighting resources available with military and civil establishments in Pune.
- Drills and procedures associated with all types of fire were rehearsed and coordinated.
- The onset of summers & extremely high-temperature conditions have increased the fire hazard.
11. Abhilash Tomy made history by finishing second in a premier global race.
- Retired Indian Navy officer Commander Abhilash Tomy has become the first Indian to complete the prestigious Golden Globe Race.
- He finished second in the race which is a solo round-the-world sailing race. He completed this race on April 29.
- Kirsten Neuschaefer of South Africa was at number one. Kirsten crossed the finish line at Les Sables d'Olonne in France on 27 April 2023. She became the first woman to win a solo world sailing race.
- 16 participants were involved in this race and which was started on September 4, 2022, from Les Sables-d'Olonne in France.
- Abhilash had earlier participated in the Golden Globe Race in 2018.
- The Golden Globe Race is known as the world's most dangerous and exciting sailing race.
- In this, one has to go around the whole world through the sea.
- That too has to be done alone, non-stop and without any modern technology.
- Encounters with sea storms, dangerous animals and uncertain weather along the way.
Topic: Books and Authors
12. 'Saurashtra-Tamil Sangamprashastih' book has been launched by PM Modi.
- PM released the book during the closing ceremony of Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam.
- Shri Somnath Sanskrit University, Veraval has composed the book.
- The book marks the relationship between Saurashtra and Tamil Nadu.
- It is based on the historical event of the auspicious confluence of the two holy places of Rameshwaram and Somnath.
- The Saurashtra Tamil Sangam was organised from April 17 to 26 in Somnath.
13. First Batch of Women Officers Commissioned into Regiment of Artillery of Indian Army.
- For the first time, the Indian Army has inducted five women officers into its Regiment of Artillery.
- Out of five, three women officers have been posted to frontline formations along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.
- Lt Mehak Saini, Lt Sakshi Dubey, Lt Aditi Yadav, Lt Pious Mudgil and Lt Akanksha have joined the Army's artillery units after completing their training.
- Lt Saini has been commissioned into a SATA regiment while Lt Dubey and Lt Yadav commissioned into field regiments.
- Lt Mudgil has been inducted into a medium regiment and Lt Akanksha has been inducted into a rocket regiment.
- Out of the total of 186 Short Service Commissioned Officers, 121 men Cadets and 36 Women Cadets were inducted into various Arms and Services of the Indian Army.
- The Regiment of Artillery has around 280 units. It handles Bofors howitzers, Dhanush, M-777 howitzers and K-9 Vajra self-propelled guns.
- In 2019, the Army began the process of inducting women into the military police.
Topic: National Appointments
14. Siddhartha Mohanty has been appointed as LIC Chairperson.
- Siddhartha Mohanty, interim LIC Chairman, has been appointed as regular chairperson of LIC till June 29, 2024.
- After this date, Mohanty will serve as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of LIC till June 7, 2025 or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- In March 2023, Mohanty replaced MR Kumar as interim chairperson of LIC for three month period.
- In May 2022, centre raised ₹20,560 crore in the LIC’s initial public offering. This was the largest ever IPO in the country till date.
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC):
- It was formed in September 1956. It is headquartered in Mumbai.
- Its slogan is yogakshemam vahamyaham (Your welfare is our responsibility).