- 1. National Ayurveda Day is observed every year on the occasion of Dhanwantari Jayanti or Dhanteras.
- 2. ‘Bharat Organics’ brand of National Cooperative Organics Ltd (NCOL) has been launched by Cooperation Minister Amit Shah.
- 3. India and Netherlands signed a Memorandum of Intent to enhance cooperation.
- 4. United Kingdom will include India in its safe states list.
- 5. Fifth India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue organized in New Delhi on 10 November 2023.
- 6. Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) has developed the Pusa-2090 Paddy Variety.
- 7. Nagaland passed a bill to reserve 33% of seats in urban local bodies (ULB) for women.
- 8. Uttar Pradesh Drone Prachalan Suraksha Niti-2023 has been approved by the state cabinet.
- 9. First India-US Defense Acceleration Eco-System (INDUS X) Investor Meet concluded in Delhi.
- 10. World Science Day for Peace and Development 2023: 10 November
- 11. 14th International Conference of NHRIs addressed by Justice Arun Mishra.
- 12. Serena Williams became the first athlete to receive the CFDA Fashion Icon Award.
- 13. Bihar Assembly passed a bill to increase caste reservation from 50% to 65%.
- 14. Government appointed two deputy managing directors of NABARD.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: Important Days
1. National Ayurveda Day is observed every year on the occasion of Dhanwantari Jayanti or Dhanteras.
- This year, the theme for Ayurveda Day is ‘Ayurveda for One Health’ with Tag line ‘Ayurveda for everyone on every day’ i.e., ‘Har din har kisi ke liye Ayurveda’.
- National Ayurveda Day was started in 2016. It was started with an aim to further promote Ayurveda into the mainstream.
- The term 'Ayurveda' means 'the knowledge of life'. It comprises of two Sanskrit words.
- 'Ayu' means 'Life' and 'Veda' means 'Knowledge' or 'Science'.
- The government has been relentlessly promoting and supporting the Ayurveda.
- Govt granted crores of rupees to the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) and All India Institute of Ayurveda, New Delhi.
- Schemes like the Ayurgyan Scheme, Ayurswasthya Yojana, and Champion Services sector scheme under the Ministry of Ayush are being implemented to preserve Ayurveda.
(Source: News on AIR)
2. ‘Bharat Organics’ brand of National Cooperative Organics Ltd (NCOL) has been launched by Cooperation Minister Amit Shah.
- Cooperation Minister Amit Shah also launched logo, website and brochure of NCOL.
- He also gave away NCOL membership certificates to 5 cooperative societies.
- He addressed the national symposium on the promotion of organic products through cooperatives organised by NCOL, in New Delhi.
- The NCOL will initially sell six organic products in India.
- The six organic products are tur dal, chana dal, sugar, rajma, basmati rice, and Sonamasoori rice.
- They will be sold through Safal outlets of Mother Dairy and online platforms.
- NCOL is headquartered in Gujarat. National Dairy Development Board is its chief promoter. It has been established under the Multi State Cooperative Societies Act, 2002.
- India ranks 4th globally in organic agricultural land and first in number of producers according to 2020 data.
- India has 27 lakh hectares of land under certified organic certification.
- Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and North Eastern are some states leading in certified organic land.
3. India and Netherlands signed a Memorandum of Intent to enhance cooperation.
- To enhance cooperation on medical product regulation India and Netherlands signed the Memorandum of Intent.
- The Memorandum of Intent will help in improving the quality of medical products and healthcare services for both countries.
- The MoI was signed by Shri Bhagwant Khuba, Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers and Mr. Ernst Kuipers Minister of Health, Welfare and Sports of the Kingdom of Netherlands.
- Union Minister Bhagwant Khuba led an Indian delegation in the second World Local Production Forum (WLPF) meeting being held in The Hague from 6 to 8 November 2023.
- The World Local Production Platform is an initiative of WHO to increase access to medicines and other health technologies.
- During his visit, Khuba visited the Port of Rotterdam, Europe's largest port. Rotterdam is set to become a hub in hydrogen production and transportation.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
4. United Kingdom will include India in its safe states list.
- The United Kingdom has decided to include India in its list of safe states.
- Apart from India, Georgia has been also included in the list of safe states of the United Kingdom.
- This decision was announced by the UK Home Office to streamline immigration procedures and enhance border control measures.
- This move would speed up the process of returning people from India who have travelled to the UK illegally.
- The UK witnessed an increase in the arrival of small boats from India and Georgia in the last year.
- This compelled the UK government to reassess its approach and take steps under the "Illegal Migration Act 2023" against asylum seekers from these countries.
- All the countries in the list are considered by the UK government to be safe, stable and free from widespread human rights abuses.
- As per the rule, the UK could detain illegal immigrants from these countries or order their prompt return.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
5. Fifth India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue organized in New Delhi on 10 November 2023.
- Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar co-chaired the Dialogue with US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
- After the dialogue, a bilateral meeting was held between Secretary Austin and Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh.
- Fifth India-US 2 plus 2 Ministerial Dialogue focused on defence and security cooperation.
- A number of strategic, defence and technology issues were discussed during the 2 plus 2 dialogue and the bilateral meeting.
- Fourth India and US 2+2 dialogue was organized in Washington in April 2022.
(Source: News on AIR)
6. Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) has developed the Pusa-2090 Paddy Variety.
- IARI has developed this variety to tackle stubble burning.
- This variety has a shorter maturation time, which provides farmers with 30 extra days.
- Paddy crop is usually transplanted in June. It is usually ready for harvest only in late October.
- Due to this, farmers have very little time to prepare their fields to sow the next wheat crop.
- Pusa-2090 is an improved version of the currently used Pusa-44. Pusa-44 takes 155 to 160 days to mature.
- Pusa-2090 variety matures in only 120 to 125 days. So, farmers will get around 30 days to farmers to ready their fields for the next crop.
Topic: State News/ Nagaland
7. Nagaland passed a bill to reserve 33% of seats in urban local bodies (ULB) for women.
- The Nagaland Municipal Bill 2023 has been passed by the Nagaland Legislative Assembly.
- It proposed a 33 per cent reservation for women in the urban local bodies (ULB).
- This bill was passed during a special session of the 14th session held at the Nagaland Legislative Assembly in Kohima.
- Legislatures from different political parties gave support to this bill.
- The provisions relating to taxes on land and buildings have been excluded in the draft of the new Municipal Bill.
- The provisions for one-third reservation of the posts of chairpersons in urban local bodies for women, which were earlier in the Municipal Act, have not been included in the Municipal Bill.
- There are now 39 urban local bodies across Nagaland and the rate of urbanization in Nagaland is rapid.
- Urban local bodies play a key role in making cities and towns better administered and more clean.
- Article 243T makes provisions for the reservation of seats in urban local bodies. It states that not less than one-third of the total number of seats reserved shall be reserved for women.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
8. Uttar Pradesh Drone Prachalan Suraksha Niti-2023 has been approved by the state cabinet.
- Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved the Uttar Pradesh Drone Prachalan Suraksha Niti-2023 for resolving issues related to operation of the drones in the state.
- As per the state policy, registration of drones have been made mandatory.
- The drones will also have a unique identity and the activities of drones can also be monitored from the police station level.
- UP government has worked on the drone policy under the provisions of the Civil Aviation Act of the Government of India.
- The government will also take steps to determine red, green and yellow zones within the state.
- Red zones will be no-fly zones where no activity will be conducted. In the yellow zone, the administration can decide what kind of activity should take place here.
- The remaining activities will be also conducted in the green zone.
- The UP cabinet has allocated ₹262.13 crore for viability gap funding (VGF) for rural development. It will help in providing nutritious supplements to nearly 1.96 crore beneficiaries.
- A proposal to provide 15 acre of land for the development of tourism near the Sohgipurwa Wild life division of Maharajganj has been also approved by the state cabinet.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
9. First India-US Defense Acceleration Eco-System (INDUS X) Investor Meet concluded in Delhi.
- On 8 November 2023, the first INDUS-X Investors Meet was organized by Innovation for Defense Excellence (iDEX) under the Department of Defense Production and the US Department of Defense in New Delhi.
- This meeting was organized Ahead of the 2+2 India-US ministerial dialogue.
- During this, INDUS-X Educational Series (Gurukul) was also launched.
- It aims to guide investors and startups to the defense ecosystem of the US and India.
- The event was coordinated by the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF), IndusTech and MACH33.AERO (Social Alpha).
- The first Indus-X Investor Summit showcased investor interest in start-ups and Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) operating in the defense sector and the emerging opportunities under the Indus-X initiative.
- The meeting brought together everyone including startups, investors, incubators, and industry on one platform.
- The panel discussed 'Investment Opportunities in the Defence Sector' in which establishing a sustainable commercial base for defense cooperation and co-production was discussed in detail.
- The Gurukul initiative aims to help innovators/startups integrate into the defense ecosystem of the US and India.
- The Gurukul (Education) series will feature sessions for startups/innovators by experts from both sides including government officials, corporate representatives, industry forums, incubators/accelerators, etc.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
10. World Science Day for Peace and Development 2023: 10 November
- Every year on 10 November, World Science Day for Peace and Development is observed.
- The day is observed to highlight the important role of science in society and the need to engage the wider public in debates on emerging scientific issues.
- The theme of World Science Day for Peace and Development 2023 is "Building Trust in Science".
- The objective of the day is to strengthen public awareness, promote national and international solidarity, renew national and international commitment, and draw attention to the challenges faced by science.
- The first World Scientific Conference was organized by UNESCO and the International Council for Science in Budapest in 1999.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) declared this day in 2001, but the day was first celebrated in 2002.
- The 22nd edition of World Science Day for Peace and Development was celebrated in 2023.
Topic: Summits/Conferences/ Meetings
11. 14th International Conference of NHRIs addressed by Justice Arun Mishra.
- On 8 November, the 14th International Conference of National Human Rights Institutions was addressed by National Human Rights Commission Chairman Justice Arun Mishra in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- The theme of the conference was ‘Torture and other ill-treatment: The role of NHRIs’.
- The conference was organized by the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) on 6–8 November.
- Justice Mishra stressed upon cooperation to make society more humane and civilized to eliminate the menace of atrocities.
- He said that Public Interest Litigation in the courts and suo motu cognizance of the National Human Rights Commission are the best means to ensure justice for the victims.
- He said that there is also a need to modernize the methods of investigation by the police.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. Serena Williams became the first athlete to receive the CFDA Fashion Icon Award.
- Serena Williams, popularly known as the G.O.A.T in the world of sports, has been honored with the CFDA Fashion Icon Award at the 2023 CFDA Fashion Awards.
- She became the first athlete to receive this prestigious award.
- The honor puts Serena Williams in the group of previous CFDA Fashion Icon Award winners like Zendaya, Naomi Campbell, Beyoncé and Rihanna.
- Williams has consistently made bold fashion trends on and off the tennis court throughout her illustrious 27-year professional career.
- Alongside her tennis accomplishments, she pursued her passion for fashion, even launching her own clothing brand “S by Serena” in 2019.
- 2023 CFDA Fashion Awards presented by Amazon Fashion.
- It took place on November 6, 2023, at the American Museum of Natural History, hosted by Sarah Jessica Parker.
- The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) was established in 1962.
Topic: State News/ Bihar
13. Bihar Assembly passed a bill to increase caste reservation from 50% to 65%.
- The Bihar Assembly passed a bill to increase reservation quotas for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Extremely Backward Classes and Other Backward Classes from the existing 50% to 65%.
- Reservation has been increased after the result of comprehensive caste survey conducted by the government.
- As per the bill, the reservation has been increased from 1% to 2% for ST. The quota for SCs has been increased from 16% to 20%.
- The quota for EBCs has been increased from 18 per cent to 25 per cent.
- For OBCs, the reservation has been increased from 12 per cent to 15 per cent.
- Earlier, Bihar had 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in addition to the 50% reservation.
- Now, the total reservation will reach to 75%.
- In the Indra Sawhney case, Supreme Court put a ceiling of 50 per cent quotas and emphasized upon the concept of "social backwardness” in 1992.
- After the recommendation of Mandal Commission, 27% reservation was given to OBCs.
- The Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act, 2019 had allowed 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).
Topic: National Appointments
14. Government appointed two deputy managing directors of NABARD.
- Goverdhan Singh Rawat and Ajay Kumar Sood have been appointed as Deputy Managing Directors (DMDs) of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- Goverdhan Singh Rawat has been appointed for five years from taking charge or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Ajay Kumar Sood has been appointed with effect from taking charge until his superannuation on August 31, 2027, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Goverdhan Singh Rawat and Ajay Kumar Sood were earlier chief general managers at NABARD.
- NABARD was founded in July 1982. It is headquartered in Mumbai. It is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Finance.
- NABARD is currently headed by a full-time Chairman (K V Shaji). There are 2 posts of Deputy Managing Directors.