- 1. Central Government approved a new rail line in Rajasthan and Gujarat with an outlay of Rs 2,798.16 crore.
- 2. Himachal Pradesh Governor released a book titled “The McMahon line: A century of discord”.
- 3. National Plastic Surgery Day 2022: 15 July
- 4. According to the Govt. survey, Mizoram has the highest proportion of women working as legislators and managers.
- 5. Gotabaya Rajapaksa sent his resignation letter to Sri Lanka Speaker.
- 6. A new mobile app for Aadhaar face authentication has been launched.
- 7. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched Platform of Platforms (POP) under the National Agriculture Market (e-NAM).
- 8. Ahmedabad and Kerala have been included by TIME magazine in its list of the World’s Greatest Places of 2022.
- 9. Central government relaxed norms for adjusting states' off-budget borrowings.
- 10. Jahnavi Dangeti becomes the youngest astronaut to complete the Analog Astronaut programme from AATC.
- 11. Government created a roadmap to promote North-Eastern (NE) states as Agriculture export hub.
- 12. Government extended RoSCTL scheme till March 2024.
- 13. Delhi government launched the ‘SAH-BHAGITA’ scheme for resident welfare associations.
- 14. Mohammed Shami becomes fastest Indian bowler to take 150 wickets in ODI.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
1. Central Government approved a new rail line in Rajasthan and Gujarat with an outlay of Rs 2,798.16 crore.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the construction of the Taranga Hill-Ambaji- Abu Road new rail line.
- It will be 116.65 km long and provide connectivity to Ambaji, a famous pilgrimage destination in India. Ambaji attracts tourists from Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- The Ajitnath Jain temple will also get benefit from this railway line.
It will also provide an alternative route for the existing Ahmedabad-Abu Road railway line.
- The Union Cabinet also approved the up-gradation of the National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI) to Gati Shakti University.
- It will act as a centre for education, training, skilling, and research in the transportation sector.
- National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI) will be now a Central University. It is India's first transport institute situated in Vadodara, Gujarat.
Topic: Books and Authors
2. Himachal Pradesh Governor released a book titled “The McMahon line: A century of discord”.
- It has been authored by former Governor of Arunachal Pradesh and former Chief of Army Staff General JJ Singh (Retd).
- The book is about the former Army chief’s experiences and research on the India-China border dispute.
- In this book, he has written about the politics, history, structure and geography of the McMahon line.
- A short film related to the McMahon line was also screened on the occasion.
- McMahon Line:
- McMahon Line is the effective boundary between China and India.
- Sir Henry McMahon proposed the line at the 1914 Simla Convention to separate Tibet from India in the eastern sector.
- It is 890 kilometres long and extends from the corner of Bhutan to the Isu Razi Pass on the Burma border.
Topic: Important Days
3. National Plastic Surgery Day 2022: 15 July
- Every year on July 15, India observes National Plastic Surgery Day.
- Dr. S. Raja Sabapathy, the then President of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, first proposed the concept of National Plastic Surgery Day in 2011.
- National Plastic Surgery Day has been adopted as World Plastic Surgery Day.
- 'APSI Sushruta Film Festival' (ASFF 2022) has been organized by the Burn and Plastic Surgery Department of AIIMS, Delhi in collaboration with the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSI).
- It was organized to celebrate the 12th National Plastic Surgery Day on 15th July.
- The film festival was observed on the theme of ‘Changing lives with Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery’.
- The purpose of the film festival is to highlight the best work performed by plastic surgeons across the country.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Mizoram
4. According to the Govt. survey, Mizoram has the highest proportion of women working as legislators and managers.
- According to the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) for July 2020-June 2021, Mizoram also has the highest proportion of women working in managerial positions (40.8%), followed by Sikkim (32.5%) and Meghalaya (31%).
- The data showed that the proportion of female workers in the general positions working in managerial positions at All India levels was 18 percent.
- Similarly, the proportion of female workers to male workers as legislators, senior officials, and managers was 22.2 percent.
- According to the data, numerous states/union territories had lower proportions of women working as legislators, senior officials, and managers. These are: Uttarakhand (3.6 percent), Jammu and Kashmir (4.8 percent), Bihar (7.8 percent), Punjab (8.4 percent), etc.
- Dadra Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (1.8%) had the lowest ratio.
- In April 2017, the National Statistical Office (NSO) launched PLFS.
Topic: India and Its Neighbours
5. Gotabaya Rajapaksa sent his resignation letter to Sri Lanka Speaker.
- Sri Lanka's President Gotabaya Rajapaksa sent his resignation via an email to Speaker of Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abhayavardhan.
- Ranil Wickremesinghe will take over as the acting President after Rajapaksa's resignation.
- According to the Sri Lankan Constitution, the Speaker of Parliament will act as President for a maximum of 30 days if both the President and Prime Minister resign.
- Within 30 days, the Parliament will choose a new President from among its members. Then, that person will serve as President for the remaining two years of the current term.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
6. A new mobile app for Aadhaar face authentication has been launched.
- A new mobile app called "AadhaarFaceRd" has been launched by UIDAI for face authentication through a mobile app from anywhere and at any time.
- According to UIDAI, Aadhaar holders' identities like their Aadhaar numbers and biometric data can be stored in the Central Identity Data Repository by using face authentication.
- Aadhaar Face Authentication technology has been developed in-house by UIDAI.
- An Aadhaar holder's actual identity, which was collected at the time of Aadhaar enrolment, is validated and recorded in the databases of UIDAI through this verification.
- Aadhaar holders can use "AadhaarFaceRd" app for various initiatives such as Ration Distribution, Farmer welfare schemes, Scholarship schemes, etc.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI):
- It was established as a statutory authority under the Aadhaar Act 2016.
- It works under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- It has so far issued Aadhaar numbers to more than 132 crore residents.
- Dr. Saurabh Garg is the Chief Executive Officer of Unique Identification Authority of India.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|June Monthly Current Affairs||May Monthly Current Affairs|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched Platform of Platforms (POP) under the National Agriculture Market (e-NAM).
- He launched the POP under e-NAM on the sidelines of the State Agriculture and Horticulture Ministers' Conference in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Equity grant of more than Rs 37 crore was also released to 1,018 Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs).
- With the introduction of POP, farmers will be able to sell crops outside the state borders.
- 41 service providers from different platforms are covered under POP. The POP can be accessed through e-NAM mobile app.
- E-NAM mobile app can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
- Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Government of India is organizing National Conference of State Agriculture & Horticulture Ministers in Bengaluru on 14-15th July, 2022.
Topic: National News
8. Ahmedabad and Kerala have been included by TIME magazine in its list of the World’s Greatest Places of 2022.
- These places have been included by TIME magazine among the 50 extraordinary destinations in its list of the World’s Greatest Places of 2022.
- Seoul, Buahan in Bali, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and Madeira in Spain are other places in list.
- TIME described Kerala as ‘one of India’s most beautiful states.’ Kerala is known as “God’s own country”.
- TIME said Kerala’s first caravan park, Karavan Meadows, has been opened in Vagamon.
- Ahmedabad is India’s first UNESCO World Heritage City.
- TIME said that Ahmedabad’s Gujarat Science City added three attractions last year.
- They include a 20-acre natural park, a new robot gallery and a new aquarium. Science City’s new aquarium is now India’s largest.
Topic: Indian Economy
9. Central government relaxed norms for adjusting states' off-budget borrowings.
- As per the new norms, liabilities of the last fiscal year can be adjusted against their borrowing ceilings for the next four years till March 2026.
- In order to bring transparency to the finances of the states, the Center had informed them in March that the off-budget debt has to be equated with the states' own borrowing.
- Any such funds raised by the governments in the financial years 2020-21 and 2021-22 will need to be adjusted outside the debt limit.
- Off-budget borrowings are the loans taken by state government entities, special purpose vehicles, etc, in which principal and interest are repaid from the budget of the state government.
- The off-budget borrowings of states have increased mainly due to the reduction in revenue growth and increased revenue expenditure.
- As per norms, state governments have to take approval from the central government for fresh borrowing after the limit of a financial year.
- The Centre has fixed the net borrowing ceiling of states at Rs 8,57,849 crore or 3.5 per cent of GSDP.
Topic: Personality in News
10. Jahnavi Dangeti becomes the youngest astronaut to complete the Analog Astronaut programme from AATC.
- Jahnavi Dangeti completed the two-week training programme at the Analog Astronaut Training Centre (AATC) in South Poland at the age of 19.
- AATC has been established by the European Space professionals to carry out spaceflight scientific studies.
- Six persons from across the world were selected for this programme based on achievements and association with the space programmes.
- Jahnavi Dangeti completed NASA’s International Air and Space Programme (IASP) at the Kennedy Space Centre in 2021.
- Under the Analog Astronaut programme, AATC has so far trained 45 batches.
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
11. Government created a roadmap to promote North-Eastern (NE) states as Agriculture export hub.
- For promoting the export of horticulture products grown in North-Eastern (NE) states, the government has created a strategy.
- APEDA signed an MoU with Assam Agriculture University to conduct training programmes on pre-harvest and post-harvest management and other research activities.
- Recently, APEDA also organized a conference on the Export Potential of Natural, Organic and Geographical Indications (GI) Agro Products
- APEDA organised a training programme to promote the export of organic pork from Sikkim.
- For the first time, Tripura’s Jack fruit, and Nagaland’s King Chilli were exported to London.
- The APEDA promoted GI products like Bhut Jolokia, Assam Lemon, etc. from NER.
- In the last six years, the export of agricultural products has increased from USD 2.52 million in 2016-17 to USD 17.2 million in 2021-22.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
12. Government extended RoSCTL scheme till March 2024.
- The government has approved the continuation of the Scheme for Rebate of State and Central Taxes and Levies (RoSCTL) to boost exports and job creation in the textile sector.
- In 2019, the RoSL (Rebate of State Levies) scheme was converted into a new scheme Rebate of State and Central Taxes Levies (RoSCTL).
- The scheme has supported the incubation of start-ups and entrepreneurs. It helped in improving cost efficiency and export competitiveness.
- This scheme has provided a stable and predictable policy regime and helped in generating employment in the textile sector.
- Textile Ministry has a fixed maximum rate of rebate for the scheme at 6.05% for apparel and 8.2% for made-ups.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ New Delhi
13. Delhi government launched the ‘SAH-BHAGITA’ scheme for resident welfare associations.
- Lieutenant Governor (L-G) VK Saxena launched the ‘SAH-BHAGITA’ scheme to increase the involvement of the Residential Welfare Association (RWAs) in tax collection and waste management systems.
- Under this scheme, RWAs will get incentives for their efforts to improve efficiency and compliance in tax collection.
- RWAs will get incentives for achieving 90 per cent tax collection from the total number of properties in their societies or colonies.
- After achieving this feat, RWAs can recommend development works worth 10% of the tax collection but it should not be more than Rs 1 Lakh.
- In addition to this, an extra 5% incentive will be given if the colony implements 100% waste segregation at the source.
14. Mohammed Shami becomes fastest Indian bowler to take 150 wickets in ODI.
- He achieved this feat in first India vs England ODI at the Kennington Oval. He has taken 150 wickets in 80 matches.
- Mohammed Shami broke the record of Ajit Agarkar to take the fastest 150 ODI wickets.
- Shami is the third fastest in the world to take 150 wickets in ODI. Mitchell Starc of Australia holds the record for the fastest 150 wickets.
- Sri Lankan bowler Muttiah Muralitharan is the highest wicket-taker in ODIs.
- Anil Kumble has taken most wickets for India in ODIs.