- 1. In the Biden-Xi Jinping summit, the U.S. and China agreed to resume military talks.
- 2. World Philosophy Day: 16 November
- 3. Virat Kohli scored his 50th century, surpassing Sachin Tendulkar’s world record of 49 tons.
- 4. NASA and ISRO have collaborated to launch the NISAR Mission.
- 5. N. Sankaraiah died at the age of 101 years.
- 6. National Press Day: 16 November
- 7. India’s exports increased by 6.21% to 35.57 billion dollars in October 2023.
- 8. Bangladesh will hold its 12th parliamentary elections on January 7, 2024.
- 9. Many countries designated Hamas as a terrorist organization.
- 10. Salman Rushdie received the first-ever 'Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award’.
- 11. Shital Mahajan became the first woman to skydive from 21,500 ft near Mt Everest.
- 12. The third edition of the Sea Guardian-3 is being carried out in the Northern Arabian Sea.
- 13. India and the USA signed MoU on “Enhancing Innovation Ecosystems through an Innovation Handshake”.
- 14. KL Rahul hits the fastest century by an Indian in the ODI World Cup.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: International News
1. In the Biden-Xi Jinping summit, the U.S. and China agreed to resume military talks.
- U.S. President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping have agreed to resume high-level military communication.
- Both leaders met in person for the first time in a year in San Francisco on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference.
- Both leaders had agreed to establish a direct line of communication with one another.
- Both sides also announced several other agreements including steps to tackle the flow of fentanyl (Potent synthetic opioid drug) into the US.
- Both leaders also discussed the conflict in Israel and Gaza and also agreed to establish an intergovernmental dialogue on artificial intelligence.
- China and the USA also agreed to establish ways to discuss ship drivers and other incidents.
- U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin will meet with his Chinese counterpart after the Biden-Xi Jinping summit.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Philosophy Day: 16 November
- World Philosophy Day is observed every year on the third Thursday of November.
- It is an international day proclaimed by UNESCO. It was first celebrated on 21 November 2002.
- The main objective of the day is to raise awareness about the importance of philosophical analysis, research, and the study of major contemporary issues.
- Philosophy is an inspiring discipline as well as an everyday practice that can transform society.
- On this occasion, UNESCO’s partners encouraged to organize various types of activities- philosophical dialogues, debates, conferences, workshops, cultural events and presentations.
- Philosophy is the study of the nature of existence, knowledge, truth, and ethics.
3. Virat Kohli scored his 50th century, surpassing Sachin Tendulkar’s world record of 49 tons.
- Virat Kohli scored his 50th century in the ODIs New Zealand at the Wankhede stadium at the ICC World Cup.
- Virat Kohli scored a century in 106 balls and reached the milestone. He scored 50 centuries in just 279 innings.
- Sachin Tendulkar scored 49 hundred in 452 innings.
- Virat Kohli also became the first batter to score 700 runs in a single World Cup edition.
- Virat is only behind Sachin Tendulkar and Kumar Sangakkara in terms of most runs scored in ODIs.
- India entered into the finals of the ICC World Cup 2023 after defeating New Zealand by 70 runs at the Wankhede Stadium.
Topic: Space and IT
4. NASA and ISRO have collaborated to launch the NISAR Mission.
- NISAR Mission will advance our understanding of the earth’s dynamics, natural processes and climate change impacts.
- According to reports, the NISAR mission will run for three years.
- It will survey land and ice-covered regions of the earth every 12 days.
- The primary aim is to start the mission in a 90-day satellite commissioning period.
- NISAR is a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) observatory. It has been jointly developed by ISRO and NASA. It aims to map the entire globe in 12 days.
- It also aims to provide constant data for analyzing changes in Earth's ecosystems.
Topic: Personality in News
5. N. Sankaraiah died at the age of 101 years.
- N. Sankaraiah was one of the founding members of CPI (M).
- Sankaraiah was among the 32 national council members of the Communist Party of India (CPI).
- They left the party over ideological differences. This led to the formation of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) in 1964.
- V.S. Achuthanandan, former Chief Minister of Kerala, is another surviving member.
- Madurai Kamaraj University had decided to confer an honorary doctorate on Sankaraiah.
- However, Tamil Nadu Governor R.N. Ravi refused to give his assent to the decision of the university.
- In 2021, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin conferred the Thagaisal Thamizhar Award on the Sankaraiah.
- Sankaraiah had also actively taken part in the Quit India movement during the Independence struggle.
- He was the 2nd accused in the Madurai Conspiracy case in 1946.
- He was also the editor of Theekathir, the official mouthpiece of the State CPI (M).
Topic: Important Days
6. National Press Day: 16 November
- National Press Day is observed annually on 16 November to commemorate the setting up of the Press Council of India (PCI) in 1966.
- It is observed as a day to recognize the importance of the free and responsible press in a democratic society.
- The theme for National Press Day 2023 is “Media in the Era of Artificial Intelligence”.
- Press Council of India was formed on 4 July 1966 on the recommendations of the First Press Commission.
- The Press Council of India is a statutory and quasi-judicial body. It was re-established in the year 1979 under the Press Council Act, 1978.
- Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai is the current chairperson of the Press Council of India.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Indian Economy
7. India’s exports increased by 6.21% to 35.57 billion dollars in October 2023.
- India’s exports stood at 31.6 billion dollars a year ago.
- India’s imports increased to 65.03 billion dollars in October 2023, as against 57.91 billion dollars recorded in October 2022.
- Merchandise exports from April to October 2023 stood at around 245 billion.
- From April to October of 2023, the expected value of services exported was above 192 billion US dollars.
- According to the Commerce and Industry Ministry, 22 of the 30 key sectors exhibited positive growth in October 2023.
- These sectors include Iron Ore, Ceramic Products and Glassware, Processed Items, Cotton Yarn, and Handloom Products among others.
Topic: India and its neighbours
8. Bangladesh will hold its 12th parliamentary elections on January 7, 2024.
- Chief Election Commissioner, Kazi Habibul Awal has announced the poll schedule.
- The Election Commission has a constitutional obligation to complete the next general election by January 29, 2024.
- January 29, 2024 is the day of completion of the tenure of the current government.
- Bangladesh parliament known as Jatiya Sangsad is the supreme legislative body of Bangladesh.
- The current parliament of Bangladesh has 350 seats. This includes 50 seats reserved exclusively for women.
- The 11th parliamentary election was held on December 30, 2018.
Topic: International News
9. Many countries designated Hamas as a terrorist organization.
- Numerous countries including Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, Paraguay, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom and international entities have designated Hamas as a terrorist organization.
- The United States and the European Union have already designated Hamas a terrorist organization.
- Israel Defense Forces (IDF) carried out a precise and targeted operation against Hamas in a specified area in the Al Shifa Hospital.
- Al-Shifa is the largest hospital in the Gaza Strip. Israel and the US claimed that Hamas has a command base in the hospital.
- HAMAS stands for Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiya (Islamic Resistance Movement.
- It emerged in 1987 during the first Palestinian uprising.
- It was founded by Palestinian imam and activist Ahmed Yassin.
- It is committed to armed resistance against Israel and the creation of an Islamic Palestinian state in Israel’s place.
- Hamas is a Palestinian Islamic terrorist group that rules the Gaza Strip.
- Hamas has vowed Israel's destruction and has fought several wars with Israel since taking power in Gaza in 2007.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
10. Salman Rushdie received the first-ever 'Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award’.
- Renowned writer Salman Rushdie was honoured with the first-ever 'Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award'.
- He was presented the award at a surprise ceremony organized by the Upper East Side Vaclav Havel Center.
- This ceremony was hosted by veteran CBS journalist Lesley Stahl at the Havel Center, previously known as the Vaclav Havel Library Foundation.
- This centre was established in 2012 to advocate human rights and free expression.
- This was Rushdie's first public appearance since he was stabbed during a literary festival in New York in August 2022.
- In October, he received the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for 2023.
Topic: Personality in News
11. Shital Mahajan became the first woman to skydive from 21,500 ft near Mt Everest.
- Mahajan jumped off a helicopter from a height of 21,500 ft in front of Mt Everest, the world's highest peak.
- Mahajan landed at Kalapatthar Peak at an altitude 17,444ft.
- Shital Mahajan is an Indian skydiver.
- She is the recipient of the fourth highest civilian award, the Padma Shri in 2001.
(Source: News on AIR)
12. The third edition of the Sea Guardian-3 is being carried out in the Northern Arabian Sea.
- China and Pakistan are conducting the exercise from November 11 to 17. Sea Guardian-3 is the China, Pakistan bilateral naval exercise.
- The two sides will also organize their maiden joint maritime patrol.
- The exercise comes days after Russia and Myanmar held their first naval exercise in the Andaman Sea.
- For Sea Guardian-3, China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has deployed a Type-093 Song class diesel-electric submarine.
- India recently announced its decision to become a full-member of the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF). Pakistan is also a member of CMF.
- Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a Bahrain-based US-led multilateral grouping.
13. India and the USA signed MoU on “Enhancing Innovation Ecosystems through an Innovation Handshake”.
- Under the framework of India – U.S. Commercial Dialogue, India and the USA signed a MoU on “Enhancing Innovation Ecosystems through an Innovation Handshake” on the 14th of November in San Francisco.
- The MoU was signed at the kick-off industry roundtable titled, “Decoding the “Innovation Handshake”: U.S. – India Entrepreneurship Partnership”.
- The main objective of the MoU is to connect both sides of dynamic startup ecosystems. It will facilitate the sharing of information and best practices for startup fundraising.
- It will also promote innovation in critical and emerging technologies (CET) as identified under the India -U.S. initiative for Critical and Emerging Technology (iCET).
- This MoU shows the commitment of both countries to strengthening the startup ecosystem in deep tech sectors and promoting cooperation in Critical and Emerging Technologies (CET).
- This MoU has set the platform for two future Innovation Handshake events scheduled to take place in India and the United States in early 2024.
- The Commercial Dialogue (CD) is a cooperative undertaking at the Ministerial level between India and the U.S.
14. KL Rahul hits the fastest century by an Indian in the ODI World Cup.
- KL Rahul hits the fastest century in 62 balls in a match against the Netherlands.
- He broke the record held by Rohit who scored the century in 63 balls.
- He also became the second Indian wicketkeeper-batter after Rahul Dravid to score a World Cup century.
- India became the first team to have five of its batters score fifty runs or more in an innings in the ODI World Cup.
- Rohit Sharma became the first Indian captain to score 500 or more runs in a single World Cup edition.