- 1. Indian Navy launched “Julley Ladakh" outreach programme.
- 2. Gopichand Hinduja becomes the new chairman of Hinduja Group.
- 3. BJP-proposed anti-conversion law in Karnataka has been withdrawn by the state cabinet.
- 4. World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2023: 17 June
- 5. On 15 June, the European Central Bank raised borrowing costs to its highest level in 22 years.
- 6. Defence ministry approved procurement of 31 MQ-9B armed drones from US.
- 7. The government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2023-2027 has been signed in New Delhi.
- 8. Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla officially inaugurated the National Legislators' Conference Bharat (NLC Bharat) in Mumbai on 16 June 2023.
- 9. Rajasthan, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu have emerged as leading states in Wind Energy adoption.
- 10. Prisons of UP to be known as “Reform Homes”.
- 11. Raja festival celebrated in Odisha.
- 12. A contract worth Rs 500 crore signed by Defence Ministry to strengthen communication system of Indian Army.
- 13. BIMSTEC member to adopt Bangkok Vision 2030 in next summit.
- 14. Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society renamed as Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code FEB24
1. Indian Navy launched “Julley Ladakh" outreach programme.
- Indian Navy has launched the “Julley Ladakh" programme to increase awareness about the Indian Navy service in Ladakh and to engage with youth and civil society.
- Vice Chief of Naval Staff, Sanjay Jasjit Singh also flagged off a five thousand kilometre Motorcycle Expedition from the National War Memorial.
- This outreach programme includes a Motor Cycle Expedition, a band concert at City Centre with the famous Navy Band, Medical Camp and a Football Match between the Navy and the Ladakh Football Club.
- The main objective of this initiative is to create awareness drives at Schools and Colleges in the Ladakh region about the career opportunities Indian Navy.
- A total of 35 Indian Navy personnel, including Officers, sailors, and family members are participating in this Motorcycle Expedition.
- It will also aware of students about the Agnipath Scheme and motivate them to join the Indian Navy.
- It will promote Nari Shakti, an initiative of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The Navy had previously made similar efforts in the North East which were highly successful.
2. Gopichand Hinduja becomes the new chairman of Hinduja Group.
- After the death of Srichand Hinduja, Gopichand Hinduja has taken over as chairman of the $34.5 billion-worth Hinduja Group.
- Srichand Hinduja died on May 17 at his home in London due to a prolonged illness.
- Gopichand Hinduja was earlier the co-chairman of the Hinduja Group. He was overseeing a diverse global business empire spread to several sectors such as automotive, oil and chemicals, etc.
- Srichand Hinduja was the eldest son of Parmanand Deepchand Hinduja.
- Srichand Hinduja and his brother Gopichand moved to London in 1979 to develop the export business.
- Parmanand Deepchand Hinduja founded the company in 1914. Its headquarters is located in Mumbai.
Topic: State News/ Karnataka
3. BJP-proposed anti-conversion law in Karnataka has been withdrawn by the state cabinet.
- In September 2022, the law was passed in the Legislative Assembly but was not introduced in the Legislative Council.
- The law proposed imprisonment of three to five years with a fine of Rs 25,000 for forced conversions and employing fraudulent means to marry Hindu girls in the state.
- On 15 June, the cabinet also decided to remove chapters from school textbooks on RSS founder KB Hedgewar, Veer Savarkar and Chakraborty Sulibele.
- At this place, the education department will come out with a supplementary booklet containing letters written by Indira Gandhi to her father Pandit Nehru, a chapter on Savitri Bai Phule and a chapter on BR Ambedkar.
- Besides this, the cabinet decided to introduce reading of the Preamble to the Constitution in all schools and colleges.
- Also decided to withdraw the APMC Act introduced by the previous BJP government.
Topic: Important Days
4. World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2023: 17 June
- Every year on 17 June, World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is celebrated.
- It is celebrated to create awareness regarding the presence of desertification and drought and also to highlight the international efforts to combat desertification.
- The theme of the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2023 is ‘Her Land. Her Rights.’
- In 1994, the United Nations General Assembly declared 17 June "World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought".
- In 2007, the United Nations General Assembly declared 2010–2020 as the United Nations Decade for Deserts and the Fight against Desertification.
- The global focus for Desertification and Drought Day 2023 is on women's land rights, which are critical to achieving the worldwide objectives of gender equality and land degradation neutrality.
- SDG 15: Protect, Restore And Promote Sustainable Use Of Terrestrial Ecosystems, Sustainably Manage Forests, Combat Desertification, And Halt And Reverse Land Degradation And Halt Biodiversity Loss.
Topic: Banking System
5. On 15 June, the European Central Bank raised borrowing costs to its highest level in 22 years.
- The ECB raised interest rates to the highest level in 22 years to curb elevated inflation levels.
- The ECB has left the door open for more hikes to fight against inflation, which remains high.
- The ECB raised its key interest rate - the rate one banks pay for safely keeping cash at the central bank - for the eighth time in a row, by 25 basis points to a 22-year high of 3.5%.
- ECB interest rates will be brought down to levels sufficiently restrictive to achieve a timely return of inflation to the 2% medium-term target and will be held at those levels for as long as necessary.
- The central bank of the 20 countries that share the euro also said it expects inflation to stay above its 2% target until 2025 and once again hinted at more rate hikes in the coming months.
- The ECB now expects the economy to grow 0.9% this year.
- Higher borrowing costs are pulling down credit demand from households and companies as well as banks' willingness to lend.
6. Defence ministry approved procurement of 31 MQ-9B armed drones from US.
- On 15 June, Ministry of Defense of India has approved the acquisition of 31 MQ-9B armed drones from the US.
- The approval for the purchase of the drone made by General Atomics was given at a meeting of the Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh.
- India is expected to buy the drones in a deal worth a little over $3 billion. 15 drones will be for the Navy and eight each for the Army and the Air Force
- The drones have an endurance of over 27 hours and can operate up to 50,000 feet.
- The deal is expected to be announced during Modi's meeting with US President Joe Biden at the White House on June 22.
- India and the US have been negotiating the acquisition of drones for nearly eight years, primarily to enhance the surveillance capabilities of the Indian armed forces.
- Currently, the Indian Navy is operating two MQ-9 drones leased from the US in November 2020.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks
|May Monthly Current Affairs
|April Monthly Current Affairs
|March Monthly Current Affairs
|February Monthly Current Affairs
Topic: National News
7. The government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2023-2027 has been signed in New Delhi.
- NITI Aayog and the United Nations office in India signed GoI-UNSDCF on 16 June 2023.
- CEO NITI Aayog B V R Subrahmanyam and UN Resident Coordinator India Shombi Sharp signed GoI-UNSDCF in the presence of the Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Suman Bery and others.
- GoI-UNSDCF 2023-2027 represents the UN development system’s collective offer to the Government of India for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Suman Bery said the GoI-UNSDCF will contribute towards the achievement of national development priorities.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- These are 17 goals designed to achieve a better and more sustainable future.
- These were formulated in 2015 by the UNGA and these have to be achieved by 2030.
- 17 SDGs of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development officially came into force on 01 January 2016.
8. Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla officially inaugurated the National Legislators' Conference Bharat (NLC Bharat) in Mumbai on 16 June 2023.
- National Legislators' Conference Bharat (NLC Bharat) started in Mumbai on 15 June 2023.
- The APJ Abdul Kalam expo pavilion was also inaugurated. It reflects the theme of Bharat's 75th year of independence.
- Mr. Birla addressed the gathering of legislators and said that this conference gives a platform to engage in discussions.
- He said that this conference gives a platform to contemplate strengthening our legislative institutions.
- National Legislators' Conference Bharat is taking place in Mumbai from 15th to 18th June 2023.
- It is an avenue for Members of Legislative Assemblies (MLAs) and Members of Legislative Councils (MLCs) all over India to gather for the first time ever at one place.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
9. Rajasthan, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu have emerged as leading states in Wind Energy adoption.
- On the occasion of Global Wind Day, Rajasthan has been felicitated for achieving the highest wind capacity addition during the financial year 2022-23.
- Gujarat has been felicitated for achieving the highest wind capacity addition through open access while Tamil Nadu for initiating repowering of wind turbines.
- On this occasion, Wind Atlas prepared by the National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE) has been also launched.
- The country's onshore wind potential is now estimated to be 1,164 GW at 150 meters above ground level.
- Central and state government authorities, wind turbine manufacturers and developers, international and domestic financial institutions participated in Global Wind Day celebrations.
- The celebration was organized in association with the National Institute of Wind Energy, Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation, Indian Wind Turbine Manufacturers Association and Wind Independent Power Producers Association.
- India is committed to achieving the target of 500 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
10. Prisons of UP to be known as “Reform Homes”.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said that establish prisons as places for reform.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath gave important guidelines for prison reform after reviewing the conditions of prisons.
- He also issued directions regarding the preparation of the new Prison Act of state.
- Uttar Pradesh cabinet has recently approved a new Jail Manual. It is important for prison reforms.
- CM Yogi Adityanath also directed to create a formal proposal for establishing an open jail. A semi-open jail is currently operational in Lucknow.
- Currently, the Jail Act of 1894 and the Prisoners Act of 1900 are in effect.
- The main objective of the Prison Act 1894 is to maintain discipline and control over offenders in custody.
- The Central government has recently prepared the Model Prison Act-2003. It will be very useful in the reformation and rehabilitation of prisoners.
Topic: Art and Culture
11. Raja festival celebrated in Odisha.
- Raja festival is a three-day festival celebrated by girls and women in both urban and rural areas in Odisha.
- It is also known as Mithun Sankranti.
- The first day of the festival is called ‘Pahili Raja’. The second day of the festival is called ‘Majhi Raja’, ‘Raja Sankranti’ or ‘Mithuna Sankranti’.
- The third day of the festival is called ‘Bhudaha’ or ‘Basi Raja’ or ‘Sesha Raja’.
- Notably, ‘Pahili Raja’ falls on the last day of month ‘Jyestha’ and ‘Raja Sankranti’ on the first day of month ‘Asadha’.
- This festival is observed to celebrate womanhood and people worship Bhudevi (Earth Goddess) as it is believed that Bhudevi menstruates and prepares herself for future agricultural activities.
- The word 'Raja' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Rajas' which means menstruation. As menstruation is considered a sign of fertility.
12. A contract worth Rs 500 crore signed by Defence Ministry to strengthen communication system of Indian Army.
- On June 15, 2023, the Ministry of Defense entered into a contract with ICOMM Tele Limited, Hyderabad in New Delhi for procurement of 1,035 numbers of 5/7.5 Ton Radio Relay Communication Equipment Containers.
- The MoU has been signed to further promote indigenous manufacturing of defense equipment and encourage private sector to realize the vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- The value of the contract under the Under Buy (Indian) category is approximately Rs 500 crore.
- The distribution of containers will start in the current financial year 2023-24.
- The Radio Relay Containers will meet the long awaited requirement of mobile communication troops of the Indian Army.
- These containers will be used to provide a protected environment for communications equipment to function more reliably.
- The containers will be placed on authorized special vehicles and moved as per operational requirements.
- The company will produce the containers with all components and sub-systems sourced from indigenous manufacturers.
- The development of such state-of-the-art equipment will also help in increasing exports with friendly countries.
Topic: International News
13. BIMSTEC member to adopt Bangkok Vision 2030 in next summit.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit is going to be held at the end of 2023.
- Bangkok Vision 2030 will be adopted at this summit which will give direction to the organization.
- The 19th BIMSTEC ministerial meeting hosted by Thailand in March discussed and approved the draft of BIMSTEC Bangkok Vision 2030.
- The goals of Vision 2030 are also in line with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and Thailand’s bio-circular-green economic model.
- A marine transport cooperation agreement is likely to be signed at the summit.
- Thailand has put forth the Bangkok Vision 2030. It will help in making the BIMSTEC region more prosperous, resilient and open.
- The BIMSTEC charter was adopted in 2022, which laid the foundation to function it as a full-fledged organization.
- It was formed on 6 June 1997 and its headquarters is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- It is an international organization of South Asia and Southeast Asian countries.
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand are members of BIMSTEC.
- Thailand is chairing the chairmanship of BIMSTEC for 2022 – 2023.
Topic: National News
14. Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society renamed as Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society.
- The government has decided to rename Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society as Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society.
- The renaming comes more than a year after the ‘Pradhanmantri Sanghralaya’ was inaugurated at the historic Teen Murti Complex.
- The decision of renaming has been taken at a special meeting of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML) Society. It was headed by presided by Rajnath Singh.
- The idea for a dedicated museum for all Prime Ministers was given by PM Narendra Modi in 2016.
- The proposal of constructing a Museum dedicated to all Prime Ministers was taken at 162nd meeting of NMML in 2016.
- The ‘Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya’ was opened to the public on April 21, 2022.
- Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML):
- It was established in the memory of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- It is an autonomous institution under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- It is located in the Teen Murti House, the official residence of the first Prime Minister of India.