- 1. World AIDS Vaccine Day 2023: 18 May
- 2. World Telecom Day has been celebrated by Department of Telecommunications on 17 May.
- 3. National Ayush Mission (NAM) Conclave inaugurated by Union Minister for AYUSH Sarbananda Sonowal on 18 May 2023 in New Delhi.
- 4. BJP MP Rattan Lal Kataria passed away.
- 5. The union government has given approval to the signing of the Project Collaboration Agreement between the Department of Health Research (DHR) and WHO on Assistive Technology.
- 6. The extradition of Tahawwur Rana to India has been approved by a US court.
- 7. PM Modi laid the foundation stone and dedicated to the nation several railway projects in Odisha on 18 May 2023 via video conferencing.
- 8. The government has decided to form 1,100 new Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) in the cooperative sector.
- 9. State owned enterprise reform policy approved by Sri Lanka's cabinet of ministers.
- 10. International Museum Day 2023: 18 May
- 11. International Museum Expo 2023 will be inaugurated by PM Modi on 18th May.
- 12. Four-day long Uttarakhand Shree Anna (Millets) Festival concluded on 16 May.
- 13. Sanchar Saathi portal has been launched by Union Minister Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw.
- 14. Manoj Soni becomes the new Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code FEB24
Topic: Important Days
1. World AIDS Vaccine Day 2023: 18 May
- Every year on May 18, World AIDS Vaccine Day is observed all over the world.
- It is celebrated to create awareness about AIDS and the need for its vaccine.
- On 18 May 1998, World AIDS Vaccine Day was for the first time celebrated.
- There is currently no vaccine available to prevent HIV.
- World AIDS Vaccine Day is also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day.
- AIDS is a viral disease. The full form of AIDS is Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
- In 1981, AIDS was first reported in the United States.
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) causes AIDS. It damages the immune system of the body.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Telecom Day has been celebrated by Department of Telecommunications on 17 May.
- The World Telecom Day Convention has been inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Communications Shri Devusingh Chauhan.
- On May 17, 2023, it has been inaugurated on the occasion of World Telecom and Information Society Day at Dr. Ambedkar International Center in New Delhi.
- He inaugurated an exhibition showcasing innovations in telecom by startups and released a commemorative postage stamp to mark 20 years of USOF.
- He also unveiled the USOF@India book and the Open Ran (Radio Access Network) Test Bed Project.
- From April 1st, 2002, Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) was brought into force in India to provide universal access and universal services to ICT, especially in the rural and remote regions of the country.
- Four top performing Udyamis ensuring India's last mile connectivity were felicitated and the report on the first International Quantum Communication Conclave was also released.
- On 27th and 28th March 2023, the “First International Quantum Communication Conclave” was held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- In addition, DoT employees and best performing field units of DoT were felicitated for their contribution and outstanding work in the field of Telecom.
- Best performance award for field unit of DoT was awarded to LSA Andhra Pradesh, CCA NE-II, and WMO, IMS Chennai.
- World Telecommunication Day:
- It is celebrated annually on 17 May, since 1969, to mark the establishment of the ITU and the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention in 1865.
- It was established in 1973 as Resolution 46 by the Plenipotentiary Conference in Málaga-Torremolinos.
- The day aims to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as ways to bridge the digital divide.
- Turkey decided to celebrate both the events on May 17 as World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD).
3. National Ayush Mission (NAM) Conclave inaugurated by Union Minister for AYUSH Sarbananda Sonowal on 18 May 2023 in New Delhi.
- NAM Conclave is being held on the 18th and 19th May 2023 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The Conclave will strengthen the functioning of Ayush Health and Wellness Centres.
- It will pave the way for better coordination among stakeholders.
- The Ministry of Ayush is organising the National Ayush Mission Conclave.
- National Ayush Mission was launched in 2014. It is the flagship program of the Ministry of Ayush.
- Its objective is to enhance the availability, accessibility, and quality of Ayush healthcare services through Ayush Health Wellness centers.
- The operationalization of 12,500 Ayush Health Wellness Centres had been approved by the government under the NAM in a phased manner.
- Till date over 8500 Ayush Health Wellness Centres have been set up across India.
Topic: Personality in News
4. BJP MP Rattan Lal Kataria passed away.
- He was a Bharatiya Janata Party Member of Parliament (MP) from Ambala, Haryana.
- He was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Jal Shakti and the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- He represented Ambala in Lok Sabha for 3 terms. He also served as the President of the Haryana BJP.
(Source: News on AIR)
5. The union government has given approval to the signing of the Project Collaboration Agreement between the Department of Health Research (DHR) and WHO on Assistive Technology.
- The collaboration between DHR and World Health Organization (WHO) aims at working to draw global attention toward access to assistive technology.
- At the Union Cabinet meeting held on 17 May 2023, the signing of the MoU between the Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the Egyptian Competition Authority (ECA) was also approved.
- The MoU aims to develop and strengthen linkages between CCI and ECA.
- It envisages the promotion of cooperation in competition policy and law through the exchange of information and sharing of best practices.
- The Union Cabinet also approved the signing of the MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and The Chartered Accountants of the Maldives.
- This MoU aims to establish mutual cooperation for the advancement of Accounting Knowledge, Professional and Intellectual Development.
Topic: International News
6. The extradition of Tahawwur Rana to India has been approved by a US court.
- Tahawwur Rana is a 26/11 Mumbai terror attack accused Pakistani-origin Canadian.
- Indian government’s request for the extradition of Rana was approved by California District Court Judge Jacqueline Chooljian.
- Rana was arrested in the US on an extradition request by India.
- Rana was arrested for his role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks in which more than 160 people, including six Americans, were killed.
- Rana was convicted in Chicago in 2011. He was convicted of providing support to the Lashkar-e-Taiba.
- Lashkar-e-Taiba is a Pakistan-based terror group that planned the Mumbai terror attack.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks
|April Monthly Current Affairs
|March Monthly Current Affairs
|February Monthly Current Affairs
|January Monthly Current Affairs
Topic: State News/Odisha
7. PM Modi laid the foundation stone and dedicated to the nation several railway projects in Odisha on 18 May 2023 via video conferencing.
- These projects are worth over 8,000 crore rupees. He flagged off the Vande Bharat Express between Puri and Howrah.
- It will cover 500 kms distance. It will pass through Paschim Medinipur, and Purba Medinipur districts in West Bengal and Khordha, Cuttack, Jajpur, Bhadrak, and Balasore districts in Odisha.
- The regular run of the Howrah-Puri-Howrah Vande Bharat Express will start from May 20.
- The PM also laid the foundation stone for the redevelopment of Puri and Cuttack railway stations.
- He also dedicated to the nation 100% electrification of the rail network in Odisha. He also dedicated to the nation following projects.
- The doubling of the Sambalpur-Titlagarh rail line
- A new broad gauge rail line between Angul-Sukinda
- The third line connecting Manoharpur-Rourkela-Jharsuguda-Jamga
- New broad-gauge line between Bichhupali-Jhartarbha
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
8. The government has decided to form 1,100 new Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) in the cooperative sector.
- The government has allocated these additional 1100 FPOs to National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) under FPOs’ Scheme.
- Under the FPO Scheme, each FPO gets financial assistance of 33 lakh rupees.
- Further, the Cluster-Based Business Organizations are provided the financial assistance of 25 lakh rupees per FPO.
- The Ministry of Cooperation said Primary Agricultural Credit Societies can now engage in other economic activities including high-income generating activities such as bee-keeping and mushroom cultivation.
- Primary Agricultural Credit Societies are primarily involved in short-term credit and distribution of seeds and fertilizers.
- National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) is a statutory corporation. It was set up in March 1963. Pankaj Kumar Bansal is its managing director.
Topic: India and its neighbours
9. State owned enterprise reform policy approved by Sri Lanka's cabinet of ministers.
- The aim of the reform is to strengthen government finances and facilitate economic recovery.
- The policy will transform state enterprises into market-oriented entities that no longer burden the country's budget.
- There is a need for a cost-conscious pricing policy to prevent bankruptcy caused by selling goods below cost.
- Optimizing employment is also a priority, as overworked workers can result in decreased productivity.
- The policy will help in attracting both domestic and foreign investments by creating a competitive and market driven environment.
- Reforms in state-owned enterprises are important for improving the financial conditions, economic variables and balance of payments.
- Under reform effort, some agencies may need to divest and invest in productive areas, while some divisions may need to be closed.
- In Budget 2023, the SOE Reform Unit was proposed and set up to facilitate the implementation of these measures, which are seen as an important step in overcoming the country's economic crisis.
Topic: Important Days
10. International Museum Day 2023: 18 May
- Each year on 18 May, International Museum Day (IMD) is celebrated.
- IMD provides an opportunity to increase public awareness of the role of museums in social development.
- The theme of International Museum Day 2023 is ‘Museums, Sustainability and Well Being’.
- The International Council of Museums has been organizing the IMD ceremony every year since 1977.
- International Museum Expo 2023 has also been inaugurated by PM Modi in New Delhi on 18th May.
- International Council of Museums is a non-governmental organization. It is headquartered in Paris, France. It is having a consultative status with UNESCO.
Topic: National News
11. International Museum Expo 2023 will be inaugurated by PM Modi on 18th May.
- On 18th May, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate the International Museum Expo 2023 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- The International Museum Expo is being organized to observe the 47th International Museum Day (IMD). The theme of this year’s International Museum Expo is ‘Museums, Sustainability and Well Being’.
- Museum Expo aims is to start a holistic conversation on Museums with museum professionals. The professionals will play a key role in India’s cultural diplomacy.
- Prime Minister will also inaugurate a virtual walkthrough of the upcoming National Museum at the North and South Blocks.
- The Prime Minister will also unveil the International Museum Expo mascot, a graphic novel – A Day at the Museum, Directory of Indian Museums, Pocket Map of Duty Path and Museum Card.
- The Mascot is a contemporized version of the Dancing girl made of wood in the Chennapatnam art style.
- The Directory of India Museums is a comprehensive survey of Indian museums. Museums Cards is a collection of 75 cards featuring illustrations of renowned museum facades from across the country.
- Museums Cards are an innovative way to introduce museums to people of all ages and each card has brief information about Museum.
- International delegates from cultural centres and museums from across the world are participating in the event.
Topic: State News/ Uttarakhand
12. Four-day long Uttarakhand Shree Anna (Millets) Festival concluded on 16 May.
- The Uttarakhand Shree Anna (Millets) Festival closing ceremony was held in Dehradun in the presence of Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar.
- It was started on 13 May to spread public awareness about the health benefits of coarse grain and to explain the state's potential to grow Millets.
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said that Shree Anna will benefit small farmers and it will increase their income.
- Millets are full of nutrition, it does not require fertilizer to grow and can be cultivated easily even in low rainfall.
- Agriculture Minister of Uttarakhand Shri Ganesh Joshi, Finance Minister Shri Prem Aggarwal and other public representatives were also present at the concluding event.
- Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said that Devbhoomi of Uttarakhand has a diverse climate which is favourable for agriculture.
- Uttarakhand government is properly implementing schemes of the Ministry of Agriculture in the state.
- This year’s importance of Millets is being spread under the International Year of Millets.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
13. Sanchar Saathi portal has been launched by Union Minister Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw.
- Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw launched the Sanchar Saathi portal on 16 May to full fill government’s vision of Digital India.
- The Department of Telecom has developed this portal to prevent fraud, including forged KYC, banking fraud from mobile phones, etc. It is part of the draft Telecom bill.
- More than 40 Lakh fraudulent connections have been identified through the Sanchar Saathi portal.
- Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated three services for the Safety and security of the users. The details about services are given below:
- CEIR (Central Equipment Identity Register) – for blocking stolen/lost mobiles.
- Know your mobile connections – to know mobile connections registered in your name.
- ASTR (Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification) – to identify fraudulent subscribers.
- Citizens can check IMEI genuineness through Sanchar Saathi portal before buying a mobile phone and also report fraudulent or unrequired connections.
Centralized Equipment Identity Register
Telecom Analytics for Fraud Management and Consumer Protection
Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification. (ASTR)
Topic: National Appointments
14. Manoj Soni becomes the new Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- Manoj Soni took the Oath of Office and Secrecy as Chairman, Union Public Service Commission. The Oath has been administered by Smt. Smita Nagaraj, senior most Member of the Commission.
- He joined the Union Public Service Commission as full-time member on 28 June 2017.
- He was vice chancellor of the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University (BAOU) from August 1, 2009, to July 31, 2015, and was vice chancellor of the Maharaja Sayajirao University ( MSU) of Baroda from April 2005 to April 2008.
- He is a recipient of the title "Honorary Mayor-President of the City of Baton Rouge" for his service. He is the youngest-ever Vice Chancellor of India.
- He has received many awards for many significant publications.
- Union Public Service Commission:
- It is a Constitutional Body under Articles 315-323 of the Indian Constitution.
- The chairman and other members of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) are appointed by the President of India.
- The members of UPSC can hold office for a term of six years or till they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- The Chairman and other members of UPSC can be removed from office only by order of the President.
- It is responsible for appointments and examinations of the Group 'A' posts of several central government establishments.