- 1. Renowned comedian Vir Das won the International Emmy Award for Comedy.
- 2. Uttar Pradesh government will build a stadium in the village of Mohammed Shami.
- 3. Traditional and Complementary Medicine 'Project Collaboration Agreement' has been signed by the Ministry of Ayush and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- 4. World Television Day: 21 November
- 5. International Tourism Mart is being organized by the Ministry of Tourism at Shillong.
- 6. COVID-19 warriors received the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize.
- 7. Bengaluru has the highest number (1,783) of women-led startups in India according to data from startup data platform Tracxn.
- 8. Luc Frieden has become the new prime minister of Luxembourg.
- 9. Uttar Pradesh government banned halal-branded food items.
- 10. A new mysterious layer formed in the Earth's core.
- 11. 2023 JCB Literary Prize was given to Tamil writer Perumal Murugan for Fire Bird.
- 12. ‘Every Right for Every Child’ campaign launched by Uttar Pradesh.
- 13. Uttar Pradesh won the best state award in inland fisheries.
- 14. Sheynnis Palacios from Nicaragua became Miss Universe in 2023.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code SUCCESS2024
Topic: Awards and Prizes
1. Renowned comedian Vir Das won the International Emmy Award for Comedy.
- At the International Emmy Awards 2023, Vir Das and Derry Girls Season 3 won the International Emmy for Comedy.
- Vir Das received the award for his Netflix comedy special titled Vir Das: Landing.
- It is Vir’s second International Emmy nomination. He is one of the pioneers in India’s modern stand-up comedy scene.
- He has appeared in more than 100 stand-up shows and acted in more than 15 films.
- In 2021, he performed at the John F Kennedy Centre in Washington DC, which sparked the controversy.
- UK actor Martin Freeman won the Best Actor award while Mexico’s Karla Souza received the Best Performance by an Actress award.
- ‘Mariupol: The People’s Story’ has been named as the best documentary at the International Emmy Awards.
- ‘The Empress’ has been acknowledged as the Best Drama series.
- Ektaa Kapoor received the International Emmy Directorate Award.
- The International Emmy Award is presented by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (IATAS). It was first presented in 2007.
Topic: State News/Uttar Pradesh
2. Uttar Pradesh government will build a stadium in the village of Mohammed Shami.
- UP Government will also develop sports infrastructure in his village.
- Officials in Amroha have readied a proposal to construct a mini-stadium as well as an open gym at Shami’s village of Sahaspur Alinagar in the Amroha district.
- According to the officials, the UP government had plans to build 20 mini-stadiums in the state and Amroha is also included in the list of places where 20 mini-stadiums are planned.
- Indian pacer Mohammed Shami’s seven-wicket haul in the semi-final against New Zealand propelled India to the World Cup final.
- Shami is India’s leading wicket-taker at ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups with 55 wickets in 18 matches. He claimed 7 wickets for 57 runs against New Zealand in November 2023.
- Mohammed Shami plays for Bengal in domestic cricket.
3. Traditional and Complementary Medicine 'Project Collaboration Agreement' has been signed by the Ministry of Ayush and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- This agreement aims to standardize Traditional and Complementary Medical Systems, integrate their quality and safety aspects into the National Health System, and disseminate them at the international level.
- The objective of this cooperation agreement is also to connect Traditional and Complementary Medical Systems with the mainstream of the National Health System.
- To fulfill this objective, WHO will prepare Traditional Medicine Global Strategy 2025-34 with the support of the Ministry of Ayush.
- In collaboration with WHO, the Ministry of Ayush will develop an International Herbal Pharmacopoeia of herbs found in South-East Asia.
- The first phase of this agreement, 2023-28, will prove to be a milestone in the global development of Traditional and Complementary Medical Systems.
- Ministry of Ayush has already signed two ‘Project Collaboration Agreements’ with WHO.
- The first agreement was signed in 2016 to take Traditional Medical systems like Yoga, Ayurveda, Unani, and Panchakarma to the global level.
- The second contract was signed in 2017 to strengthen the system of Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha.
Topic: Important Days
4. World Television Day: 21 November
- World Television Day is observed every year on 21 November since 1996.
- It is observed to highlight the value of television in globalization and communication.
- According to the United Nations, television continues to be the single largest source of video consumption.
- The United Nations General Assembly declared November 21 as World Television Day in 1996.
- On November 21 and 22 in 1996, the United Nations held the first World Television Forum.
- To mark its anniversary, the United Nations General Assembly adopted November 21 as World Television Day.
- Scottish engineer, John Logie Baird, invented the TV in 1924.
- TV was introduced in India on 15 September, 1959 with the assistance of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
Topic: National News
5. International Tourism Mart is being organized by the Ministry of Tourism at Shillong.
- The International Tourism Mart is being organized at Shillong in Meghalaya from 21 November to create awareness about the tourism potential of the North-East Region.
- It is an annual event organized by the Ministry in one of the North-Eastern States on a rotation basis.
- The event was inaugurated by Tourism Minister G. Kishan Reddy and is being attended by Tourism Ministers of North-Eastern states.
- The three-day event will provide a platform for North Eastern stakeholders to interact with their counterparts from across the country and overseas markets.
- In addition, it is designed as a green program by adopting low-carbon alternatives in line with the action points prepared by the Ministry of Environment for implementing Mission Life (LiFE).
- During this period, single use plastic will not be used, paperless system will be adopted and tree plantation campaign will be conducted.
- During the event, the eight North-Eastern states will present updates on their new destinations and new opportunities in their states.
- Knowledge sessions and panel discussions with panelists from both the government and private sectors will deliberate on the progress and development of connectivity in the region.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
6. COVID-19 warriors received the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize.
- On November 19, the 2022 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament, and Development was jointly awarded to the Indian Medical Association, and the Trained Nurses Association of India as representatives of the COVID-19 warriors in the country.
- The award was presented to Dr. Sharad Kumar Agarwal, president, of the Indian Medical Association, and Professor (Dr.) Roy K. George, president, Trained Nurses Association of India by Former Vice-President Hamid Ansari.
- This award was given to every doctor, nurse, paramedic, and karamchari for their selfless service, unwavering dedication, and perseverance in the face of adversity.
- The award, instituted after one of the most remarkable leaders of the twentieth century, aims to honour women, men, and institutions who have done exemplary work in the service of humanity.
- The award is given annually by the Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust to individuals or organizations.
- The award carries a cash award of 2.5 million Indian rupees and a citation.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Reports and Indices/Ranking
7. Bengaluru has the highest number (1,783) of women-led startups in India according to data from startup data platform Tracxn.
- It is followed by Mumbai and Delhi with 1,480 and 1,195 women-led startups respectively.
- Noida, Kolkata, and Ahmedabad are ranked at the eighth, ninth, and tenth places with 324, 184, and 181 women-led startups respectively.
- Karnataka is the first state in India to provide a grant-in-aid of Rs 50 lakh to encourage innovators.
- According to Tracxn, Zomato, Byju’s, Ofbusiness, Upstox, Lenskart, and Open are among the top 10 women-led startups in India.
- The funding for women-led startups has decreased from 183 startups in 2014 to 7 in 2023.
- As per the data, the number of women-led unicorns from 2008 to 2018 was 14.
- Bengaluru-based neobank Open has two women co-founders. It became the 100th unicorn.
- Other Indian unicorns with at least one women co-founder are Nykaa, Mamaearth, Hasura, Pristyn Care, OfBusiness, Mobikwik, The Good Glamm Group, and Livspace.
- There are currently 14 women-led unicorns in India.
Topic: International Appointments
8. Luc Frieden has become the new prime minister of Luxembourg.
- Luc Frieden is Luxembourg's former finance minister.
- Luc Frieden is leading a government coalition comprising his Christian democratic party as well as the liberal party of former Prime Minister (PM) Xavier Bettel.
- His Christian Social People's Party won the election last month.
- On 16 November 2023, the Christian Social People's Party signed a coalition agreement with Bettel's Democratic Party after about six weeks of negotiations.
- In the new government, Bettel is the foreign affairs minister. Gilles Roth is the new finance minister.
- It is a landlocked country in Western Europe. It borders Belgium to the west and north, Germany to the east, and France to the south.
- Its capital and most populous city is Luxembourg. Its currency is the Euro.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
9. Uttar Pradesh government banned halal-branded food items.
- The State Food Commissioner's office has banned halal-labelled food items such as dairy products, sugar, bakery items, peppermint oil, savouries and edible oil.
- The State Food Commissioner's office issued an order that halal labelling is against legislation passed in 2006 for ensuring the quality of products.
- Halal labelling creates confusion among consumers and is against the principles of the State government law on the quality of edible products.
- As per the law, creating confusion is a punishable offence. The halal certification is operating as a parallel system.
- Only export products have been exempted from this ban.
- All acts related to the certification of food products were scrapped and the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is now the sole authority for the certification.
- Halal certification: It is a guarantee that the product is prepared in accordance with Islamic law and is unadulterated. It is issued by a third-party body.
10. A new mysterious layer formed in the Earth's core.
- A new enigmatic layer, E prime layer, has been formed at the outermost part of Earth's core.
- It has formed due to the penetration of surface water deep into the earth, which altered the composition of the earth's core outermost region.
- This latest research suggests that tectonic plates carrying surface water have transported it deep into the Earth.
- The water on reaching the core-mantle boundary reacted with silicon and formed a hydrogen-rich, silicon-depleted layer at the outer core.
- Silica crystals generated by this process blend into the mantle.
- This study has been released by an international team of researchers.
- Earth comprises four primary layers: Crust, mantle, outer core and inner core.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
11. 2023 JCB Literary Prize was given to Tamil writer Perumal Murugan for Fire Bird.
- The winner was announced in New Delhi on 18 November.
- The novel ‘Fire Bird’ was translated into English by Janani Kannan.
- Penguin Random House India published the novel ‘Fire Bird’.
- Although Murugan and Kannan were present at the awards ceremony, publisher and writer Manasi Subramaniam received the award on their behalf.
- The award was announced virtually by Lord Bamford, Chairman, JCB Group and personally presented by Deepak Shetty, CEO and Managing Director, JCB India Limited.
- The JCB Literary Award awards Rs 25 lakh to the author and an additional Rs 10 lakh to the translator.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
12. ‘Every Right for Every Child’ campaign launched by Uttar Pradesh.
- On 19 November, the ‘Every Right for Every Child’ campaign was launched to ensure equal opportunities for students.
- The campaign has been led by Power Angel and Bal Sansad.
- The campaign focused on 'Equality and Inclusion' and includes daily activities across primary, upper primary, and Kasturba Gandhi schools till November 25.
- The campaign’s theme focuses on ‘Gender Equality’ and ‘Care and Support.'
- The aim of the theme is for equal opportunities in families, homes, schools, sports, careers, healthcare, and child protection facilities, as well as in the community and public life.
- During this period, a team comprising student representatives, members of the Bal Sansad, and the Meena Manch will conduct a survey on child rights, gender equality, and child safety within and outside school premises.
Topic: State News/ Uttar Pradesh
13. Uttar Pradesh won the best state award in inland fisheries.
- In the inland fisheries category, Uttar Pradesh won the first prize.
- The award will be given during the Global Fisheries Conference 2023.
- Uttar Pradesh’s fish production has increased from 8.09 lakh metric tonnes in 2021 to 9.15 lakh metric tonnes in 2022.
- In terms of fish seeds, the production has increased from 27,128 lakh metric tonnes in 2021 to 36,187 lakh metric tonnes in 2022.
- In the last six years, fish production in the state has increased significantly.
- 31 projects are being implemented in Uttar Pradesh under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
- The Fishermen Accident Insurance Scheme has benefited 1,16,159 fishermen in the state.
- Under this scheme, assistance of ₹5 lakh is granted to each family of fishermen who are killed in accidents.
Topic: Personality in News
14. Sheynnis Palacios from Nicaragua became Miss Universe in 2023.
- Sheynnis Palacios has been crowned Miss Universe for the year 2023.
- The 72nd edition of the Miss Universe pageant was held in San Salvador, El Salvador.
- Miss Thailand Anntonia Porsild emerged as the first runner-up and Moraya Wilson was named as the second runner-up.
- Palacios is a mental health activist and audiovisual producer from Managua, Nicaragua.
- Palacios received the crown from USA's R'Bonney Gabriel, who won the title of Miss Universe for the year 2022.
- She started an initiative 'Understand Your Mind' in which she interviewes a specialist on emotional care in her television segments.