- 1. Lakshmi Ramakrishna Srinivas has been appointed as Additional Director of the South Indian Bank.
- 2. Israel and Hamas agreed to a 4-day ceasefire deal.
- 3. Pankaj Advani won the IBSF Billiards Championship 2023.
- 4. The second edition of Joint Military Exercise AUSTRAHIND-23 is being conducted between the Indian and Australian army contingents.
- 5. A fine of Rs 10 lakh on Air India was imposed by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation for failing to follow the rules.
- 6. World's largest single-site solar power plant inaugurated by the United Arab Emirates.
- 7. Inland Waterways Authority of India signed an MoU with Amazon Seller Services Private Limited (Amazon) in New Delhi.
- 8. The first edition of the Khelo India Para Games will be held in New Delhi from 10 to 17 December.
- 9. President Droupadi Murmu launched the National Education Campaign titled “New Education for New India”.
- 10. ASEAN-India Millet Festival hosted by the Indian Mission to ASEAN in Jakarta.
- 11. A rare metal discovered by IIT-Ropar researchers in Sutlej.
- 12. Transgender Players banned by ICC from International Women's Cricket.
- 13. DRDO and the Indian Navy conducted trials of the first indigenously developed Naval Anti-Ship Missile.
- 14. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee named Sourav Ganguly as the new brand ambassador of West Bengal.
BIGGEST SALE EVER get 35% Off
Use Coupon code FEB24
Topic: National Appointments
1. Lakshmi Ramakrishna Srinivas has been appointed as Additional Director of the South Indian Bank.
- Lakshmi Ramakrishna Srinivas assumed the charge of Additional Director at South Indian Bank.
- She will be the non-executive independent director for three years from 20 November 2023.
- During her career, she has served in various high-ranking positions including the Directorship of State Bank Staff College.
- Shas 38 years of experience in the banking sector.
- Earlier, she was the Chief General Manager of the State Bank of India.
- South Indian Bank is a private-sector bank. It is headquartered in Thrissur, Kerala.
- South Indian Bank commenced its operation on 29 January 1929.
Topic: International News
2. Israel and Hamas agreed to a 4-day ceasefire deal.
- As per the deal, 50 women and children would be freed by Hamas while 150 Palestinians would be released from Israeli jails.
- Israel-Hamas 4-day ceasefire deal will be the first halt in the ongoing conflict, which was started on 7 October.
- The deal will increase the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza.
- Israel said it would extend the ceasefire by one day for every 10 additional hostages that Hamas releases.
- As per the deal, Israel will stop military vehicle movement and allow people to travel from north to south along Salah al-Din Road.
- The deal was mediated by Qatar, Egypt and USA.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel will not end war on Gaza.
- Around 1.7 million Palestinians have been displaced and more than 14000 were killed so far in this war.
3. Pankaj Advani won the IBSF Billiards Championship 2023.
- Pankaj Advani won the IBSF World Billiards Championship title in Doha. It was his 26th world title.
- He defeated opponent Sourav Kothari with a 1000-416 margin in the final.
- Kothari took the initial lead and was going strong but faltered on a couple of easy chances.
- Advani won his first world title in 2003. He is the only player to win world titles in all formats of both billiards and snooker.
- He has won the 'point format’ championship on eight occasions while the 'long format' for nine times.
- IBSF World Billiards Championship is a premier, international, non-professional tournament of billiards.
4. The second edition of Joint Military Exercise AUSTRAHIND-23 is being conducted between the Indian and Australian army contingents.
- On 22 November, the Indian Armed Forces contingent of 81 personnel arrived in Australia for exercises.
- The exercise is being conducted in Perth, Australia from 22 November to 06 December 2023.
- The Indian Army team includes 60 soldiers from a battalion of Gorkha Rifles.
- The Australian Army contingent of 60 personnel is from the 13th Brigade.
- From the Indian side, an officer of the Indian Navy and 20 personnel of the Indian Air Force are also participating in it.
- The Australian contingent includes 20 personnel each from the Royal Australian Navy and the Royal Australian Air Force.
- In 2022, the exercise AUSTRAHIND was launched, and the first edition was held in Mahajan, Rajasthan.
- It is planned to make it an annual training program to be conducted alternately in India and Australia.
- The exercise aims to foster collaborative partnerships and share best practices between both sides.
- The exercise will also promote interoperability while conducting multi-sector operations in urban and semi-urban areas under UN Chapter VII on Peacekeeping Operations.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Corporates and Company
5. A fine of Rs 10 lakh on Air India was imposed by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation for failing to follow the rules.
- On 22 November, DGCA fined Air India for the second time for not following compensation rules.
- In May and September 2023, DGCA had inspected domestic flight operators at Delhi, Kochi, and Bangalore airports.
- Its objective was to find out whether the airlines were following DGCA regulations related to passenger amenities or not.
- During inspection, it was found that Air India Airlines was not following the provisions given in the rules of DGCA.
- A show cause notice was issued to Air India in this regard but the company did not give a satisfactory reply.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
6. World's largest single-site solar power plant inaugurated by the United Arab Emirates.
- The world's largest single-site solar power plant has been inaugurated ahead of the upcoming United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP28).
- The two-gigawatt capacity Al Dhafra solar photovoltaic power project is 35 kilometers from Abu Dhabi and will generate electricity for approximately two lakh homes.
- The plant is expected to emit 2.4 million tonnes of carbon emissions annually.
- Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Ruler of Abu Dhabi inaugurated the project.
- The project was developed by Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar) and its partners Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA), EDF Renewables, and JinkoPower.
- Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) has procured this project.
- The project broke records in terms of cost for utility-scale solar projects.
- The project is in line with the UAE's Net Zero 2050 target, strengthening its leadership in solar energy production on a per capita basis.
- The project is also a testament to the UAE's commitment to hosting a successful COP28.
- From November 30 to December 12, 2023, the country will host the United Nations Climate Change Conference.
(Source: News on AIR)
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks
|October Monthly Current Affairs
|September Monthly Current Affairs
|August Monthly Current Affairs
|July Monthly Current Affairs
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
7. Inland Waterways Authority of India signed an MoU with Amazon Seller Services Private Limited (Amazon) in New Delhi.
- The MoU was signed to promote cargo movement and transportation of customer shipments and products through inland waterways using the River Ganga (National Waterway 1).
- The first ship carrying e-commerce cargo will soon be dispatched from Patna to Kolkata.
- This collaboration between IWAI and Amazon marks significant progress in furthering the transportation of e-commerce cargo through our inland waterways.
- The partnership seeks to harness the efficiency and sustainability of water transport to optimize logistics, reduce environmental footprint and boost economic growth.
- According to the World Bank report, rail and road transport consume 18.5% and 91.6% more fuel respectively compared to water transport, making it the most environmentally friendly mode of transport.
- To accelerate water transportation within the country, Sagarmala has taken up 113 projects worth Rs 7,030 crore related to RORO/ROPAX and inland water transportation.
- Of these projects, 15 projects worth Rs 1,100 crore have been completed and 32 projects worth Rs 3,900 crore are under implementation.
- 126 MMT cargo handled through inland waterways by 2023.
- Indian Maritime Vision-2030 was launched during the Indian Maritime Summit- 2021.
- Under this, the ministry aims to increase the volume of cargo transported through inland waterways to more than 200 MMT by the year 2030.
(Source: News on AIR)
8. The first edition of the Khelo India Para Games will be held in New Delhi from 10 to 17 December.
- On 22 November, it was announced by Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur.
- Over 1,350 participants from 32 states and union territories will participate across 7 disciplines.
- Shri Thakur said that this is going to be a game-changer in our quest to improve para-sports in our country and identify and assist talented specially-abled athletes.
- Last month, India's para-athletes performed brilliantly at the Para Asian Games and finished the competition with a total of 111 medals including 29 gold, 31 silver, and 51 bronze.
- India finished fifth in the medal table in athletics by winning 55 medals with 18 gold, 17 silver, and 20 bronze.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
9. President Droupadi Murmu launched the National Education Campaign titled “New Education for New India”.
- President Droupadi Murmu launched the “New Education for New India” campaign organized by Brahma Kumaris at Sambalpur.
- The main aim of the campaign is to inculcate values and uplift the consciousness of students for a better society.
- President Droupadi Murmu launched this campaign on the concluding day of her three-day visit to Odisha.
- She said that moral education helps in building life and brings positive changes in society.
- She inaugurated the L&T Skill Training Hub in Mayurbhanj, Odisha. It has a multipurpose hall, e-learning hall, digital training room, and separate hostel facilities for boys and girls.
- She also addressed the 36th Annual Conference and Literary Festival of All India Santali Writers' Association at Baripada, Odisha.
(Source: News on AIR)
10. ASEAN-India Millet Festival hosted by the Indian Mission to ASEAN in Jakarta.
- The Indian Mission to ASEAN along with the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare hosted the ASEAN-India Millet Festival in Jakarta from November 22-26, 2023
- This festival has been celebrated as part of the 'International Year of Millets 2023'.
- The food festival started by showcasing culinary skills through innovative millet dishes and featuring participation from Millet-based Food Producer Organisations, and start-ups.
- The five-day festival is being organized in line with the ASEAN-India Joint Leaders’ Statement adopted at the 20th ASEAN-India Summit.
- Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam are the 10 members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- ASEAN was established in 8 August 1967. Its headquarters are in Jakarta, Indonesia.
11. A rare metal discovered by IIT-Ropar researchers in Sutlej.
- The presence of tantalum, a rare metal has been detected by a team of researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar in the Sutlej River sand in Punjab.
- This rare metal is used in the manufacturing of electronic components.
- A team headed by Dr Resmi Sebastian, assistant professor at the institute’s Civil Engineering Department made the discovery.
- The researchers were working on an unrelated project when they noticed the metal in samples collected from the Sutlej basin.
- A research paper was published in January this year, after Dr. Sebastian's team conducted experiments in July 2021.
- Tantalum is a hard, lustrous transition metal that is highly corrosion-resistant.
- The Union Mines Ministry's annual report for 2020–21 identified it as "one of the 12 critical and strategic minerals".
12. Transgender Players banned by ICC from International Women's Cricket.
- On November 21, the International Cricket Council (ICC) banned transgender cricketers from participating in women's cricket at the highest level in a major policy decision.
- Transgender players who have undergone any form of male puberty will be banned from competing in international women's sports, whether or not they have undergone surgery or gender transition treatment.
- The ICC said that it is taking this decision for the integrity of the international women's game and the safety of the players.
- The Board finalized the new policy after a nine-month consultation process with cricket stakeholders, with the final decision taken by the Board.
- The decision came two months after Canada's Danielle McGahey became the first transgender cricketer to feature in an official international match when she featured in the Women's T20 match against Brazil.
- However, she will no longer be able to participate in women's international games.
- Transgender athletes have been banned from taking part in elite women's competitions in other sports such as swimming, cycling, athletics, rugby league, and rugby union.
13. DRDO and the Indian Navy conducted trials of the first indigenously developed Naval Anti-Ship Missile.
- Indian Navy in association with the Defence Research and Development Organisation successfully conducted the Guided Flight Trials of the first indigenously developed Naval Anti-Ship Missile from Sea King 42B helicopter.
- It is an important step towards achieving self-reliance in niche missile technology.
- The missile integrates various advanced technologies including an indigenous launcher for the helicopter and guidance system comprising cutting-edge navigation and integrated avionics.
- This missile has a range of around 500 kilometres, which is more than the range of 350-400 kilometres of the Russian cruise missile BrahMos.
- In May 2022, India successfully tested its first indigenously built anti-ship missile of the short-range category.
- In March 2023, the Indian Navy successfully conducted MRSAM (Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile) firing from INS Visakhapatnam.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ West Bengal
14. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee named Sourav Ganguly as the new brand ambassador of West Bengal.
- Former Indian cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly has been named brand ambassador of West Bengal.
- He has taken the place of Shah Rukh Khan.
- Mamata Banerjee made this announcement at the Bengal Global Business Summit.
- Bengal Global Business Summit 2023 has been inaugurated in Kolkata.
- Mamata Banerjee also introduced initiatives promoting biofuels. She also launched a sub-sea cable landing station in Digha.
- She also announced new policies including plans to double the state's exports, modernize its logistics and promote renewable energy manufacturing.
- Mukesh Ambani of Reliance Industries also participated in the summit. He committed an additional investment of ₹20,000 crore in West Bengal over the next three years.