Daily Current Affairs and GK | 25 November 2022
- 1. India successfully tested an intermediate range ballistic Agni-3 missile.
- 2. ‘Kadalekai Parishe’ festival celebrated in Karnataka.
- 3. Anwar Ibrahim has been appointed as the 10th Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- 4. India's Poornima Devi Barman has been awarded the United Nation's highest environmental award- Champions of the Earth.
- 5. AYUSH market has grown from US$ 3 billion to US$ 18 billion.
- 6. 13th edition of the bilateral exercise 'Naseem Al Bahr' (Sea Breeze) was conducted between the Indian Navy (IN) and the Royal Navy of Oman (RNO).
- 7. Conference of Parties to CITES has adopted India’s proposal for transferring Leith’s Softshell Turtle from Appendix II to Appendix I of CITES.
- 8. FICCI honoured Rajendra Singh Pawar with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award 2022’ at the 8th FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards ceremony.
- 9. ‘Third Global High-Level Ministerial Conference on Antimicrobial Resistance’ held in Oman.
- 10. Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Exercise 'Samanvay 2022' to commence on 28 November.
- 11. AICTE has appointed T G Sitharam as its chairman.
- 12. International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women 2022: 25 November
- 13. Krishithon 2022 inaugurated by Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde on 24 November.
- 14. Lieutenant General Asim Munir has been appointed as new Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in Pakistan on 24 November.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
1. India successfully tested an intermediate range ballistic Agni-3 missile.
- India successfully carried out training launch of the nuclear-capable Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) Agni-3 from APJ Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
- The launch has been carried out under the aegis of the Strategic Forces Command for a predetermined range and validated all operational parameters of the system.
- Agni-3 missile is 16-meter long weighing more than 48 tonnes. It has a range of 3000 kilometres and is capable of carrying a payload of over 1.5 tonnes.
- The flight trajectory of the missile was tracked by various radars, telemetry observation stations, electro-optic instruments and naval ships.
- The two stage solid propellant is part of India’s Nuclear Command Authority and has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The first developmental trial of Agni-3 was conducted in July 2006.
Topic: State News/ Karnataka
2. ‘Kadalekai Parishe’ festival celebrated in Karnataka.
- After a gap of two years, ‘Kadalekai Parishe’, also known as the groundnut festival, has been celebrated in Karnataka.
- Kadalekai Parishe has 500-years-old history. It has been inaugurated by Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai.
- This year, 3,000 people from different parts of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and also Tamil Nadu took part in the festival.
- It is a festival for welcoming the first seasonal yield of the groundnut crop.
- Participating farmers offered groundnuts to the idols of Lords Ganesha and Nandi in the temple.
- Other festivals of Karnataka - Kambala Festival, Hampi Festival, Pattadakal Dance Festival, Vairamundi Festival, etc.
Topic: International Appointments
3. Anwar Ibrahim has been appointed as the 10th Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- Malaysia's King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah appointed long-time opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim as Prime Minister.
- On November 24, the 75-year-old veteran politician sworn in as Prime Minister.
- In the weekend election, Anwar's Pakatan Harapan (PH) alliance won the most seats, but fell short of the 112-seat legislative majority needed to establish a government.
- It is a country in Southeast Asia.
- Its capital is Kuala Lumpur. Its currency is Ringgit.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
4. India's Poornima Devi Barman has been awarded the United Nation's highest environmental award- Champions of the Earth.
- She has been awarded the UN Environment Programme’s (UNEP) 2022 Champions of the Earth award in the Entrepreneurial Vision category.
- Champions of the Earth honor the innovative ways used by award winners all across the world to promote nature's incredible capacity for renewal.
- This year alone, UNEP recorded nearly 2,200 nominations from around the world for the prestigious award.
- Purnima Devi Barman is an Indian wildlife biologist who devoted her life to the preservation of the Greater Adjutant Stork, an endangered wetland bird.
- She is the founder of Hargila Sena and is the Senior Project Manager of Avifauna Research and Conservation Division, Aranyak.
- She started a campaign to protect storks in 2007, focusing on villages in Assam's Kamrup district.
Topic: National News
5. AYUSH market has grown from US$ 3 billion to US$ 18 billion.
- On 23 November, Union AYUSH Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said addressed the 6th Confederation of Indian Industry-CII, AYUSH Conclave 2022 in New Delhi.
- He said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi AYUSH market has grown from USD 3 billion to USD 18 billion.
- He said that AYUSH can play an important role in realizing the dream of 'New India' by providing holistic health and medical care to the citizens.
- Shri Sonowal informed that several reforms are underway in research strategies, nature of practice and education, which will lead to growth in this field.
- He urged the new generation to study AYUSH systems in depth.
6. 13th edition of the bilateral exercise 'Naseem Al Bahr' (Sea Breeze) was conducted between the Indian Navy (IN) and the Royal Navy of Oman (RNO).
- Indian Navy's Guided Missile Stealth Frigate, INS Trikand, Offshore Patrol Vessel, INS Sumitra, and Maritime Patrol Aircraft, (MPA) Dornier took part in the exercise.
- The exercise was conducted off the coast of Oman from 19 to 24 Nov 22.
- The exercise had three phases: harbor phase, sea phase, and debrief.
- During the harbor phase, activities included professional interactions between IN and RNO operations teams, as well as friendly sports matches between the two navies.
- The sea phase consisted of tactical maritime exercises, including surface action, air defense, maritime surveillance, and interdiction/VBSS.
- The debrief phase of the exercise took place on November 23 at the RNO Naval Base in Duqm.
- In 1993, the first IN-RNO exercise was conducted.
- This year marks 30 years of bilateral exercises between IN-RNO.
- INS Trikand is a frontline frigate having a range of weapons and sensors. It is a part of the Indian Navy’s Western Fleet, based at Mumbai. INS Sumitra is a multirole offshore patrol vessel. It is part of the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy, based at Visakhapatnam.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
|August Monthly Current Affairs||July Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Environment and Ecology
7. Conference of Parties to CITES has adopted India’s proposal for transferring Leith’s Softshell Turtle from Appendix II to Appendix I of CITES.
- India’s proposal has been adopted by the Conference of Parties to CITES in its 19th Meeting at Panama.
- This will make sure that international trade in captive-bred specimens only takes place from registered facilities.
- This will also ensure that illegal trade of the species is heavily penalised.
- Leith’s Softshell Turtle:
- It is a large fresh water soft-shelled turtle.
- It is endemic to peninsular India. It inhabits rivers and reservoirs.
- It is illegally consumed and poached within India. It is also illegally traded abroad for meat.
- It is estimated that its population have declined by 90% over the past 30 years.
- It is categorized as ‘Critically Endangered’ by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
8. FICCI honoured Rajendra Singh Pawar with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award 2022’ at the 8th FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards ceremony.
- 8th FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards ceremony was held in New Delhi on November 17, 2022.
- Rajendra Singh Pawar is the Chairman and Founder of NIIT.
- The award recognizes his contribution and work in the field of education and creating IT Training industry.
- Pawar has been awarded the Padma Bhushan by the President of India in 2011.
- He has also been honoured as the ‘IT man of the Year’ by Dataquest (an IT industry journal) in 1998.
- FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards were instituted in 2014.
- They were instituted to recognize and felicitate the achievements and excellent work done by the institutions and individuals in the higher education space.
- National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT):
- It was set up in 1981. It is headquartered in Gurgaon.
- NIIT has been featured as the only company in Educational Services Industry in the Fortune India 500 list 2020.
- It was recognised as “Best Education Company to work with” at Indian Education Congress & Awards 2020.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
9. ‘Third Global High-Level Ministerial Conference on Antimicrobial Resistance’ held in Oman.
- Union Minister for state for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar, participated in the ‘Third Global High-Level Ministerial Conference on Antimicrobial Resistance’.
- The conference was held in Muscat, Oman on 24th and 25th November.
- ‘The AMR Pandemic: From Policy to One Health Action’ was the theme of the conference.
- Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar also held discussion with policymakers, key global experts, representatives from the private sector, civil society, etc. on antimicrobial resistance.
- This will enhance international cooperation on tackling Antimicrobial Resistance.
- Antimicrobial resistance:
- It is the ability of microorganisms to persist or grow in the presence of drugs designed to inhibit or kill them.
- It occurs when microorganisms change when they are exposed to antimicrobial drugs.
- It is one of the greatest threats to global public health.
10. Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Exercise 'Samanvay 2022' to commence on 28 November.
- The Annual Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Exercise 'Samanvay 2022' will be organized at Air Force Station Agra from 28 to 30 November 2022.
- Samanvay 2022 exercise will give an opportunity to exchange domain knowledge, experience and best practices with the participating ASEAN member countries.
- The exercise will comprise a seminar on Disaster Management and a 'Multi Agency Exercise' comprising static and flying displays of various HADR assets and a 'Table Top Exercise'.
- The main aim of the exercise is to assess the efficacy of institutional Disaster Management structures and contingency measures.
- Various national and regional stakeholders involved in Disaster Management including NDMA, NIDM, NDRF, DRDO, BRO, etc. will take part in the exercise.
- The exercise will help in effective communication, interoperability, cooperation and successful conduct of HADR.
Topic: National Appointments
11. AICTE has appointed T G Sitharam as its chairman.
- He will hold the post of chairman in the All-India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for three years or before attaining the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- He succeeded UGC chairman Jagadesh Kumar, who had been acting as interim AICTE chairman since Anil Sahasrabuddhe's retirement on September 1, 2021.
- He was working as Director at IIT Guwahati before joining the AICTE.
- His appointment comes at a time when the education ministry is finalizing a bill that aims to merge the AICTE and the UGC into a super regulator called the Higher Education Commission of India.
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE):
- It is a statutory body which was set up in 1945.
- It works under the Department of Higher Education.
- It is responsible for the planning and coordination of the technical education and management education systems in India.
- 10 Statutory Boards of Studies assist AICTE.
Topic: Important Days
12. International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women 2022: 25 November
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is celebrated every year on November 25.
- It is celebrated to increase awareness in respect of violence against women.
- The theme of International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women 2022 is "UNITE! Activism to End Violence against Women & Girls."
- The United Nations General Assembly designated November 25 as International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women in the year 2000.
- November 25 was chosen as the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women to honor the Mirabai Sisters, political activists of the Dominion Republic.
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
13. Krishithon 2022 inaugurated by Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde on 24 November.
- The 15th edition of agriculture expo Krishithon 2022 is being held in Nashik after a gap of two years.
- The expo will be organized from 24 to 28 November.
- The expo will focus on new agricultural technology being used around the world, as well as felicitate young farmers and seminars on various issues.
- At the event, over 300 agriculture companies will showcase their innovation and ideas.
- Human Service Foundation has been organizing Krishithon since its inception in 1998.
- Nashik is the wine capital of India and the agricultural capital of Maharashtra.
- Nashik is the largest producer of grapes, onions, fresh vegetables and pomegranates in India.
Topic: International Appointments
14. Lieutenant General Asim Munir has been appointed as new Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in Pakistan on 24 November.
- He will succeed outgoing Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, who will retire on 29 November after completing six years in office.
- PM Mohammad Shahbaz Sharif has also appointed Lieutenant General Sahir Shamshad Mirza as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (CJCSC).
- The CJCSC is the highest authority in the armed forces hierarchy.
- However, the COAS has the primary powers over mobilisation of troops, appointment, and transfer decisions, which makes the person holding the post the most powerful in the military.
- The new COAS Lt Gen Munir will be the 17th Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan since the formation of the country in 1947.
- On November 27, Lt Gen Munir was due to retire.
- However, after his appointment to the post of Army Chief, he will continue to serve the country for the next three years.
(Source: News on AIR)