- 1. Uzbekistan hosted Central & South Asia Connectivity Conference 2021.
- 2. D. Subbarao released a book titled ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’.
- 3. Government proposes National Research Foundation to strengthen research ecosystem in India.
- 4. Nasir Kamal appointed as Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- 5. B S Yediyurappa resigns as Karnataka Chief Minister.
- 6. IGBC Green Platinum rating has been awarded to Kandla SEZ.
- 7. Indian Naval Ship ‘Talwar’ participating in Exercise Cutlass Express 2021.
- 8. Pramod Bhagat named as Differently Abled Sportsman of the Year for 2019.
- 9. India entered in top ten list of agricultural produce exporters of 2019.
- 10. UN General Assembly adopts “Vision for Everyone” resolution.
- 11. ISRO’s merchandiser programme started with 8 companies onboard.
- 12. Sunseap Group plans to build world’s largest floating solar farm near Batam in Indonesia.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
1. Uzbekistan hosted Central & South Asia Connectivity Conference 2021.
- Uzbekistan hosted an International Conference titled “Central and South Asia: Regional Connectivity Challenges and Opportunities” at Tashkent.
- It was attended by delegates from over 40 countries and 30 organizations including President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani, and Minister of External Affairs of India Dr. S. Jaishankar.
- President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev emphasized upon the need of strengthening historical connections between Central Asia and South Asia. He also said that in an era of global geopolitical transformations ties between Central Asia and South Asia can play a key role.
- It was also addressed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. India’s External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar becomes the first to address the plenary session of the conference.
- Dr. S. Jaishankar mentioned the importance of Chabahar port for Central Asian countries during his address and said that economic growth is driven by connectivity, commerce, and contacts.
Topic: Books and Authors
2. D. Subbarao released a book titled ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’.
- Former Reserve Bank of India Governor D. Subbarao released a book titled ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’.
- It is written by a retired IAS officer C.K. Gariyali. She is the founder trustee of EDIT (Equitas Development Initiative Trust).
- In the book, she has written about the role of Equitas in empowering over 30 lakh women by lending them. Equitas also helped women in setting up micro-enterprises.
- She supported the Equitas model in her book. It is dedicated to all the customers, employees, shareholders, and every single person who is associated with Equitas.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
3. Government proposes National Research Foundation to strengthen research ecosystem in India.
- Government has proposed National Research Foundation (NRF) to strengthen research ecosystem in India.
- NRF will improve linkages between R&D, academia and industry. The total proposed outlay of NRF is Rs 50,000 crore over a period of five years.
- Its main objective is to seed, grow and facilitate research at academic institutions, particularly at universities and colleges, where research capacity is currently in a nascent stage.
- It will also fund high-impact, large-scale, multi-investigator, multi-institution and, in some cases, interdisciplinary or multi-nation projects.
- The projects would be funded in collaboration with relevant Ministries, Departments, and other Governmental and non-Governmental entities, especially industry.
- Union Minister of Education, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan informed Lok Sabha that government has taken various steps to promote more and more use of regional languages in education under National Education Policy 2020 (NEP), which was released on 29-07-2020.
4. Nasir Kamal appointed as Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Nasir Kamal has been appointed as Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) in the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- He has been appointed till his superannuation on July 31, 2022. He is a 1986 batch IPS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- Prime Minister headed Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has cleared his appointment as Director General of BCAS.
Topic: Indian Polity
5. B S Yediyurappa resigns as Karnataka Chief Minister.
- B.S. Yediyurappa has resigned as the chief minister of Karnataka. He submits his resignation to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- B.S. Yediyurappa has served as Chief Minister for four terms. He became Chief Minister of Karnataka for the first time in 2008.
- He is an MLA from the Shikaripura constituency in Shimoga district. He has won the MLA election eight times.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
6. IGBC Green Platinum rating has been awarded to Kandla SEZ.
- Kandla becomes the first Green SEZ. It has been awarded IGBC Platinum Rating.
- It has received the IGBC Platinum Rating for Green master planning, policy initiatives and implementation of green infrastructure.
- The recognition will promote the green initiative and efforts in all other SEZs in the country.
- Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) green building rating programmes cover commercial, residential, factory buildings, etc. IGBC along with the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoCI) has prepared the Green SEZ guidelines.
Topic: Defense News
7. Indian Naval Ship ‘Talwar’ participating in Exercise Cutlass Express 2021.
- Cutlass Express 2021 exercise is scheduled to be conducted from 26 July 2021 to 06 August 2021 along the East Coast of Africa. Indian Naval Ship Talwar is participating in this exercise on behalf of India.
- Cutlass Express 2021 exercise is being organized to promote national and regional maritime security in East Africa and the Western Indian Ocean.
- 12 Eastern African countries, US, UK, India, and various international organisations are participating in this exercise. Indian Navy is participating in the exercise in a ‘trainer role’.
- The main focus of the exercise is on East Africa’s coastal regions and it will help in improving maritime law enforcement capacity and interoperability between the regional navies.
- Participating countries will take part in various maritime security operations. Information sharing will be one of the key focuses of exercise.
- Indian Naval Ship Talwar’s participation in the exercise will strengthen India's maritime policy in the Indian Ocean region and vision SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region).
8. Pramod Bhagat named as Differently Abled Sportsman of the Year for 2019.
- Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat has been named as the Differently Abled Sportsman of the Year at Indian Sports Honour for 2019.
- Pramod Bhagat is also participating in the Tokyo Paralympics. Earlier this year, he had won two gold medals and a bronze at the Dubai Para Badminton Tournament.
- Indian Sports Honour awards are given by the RPSG Group in association with the Virat Kohli Foundation. It was founded in 2017.
- It felicitates sportsperson for their achievements, performance, and contribution to the sport.
9. India entered in top ten list of agricultural produce exporters of 2019.
- According to a World Trade Organisation (WTO) report, India was one of the top ten agricultural produce exporters in 2019. India was on the ninth position with a share of 3.1% in global agricultural exports in 2019.
- In 2019, the European Union was at the top spot with a share of 16.1% in global agricultural exports.
- India becomes the largest exporter of rice in 2019 and with 7.6%, India was the third-largest cotton exporter. India was on the eighth position in the export of meat.
- The US was on the second spot with a share of 13.9% in global agricultural exports.
- Brazil was the third-largest agricultural exporter with a share of 7.8% while China was on the fourth position in 2019.
- The top 10 exporters contribute more than 96% in the global agricultural exports.
Topic: International News
10. UN General Assembly adopts “Vision for Everyone” resolution.
- UN General Assembly has adopted “Vision for Everyone” resolution.
- The resolution was sponsored by Bangladesh, Antigua, and Ireland, and co-sponsored by more than 100 countries. UN General Assembly resolutions are not legally binding.
- It is UN General Assembly’s first-ever resolution on vision.
- Bangladesh’s UN Ambassador Rabab Fatima introduced the resolution.
- Rabab Fatima said that 90% of the 1.1 billion people worldwide with vision loss live in low- and middle-income countries and 55% of blind people are women and girls.
- As per the resolution, at least 2 billion people are living with vision impairment or blindness.
- As per the resolution, half of the global population is expected to be living with a vision impairment by 2050.
- Hong Kong philanthropist James Chen campaigned for the resolution for the past two decades.
- Related SDG: SDG 3 (Ensure Healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages).
- UN General Assembly:
- It was formed in 1945. It is headquartered in New York, USA. It is one of the six principal organs of UN.
- It is responsible for the UN budget, appointment of the non-permanent members to the Security Council, and appointment of the Secretary-General of UN.
Topic: Space and IT
11. ISRO’s merchandiser programme started with 8 companies onboard.
- Indian Space Research Organisation's space-themed merchandise programme in partnership with industry was started with 8 companies onboard.
- Authorised products connected to ISROs missions and work, like scale models, T-shirts, mugs, space-themed educational games, and science toys can be purchased now.
- This brand promotion exercise can play an important role in creating awareness and kindling interest of students, children and public in space science and technology.
- Eight companies have so far registered with ISRO on a non-exclusive basis with a registration fee for ISRO-theme based articles / models.
- The companies include Indic Inspirations (Pune), 1947IND (Bengaluru), and Ankur Hobby Centre (Ahmedabad).
- As part of the partnership, ISRO will share the themes, general arrangement drawings, images or any other design so that these companies can use them in appropriate manner.
- The registered companies will avoid using the ISRO identifier, imagery, etc. on products such as doormats, slippers, or any such items, which affect the ISRO’s reputation.
- The rates for merchandise need to be reasonable as per market conditions, as there is no brand value charged by ISRO to registered companies.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
12. Sunseap Group plans to build world’s largest floating solar farm near Batam in Indonesia.
- Sunseap Group has planned to build world’s largest floating solar farm near Batam in Indonesia.
- The floating solar farm will have a capacity of 2.2 gigawatts (peak). It will cover 1600 hectares (4000 acres) of the Duriangkang Reservoir on Batam Island. It will cost about $2 billion to construct.
- The construction of project is due to begin in 2022 and is planned for completion in 2024.
- Floating solar farm is more efficient than land-based solar systems because the water below the panels helps keep them cool when exposed to strong sunlight.
- Sunseap Group is a solar energy system developer, owner, and operator in Singapore.