- 1. World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- 2. Government to set up National Centre of Excellence for Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics.
- 3. Harrapan City ‘Dholavira’ gets UNESCO World Heritage site tag.
- 4. 12th Edition of Indo-Russia joint military Exercise INDRA 2021 to be held at Volgograd, Russia.
- 5. Madrid's iconic Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro Park added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
- 6. Basavaraj Bommai taken oath as new Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- 7. Rakesh Asthana appointed as new Delhi Police Commissioner.
- 8. Parliament passed ‘Marine Aids to Navigation Bill 2021’.
- 9. Madhya Pradesh government prepared Devaranya Yojana for improving health of tribals.
- 10. Assam-Mizoram border dispute escalated violence in the region.
- 11. Puri becomes first city to provide 24-hour quality drinking tap water.
- 12. CRPF celebrated its 83rd foundation day on 27 July.
Topic: Important Days
1. World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- 28 July is observed every year as World Hepatitis Day. It is observed to raise awareness about hepatitis.
- It is also observed to mark the birth anniversary of Nobel-prize-winning scientist Dr. Baruch Blumberg.
- This year’s World Hepatitis Day theme is “Hepatitis can’t wait”.
- Dr. Baruch Blumberg discovered the hepatitis B virus (HBV) and developed a diagnostic test and vaccine for the virus.
- Around 1.34 million get affected by this disease every year. WHO aims to reduce new hepatitis infections by 90% and deaths by 65% between 2016 and 2030.
Topic: National News
2. Government to set up National Centre of Excellence for Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics.
- The government has decided to set up a National Centre of Excellence for Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics.
- It will be established in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
- At present, Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute and Film and Television Institute of India offer courses on Animation and VFX.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said that Media and Entertainment sector is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the country.
- India is the largest South Asian Film Market. India has also audio-visual co-production treaties with 15 countries.
- In 2024, television will contribute up to 40% in the Indian media industry, 13% by print media, 12% by digital advertising, 9% by cinema, and 8% each by OTT and Gaming sectors.
Topic: Art and Culture
3. Harrapan City ‘Dholavira’ gets UNESCO World Heritage site tag.
- Dholavira, the Harappan City in the Rann of Kutch, has been inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage list. It became the 40th World Heritage site in India.
- UNESCO has announced its decision during the 44th session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee in Fuzhou, China.
- Dholavira was on UNESCO’s tentative list since 2014.
- Recently, Ramappa Temple located in Telangana was also inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage site list.
- Since 2014, India has added 10 new World Heritage sites. The Government is committed to promoting Indian Culture and heritage.
- India has now 40 world heritage sites, which includes 32 cultural, 7 natural, and one mixed site.
4. 12th Edition of Indo-Russia joint military Exercise INDRA 2021 to be held at Volgograd, Russia.
- 12th Edition of Indo-Russia joint military Exercise INDRA 2021 will be held at Volgograd, which is a city in southwest Russia on the western bank of the Volga River.
- The military exercise will be held from 01 to 13 August 2021. 250 personnel from both nations will take part in it.
- It will involve the conduct of counter-terror operations under UN mandate by a joint force against international terror groups.
- Exercise INDRA 21 will further strengthen mutual confidence and interoperability between the Indian & Russian Armies.
- It will enable sharing of best practices between the contingents of both countries.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Art and Culture
5. Madrid's iconic Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro Park added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
- Madrid's iconic Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro Park have been added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
- Paseo is a wide tree-lined avenue that's home to prominent buildings such as the Prad o Museum. Buen Retiro Park is a 125-hectare green space.
- The addition of Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro Park to the list of World Heritage Sites is recognition of the key role they played in Madrid's history.
- Madrid is Spain’s capital and most populous city. Buen Retiro Park is one of the largest parks in Madrid.
Topic: Indian Polity
6. Basavaraj Bommai taken oath as new Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Basavaraj Bommai becomes the new Chief Minister of Karnataka. His oath has been administered by Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- He is the 23rd Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- He was the home minister in the BS Yediyurappa government. He is also from the politically influential Lingayat community.
- He is a three-time MLA from Shiggaon and two-time MLC.
7. Rakesh Asthana appointed as new Delhi Police Commissioner.
- Rakesh Asthana, a former officer of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), has been appointed as the new Delhi Police Commissioner.
- Rakesh Asthana previously headed the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- He is one of the few officers to become Delhi Police Commissioner from the Outside of AGMUT cadre.
- The appointment committee of the Cabinet has also approved the extension of Rakesh Asthana’s service for one year.
Topic: Indian Polity
8. Parliament passed ‘Marine Aids to Navigation Bill 2021’.
- Parliament passed the ‘Marine Aids to Navigation Bill 2021’. It will replace the Lighthouse Act 1927.
- It will help in incorporating the global best practices and technological developments in the field of Marine Aids to Navigation.
- The bill is part of the government’s approach to repeal colonial laws and replace them with new legislation in accordance to the need of the contemporary maritime industry.
- The administration and management of Lighthouse and Lightships is governed by the Lighthouse Act 1927 for safe navigation.
- The new Act will improve the legal framework for matters related to Aids to Navigation & Vessel Traffic Services and enhance the safety and efficiency of shipping.
Topic: State News/ Madhya Pradesh
9. Madhya Pradesh government prepared Devaranya Yojana for improving health of tribals.
- Madhya Pradesh government has prepared the Ayush-based economic upgradation scheme – Devaranya Yojana. Its main objective is to improve the health and livelihood of tribals.
- More than 360 new AYUSH health and wellness centers will be established in the state. Ayurvedic and Yunani dispensaries will be also upgraded.
- Under this scheme, the Madhya Pradesh government will promote wellness tourism, which will generate employment opportunities in tribal areas.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that medicinal plants should be cultivated across the state.
- Madhya Pradesh:
- It ranks second in terms of area in the country after Rajasthan.
- The Chief Minister is Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Governor is Mangubhai C. Patel.
- It has 29 seats in the Lok Sabha and 230 seats in the state legislative assembly.
Topic: National News
10. Assam-Mizoram border dispute escalated violence in the region.
- A recent clash has erupted along Assam and Mizoram border due to land dispute.
- Three districts of Mizoram – Kolasib, Mamit, and Aizawl – share 165 km boundary with three districts of Assam’s Barak Valley – Cachar, Hailkandi and Karimganj.
- Earlier, Mizoram was a district of Assam and known as Lushai Hills. Boundary demarcation in 1875 and 1933 are the main bone of contention between both states.
- The 1875 demarcation was derived from the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation (BEFR) Act, 1873.
- The 1933 demarcation marks a boundary between Lushai Hills, Cachar district, and Manipur. Mizoram do not accept this demarcation.
- According to Mizoram leaders, 1933 demarcation was made without consulting their chiefs.
- The dispute has increased after Mizoram become a state in 1987. Both states had signed an agreement to maintain the status quo.
Topic: National News
11. Puri becomes first city to provide 24-hour quality drinking tap water.
- Puri has become the first city in the country to provide 24-hour quality drinking water from the tap. It will benefit around 2.5 lakh residents.
- The water can be used without filtration from the tap for cooking and drinking purpose.
- Good drinking water improves health, living standards and the economy.
- Odisha’s budget allocation for clean water has become doubled in five years.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the ‘Sujal’ or drink-from-tap mission. It will be implemented in 14 cities of Odisha.
12. CRPF celebrated its 83rd foundation day on 27 July.
- India’s largest Central Armed Police Force, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) observed its 83rd foundation day on 27 July.
- It was raised on 27 July 1939 in Neemuch with a strength of one battalion. At present, it has more than 246 battalions.