- 1. 120 Startups and Innovators have been shortlisted for the XR Startup Program.
- 2. 3rd INTERPOL Young Global Police Leaders Programme began in New Delhi.
- 3. India signed an MoU with South Africa to translocate 12 cheetahs to the country.
- 4. EPFO has launched a massive outreach program in all districts across the country.
- 5. India has issued a notice to Pakistan for amendment in the Indus Water Treaty.
- 6. Data Privacy Day 2023: 28 January
- 7. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated National Logistics Portal (Marine).
- 8. The inaugural edition of the air defence exercise 'Veer Guardian 2023' concluded in Japan on 26 January 2023.
- 9. NITI Aayog, CBSE, Atal Innovation & Intel joined hands to promote education through AI.
- 10. Chhattisgarh government announced monthly allowance for unemployed people.
- 11. Indian pair of Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna finished second in mixed doubles at Australian Open.
- 12. Markets has shifted to T+1 settlement system from January 27.
- 13. Police Medals were given to 901 police personnel on the occasion of Republic Day, 2023.
- 14. Veteran actress and former MP Jamuna passed away at the age of 86 in Hyderabad.
Success September offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code SEP25
1. 120 Startups and Innovators have been shortlisted for the XR Startup Program.
- MeitY Startup Hub (MSH) and Meta have selected 120 Startups and innovators for the XR Startup Program.
- It is a program to nurture and promote Extended Reality (XR) technology startups and innovators.
- The XR Startup Program’s aims to boost the emerging tech ecosystem in the country.
- Among the selected startup, nearly 30% are from tier 2/3 cities while more than 20% of the cohort has women innovators and startups with women founders/ co-founders.
- Under the Accelerator Program, 40 early-stage start-ups working in XR technologies will get a grant of Rs 20 lakhs each.
- The innovators will receive the support to upscale from the R&D phase to developing workable products and services.
- MeitY Startup Hub (MSH):
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY).
- It is focused on building and strengthening the startup ecosystem.
- Meta Platforms Inc:
- It builds technology that helps people to connect, find communities and grow businesses.
- It is working towards augmented and virtual reality to build the next evolution in social technology.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
2. 3rd INTERPOL Young Global Police Leaders Programme began in New Delhi.
- It began on 25th January and will continue till 2nd February. About 59 participants from 44 countries are taking part in the programme.
- It is being organised by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- CBI Director Subodh Kumar Jaiswal said that the Young Global Police Leaders Programme is an inspirational platform for not only young police officers but also for youth in general.
- Rich professional capabilities, innovations and best practices developed by police in India can be a template for other countries to emulate.
- This event brings young police leaders from different countries to one place. It help them in understanding the international perspective.
- International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL):
- It is the world's largest international police organization with 195 members.
- It was formed in 1923.
- Its motto is connecting police for a safer world.
- It is headquartered in Lyon, France.
- Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi is the current president.
3. India signed an MoU with South Africa to translocate 12 cheetahs to the country.
- Under the MoU, a dozen cheetahs will be transported from this African country to Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh in February.
- South Africa will provide 12 cheetahs per year to India over the next eight to ten years.
- This agreement will be reviewed after five years.
- Out of 12 cheetahs, seven male and five female cheetahs will be brought to India.
- Most of the world's 7,000 cheetahs live in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.
- Namibia has the largest population of cheetahs in the world.
- As part of the cheetah reintroduction programme, the first batch of eight cheetahs (five females and three males) were brought to Kuno in 2022.
- Cheetahs are being reintroduced after they became extinct in India during the last century due to overhunting and habitat loss.
- In 1948, the last spotted cheetahs died in the Sal forests of the Koriya district of Chhattisgarh.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
4. EPFO has launched a massive outreach program in all districts across the country.
- Employees' Provident Fund Organization has launched a massive outreach program in all districts through 'Nidhi Aapke Nikat' program to expand its presence across the country.
- The objective of this program is to reach out to all the districts on 27th of every month and strengthen the relationship between the organization and its stakeholders.
- If the 27th of the month is a holiday, program will be conducted on the following working day.
- For this purpose, the organization organized camps in 685 districts on 27 January.
- Labor and Employment Secretary Aarti Ahuja e-launched the program from the EPFO Headquarters.
- More than 850 participants, including Members of Parliament, Members of Legislative Assemblies, CBT Members, Regional Committee Members, District Collectors and others, participated online in the event.
Topic: India and Its Neighbour
5. India has issued a notice to Pakistan for amendment in the Indus Water Treaty.
- India has informed Pakistan about its intention to amend the 62-year-old Indus Waters Treaty for the management of trans-border rivers.
- On 25 January, the Indian side conveyed the "notification of amendment" of the treaty through the commissioners of the Indus waters of both sides.
- India has called upon Pakistan to enter into inter-governmental talks within 90 days to rectify material violations of the treaty.
- For the first time since the treaty's signing in Karachi on September 19, 1960, this notice has started the process of amendments.
- The treaty was signed by then Pakistan president Mohammad Ayub Khan, Indian PM Jawaharlal Nehru, and William A. B. Illif of the World Bank.
- The treaty was signed after nine years of negotiations between India and Pakistan and mediated by the World Bank.
- It is the most durable treaty between the two countries, but has come under considerable strain in recent years, as bilateral relations have come to an all-time low due to terrorism and tensions related to Jammu and Kashmir.
- The notice has been issued as per provisions of Article XII (3) of the treaty regulating sharing of waters of cross-border rivers.
(Source: News on Air)
Topic: Important Days
6. Data Privacy Day 2023: 28 January
- Every year on 28 January, Data Privacy Day (also known as “Data Protection Day”) is celebrated.
- It is celebrated to raise awareness about the protection of personal data and privacy.
- This year 17th Data Privacy Day has been celebrated.
- The theme of Data Privacy Day 2023 is "Think Privacy First."
- It is celebrated to mark the anniversary of the “Convention 108”, which was signed on 28 January 1981. It is the first legally binding treaty for data privacy and protection.
- The Council of Europe started celebrating Data Protection Day from 2006. Now, it is celebrated globally as Data Privacy Day.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|December Monthly Current Affairs||November Monthly Current Affairs|
|October Monthly Current Affairs||September Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
7. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated National Logistics Portal (Marine).
- NLP-Marine is a single-window portal to reduce logistics costs.
- The Union Minister called the portal a one-step platform aimed at connecting all the stakeholders of the logistics community using Information Technology.
- He said NLP will be a single window for all trade processes of the logistics sector spread across the country.
- It covers all modes of transport in the waterways, roadways, and airways along with an e-marketplace to provide a seamless end-to-end logistic service coverage.
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has developed NLP (marine) as an open platform. It allows the coexistence of multiple service providers to provide EXIM-related services.
- The implementation of the NLP-Marine had been started in July 2021.
- It can integrate with various Port Operating Systems, Terminal Operating Systems, ICEGATE, other regulatory agencies and stakeholder systems in the ecosystem.
- It aims to reduce regulatory complexities. It aims to enhance the ease of doing business by moving towards paperless trade.
- The NLP Marine has the ‘Latch On Feature’. This feature facilitates the trade by providing the needed features that are not directly embedded into NLP Marine.
8. The inaugural edition of the air defence exercise 'Veer Guardian 2023' concluded in Japan on 26 January 2023.
- Veer Guardian 2023 was a joint air defence exercise between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Japan Air Self Defence Force (JASDF).
- Japan Air Self Defence Force took part in the exercise with its F-2 and F-15 aircraft.
- The IAF contingent took part in the exercise with the Su-30 MKI aircraft.
- One IL-78 Flight Refueling Aircraft and two C-17 Globemaster strategic airlift transport aircraft were also present with the IAF fighter contingent.
- IAF and JASDF carried out air combat manoeuvring, interception and air defence missions, both in Visual and Beyond Visual Range settings.
- Exercise 'Veer Guardian 2023' provided the IAF and JASDF with an opportunity to enhance mutual understanding.
Topic: MoUs/ Agreements
9. NITI Aayog, CBSE, Atal Innovation & Intel joined hands to promote education through AI.
- Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog, Central Board of Secondary Education-Ministry of Education and Intel India have collaborated to bring revolution in the education sector through AI in the formal curriculum.
- The main aim of this collaboration is to bridge the future skills gap and to utilise the available Atal Tinkering Laboratories infrastructure.
- It also aims to support National Education Policy 2020’s recommendations of speeding up technology adoption.
- AIoT integration in the school curriculum has been launched in September 2022 under a pilot project.
- Compendium is a collection of lesson plans prepared by teachers.
- Each lesson provides a holistic view of how the integration of AIoT can be used to enhance the learning process in the classroom.
- The AIoT integration in school curriculum empowers educators with relevant skill sets, mindsets and toolsets.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) is the ability of machines to learn from experience, adjust to new inputs, and perform human-like tasks.
Topic: State News/ Chhattisgarh
10. Chhattisgarh government announced monthly allowance for unemployed people.
- Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel said that monthly allowance will be provided to unemployed youths of the state from the next financial year (2023-24).
- It was one of the election promises made by Congress during its 2018 election campaign.
- The government is currently working on the criteria and the amount of allowance.
- Chhattisgarh government has a debt of 26.2% of the state GDP.
- Apart from this, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced that aid of ₹ 10,000 will be provided every year to each gram panchayat for organising festivals of tribal communities.
- Chhattisgarh State Innovation Commission will be formed to promote innovation for the development in the state.
- An aerocity will be also developed near the Swami Vivekananda Airport, Raipur.
- Rajasthan government is also giving unemployment allowances under the 'Mukhyamantri Yuva Sambal Yojna'.
11. Indian pair of Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna finished second in mixed doubles at Australian Open.
- On 27 January, Brazilian pair of Luisa Stefani and Rafael Matos won their first Grand Slam title by defeating Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna in the final at Melbourne Park.
- Sania Mirza, playing her final Grand Slam with Rohan Bopanna, has won two Grand Slam tournaments so far at the Australian Open.
- She won the Australian Open Women's Doubles title in 2016 with Martina Hingis and the Australian Open Mixed Doubles title in 2009 with Mahesh Bhupathi.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Banking System
12. Markets has shifted to T+1 settlement system from January 27.
- On January 27, India became the first major economy to move to a T+1 market settlement cycle.
- This move will help to complete all stock settlements the next day, resulting in faster financial transactions in the stock market.
- The current market follows T+2 settlement cycle, meaning that investors receive shares, dividends, and bonus shares in their accounts two days following the transaction.
- T refers to the trading day. Starting January 27, all large-cap and blue-chip companies switched to the T+1 system.
- Both NSE and BSE, the domestic stock markets, were currently following the T+2 settlement cycle.
- In September 2021, the SEBI allowed stock exchanges to introduce T+1 settlement cycle from January 1, 2022.
- In February 2022, SEBI introduced the changes in a phased manner, which eventually ended in January 2023.
- In July 2001, SEBI introduced a rolling settlement cycle.
- Earlier, all settlements were done on a fixed day - Friday on BSE and Tuesday on NSE.
- The system was riddled with several problems, such as poor delivery, excessive liquidity and frequent defaults, etc.
- In 1996, after demat accounts became operational, SEBI introduced the rolling settlement cycle.
- Initially, the T+5 settlement cycle was being followed, which meant settlement within 5 days from the trading day.
- In 2002, the market regulator shortened it to a T+3 cycle, and then, from April 2003, it was reduced to a T+2 cycle, which was followed until now.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
13. Police Medals were given to 901 police personnel on the occasion of Republic Day, 2023.
- 140 personnel have been awarded the Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG), 93 the President's Police Medal (PPM) and 668 the Police Medal (PM) for Meritorious Service.
- Out of 140 personnel awarded for their gallant action, 80 personnel are from Left Wing Extremism affected areas and 45 personnel from the J&K region.
- Among the personnel who received gallantry awards, 48 are from CRPF, 31 from Maharashtra, 25 from J&K Police, 09 from Jharkhand, 7 each from Delhi, Chhattisgarh and BSF and the rest from other States/UTs and CAPFs.
- Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) is awarded on the basis of conspicuous gallantry in saving life and property or preventing crime or arresting criminals.
- The President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service (PPM) is awarded for a particularly distinguished record in police service.
- Police Medal for Meritorious Service (PM) is awarded for valuable service characterized by resourcefulness and devotion to duty.
Topic: Personality in News
14. Veteran actress and former MP Jamuna passed away at the age of 86 in Hyderabad.
- She was a contemporary of prominent and popular actors N T Ramarao and Nageswar Rao, and she featured in over 200 Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Hindi films.
- She started her career as a stage performer, debuting on the silver screen with Puttilu.
- In 1989, she won the Lok Sabha seat from Rajahmundry from the Congress.
- She was recognized by her role in 'Satyabhama' and became a household name for the mythological character.
- She won an award at the Filmfare Awards and Filmfare Awards South.
(Source: News on AIR)