- 1. Indian Naval Placement Agency and IIFL Home Finance Ltd inked an MoU for the recruitment of Naval Veterans.
- 2. India becomes fifth largest trading partner of Brazil.
- 3. Maharashtra has highest number of SC entrepreneurs.
- 4. Anantha Nageswaran appointed as the Chief Economic Advisor.
- 5. Capacity Building Vision Document has been released by Pashupati Kumar Paras.
- 6. Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers launched research portal of NIPER.
- 7. India wins bronze medal at 2022 women's Asia Cup hockey tournament.
- 8. Australia announce financial package to protect Great Barrier Reef.
- 9. Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve wins prestigious TX2 award.
- 10. Bangladesh emerged as a top export destination for Indian pomegranates.
- 11. Navy inducted two indigenously built ALH-DHRUV helicopters.
- 12. India's largest EV charging station opened in Gurugram.
- 13. South Maubuang became First ODF Plus Village of Mizoram.
REPUBLIC DAY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code REPUBLIC
1. Indian Naval Placement Agency and IIFL Home Finance Ltd inked an MoU for the recruitment of Naval Veterans.
- The Indian Naval Placement Agency (INPA) and IIFL Home Finance Ltd (IIFL HFL) have signed an MoU for the recruitment of Naval Veterans.
- Under this MoU, INPA will identify a pool of Ex-Servicemen for relevant roles as per standards of IIFL HFL.
- IIFL Home Finance Ltd will help Ex-Servicemen in joining the corporate sector through its training programme.
- Indian Naval Placement Agency is committed to help veterans in finding employment opportunities after completing their service.
- IIFL is one of the leading housing finance companies in India. Its headquarters is located in Gurugram.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: International News
2. India becomes fifth largest trading partner of Brazil.
- In 2021, India became the fifth largest trading partner of Brazil.
- Bilateral trade between both countries has exceeded US $11 billion, a 63 percent increase over 2020.
- Pharmaceutical products contribute around 30% to Indian export. Brazil mainly exports vegetable oil, crude oil, gold, sugar, and Ores to India.
- In 2018-19, bilateral trade between India and Brazil was at US$ 8.2 billion.
- In 2019, India was Brazil’s 7th largest import source country and 18th largest export destination.
- In 2003, Brazil and India have signed a bilateral ‘Defence Cooperation Agreement’. It enhanced the cooperation between both countries in the field of Defence.
- India-Brazil became strategic partners in 2006. Diplomatic relations between both countries were established in 1948.
- It is the largest country in South America.
- It is the fifth-largest country in the world by area.
- Its capital is Brasilia and the currency is Brazilian Real.
- Jair Bolsonaro is the current president of Brazil.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
3. Maharashtra has highest number of SC entrepreneurs.
- Among Indian states, Maharashtra has the highest number of SC entrepreneurs.
- 96,805 Micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) in Maharashtra are owned by Scheduled Castes entrepreneurs.
- Tamil Nadu with 42,997 enterprises and Rajasthan with 38,517 enterprises are on the second and third positions respectively.
- The proportion of enterprises owned by Scheduled Caste entrepreneurs in the total MSME is around 6%.
- As of January 23, 2022, there were 4,53,972 SC-owned enterprises at all-India level.
- In 2016, Stand-Up India scheme was launched by Government to support entrepreneurship among women and SC & ST communities.
- Uttar Pradesh has the largest Scheduled Caste population, followed by West Bengal and Bihar.
- Punjab has the highest proportion of Scheduled Castes and Mizoram has the lowest proportion of Scheduled Castes.
4. Anantha Nageswaran appointed as the Chief Economic Advisor.
- The government of India has appointed Dr. V. Anantha Nageswaran as its Chief Economic Advisor.
- On January 28, Nageswaran took over his new post in the finance ministry.
- He succeeded Krishnamurthy Subramanian, who served as CEA for three years.
- From 2019 to 2021, he was also a part-time member of India's Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council.
- Chief Economic Adviser:
- It is the post equivalent to the rank of Secretary to the Government of India.
- Chief Economic Adviser heads the economic division of the Department of Economic Affairs.
- JJ Anjaria was the first chief economic advisor of India.
Topic: National News
5. Capacity Building Vision Document has been released by Pashupati Kumar Paras.
- Pashupati Kumar Paras, Minister of Food Processing Industries, has released the Vision Document for his Ministry's Capacity Building Plan under Mission Karmayogi in New Delhi.
- It aims to help staff to become more innovative, professional, technology-enabled, efficient, and citizen-centric by providing training in domain areas related to the food processing sector.
- Among all Ministries and Departments, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries is the first to develop and implement a Capacity Building Plan under Mission Karmayogi.
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries developed the Vision Document for the Capacity Building Plan with the help of the Capacity Building Commission.
- Mission Karmayogi:
- Mission Karmayogi was approved by the Government on 2nd September 2020.
- It is a capacity-building scheme for civil servants through institutional and process reforms.
- It aims to make civil servants more creative, constructive, imaginative, innovative, proactive, professional, and progressive.
- It is delivered through a digital platform called iGOTKarmayogi.
Topic: National News
6. Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers launched research portal of NIPER.
- Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers Dr Mansukh Mandaviya launched research portal of National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER).
- This Research Portal has been created by Department of Pharmaceuticals to capture the research activities of all seven NIPERs.
- The aim of the portal is to disseminate information about research activities, patents and publications of all NIPERs at one place.
- Bhagwanth Khuba, Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers, said India is the third-largest pharmaceutical manufacturing country.
7. India wins bronze medal at 2022 women's Asia Cup hockey tournament.
- India has won bronze medal by defeating China by 2-0 to at 2022 women's Asia Cup hockey tournament.
- Japan has won 2022 women's Asia Cup hockey title by defeating Korea.
- India defeated Singapore to qualify for semifinals. In the semifinals, India was defeated by Korea.
- 2022 women's Asia Cup hockey was held from 21 to 28 January 2022 in Muscat, Oman. It was the 10th edition of the Women's Hockey Asia Cup.
- Women's Hockey Asia Cup is a women's international field hockey tournament. It is organized by Asian Hockey Federation.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
8. Australia announce financial package to protect Great Barrier Reef.
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announce a 1 billion Australian dollar package to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
- UNESCO has recommended to add the Great Barrier Reef in “danger” category of world heritage sites.
- This financial package will help in improving water quality, reef management, and research over the next nine years.
- The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef and it is one of biggest tourism attractions of Australia.
- The Great Barrier Reef has suffered three mass bleaching events during heatwaves in 2016, 2017, and 2020.
- It will also encourage local farmers to improve land management to reduce agricultural runoff into the ocean.
- This new package is in addition to the government’s previously announced $2bn for the Reef 2050 plan.
- Great Barrier Reef:
- It was listed as World Heritage Site in 1981.
- It is located in the Pacific Ocean off northeastern Australia.
- It is facing threats from mass coral bleaching activities in recent years.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve wins prestigious TX2 award.
- Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (STR) of Tamil Nadu has been awarded the prestigious TX2 award.
- Nepal’s Bardia National Park also received this award for doubling the population of tigers.
- The Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve is located in Erode district and is home of 80 tigers.
- Its area is contiguous with the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Bandipur Tiger Reserve, and BR Tiger Reserve and Wildlife Sanctuary.
- These reserve together form the Nilgiris biosphere landscape, which has the largest tiger population of the world.
- The TX2 goal is a global commitment to double the world's wild tigers by 2022.
- Tiger populations are now increasing in many countries including India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Russia.
- According to the latest tiger census from 2018, India has around 2,967 tigers.
- TX2 award:
- It is given to recognize the remarkable contributions made by government bodies, NGOs, and local communities in tiger conservation.
- It is given by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) along with other stakeholders involved in tiger conservation.
- Uttar Pradesh’s Pilibhit Tiger Reserve was awarded with the first TX2 Award for having doubled its tiger population.
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
10. Bangladesh emerged as a top export destination for Indian pomegranates.
- Bangladesh has emerged as the most popular destination for Indian pomegranates over the last few years.
- Last fiscal, India had exported 68,502.9 tonnes of pomegranates out of which 36,906.77 tonnes had gone to Bangladesh.
- In the current fiscal, India has exported 53,524.31 tonnes of pomegranates out of which 31,185.84 tonnes have been exported to Bangladesh.
- The ease of transport and the relatively relaxed quality norms are the main contributors in making Bangladesh a major export destination.
- Pomegranates are mostly grown in Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Gujarat.
- The Agriculture department registers plots for export and ensures that fruits meet the prescribed residue content criteria.
11. Navy inducted two indigenously built ALH-DHRUV helicopters.
- To boost maritime security, the fleet of Andaman Nicobar Command has inducted two indigenously built Advanced Light Helicopters DHRUV MK III in Port Blair.
- The Advanced Light Helicopter, ALH MK III is designed & developed by Hindustan Aeronautical Limited.
- It is equipped with two powerful shakti engines, modern radar, electro-optical sensors, etc.
- It can carry out missions at any time with 14 soldiers. It will be utilized in carrying out search and rescue operations missions.
- It can also be used as an air ambulance and to provide logistic support in remote areas.
- Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) program was initiated in May 1979. The Dhruv is capable of flying at high altitudes.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
- It is a government-owned corporation involved in the design, fabrication, and assembly of aircraft, jet engines, helicopters.
- Its headquarters is located in Bangalore.
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
12. India's largest EV charging station opened in Gurugram.
- National Highway for Electric Vehicle (NHEV) has inaugurated India’s largest electric vehicle (EV) charging station in Gurgaon, Haryana.
- It has been installed by Alektrify. It has 100 charging points, including 72 AC chargers & 24 DC fast chargers.
- It will promote the EV industry in the region and act as a benchmark for EV charging stations across the country.
- Prior to this, the country’s largest EV charging station was located in Navi Mumbai.
- It can serve up to 576 electric vehicles in one day. 1 AC charger takes up to 6 hours to charge an EV and can charge a total of 4 vehicles in a day.
- 1 DC charger can charge a vehicle in less than 2 hours and can charge 12 EVs every day.
Topic: State News/Mizoram
13. South Maubuang became First ODF Plus Village of Mizoram.
- South Maubuang has been declared as Mizoram's first ODF Plus village. It has fulfilled all the criteria as per the guidelines of SBM-G Phase II.
- All the three schools in the village and two Anganwadi centres have good arrangements for toilets. Schools have separate toilets for boys and girls.
- South Maubuang was awarded the National Panchayat Award in 2021.
- 98% of the total households of the village have arrangements for biodegradable waste material.
- The village has constructed community compost pits and plastic waste is collected from house to house by the Village Water and Sanitation Committee (VWSC).
- Plastic Waste Resource Center ensures effective plastic disposal management.