Daily Current Affairs and GK | 3 November 2021
- 1. SpaceX sets up its subsidiary in India.
- 2. Indian Informal economy came down to 15-20% from 52%: SBI Report
- 3. Punjab to begin Census of Indus River Dolphin.
- 4. Actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away due to cardiac arrest.
- 5. Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS) launched by PM Modi.
- 6. ‘Ayushmaan CAPF’ Scheme health cards launched by Home Minister Amit Shah.
- 7. Defence Ministry approves Procurement of Arms, Military Equipment worth ₹ 7,965 Crore.
- 8. NITI Aayog and World Bank join hands for making financing of electric vehicles easier.
- 9. Akash Kumar ensures India’s first medal at the World Boxing Championships.
- 10. Amit Ranjan authored a book titled "John Lang: Wanderer of Hindoostan, Slanderer of Hindoostanee, Lawyer for the Ranee".
- 11. IREDA launched a ‘whistle-blower Portal’ as part of ‘Vigilance Awareness Week 2021’.
- 12. UNEP and European Commission have launched an observatory for action against methane emissions.
- 13. ISRO will provide a solar energy calculator application to the world, which can measure the solar power potential of any region.
MAGNIFICENT May OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code MAY23
Topic: Space and IT
1. SpaceX sets up its subsidiary in India.
- Elon Musk-owned SpaceX established its wholly-owned subsidiary in India to start local broadband operations.
- SpaceX's satellite broadband arm Starlink is planning to launch its broadband service in India from December 2022.
- SpaceX's subsidiary in India named SSCPL - Starlink Satellite Communications Private Limited has been established on 1 November.
- Starlink claims to have received more than 5,000 pre-order from India. It will provide internet in the range between 50 to 150 megabit per second.
- The company is planning to provide broadband service in rural areas.
It is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company founded by Elon Musk in 2002.
It is known for its reusable rockets and astronaut capsules.
Its headquarters is located in California.
CEO of SpaceX is Elon Musk.
Topic: Indian Economy
2. Indian Informal economy came down to 15-20% from 52%: SBI Report
- According to a report of SBI, India’s informal economy has shrunk to around 15-20 percent of the formal GDP.
- Around Rs 13 lakh crore has come into the formal economy through various channels over the last few years.
- Digitization of the economy and the emergence of the gig economy have accelerated the rate of formalization of the Indian Economy.
- In the last couple of years, the government has made many efforts for formalization of economy.
- India’s first national database of unorganised workers ‘E-Sharam Portal’ is playing an important role in the formalization of the economy.
- According to the SBI report, workers from the agriculture sector account for 55% of registration in E-sharam Portal.
- Hotels, transport, communication, construction, agriculture, and broadcasting sectors are the main informal sectors of India.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
3. Punjab to begin Census of Indus River Dolphin.
- The Punjab Government is set to start the Census of Indus River dolphin.
- The census of Indus River Dolphin will commence in the winter as part of a project by the Centre. The census project will be completed in five years.
- Indus River Dolphin is one of the world’s most threatened species. The Indus river dolphin is classified as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
Indus River Dolphin:
It's a freshwater dolphin that is found in the Beas River.
It was named as the Punjab State Aquatic Animal in 2019.
Ganga Dolphin and Indus dolphin are considered as separate species.
Topic: Personality in News
4. Actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away due to cardiac arrest.
- Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar passed away due to cardiac arrest. He collapsed while working out in his gym.
- Puneeth Rajkumar was Popularly known as the Powerstar.
- He was awarded the Karnataka State Award Best Child artist for Chalisuva Modagalu and Eradu Nakshatragalu.
- According to the data, Indians are more prone to heart attacks as compared to others around the world.
- According to the 2019 National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data, the number of deaths due to heart attack increased between 2014-2019 by 53%.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
5. Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS) launched by PM Modi.
- Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS) has been launched by PM Modi on the sidelines of the climate summit in Glasgow.
- IRIS is aimed at succeeding in reaching sustainable development through a systematic approach to resilient, sustainable and inclusive infrastructure in Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
- PM Modi also said that ISRO will build a special data window for Small Island Developing States to provide them timely information about cyclones, coral-reef monitoring and coast-line monitoring.
- IRIS launch event was hosted by Australia and UK. Leaders of Small Island Developing States including Fiji, Jamaica and Mauritius also took part in the event.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
6. ‘Ayushmaan CAPF’ Scheme health cards launched by Home Minister Amit Shah.
- ‘Ayushmaan CAPF’ Scheme health cards have been launched by Home Minister Amit Shah at national level on 02 November.
- 'Ayushman CAPF' scheme has been designed to cover all serving personnel and their dependents of the seven Central Armed Police Forces.
- The health card distribution will be undertaken in all CAPFs. The distribution of about 35 lakh cards will be completed by December 2021.
- ‘Ayushmaan CAPF’ Scheme had been launched by Home Minister on a pilot basis in the State of Assam on 23rd January 2021.
- It had been launched to provide health care services to all Central Armed Police Force (CAPFs) personnel and their dependents.
- The scheme is a joint initiative of the Home Ministry, Health Ministry and National Health Authority (NHA).
(Source: News on AIR)
7. Defence Ministry approves Procurement of Arms, Military Equipment worth ₹ 7,965 Crore.
- The Defence Ministry approved the procurement of arms and military equipment worth ₹ 7,965-crore.
- The procurement proposals were approved at a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
- Defence Ministry approved procurement of 12 light utility helicopters from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Lynx U2 naval gunfire control system from Bharat Electronics Limited.
- Defence Acquisition Council has also approved "mid-life upgradation of Dornier aircraft" by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. It will increase the naval capacity.
- All these procurements will be done under the ''Make in India'' initiative with a focus on the design, development, and manufacturing of defence equipment.
Defence Acquisition Council:
The council is chaired by the Defence Minister.
It approves the procurement of the defence equipment for the defence forces i.e Army, Navy, and Airforce.
8. NITI Aayog and World Bank join hands for making financing of electric vehicles easier.
- NITI Aayog has joined hands with the World Bank to facilitate faster and more convenient finance for electric vehicles.
- Both entities are setting up a $300-million ‘first loss risk sharing instrument’, with the State Bank of India (SBI).
- This facility will bring around $1.5 billion finance for EVs. The instrument would act as a hedging mechanism for banks.
- It will bring down the cost of financing for EVs by 10-12%. At present, the rate of interest for electric two-wheelers & electric 3 Wheelers is in the range of 20-25%.
- NBFCs such as Shriram City Union Finance (SCUF) and L&T Finance have tied up with many EV makers to offer loans.
- According to experts, Consumers are choosing cleaner and greener mobility due to the rise in fuel prices.
9. Akash Kumar ensures India’s first medal at the World Boxing Championships.
- Akash Kumar ensures India’s first medal at the World Boxing Championships by defeating the Rio Olympics bronze medallist Yoel Finol in the quarter-finals.
- He became only the seventh Indian to win a world championship medal.
- In the previous edition, India had won a silver and bronze medal in the World Boxing Championships.
- The gold medalist of this championship will get a prize money of USD 100,000. India is being represented by its reigning national champions across weight categories.
- The 2021 AIBA World Boxing Championships are being held in Belgrade, Serbia from 25 October to 6 November.
Topic: Books and Authors
10. Amit Ranjan authored a book titled "John Lang: Wanderer of Hindoostan, Slanderer of Hindoostanee, Lawyer for the Ranee".
- Amit Ranjan has written a book titled "John Lang: Wanderer of Hindoostan, Slanderer of Hindoostanee, Lawyer for the Ranee".
- This book will be published by Niyogi Books' Paper Missile imprint.
- John Lang was an Australian writer-lawyer settled in India. He fought many cases including Rani Laxmibai’s legal battle case against the annexation of her kingdom.
- This book is about Lang's life, his exploits, and his literary works.
- Rani Laxmibai had employed him because of his fame amongst the Indians but he lost the case quickly.
- He had fought many cases against the British and won few famous cases against the East India Company.
Topic: National News
11. IREDA launched a ‘whistle-blower Portal’ as part of ‘Vigilance Awareness Week 2021’.
- The Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) has launched a whistle-blower Portal’ as part of ‘Vigilance Awareness Week 2021’.
- The portal has been launched by Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), IREDA.
- This portal has been developed by the IT team of the IREDA.
- IREDA employees can raise concerns related to fraud, corruption, abuse of power, etc. through this portal.
- The whistle-blower portal is a part of IREDA’s “zero tolerance" campaign against corruption. The latest issue of Vigilance journal ‘Pahal’ was also released by IREDA on this occasion.
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA):
It comes under the administrative control of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
It is a Mini Ratna (Category – I) Government of India Enterprise. It is a Public Limited Government Company established as a Non-Banking Financial Institution in 1987.
It provides financial support to specific projects and schemes for generating electricity through new and renewable sources.
Topic: Environment and Ecology
12. UNEP and European Commission have launched an observatory for action against methane emissions.
- The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and the European Commission have jointly launched an observatory to reduce emissions of methane gas into the atmosphere.
- The International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO) was launched at the G20 Summit by UNEP with support from the European Union.
- IMEO will monitor methane emissions via satellite.
- The IMEO will mainly integrate data from four streams:
- Direct measurement data from scientific studies
- Remote sensing data
- National inventories
- Reporting from the Oil and Gas Methane Partnership 2.0 (OGMP 2.0)
- European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said in a statement, methane is one of the most dangerous gases for our climate and it is important to reduce methane emissions to keep our climate targets in reach.
- As per the Paris Agreement, limiting global warming to 1.5 °C must go hand-in-hand with the reduction of methane to decarbonize the energy system.
- The objective of launching the observatory is to help improve accuracy and transparency in reporting the amount of methane release into the atmosphere and its impact on global warming.
- The International Methane Emissions Observatory, hosted by UNEP, will operate on a budget of 100 million euros (about $115.6 million) over five years.
Topic: National News
13. ISRO will provide a solar energy calculator application to the world, which can measure the solar power potential of any region.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said at global COP-26 Summit that Indian Space Research Organisation- ISRO will soon provide a solar power calculator application to the world that can measure solar energy potential of any region across the globe.
- Solar power potential of any place in the world can be calculated through this calculator based on satellite data.
- This application will be useful in deciding the location of solar projects and will strengthen 'One Sun, One World and One Grid' initiative, Modi said.
- Solar energy is completely clean and sustainable and the challenge is that this energy is available only during the day and depends on the weather.
- 'One Sun, One World and One Grid' solves this problem and clean energy can be transmitted anywhere and anytime through a worldwide grid.
- Modi said that using fossil fuels has made some countries prosperous, but it has made the earth and environment bad and today technology has given us a great alternative in the form of Solar energy.