- 1. CEEW has released the Climate Vulnerability Index.
- 2. World Thrift Day (World Savings Day): 30 October (India)
- 3. Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana emerged toppers in governance performance: PAC study.
- 4. DRDO and IAF successfully flight test Long-Range Bomb.
- 5. Union Home Minister launched Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana in Dehradun.
- 6. Ganga Utsav to be organised from November 1.
- 7. President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated a housing scheme for Economically Weaker sections of Gujarat.
- 8. Maharashtra becomes the first state to release its own Wildlife Action Plan.
- 9. India and ADB signed a loan agreement for integrated urban flood management in Chennai.
- 10. FSSAI launched a mobile application to improve connection with consumers.
- 11. Union Agriculture Minister addressed National Conference on 'International Year of Fruits and Vegetables'.
- 12. Union Minister of State launched India’s first manned Ocean mission ‘Samundrayan’.
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Reports and Indices
1. CEEW has released the Climate Vulnerability Index.
- The first of its kind district-level climate vulnerability assessment or Climate Vulnerability Index (CVI) has been released by the Environmental think tank Council on Energy, Environment and Water.
- The index has analysed 640 districts of India to assess their vulnerability to extreme weather events such as cyclones, floods, heat waves, droughts, etc.
- Most of the states like Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Bihar are most vulnerable to extreme climate events such as floods, droughts, and cyclones.
- According to the index, 27 Indian states and union territories are vulnerable to extreme climate events, and 463 out of 640 districts are vulnerable to extreme weather events.
- The most climate-vulnerable districts in India are:
- Dhemaji and Nagaon in Assam
- Khammam in Telangana
- Gajapati in Odisha
- Vizianagaram in Andhra Pradesh
- Sangli in Maharashtra
- Chennai in Tamil Nadu
- Over 80% of Indians are living in climate-vulnerable districts means 17 of 20 people in India are vulnerable to climate risk, out of which every five Indians live in extremely vulnerable areas.
- North-Eastern states are in the grip of floods and South and central are vulnerable to extreme drought.
- Out of the total districts in the eastern and western states, 59 and 41%, respectively, are vulnerable to extreme cyclones.
- India is the seventh-most vulnerable country regarding climate extremes, according to Germanwatch’s 2020 findings.
- According to the CVI ranking, out of 20 states, Assam and Andhra Pradesh are the most vulnerable to extreme weather events. Kerala, Tripura, and West Bengal are the least vulnerable.
Topic: Important Days
2. World Thrift Day (World Savings Day): 30 October (India)
- World Thrift Day is celebrated on 31 October across the world to promote the savings and financial security of individuals and the entire nation.
- In India, this day is celebrated on 30 October due to the death of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1984.
- The theme of World Thrift Day 2021 is “Understanding the Importance of Savings”.
- October 30, 1924, the day was established during the first International Savings Bank Congress (World Society of Savings Banks) in Milan, Italy.
- On the last day of the Congress, Italian Professor Filippo Ravizza declared this day 'International Savings Day'.
Topic: Reports and Indices
3. Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana emerged toppers in governance performance: PAC study.
- In a study of Public Affairs Centre (PAC), Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana are the top three states in governance performance.
- In this index, Kerala remained on the top spot while Tamil Nadu has retained its second place. Telangana has been kept on the third spot.
- Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, and Gujarat have performed well in the overall index. Maharashtra, Assam, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh have slipped compared to their last year ranking.
- Public Affairs Index has prepared the list based on scores secured by the states in governance performance across the pillars of equity, growth, and sustainability.
- In this index, Gujarat has been placed on the fifth position and Karnataka has been kept on seventh position.
- The study is an annual assessment of the adequacy and quality of governance in the states. The index has also assessed the states on the basis of their implementation of rural employment guarantee schemes, national health mission, etc.
- Sikkim, Goa, and Mizoram are the top-performing states among smaller states. Puducherry, Jammu & Kashmir, and Chandigarh are the top-performing union territories.
- The Public Affairs index series is based on the assessment of government data sources.
4. DRDO and IAF successfully flight test Long-Range Bomb.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and IAF have jointly flight-tested Long-Range Bomb.
- The flight of indigenously developed Long-Range Bomb was monitored by a number of range sensors.
- They include Electro-Optical Tracking System, Telemetry and radar deployed by the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha.
- Research Centre Imarat, a DRDO laboratory located in Hyderabad has designed and developed Long-Range Bomb in coordination with other DRDO laboratories.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has congratulated DRDO, Indian Air Force (IAF) and other teams associated with successful flight trials.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: State News/Uttarakhand
5. Union Home Minister launched Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana in Dehradun.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah has launched Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana in Dehradun.
- Mukhymantri Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana aims to eliminate the burden of more than three lakh rural women of the state living in mountainous regions.
- Under Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana, packaged silage or safe green fodder will be provided at their doorstep.
- Cattle feed (Silage) in the vacuum pack bags of 25 – 30 kg would be given to cattle rearers at concessional prices.
- In the first phase Ghasiyari Kalyan Yojana would be implemented in four mountainous districts. These districts are Pauri, Rudraprayag, Almora and Champawat.
- Union Home Minister is on a day-long visit to Uttarakhand. He will go to Haridwar to attend a function of Dev Sanskriti University. He will also go to Harihar Ashram and meet the saints.
Topic: National News
6. Ganga Utsav to be organised from November 1.
- Ganga Utsav will be organized from 1st-3rd November. It is celebrated every year to mark the anniversary of the announcement Ganga as the National River.
- Ganga was declared as the National River on November 4, 2008.
- Ganga Utsav will be celebrating not just River Ganga but all the rivers in the country.
- Celebration activities will be planned across 150 districts. Out of 150 districts, 112 districts will be from the Ganga belt, and the remaining will be from other parts.
- The main aim of this year’s Ganga Utsav is to promote the celebration of the River Festival to the various other river basins.
- This year’s event is being organized under the leadership of Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
- Storytelling, folklore, dialogues with eminent personalities, and quizzes will be part of the celebration of Ganga Utsav. 75 events at 75 different locations will be organized at the state level.
- The message of river rejuvenation will be communicated through stories. An expedition ‘Ganga Mashal’ led by the Ganga Task Force would be also flagged off.
Topic: State News/ Gujarat
7. President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated a housing scheme for Economically Weaker sections of Gujarat.
- President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated a housing scheme for Economically Weaker sections at Bhavnagar in Gujarat. He also handed over the keys of the flat to several beneficiaries.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, around 1088 affordable houses have been constructed by Bhavnagar Municipal Corporation.
- President Ramnath Kovind also visited Shree Chitrakutdham Ashram in the Bhavnagar district.
- President Ramnath Kovind was on a three-day visit to Gujarat from 28-30 October.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) is a scheme under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. It aims to achieve Housing For All by 2022.
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
8. Maharashtra becomes the first state to release its own Wildlife Action Plan.
- Maharashtra has become the first state to release its own Wildlife Action plan (2021-30). It will be implemented over the next 10 years.
- It will recognize concerns related to the impact of climate change on wildlife, coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity, flora and fauna.
- It will be the guiding document for an action plan for wildlife conservation for the next decade.
- Wildlife Action Plan will focus on Conservation of the species, Control of Poaching and Illegal Wildlife Trade, Mitigation of Human-Wildlife Conflict and Rescue, Wildlife Health Management, etc.
- It will provide specific priority actions required for the conservation of wildlife in the state. It will be implemented by a monitoring committee of concerned government departments.
- It has also integrated other wildlife concerns like infrastructure development, and rural development, agriculture, tourism, and tribal development of the state.
Topic: State News/ Tamil Nadu
9. India and ADB signed a loan agreement for integrated urban flood management in Chennai.
- The government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $251 million loan agreement for urban flood protection and management in the Chennai-Kosasthalaiyar basin.
- The agreement for the Integrated Urban Flood Management for the Chennai-Kosasthalaiyar River Basin Project has been signed between Rajat Kumar Mishra, additional secretary, and Takeo Konishi, country director of ADB’s India.
- The project will reduce the vulnerability from the frequent floods in the Chennai-Kosasthalaiyar basin.
- The disaster-resilient infrastructure would reduce the effects of high rainfall, high sea-level rise, Cyclones, etc.
- The project will strengthen the capacity of the Greater Chennai Corporation in transforming Chennai into a more liveable city.
- Under this project, 588 kilometers of new stormwater drains will be constructed. More than 23000 catch pits will be constructed to recharge the groundwater aquifer.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
10. FSSAI launched a mobile application to improve connection with consumers.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched a mobile application to improve connection with consumers and food business operators (FBOs).
- The mobile application named Food Safety Connect will help food businesses like hawkers, vendors, and start-ups.
- According to the Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act 2006, every food business has to obtain FSSAI license before starting the business.
- It will also provide information regarding eligibility criteria. It will bridge the communication gap between consumers and FSSAI.
- The app can also be used as a mechanism for consumers to easily verify the FSSAI license or registration on any food packet.
- Through this app, Consumers can even lodge their grievances related to any food safety matters.
Topic: Summits/ Conferences/ Meetings
11. Union Agriculture Minister addressed National Conference on 'International Year of Fruits and Vegetables'.
- Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar has addressed a National Conference on “International Year of Fruits and Vegetables”.
- It has been organized by the Ministry of Agriculture in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- The conference has been organized as part of the celebration of the “International Year of Fruits and Vegetables, 2021”.
- The theme for this year is “Awareness about the nutritional benefits of fruits and vegetables for balanced and healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Narendra Singh Tomar said this conference has given the opportunity to raise awareness about the important role of fruits and vegetables in human health.
- Agriculture Ministry has identified 10 globally popular Exotic fruit crops of commercial importance and 10 important indigenous fruit crops.
- In 2021, 8951 hectares area for exotic fruits and 7154 hectares area for indigenous fruits will be brought under cultivation.
Topic: Science and Technology
12. Union Minister of State launched India’s first manned Ocean mission ‘Samundrayan’.
- Union Minister of State Jitendra Singh has launched India's first manned ocean mission ‘Samudrayan’ at Chennai.
- India joins the group of countries having such underwater vehicles for carrying out subsea activities.
- Government is carrying out deep ocean exploration of non-living resources such as polymetallic manganese, gas hydrates, hydro-thermal sulphides, and cobalt.
- He said that the Matsya 6000 under the Samudrayan initiative is capable of carrying three human beings in a titanium alloy sphere.
- The NIOT had developed a 'personnel sphere' made of mild steel with local industry for an operational capability of 500 meters.