- 1. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launched the 'Odisha for AI, and AI for Youth' initiative.
- 2. Justice Sudarshan Reddy released a book titled ‘A Political Biography NTR’.
- 3. RINL bagged the prestigious "GreenTech Safety Award 2023".
- 4. India's defense exports grew 23 times since 2014, with highest ever exports of nearly Rs 16,000 crore in the last financial year.
- 5. Three astronauts sent by China to Tiangong space station.
- 6. World No Tobacco Day 2023: 31 May
- 7. Farmers will get Rs 6,000 per year under the new scheme of Maharashtra cabinet.
- 8. Maharashtra's Chandrapur Congress MP Balu alias Suresh Dhanorkar passed away.
- 9. Araku Coffee and Black Pepper received organic certification from APEDA.
- 10. DGCA simplified the process of granting the Heliport License.
- 11. Telangana state government has established at least one de-addiction center in all 33 districts.
- 12. 57th Jnanpith Award has been honoured to Goan writer Damodar Mauzo.
- 13. Cambodia’s King Norodom Sihamoni began his maiden visit to India.
- 14. Tamil Nadu signed six MoUs with Japanese companies.
Gandhi Jayanti offer get 30% Off
Use Coupon code BAPU30
Topic: State News/ Odisha
1. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launched the 'Odisha for AI, and AI for Youth' initiative.
- 'Odisha for AI, and AI for Youth' initiative will be implemented in Bhubaneswar, Puri and Cuttack in the first phase.
- ‘Odisha for AI’ is a free 4-hour course on AI by Intel on its app/site.
- AI for youth is an initiative for students (below 18) of 2000 5T schools and Odisha Adarsh Vidyalayas.
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik said that Artificial Intelligence has the potential to reshape the world and drive progress.
- Odisha government is focused on technology-driven transformation. It is one of the key components of the Government's 5-T initiative.
- The initiative will promote digital literacy among the masses and make them familiar with new-generation technology.
- It will also create an ecosystem for improving research, innovation, and application of AI across various sectors.
- Odisha Electronics and IT Department has collaborated with Intel India.
- Artificial Intelligence will play a key role in the economic growth, transformation of governance and the betterment of the lives of our citizens and society.
Topic: Books and Authors
2. Justice Sudarshan Reddy released a book titled ‘A Political Biography NTR’.
- ‘A Political Biography NTR’ has been written by senior Editor K. Ramachandra Murthy.
- Justice B Sudarshan Reddy said that Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao was a rare leader who fulfilled promises made to people and loved people abundantly.
- NTR had no political knowledge but he has a strong will power to do welfare of the people.
- Supreme Court retired Judge Justice Chalameshwar released the Telugu version of the book ‘NTR- Rajakiya Jeevitha Charitra- Asalu Kadha’.
- Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao served as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh for seven years over three terms. He also acted in more than 300 films.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
3. RINL bagged the prestigious "GreenTech Safety Award 2023".
- RINL received the "GreenTech Safety Award 2023" under the safety Excellence Category. It has received the award for improving safety at the workplace in 2022-23.
- The award has been received by Shri A K Bagchi - Director (Projects) and Additional Charge Director (Operations) on behalf of RINL.
- The award has been presented at the 21st Annual Greentech Awards function held in New Delhi.
- The 21st GreenTech Safety Award has been organized by the Greentech Foundation.
- It honours the outstanding organizations that are defining the commercial futures by adding value through excellence in fire, safety, health and security management for corporate citizenship, life cycle stewardship, etc.
- The jury of the award praised RINL’s initiatives of using Drone technology for the inspection of high-rise structures, chimneys etc. and the development of Software Application for tracking the use of Safety Harnesses.
4. India's defense exports grew 23 times since 2014, with highest ever exports of nearly Rs 16,000 crore in the last financial year.
- The country's defense exports have reached an all-time high.
- In 2013-14, it was 686 crore rupees, which has increased to about 16,000 crore rupees in 2022-23.
- This figure of 23 times remarkable increase in defense exports is indicative of India's progress in the defense manufacturing sector.
- Defense material is being exported from India to more than 85 countries and one hundred defense exporting companies are engaged in this work.
- The Government has taken several policy measures in the last nine years to promote defense exports.
- The measures taken under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan have given a significant boost to the design, development and manufacturing of defense equipment in the country.
- Expenditure on defense purchases from foreign sources has declined from 46% of total expenditure in 2018-19 to over 36 per cent in December 2022.
- India, which was once primarily known as a defense equipment importer, now exports a wide range of defence products.
- It includes aircraft like the Dornier-228, artillery guns, Brahmos Missiles, PINAKA rockets & launchers, radars, simulators and armoured vehicles.
- There is also growing global demand for India's indigenous products including LCA-Tejas, Light Combat Helicopter, Aircraft Carrier and MRO.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Space and IT
5. Three astronauts sent by China to Tiangong space station.
- On 30 May, three astronauts, including a civilian in China, were launched on Shenzhou-16 to the Tiangong Space Station.
- The civilian, Professor Gui Haichao of Beihang University, has been sent to space for the first time.
- China has sent astronauts to its now fully operational space station as part of crew rotation.
- The spacecraft, Shenzhou-16, is carrying these passengers.
- The Shenzhou-16 crew was launched aboard a Long March 2F rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China.
- China has committed billions of dollars in its military-run space programme.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Important Days
6. World No Tobacco Day 2023: 31 May
- Every year on 31 May, the World No Tobacco Day is observed.
- It is observed to spread awareness about the dangers of using tobacco.
- The main purpose of the day is to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.
- The aim of the 2023 global campaign is to raise awareness of alternative crop production and encourage them to grow sustainable, nutritious crops.
- The theme of World No Tobacco Day 2023 is “We need food, not tobacco”.
- In 1987, World Health Assembly had started the World No Tobacco Day by passing a resolution.
- According to WHO, tobacco use kills more than 8 million people around the world each year.
- The nicotine present in tobacco causes cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.
|Monthly Current Affairs eBooks|
|April Monthly Current Affairs||March Monthly Current Affairs|
|February Monthly Current Affairs||January Monthly Current Affairs|
Topic: State News/ Maharashtra
7. Farmers will get Rs 6,000 per year under the new scheme of Maharashtra cabinet.
- The Maharashtra government has launched a new scheme for farmers, under which Rs 6,000 will be given annually to more than one crore farmers in the state.
- On 30 May, Namo Shetkari Mahasanman Yojana was approved in the cabinet meeting held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Eknath Shinde in Mumbai.
- The amount of 6,000 rupees per year given in this scheme will be in addition to the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme of the Center.
- The Maharashtra cabinet also approved the implementation of 'Gender Inclusive Tourism Policy' named 'Aai' to empower women in the tourism sector.
- Similarly, approval was also given to start women bike-taxi service at some tourist places of the state.
Topic: Personality in News
8. Maharashtra's Chandrapur Congress MP Balu alias Suresh Dhanorkar passed away.
- On May 30, Balu alias Suresh Dhanorkar, Congress MP from Chandrapur Lok Sabha constituency in Maharashtra, passed away at Medanta Hospital in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Dhanorkar, the only MP from the Congress in Maharashtra, was 47 years old.
- In 2014, he was elected as the MLA of Shiv Sena.
- In 2019, he resigned from Shiv Sena, and was elected as Congress MP from Chandrapur Vani Arni Lok Sabha constituency.
Topic: Agriculture and allied sectors
9. Araku Coffee and Black Pepper received organic certification from APEDA.
- Agriculture and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has granted organic certification to Girijan Co-operative Corporation (GCC), Visakhapatnam for Araku coffee and black pepper crops.
- This certification will have a positive impact on the market value of these products.
- The certification covers an extensive cultivation area of 21,104 acres. 1,300 farmers in the Gondipakalu, Lammasingi, Kappalu, GK Veedhi, Pedavalasa, and Erracheruvulu clusters grow coffee and pepper.
- The process of obtaining certification crossed various challenges including third-party verification, online registration, geo-tagging of farms, etc.
- Araku Coffee:
- It is cultivated in the Araku Valley of Andhra Pradesh.
- It is grown in iron-rich soil which allows the coffee to ripen slowly.
- It is grown in the weather with hot days and cold nights.
- It is grown in the red lateritic soil.
- Arabica Coffee:
- It is grown around Vishakapatnam district in Andhra Pradesh and Koraput district in Orissa.
- It is grown in an area with an elevation of 3000 to 5300 feet.
- It receives adequate rains from South‐West and North‐East monsoons.
- It is grown in soil with optimum pH levels of 6.0 to 6.5.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
10. DGCA simplified the process of granting the Heliport License.
- The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has simplified the process for granting Heliport License.
- Earlier, an applicant had to obtain NOC from the Ministry of Home, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Airport Authority of India and Local Administration before applying for the license.
- Now, the applications for NOC/Clearance from five external organizations can be routed through a single tab on the relevant portal.
- DGCA grants heliport licenses to the heliports at the surface level as well as at elevated or rooftops of the buildings.
- A person who wants to obtain license or authorization should has to submit an online application through the eGCA portal.
- In 2021, the eGCA (e-Governance in Directorate General of Civil Aviation) portal was launched to enhance the efficiency of the various services provided by DGCA.
- Directorate of General of Civil Aviation (DGCA):
- It is a regulatory body in the field of Civil Aviation. It became a statutory body under the Aircraft (Amendment) Act, 2020.
- It is mainly responsible for dealing with safety issues in the Civil Aviation sector.
- It issues licences related to aviation like Private Pilot Licence and Commercial Pilot Licence.
- Vikram Dev Dutt is the current director general of DGCA.
Topic: State News / Telangana
11. Telangana state government has established at least one de-addiction center in all 33 districts.
- On 29 May, the Telangana government has said that at least one de-addiction center has been set up in all the 33 districts of the state.
- In these centers, people who are addicted to alcohol or other drugs are treated free of cost and they are being provided yoga therapy and counselling services.
- The High Court had criticized the state government for the delay in opening such centres. A month after this, new drug de-addiction centers have been set up.
- After the state reorganization of Andhra Pradesh in 2014, the Andhra Pradesh developed 18 de-addiction centers in 13 districts, while Telangana did not create any.
- Regarding this, a public interest litigation was filed in the High Court in the year 2016 and a request was made to direct the state government to open drug de-addiction centers in all the districts.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
12. 57th Jnanpith Award has been honoured to Goan writer Damodar Mauzo.
- On 27 May, the Goa state governor P S Sreedharan Pillai honored Goan writer Damodar Maujo with the Jnanpith Award, the country's highest literary honour.
- He also stated that Mauzo is the "epitome of the Konkani literary culture."
- 25 books of Maujo have been published in Konkani and one in English. Many of his books have also been translated into different languages.
- In 1983, the famous novel 'Karmelin' by Mauzo received the Sahitya Akademi Award.
- In 1981, this novel was published and was translated in Hindi, Marathi, English, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Odia and Maithili languages.
- Mauzo is the second Goan after Ravindra Kelekar (2008), who received the Jnanpith Award.
- Jnanpith Award:
- It is a literary award that is presented every year by the Bhartiya Jnanpith for outstanding contribution to Literature.
- The award is given for literary work in 22 “scheduled languages” recognized in the Indian Constitution.
- The first award was presented in 1965.
Topic: International News
13. Cambodia’s King Norodom Sihamoni began his maiden visit to India.
- King of Cambodia, Norodom Sihamoni, is on his maiden State visit to India from the 29th to 31st of May.
- His visit will mark the culmination of the celebrations of the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between India and Cambodia.
- A Cambodian king last visited India in 1963.
- The King received a ceremonial welcome at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on 30th May.
- The Cambodian king will hold bilateral meetings with President Droupadi Murmu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar and External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar.
- India and Cambodia:
- India-Cambodia relation is from the 1st century AD.
- India and Cambodia have cultural and economic linkages and deep-rooted people-to-people ties.
- India is actively assisting Cambodia in capacity building and human resource development.
- India has given grants and concessional loans to Cambodia for various developmental projects including the restoration of the ancient temples of Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm and Preah Vihar.
- India has offered a line of credit worth 50 million dollars to Cambodia for the procurement of defence equipment from India.
(Source: News on AIR)
14. Tamil Nadu signed six MoUs with Japanese companies.
- Tamil Nadu and Japanese companies signed six MoUs to bring an investment of ₹818.9 crores in the State.
- Guidance Tamil Nadu (the State’s nodal agency for investment promotion and single window facilitation) and KyoKuto Satrac signed MoU for establishing a 13-acre plant for manufacturing trailers and trucks.
- An MoU worth ₹155 crores has been signed by Mitsuba for the expansion of its plant at SIPCOT Gummidipoondi in the Tiruvallur district.
- Kohyei signed an MoU for setting up a plant for manufacturing polycarbonate sheets.
- Sato-Shoji Metal Works will invest ₹200 crores to set up a plant for manufacturing high-quality steel components.
- The Tamil Nadu government is setting up various industrial parks across the state.
- Tamil Nadu government has also launched ‘Naan Mudhalvan’, a skill development programme for school and college students.