- 1. Chandrayaan-3 to be launched in August 2022.
- 2. Lt. Gen. G.A.V. Reddy takes charge as head of Defence Intelligence Agency.
- 3. International Day of Human Fraternity: 04 February
- 4. Bharat Dynamics Limited and Indian Army sign contract for Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles.
- 5. Ravi Mittal likely to take over as IBBI’s Chairman.
- 6. Tripura CM laid foundation stone of third Indo-Bangla border haat at Kamalpur.
- 7. Narendra Singh Tomar flagged off 1000th Trip of ‘Kisan Rail’ of Central Railway.
- 8. World Interfaith Harmony Week: 1-7 February
- 9. World's first hydrogen-powered flying boat will be launched in Dubai.
- 10. Independence Co-operative Bank's licence has been cancelled by the RBI.
- 11. Government approves continuation of Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations.
- 12. India’s one of the most powerful supercomputers installed at IISc.
- 13. World Cancer Day: 4 February
- 14. Chennai Super Kings becomes India's First Unicorn Sports Enterprise.
FEBRUARY OFFER get 25% Off
Use Coupon code FEB23
Topic: Space and IT
1. Chandrayaan-3 to be launched in August 2022.
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology, Dr Jitendra Singh said that Chandrayaan-3 is scheduled for launch in August 2022.
- The Minister informed that 19 missions are planned during January to December 2022.
- They include 08 Launch Vehicle Missions, 07 Spacecraft Missions and 04 Technology Demonstrator Missions.
- The list of satellites launched in last two years is given below.
Satellites launched in last two years
Launch Date/Launch Month
February 28, 2021
Satish Dhawan SAT (SDSAT)
February 28, 2021
February 28, 2021
January 17, 2020
- It was launched on 22 July 2019 by a GSLV Mark III M1 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Andhra Pradesh. Its lander (Vikram), rover (Pragyaan) and orbiter were developed in India.
- On 7 September 2019, ISRO had lost contact with the Vikram lander carrying the rover.
2. Lt. Gen. G.A.V. Reddy takes charge as head of Defence Intelligence Agency.
- Lt. Gen. G.A.V. Reddy has taken charge as the head (Director-General) of the Defence Intelligence Agency.
- Lt. Gen. G.A.V. Reddy has taken charge after the retirement of Lt. Gen. K.J.S. Dhillon.
- Lt. Gen. Manoj Pande has taken charge as Vice Chief of Army Staff from Lt. Gen. C.P. Mohanty who superannuated on January 31.
- Lt. Gen. Upendra Dwivedi assumed charge as GOC-in-Chief (GOC-in-C) of Northern Command.
- Lt. Gen. R.P. Kalita (Rana Pratap Kalita) assumed charge as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Command.
Topic: Important Days
3. International Day of Human Fraternity: 04 February
- International Day of Human Fraternity is celebrated every year on 04 February all over the world.
- The resolution to declare 04 February as International Day of Human Fraternity was adopted by UN General Assembly in December 2020.
- 1st International Day of Human Fraternity was celebrated on 04 February 2021.
- The choice of 04 February as International Day of Human Fraternity is a reminder of the meeting between Pope Francis and Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmad al-Tayeb on 4 February 2019.
- The meeting resulted in the signing of the “Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace & living Together”.
4. Bharat Dynamics Limited and Indian Army sign contract for Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles.
- Bharat Dynamics Limited and Indian Army have signed a contract for manufacturing and supply of Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles.
- The contract is worth Rs 3,131.82 crore. It will be executed in three years.
- Bharat Dynamics Limited is manufacturing Konkurs-M under a license agreement with a Russian Original Equipment Manufacturer.
- As a part of its global outreach, Bharat Dynamics Limited is offering Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missiles, Nag, Milan-2T, Amogha and Konkurs-M for export to friendly foreign countries.
- It is a 2nd generation, mechanized infantry anti-tank guided missile.
- It can be launched either from a BMP-II tank or from a ground launcher.
- It has a range between 75 to 4000 metres.
5. Ravi Mittal likely to take over as IBBI’s Chairman.
- Ravi Mittal is likely to take over as Chairman of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
- He is the former secretary of the Department of Sports. Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved his appointment.
- The appointment will be subjected to clearance from Prime Minister Office. Mittal would be IBBI’s chairman for five years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is early.
- The post of IBBI’s chairman was vacant after the retirement of MS Sahoo on September 20, 2021. Navrang Saini was given additional charge of IBBI’s chairman.
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI):
- It was established on 1 October 2016 under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- It is responsible for the implementation of the IBC code.
Topic: India and its neighbourhood
6. Tripura CM laid foundation stone of third Indo-Bangla border haat at Kamalpur.
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb and Bangladesh Commerce Minister Tipu Munshi laid the foundation stone of the third Indo-Bangla border haat at Kamalpur in Dhalai district.
- The border haat will be known as Kamalpur-Kumraghat border haat.
- It will help in strengthening cultural and emotional ties between India and Bangladesh. Tripura plays a crucial role in Indo-Bangla friendship.
- In 2020, authorities had jointly identified locations for three additional border haats along the India-Bangladesh border in Tripura.
- Two of these border haat are already operational and two more have been approved.
- Dharmanagar border haat foundation stone will also be laid very soon.
- Border Haats:
- It is a unique way of duty-free trade between two countries.
- In these haats, locally grown products are sold to people living within a radius of 5 Km of the Haat.
- This concept has been adopted for the wellbeing of people from remote areas along the border.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Infrastructure and Energy
7. Narendra Singh Tomar flagged off 1000th Trip of ‘Kisan Rail’ of Central Railway.
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar along with Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw flagged off the 1000th trip of Kisan Rail of Central Railway.
- The train from Savda, Maharashtra having 23 coaches reached Adarsh Nagar, Delhi with 453 tons of banana.
- So far, 3.45 lacs tonnes farm produce has been transported by Central Railway.
- Kisan Rail is an initiative that helps farmers to transport their agricultural produce to distant marketplaces quickly.
- Kisan Rail is the flagship initiative of the Ministry of Railways that was announced during the Budget 2020-21.
- The Kisan Rail with frozen containers will build a national cold supply chain for perishables like fish, meat, milk, fruits, etc.
- First Kisan Rail was started between Devlali Station of Maharashtra and Danapur Railway Station of Bihar.
- The first Kisan Rail of South India was started between Anantpur and New Delhi.
- The 100th Kisan Rail was started from Sangola in Maharashtra to Shalimar in West Bengal.
Topic: Important Days
8. World Interfaith Harmony Week: 1-7 February
- World Interfaith Harmony Week is observed every year during the first week of February.
- It is observed to promote harmony between all people regardless of their faith.
- It was first proposed by King Abdullah II of Jordan at the United Nations in 2010.
- In 2010, the UN General Assembly declared the first week of February as World Interfaith Harmony Week.
- “Faith and Spiritual Leadership to Combat Stigma and Conflict During Pandemic Recovery” is the theme of this year’s World Interfaith Harmony Week.
- The World Interfaith Harmony Week is based on the pioneering work of ‘The Common Word’ initiative. It was started in 2007 for dialogue between Muslim and Christian religious leaders.
Topic: International News
9. World's first hydrogen-powered flying boat will be launched in Dubai.
- In Dubai, the world's first hydrogen-powered flying boat will be launched.
- The JET ZeroEmission, a Swiss company, has entered into an agreement to manufacture and operate 'Jet' with UAE-based Zenith Marine Services and US-based DWYN.
- The ‘JET' is equipped with cutting-edge features and technology, allowing it to fly over the water at a speed of 40 knots.
- Boat has two fuel cells, an air conditioner, and other eco-friendly technologies. It can accommodate 8-12 passengers.
- During the next COP28 preparatory meetings in November 2023, "THE JET" cutting-edge fuel cell technology will be delivered in Dubai for an inaugural flight.
- The Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 has also been launched by Dubai.
- Dubai aims to produce 75% of its energy needs from clean sources by 2050 under this strategy.
Topic: Banking System
10. Independence Co-operative Bank's licence has been cancelled by the RBI.
- License of the Nashik-based Independence Co-operative Bank Ltd has been cancelled by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 2 February 2022.
- The Bank ceased to close banking business with the effect from February 03, 2022.
- The RBI has requested Maharashtra's Commissioner for Cooperation and Registrar of Cooperative Societies to issue an order for winding up the bank and to appoint a liquidator.
- Under the rules of the DICGC Act, 1961, every depositor would receive deposit insurance claim amount up to a monetary ceiling of Rupees five lakh from DICGC.
11. Government approves continuation of Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations.
- The Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations is the flagship scheme of the central government.
- For the finance commission cycle 2021-22 to 2025-26, the government has approved continuing the Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations.
- The Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations is the main source of funding for the major national and international competitions.
- This scheme provides funding for the preparation of the Olympic Games, Para-Olympics, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, etc.
- The financial support given by the government is used by National Sports Federations to conduct national coaching camps, procure sports equipment and provide training.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Science and Technology
12. India’s one of the most powerful supercomputers installed at IISc.
- One of the most powerful supercomputers in India, Param Pravegam, has been installed and commissioned by the Indian Institute of Science.
- It is installed under the National Supercomputing Mission. It will help in diverse research and educational pursuits.
- It has a total supercomputing capacity of 3.3 petaflops. It has been designed by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
- Most of the components of this supercomputer have been manufactured and assembled within India.
- National Supercomputing Mission has supported the deployment of 10 supercomputer systems so far. National Supercomputing Mission is implemented by C-DAC and IISc.
- The Param Pravegam system consists of an ATOS BullSequana XH2000 series system.
- PARAM SIDDHI AI is the fastest supercomputer in India. Param 8000 is the first supercomputer of India.
Topic: Important Days
13. World Cancer Day: 4 February
- Every year on 4 February World Cancer Day is observed around the world.
- It is observed to raise awareness about cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- ‘Close the Care Gap’ is the theme of World Cancer Day 2022-2024. It is focused on identifying global disparities in cancer care.
- World Cancer Day was started on 4 February 2000 during the World Cancer Conference for the New Millennium in Paris.
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. Chemotherapy is used in the treatment of Cancer.
14. Chennai Super Kings becomes India's First Unicorn Sports Enterprise.
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) has become India's First Unicorn Sports Enterprise.
- It has touched a market cap of Rs 7,600 crores and its share price in the grey market is around Rs 210-225.
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) led by Mahendra Singh Dhoni won its fourth IPL title in Dubai in 2021.
- The shares of Chennai Super Kings Cricket Limited (CSKCL) touched their all-time high in the unlisted market on 26 October.
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) is owned majorly by Chennai Super Kings Cricket Ltd and India Cements.