- 1. Assam government renamed Rajiv Gandhi National Park as Orang National Park.
- 2. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting constituted a committee to review guidelines of Journalist Welfare Scheme.
- 3. ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign launched by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- 4. Harvinder Singh wins India's first ever archery medal in the Paralympics.
- 5. IISc, ISRO researchers develop device for biological experiments in space.
- 6. Arunchal Pradesh government launched AtmaNirbhar Krishi Yojna and AtmaNirbhar Bagwani Yojna.
- 7. India and United States signed Project Agreement for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.
- 8. Yoshihide Suga to step down as Japan's Prime Minister.
- 9. SJVN has been awarded with Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021.
- 10. Egypt is hosting 'Bright Star' joint military drill.
- 11. Alejandro Prieto’s photograph wins Bird Photographer of the Year (BPOTY) 2021.
- 12. J-K LG Manoj Sinha launches Rural Enterprises Acceleration Programme for women associated with SHGs.
- 13. APEDA signs MoU with ICAR-Indian Institute of Millet Research (ICAR-IIMR).
New Year Offer get 20% Off
Use Coupon code PENDULUMEDU
Topic: Environment and Ecology
1. Assam government renamed Rajiv Gandhi National Park as Orang National Park.
- Assam government announced to rename Rajiv Gandhi National Park as Orang National Park.
- It is located on the north bank of the Brahmaputra and is the oldest wildlife reserve in the state.
- It is spread over an area of 79.28 km2. It has rich flora and fauna, including great Indian rhinoceros, pygmy hog, Asian elephant, wild water buffalo, and Bengal tiger.
- It was declared as Wildlife Sanctuary in 1985 and later it was upgraded to National Park, and in 2016, recognized as a Tiger Reserve.
- It is also known as ‘Mini Kaziranga’ due to its similarity in topography with Kaziranga and the rich population of the one-horned rhino.
- Assam currently has seven national parks: Kaziranga, Manas, Orang, Nameri, Dibru-Saikhowa, Raimona and Dehing Patkai.
Topic: Committees/ Commissions/Taskforces
2. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting constituted a committee to review guidelines of Journalist Welfare Scheme.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has formed a committee to review the existing guidelines of the Journalists Welfare Scheme.
- The ten-member committee will be headed by Ashok Kumar Tandon, renowned Journalist and Member, Prasar Bharati.
- The Committee will submit its report within two months. Its recommendation will help the government in framing new guidelines for Journalists Welfare Scheme.
- Occupational, Safety, Health, and Working Condition Code 2020 has broadened the definition of working Journalists.
Topic: Government Schemes and Initiatives
3. ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign launched by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign was launched by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal from Mumbai on 03 September.
- The Minister launched a campaign by distributing medicinal plant saplings to citizens.
- As part of the campaign, National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) distributed medicinal saplings and Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Science (CCRA), Ministry of Ayush distributed Ayurvedic medicines to the public.
- Mr. Sonowal also visited Mumbai Port Trust (MPT). MPT officials apprised him about salient features of the newly constructed 5th Oil berth, which is the largest berth in terms of capacity.
- Dr. Munjapara Mahendrabhai, Minister of State, for Ayush launched the campaign from Ayush Bhawan by distributing medicinal plants to staff.
- ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign has been launched by Ayush Ministry from more than 45 locations across the country on 03 September.
- Total 21 states participated in the launch activities in which more than 2 lakh saplings were distributed.
- The campaign aims to distribute medicinal plant saplings to 75 lakh households across the country in one year.
(Source: News on AIR)
4. Harvinder Singh wins India's first ever archery medal in the Paralympics.
- Harvinder Singh has won India's first-ever archery medal in the Paralympics.
- Harvinder has won the Bronze medal in the men's individual recurve archery event at the ongoing Tokyo Paralympics. He defeated Kim Min Su of Korea.
- He was also the first athlete from India to win a gold medal at a major para competition in the 2018 Asian Games.
- Avani Lekhara has won a Bronze medal in the 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1 event. This is her second medal at the Tokyo Paralympics.
- She became the first Indian woman to win 2 Paralympic medals. She had earlier won the Gold medal in 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1 event.
- She had already become the first Indian shooter to win a gold at the Paralympics.
- Tokyo 2020 Paralympics are being held in Tokyo, Japan between 24 August and 5 September 2021. United by Emotion is the motto of Tokyo 2020 Paralympics.
Topic: Science and Technology
5. IISc, ISRO researchers develop device for biological experiments in space.
- Researchers of the Indian Institute of Science and the Indian Space Research Organization have jointly developed a self-contained device to cultivate microorganisms in space.
- It will help scientists to carry out biological experiments in outer space. It can be used to track the growth of bacteria named Sporosarcina pasteurii in space.
- IISc and ISRO have used an LED and photodiode sensor to track bacterial growth by measuring the optical density or scattering of light. The device has separate compartments for different experiments.
- The device can be also used for studying other organisms such as worms, and for non-biological experiments.
Topic: State News/ Arunachal Pradesh
6. Arunchal Pradesh government launched AtmaNirbhar Krishi Yojna and AtmaNirbhar Bagwani Yojna.
- Arunachal Pradesh government launched AtmaNirbhar Krishi Yojna and AtmaNirbhar Bagwani Yojna. The schemes are part of the AtmaNirbhar program announced during the Budget session.
- It will benefit farmers and Self Help Groups (SHGs) across the state. Both schemes are unique as they are based on front-ended subsidies.
- The AtmaNirbhar Krishi Yojna under the department of Agriculture will subsume Chief Minister’s Sashakt Kisan Yojna and Chief Minister’s Samuh Yojna.
- No land document like Land Possession Certificate (LPC) will be required for SHGs to get the benefit of the schemes.
- The schemes will be implemented through a state-level committee and district-level committees. The government has allocated Rs 60 crore for each scheme.
7. India and United States signed Project Agreement for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.
- Ministry of Defence and US Department of Defence signed a Project Agreement (PA) for Air-Launched Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (ALUAV) under Defence Technology & Trade Initiative.
- The agreement is a significant step towards deepening defense technology ties between India and the US.
- The Project Agreement (PA) has created a blueprint for cooperation between the US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), the Indian Air Force, and the Defense Research and Development Organization.
- Under the project agreement, the ALUAV prototype will be designed and developed. The Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) and Aerospace Systems Directorate are the principal organizations for the execution of PA.
- The Project Agreement (PA) is part of the Memorandum of Agreement signed between India and the United states in 2006.
Topic: International News
8. Yoshihide Suga to step down as Japan's Prime Minister.
- Yoshihide Suga will resign from the post of Japan's Prime Minister. He has announced that he would not seek re-election as ruling-party leader.
- Yoshihide Suga became Prime Minister after Shinzo Abe stepped down over health concerns in last September.
- Japan is facing its worst phase of the Covid wave. People are not happy with Yoshihide Suga's leadership because the government did not handle the Covid situation properly. Mr. Suga's approval ratings dropped to an all-time low.
- Yoshihide Suga is also facing criticism for organizing the Olympic games despite the Covid wave.
(Source: News on AIR)
Topic: Awards and Prizes
9. SJVN has been awarded with Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021.
- In the category of Best Growth Performance-Power, Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) has been conferred with the Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021.
- The award has been presented during a virtual conference titled India’s Top 500 Companies 2021. During the event, several eminent dignitaries addressed the session and presented Corporate Awards 2021.
- Now, SJVN has also entered into Thermal Power, Wind and Solar energy generation, and electricity transmission.
- SJVN has set an ambitious target of achieving 5000 MW installed capacity by 2023 and 12000 MW by 2030.
- Dun & Bradstreet has been compiling the list of India’s Top 500 Companies for more than two decades.
- Dun & Bradstreet – Corporate Award 2021.
- It is given to companies for their role as key contributors in India's economic growth.
- The awards were presented across 37 categories, including sectoral performance and theme-based categories.
Some Important winners are:
Tata Consumer Products Limited
Best Growth Performance - Banks
Bandhan Bank Limited
Best Growth Performance - Software and BPM
Best Growth Performance - Chemicals
Deepak Nitrite Limited
Topic: Defense News
10. Egypt is hosting 'Bright Star' joint military drill.
- Egypt is hosting the 'Bright Star' joint military drill. It is being held on the Mohamed Naguib military base near the Mediterranean Sea.
- It is one of the largest and most important world military drills. Twenty-one countries are participating in this joint military drill.
- The US, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia, France, Britain, Greece, and Italy are taking part in this military drill.
- The Bright Star multinational military drill was started in 1980 as part of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.
- It is hosted by Egypt in cooperation with the US every two years. It begins with coalition interoperability training.
Topic: Awards and Prizes
11. Alejandro Prieto’s photograph wins Bird Photographer of the Year (BPOTY) 2021.
- Winning photos of Bird Photographer of the Year (BPOTY) 2021 competition have been released.
- This year’s overall winner is the photo by Mexican photographer Alejandro Prieto in which a road runner bird stops in its tracks at the U.S.-Mexico border wall.
- Prieto said that he had watched many animals reach the wall and return back. The border wall poses a real threat to biodiversity in the area through habitat fragmentation.
- Bird Photographer of the Year (BPOTY) is the leading bird photography competition. The overall winner of the competition gets £5,000 cash prize and title of Bird Photographer of the Year.
Topic: State News/Jammu and Kashmir
12. J-K LG Manoj Sinha launches Rural Enterprises Acceleration Programme for women associated with SHGs.
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has launched Rural Enterprises Acceleration Programme for women associated with Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The programme is titled as ‘Saath’. LG Sinha said that ‘Saath’ initiative will stress on mentoring and market linkages of products created by these women.
- Syed Sherish Asgar, the Mission Director of the Jammu and Kashmir Rural Livelihoods mission said that initially, workshops will be held for 5000 women.
- Out of 5000 women, 500 will be selected for intensive training and further 100 will be selected for mentoring.
- Asgar said that women will be provided training in ten different sectors including Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Poultry, Handicraft, and Handloom.
13. APEDA signs MoU with ICAR-Indian Institute of Millet Research (ICAR-IIMR).
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed MoU with ICAR-Indian Institute of Millet Research (ICAR-IIMR) to boost exports prospects and farmers’ income.
- The MoU focuses on promotion of commercial cultivation of processable varieties of Millet.
- It envisages creation of market linkages with farmers and Farmer Producers Organizations.
- Its aim is to build export centric ecosystem and value chain for millets. APEDA and ICAR-IIMR would work for developing knowledge on understanding of markets, consumer preferences etc.
- Both organizations would work on creation of a Millet Export Promotion Forum in collaboration with all the key stakeholders.
- Indian Institute of Millet Research is located in Hyderabad, Telangana.